Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

If the problem is indeed DirectX related, could someone with the problem try OpenGL mode on x64?

Sure, give me a minute or two to start on a clean .24.2 save.

Ok, I ran it by using a shortcut and typing

-force-opengl

at the end of the path string

The results were the same as before. Explody.

Edited by sharpspoonful

This fix is not as simple as usual compatibility upgrade, unfortunately. I've been digging at the function for ages now and i still don't understand why the bug is occurring for the 64 bit and not the 32 bit.

Speculation (I haven't seen KAS or any underlying related code ): By those two discussions, it appears, than CPU does not uses floats or doubles for its operations, but uses something called FPU, which is an 80 bit floating point number. When DirectX comes into the picture, some strange things happen. It appears that when DirectX is initiating, it changes the precision of calculations on the FPU.

So, when KSP detaches parts, it gives a little punch to new ships, so they move apart. Say, that punch is a little less than 1, by 0.00000001 as an example. In a 32 bit code, this number after the affection of DirectX can become 0.000000003 which is a little closer to 1. But for the 64 bit app, there are 32 bits more to carry the mistake and it can become -0.000000001 that is bigger than 1 and if we multiply it by "explosion factor" this will give us more than 1 which leads to "explode(part)". The fact that the detaching works with lower deltaT somewhat supports the idea, as the multiplications would be by smaller numbers, thus less range for error to accumulate.

It can be completely wrong, as I am unfamiliar with such low level coding and this is just a hunch.

Might be the case, but the current decoupling is running at breakforce=0f default, where the internal code comments something about the caller handling the decouple instead of it.

I will add actual punch to the decoupling method and test how it works then. From personal testing, What I've observed so far suggests an error in the ordering of events on x64 but not x32, kinda like a race condition that causes the teleporting part (it teleports onto your back, then back to ship, then onto your back again - observed using TimeControl mod) to pull/push the spaceship. I have no idea why that's necessary...

Testing so far causes unique fixes and bugs: (usually one of the following)

1. part teleports onto backpack 99% of the time unless ship kills you. ship still explodes, less violently depending on your orientation and rotation to the part.

2. part teleports onto backpack. ship does not explode. part feels zero physics and doesn't move with you, if you drop it, then nudge it, it flies away with zero drag.

3. part teleports onto backpack. ship explodes. part doesn't fully pair up with kerbal, and just drops to the ground. Part can still be dropped, but dropping it doesn't do anything.

4. part teleports onto a relative location but not on the backpack. Part moves with kerbal, does not collide. Ship explodes.

5. reattaching part to spacecraft crash. ship also explodes when you grab stuff btw.

Also wish people could stop bothering Majiir. Majiir is currently busy with RL stuff and he is merely maintaining the project, meaning that this Grab segment of code probably has not been changed since KospY (the mod's original author) last committed it.

Also. i don't know what's the big deal here. Pipes still work! (I think they do anyway) Just build your outposts with Piping and stuff properly planned out and you can still use that Extraplanatary Launchpad to make a base. You can still link them. You just can't 'grab' anything effectively unless you feel like a risk taker :P

Pipes still work! (I think they do anyway) Just build your outposts with Piping and stuff properly planned out and you can still use that Extraplanatary Launchpad to make a base. You can still link them. You just can't 'grab' anything effectively unless you feel like a risk taker :P

Well.. just hope you have them in teh correct orientation from the begiining and don't need to move them!

I tried linking pipe end connectors and it just blew up the ship I was connecting from! that god I had heard about things not working and had done an F5 before trying the connection.

The smaller connectors still work though.

do you think this bug can be fixed or is it a unity problem

It's most likely a Unity problem. I recompiled KAS for 0.24.2 (needed a small change to compile) and it seems to work well in linux (64-bit), so any issues with 64-bit windows are Unity bugs.

It's most likely a Unity problem. I recompiled KAS for 0.24.2 (needed a small change to compile) and it seems to work well in linux (64-bit), so any issues with 64-bit windows are Unity bugs.

could you posibly try it out on kethane and PM that recompiled DLL to me? i'm a fellow linux user.

Sharing is caring :D

If one guy can produce a resource mining plugin in 3 days and another have done a massive progress on a new planetary API in 2 i bet someone can trow few codes and write a new KAS :)

Ok folks, it's time to chill again. First of all, let's remember that "time from first post" to "time of working screenshots" is...not indicative of how much time is actually spent on the project. It's also a big difference between "Hey, I can show off something that works a bit" and "I fixed all the bugs." I dare say those two WIP releases are just that--WIP.

