Possibly the worst decision the devs have ever made so far.

BeefTenderloin

I'd forgotten about all the hatred but now that I've been reminded I may start using comic sans just to stir it up. I barely ever see it used, it's clear and legible, and it produces humour like the above, and perhaps even below, so I'm all in favour.

How can people bring themselves to defend comic sans in public? Do you hide your face in shame when you go out? Or are you all just primary school teachers?

As someone dating a primary school teacher trained to deal with special needs kids, my opinion of CS has changed dramatically. For most dyslexic kids the clean, smart fonts we use day in day out can be difficult to read, whether it's because all the letters look too similar (pqdb) or the 'drops' on the letters aren't long enough to make some letters distinguisable (qo go ) CS might not be popular but all the letters are very different from ane another and they have the added benefit that the letters aren't mirrored.

Sorry, I'm just laughing at all of these people who really hate Comic Sans for absolutely no reason. The OP is excused because he was joking.

Let me explain. For anything that is meant to look professional (such as body text, a note, an essay, or a title/logo) Comic Sans is inappropriate because it's a Casual script, and none of the casual scripts look good in those situations, just like regular handwriting would. The Kerbals don't know that though, so while they are a competent species, they are just goofy enough to write a warning in Sharpie.

Edited by AlternNocturn

As someone who is currently taking Typography in college, I like the use of Comic Sans here. It's totally Kerbal and looks like someone just scrawled on the tank with a marker. Please keep it!

EDIT: Wait a sec, you're allowed to post screenshots of the experimentals? No NDA?

This is a screenshot from a youtube video, so it is in the public domain already.

Regarding the subject, I think there should be a "set font" option for the displayed text in KSP. That should allow you to make the descriptions and reports as easy or as hard to read as you like.

I'm always surprised that kerbals apparently write in English, but speak in backward Spanish. How does that work?

Clearly all signage on Kerbal vessels has been translated to English for the player's convenience. Seeing everything written in backwards Spanish (or in characters that nobody can even read) would cut down a lot on the comedy value of a lot of the IVA views. Either that, or by some remarkable coincidence the Kerbal written language perfectly resembles English no matter the syntax differences involved. I'd go with theory number one, personally...

Comic Sans (and other things done "because it's cute") has a place for use. For example, take an email with orange Comic Sans font on a confetti background. If it is a personal email, it's fine. When you send it from a .gov address as part of a business process, it's not.

This is an excellent choice. Very Kerbal.

Using Comic Sans for professional purposes in science and technology has alway been frowned upon because it's just silly. It looks dumb, nonprofessional and inappropriate. It's ok for children in schools.

Given all this, I'm happy to see it being used for "science" in KSP. I'm sure it was done on purpose, as a joke. Bravo, Squad! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.