KSP store VS Steam

Martonaut

I saw that the new update had been released. I fired up Steam. Before it was even fully running it had updated KSP for me. Beautiful!

Steam ain't perfect, but neither is it anywhere near the horror-show its detractors always seem to claim. And, as others have already mentioned, the "Steam version" of KSP runs perfectly fine without Steam, so you could use it as just an updater if you wanted and otherwise have it completely shut down while you played KSP all day long.

I use KSP store

1. I don't have to go into Steam every time I want to use it.

2. I can keep an archive of every version (I have them all the way back to 0.18.4 when i first started) without Steam updating unexpectedly.

3. It has happened before where Steam doesn't know there is an update.

4. All the proceeds go to Squad, unlike on Steam.

Yeah, just want to add my 2 cents to clear up this misconception (I was worried about these things too when I was deciding where to buy KSP). The game is identical to the store version even if you get it on steam, as in, you can play it without steam by opening the .exe directly in the steam app folder. You can even yank the whole game out of the steam app folder, stick it somewhere else and it's functionally identical.

First thing I do after an update is copy the new version out of the steam app folder and put it somewhere else. I've archived each version since I bought the game this way, and only access it through steam to get updates :)

Just in case any future buyers are worried about this kind of thing.

Edit:

Oh yeah, and steam downloaded it a few minutes for me. I updated this morning. And, yes, if you want to make sure all the proceeds go to Squad, then I suppose it might be better to get it off the store. I'm not sure how much Valve takes, or how that works at all. You can always buy it from the Squad store and transfer it to steam afterwards.

Edited by Wheffle

Took a few minutes via steam as always. Dunno why people hate steam. It just simplifies everything and you get good deals from time to time.

It's not difficult to understand why some of us don't like it. There is a bunch of crap in their EULA that if you don't read carefully can catch you with your pants down. I don't see any issues as far as KSP is concerned. I'm still not allowing Steam access to anything on my PC. I guess the main issue I have is permission. They should ask for my permission before making changes to ANYTHING on my PC. Oh yeah, and no refunds for any reason. Be sure that what you're buying is what you want, and that it's gonna work.

I can see why it's no refunds. That makes the most sense in the world. You could make a copy for something that isn't dependent on steam then refund. Free game. What do you mean by access? Like updating a game? I would be so annoyed by the constant updating of my 100-something games that I would never use steam. It's a one time thing. They ask once and never again. It's that way for ANY computer program.

I own both versions. The Steam copy updated in seconds upon launching the Steam client when the update release was announced. My store copy took somewhat longer - the first attempt to download was very slow and eventually timed out (on a 50+ Mbps connection). Tried it again and it only took a couple of minutes.

I have kept (and will keep) KSP Store version ... not because I dislike Steam in any way (I have enough Steam games I like to play) ...

but rather because things are more convenient ...

you can better keep different versions of KSP next to each other

and in order to get to the necessary frolders to store mods you don´t have to navigate through such a deep directory structure, just in order to get to the KSP directory

I can see why it's no refunds. That makes the most sense in the world.

What? No.

You could make a copy for something that isn't dependent on steam then refund. Free game.

The whole point of Steam is Steamworks. Make no mistake, Steam would not exist without it. With that known, surely the super-duper unbeatable DRM (lol) can prevent access to a refunded title?

Why bother buying and getting a refund when you can get all kinds of cracked games on the 'bay anyway? Aren't most games stuffed up to the gills with restrictions management now anyway? Isn't that supposed to prevent unauthorised copying? If it doesn't, and that's why no-refunds, then why do we have it in the first place?

And what does Steam having a no-refunds policy have to do with games that don't depend on Steam?

What do you mean by access? Like updating a game? I would be so annoyed by the constant updating of my 100-something games that I would never use steam. It's a one time thing. They ask once and never again. It's that way for ANY computer program.

Dunno about you, but I will never enable automatic silent patching. It's the #1 way of coming back to a completely borked computer because the people releasing the patch fouled up bad. Also a great way of firing up a game to find out the developers have nerfed a load of stuff. Just go read up on Microsoft Patch Tuesday cock-ups, and that's on publically released, supposedly production quality software. You be a guinea pig if you like, especially with alpha software that more closely resembles something held together with chewing gum, sticky tape and a prayer from the Book of Jeb.

I can see why it's no refunds. That makes the most sense in the world. You could make a copy for something that isn't dependent on steam then refund. Free game. What do you mean by access? Like updating a game? I would be so annoyed by the constant updating of my 100-something games that I would never use steam. It's a one time thing. They ask once and never again. It's that way for ANY computer program.

How would you like it if Amazon or Walmart or whatever retail store that you have in your area adopted the same policy? No refunds whatsoever.

I guess it would be easy to cheat the system, but as it's already been pointed out, it's easy to cheat the system anyway. And that get's into a whole different arena. Do we adopt a system that punishes everybody for the indiscretions of one or a few? As far as access goes, let me just say that first of all, whenever you allow someone to automatically update files on your computer, you are trusting whoever is on the other end. Steam doesn't have my trust. I have seen the steam client update itself even after I told it not to by changing the settings. That alone raises red flags for me. That is the kind of thing I'm referring to when I say access to my PC.

Edited by Otis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.