Majiir has said his piece. I suggest people follow his advice, and if you have a serious offer of help to make, use that PM button.

Just got back from camping (great sunny weekend in old Blighty!), found KSP has had 2 hotfixes in the meantime. Recompiled KAS, tested, still works just fine.

Debian "Jessie" 64 bit. NVidia GeForce 8800GTS, AMD X2 240.

EDIT: Just tried using Win7 x64 on the same hardware and yes, things blow up. (Although I can take/store items in containers just fine).

Edited by micha

I understand all this hype and complaining, but people do need to chill it will come when it comes. But I understand the frustration because of the compassion they have for KSP and KAS, I havn't even played 0.24 yet and want untill KAS is fixed and up and running. But there needs to be a type of KAS in-game.

If one guy can produce a resource mining plugin in 3 days and another have done a massive progress on a new planetary API in 2 i bet someone can trow few codes and write a new KAS :)

By all means, 'trow few codes' and get something that's bug free out to the rest of us. It's so easy, after all. :huh:

Alright. I patched the Grab Part Explosion bug with a very rudimentary, but working fix. I have no idea how to update the compatibility thing to remove the alert, but it does not impact performance afaik. If anyone could patch the compatibility warning, it'd be much appreciated :)

Right now, if you grab something there is a .4 second delay while the game catches up to prevent the explosion.

Issues: Solar panels can drop onto the ground and break, but other than that, everything is fine.

Source & DLL:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62530944/KAS-master-xrave-unofficial-hotfix.zip

Alright. I patched the Grab Part Explosion bug with a very rudimentary, but working fix. I have no idea how to update the compatibility thing to remove the alert, but it does not impact performance afaik. If anyone could patch the compatibility warning, it'd be much appreciated :)

You should be able to just replace line 59, CompatibilityChecker.cs with "return (true);"

Right now, if you grab something there is a .4 second delay while the game catches up to prevent the explosion.

Issues: Solar panels can drop onto the ground and break, but other than that, everything is fine.

Source & DLL:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62530944/KAS-master-xrave-unofficial-hotfix.zip

Line 55, three constants, Compatible major = 0 , Compatible Minor = 23, Compatible Revision = 5 that all equals to 0.23.5, the ksp version the mod was last made for, change those numbers accordingly, to 0 , 24 and 2. and recompile, then it shouldent yell at you!

Line 55, three constants, Compatible major = 0 , Compatible Minor = 23, Compatible Revision = 5 that all equals to 0.23.5, the ksp version the mod was last made for, change those numbers accordingly, to 0 , 24 and 2. and recompile, then it shouldent yell at you!

Anyone confirm that this fixes anything?

Because circumstances will have me unable to update KAS in a timely manner, I am temporarily allowing the distribution of the KAS plugin modified for 0.24 compatibility purposes. Please do not distribute any models, textures or other art assets, and please do not distribute any part configuration files. If you'd like to balance part costs, please use a ModuleManager patch. This permission applies to the plugin only. (The KAS project has a number of contributors, and it's always a challenge to ensure all creators' rights are respected.) Please link to modifications in this thread and avoid third-party sites like Curse. (Something like Dropbox or Google Drive for hosting is fine.)

This exception shall expire as soon as I release an official update, so please bear that in mind. This is intended to allow volunteers to address compatibility issues for the players, not to otherwise grant distribution rights to the KAS plugin.

Here is a 64bit recompile of KAS with Xraves fix. This version has the compatibility version checker updated and has a smaller delay so objects should not smack the ground. I have done some testing and with this smaller delay and the fix still seems to be working with no explosions but I would take that with a grain of salt.

In no way am I representing Majiir or is this an official patch. As always I would make a backup of KAS before installing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kaie9rnpi...64bit_24_2.zip

*EDIT* some very few people get a bug where they can't grab stuff from containers so I made a few altercations that may have fixed it.(This is the newest version BUT is STILL in TEsting)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f4x4xcu2d...64bit_24_3.zip

In order to fix grabbing Radial parachutes while on kerbin you must go into your KAS plugin Directory and open addModule.cfg and scroll to bottom and look in parachuteRadial and remove "physicJoint = true" and save the cfg.

**Radial Parachute fix picture = http://imgur.com/a/EkmuM#0

Edited by JeffersonFlight
Nothing to see here. Apologies for the inconvenience.