Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

So I just got remind of an idea I thought of a while ago. You know how kerbals on EVA can repair wheels? And you know how, after a rough landing, sometimes the static solar panels get broken? Well, it'd make as much sense to be able to repair broken static solar panels on EVA as it does to be able to repair wheels i.e it absolutely makes sense and I don't know why it's not already happening. Yeah, the deployable ones get broken off and are obviously beyond repair, but the static ones never have any visible damage.

I'm asking here because KAS does a lot to do with EVA activities and maintenance, thought it might be nice to implement before the stock game does..

You don't have the latest version of something (probably KSP). The ARM pack counts as a version and is required by the latest versions of these mods. The warning displayed comes from CompatibilityChecker, which is built into both KAS and MechJeb, among others.

Yep, assumed patches were for earlier versions. Way betta now. Thank you.

So I just got remind of an idea I thought of a while ago. You know how kerbals on EVA can repair wheels? And you know how, after a rough landing, sometimes the static solar panels get broken? Well, it'd make as much sense to be able to repair broken static solar panels on EVA as it does to be able to repair wheels i.e it absolutely makes sense and I don't know why it's not already happening. Yeah, the deployable ones get broken off and are obviously beyond repair, but the static ones never have any visible damage.

I'm asking here because KAS does a lot to do with EVA activities and maintenance, thought it might be nice to implement before the stock game does..

You can "repair" them with KAS though if you brought spares.

Unrelated question: Is there any way that it might be possible to link the strut points in the editor? I'd like to have quantum-strut-like functionality but without the very magic-y behaviour of quantum struts (really I just want a way to tie-down things in a spaceplane on launch, or even things on fairings and the like, but then be able to remove it all with EVA once in orbit).

You can "repair" them with KAS though if you brought spares.

I wouldn't need to bring spares if I could repair them. In the same way I don't need to bring spares of the tiny rover wheels, because I can repair them. What if my craft doesn't have a KAS box on it to store spares in, which happens fairly often as it's not something I think to bring unless I KNOW it's going to be rough.

Would you have said the same thing to someone asking if they could repair rover wheels on EVA?

Besides, I'd only want a couple of panels - carting around a (if I'm honest) pretty bulky box with like two panels in seems like a waste. Yes, I could fill it with other things, but I don't need other things. Everything I'd need is already attached to my craft. If I do need other things (for example pipe joints, pylons etc.. base stuff, basically), then I don't want to have to fill up space with panels for the same reason I don't have to fill up space with the tiny rover wheels.

I've been using this mod to make my asteroid bases look a bit more anchored down. But, I came to my asteroid, and found one of my modules about twenty feet away, connected only by its (now insanely stretched) struts and pipes. The claw registers as still attached. What happened, and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Use stock parts and claws to dock asteroids together. Don't rely on KAS for that as it obviously fails upon physics load.

Oh. Obviously. Thank you. They WERE docked together naturally. The asteroid was attached via claw. After that, I attached struts and pipes from the asteroid to the ship. This works ship-to-ship. Why is it not working asteroid to asteroid?

Ah, I see the problem now. Asteroids are a different entity even though they're kinda vehicles. Many KAS parts have been fiddly with asteroids, including clipping right through them. Why did you need to attach pipes to the asteroid? Pipes are super rigid and there's nothing in the asteroid to pipe a resource to or from. Just visuals?

Ah, I see the problem now. Asteroids are a different entity even though they're kinda vehicles. Many KAS parts have been fiddly with asteroids, including clipping right through them. Why did you need to attach pipes to the asteroid? Pipes are super rigid and there's nothing in the asteroid to pipe a resource to or from. Just visuals?

Basically, yes. The end goal was to make it look like the various bits on the asteroid were bolted there a lot more firmly than their own claw. I was running a pipeline around its surface between my hab module and my power station, and had strutted the hab module to the asteroid. Nothing KAS was on the power station, and it was fine.

When I got into range, the hab module had horizontally shifted perhaps ten or twenty feet, stretching the pipe and the struts. controlling the asteroid didn't cause any explosiveness, and detaching the claw broke the struts, but not the pipe.

When I got into range, the hab module had horizontally shifted perhaps ten or twenty feet, stretching the pipe and the struts. controlling the asteroid didn't cause any explosiveness, and detaching the claw broke the struts, but not the pipe.

Do you have any pictures of that, or at least of the correctly assembled base?

Do you have any pictures of that, or at least of the correctly assembled base?

I'll see if I can replicate the issue, document it, and bring the evidence.

Be right back!

EDIT: Okay, just did a rendezvous to attach some lighting pylons after I re-strutted the hab madule... And everything was right where I left it. Phooey!

Edited by Stargate525

Right, so, I'm still running .23 and I wanted to give KAS another go. I've tried the 0.4.4, 0.4.5 and 0.4.6 releases from GitHub, both on my usual save and on a completely clean one, and I haven't been able to make any of them work.

I've unzipped the folders into GameData and I've tried leaving the KAS folders named as they come (with the release numbers in the title) and also renaming the folder to just 'KAS'. No joy. Any recommendations?

Right, so, I'm still running .23 and I wanted to give KAS another go. I've tried the 0.4.4, 0.4.5 and 0.4.6 releases from GitHub, both on my usual save and on a completely clean one, and I haven't been able to make any of them work.

I've unzipped the folders into GameData and I've tried leaving the KAS folders named as they come (with the release numbers in the title) and also renaming the folder to just 'KAS'. No joy. Any recommendations?

Within that zip file is a gamedata folder, and within that folder is a KAS folder. Place (drag and drop in Windows is the best way I've found) that KAS folder in your game's gamedata folder.

Within that zip file is a gamedata folder, and within that folder is a KAS folder. Place (drag and drop in Windows is the best way I've found) that KAS folder in your game's gamedata folder.

Actually, there isn't. Upon unzipping, I'm left with a folder called 'KAS-0.4.5' or the like. Within that folder is the Parts and Plugin folders, Settings cfg, etc. So there's no issue of doubling up on GameData folders. Which makes me wonder if I'm missing something by downloading the zip files from GitHub.

Actually, there isn't. Upon unzipping, I'm left with a folder called 'KAS-0.4.5' or the like. Within that folder is the Parts and Plugin folders, Settings cfg, etc. So there's no issue of doubling up on GameData folders. Which makes me wonder if I'm missing something by downloading the zip files from GitHub.

I just (re)downloaded the one from Kerbal Spaceport. It's named uploads-2014-04-KAS_v0.4.7.zip and the only thing in it is a Gamedata folder. Within that is a KAS folder. Within THAT are parts, plugins, sounds, and textures folders, and 2 cfg files.

I just (re)downloaded the one from Kerbal Spaceport. It's named uploads-2014-04-KAS_v0.4.7.zip and the only thing in it is a Gamedata folder. Within that is a KAS folder. Within THAT are parts, plugins, sounds, and textures folders, and 2 cfg files.

Yup, same thing happens for me.

With the 0.4.7 release. I'm running .23 and I've already tried that release. I get told upon starting KSP that it doesn't work with my version of the game. Maybe I'm just being dense and not downloading the older versions off GitHub properly. Seems like everything is there, but no dice.

Yup, same thing happens for me.

With the 0.4.7 release. I'm running .23 and I've already tried that release. I get told upon starting KSP that it doesn't work with my version of the game. Maybe I'm just being dense and not downloading the older versions off GitHub properly. Seems like everything is there, but no dice.

Is there a reason why you're not using he current version of KSP? I upgraded from 0.23 to 0.23.5 and got everything running, albeit with a few minor mod problems that were all easily fixed, and are now fixed in the mods' current downloads so nobody else will see the problems I did. Your problem with KAS is going to slowly become a problem with all mods as time goes on.

I belive BigD145 is correct. I don't see a "download this mod from github", and only see a "source" link that goes there. Unless you know how to compile the source to make the mod (I don't) that's not going to help you.

Is there a reason why you're not using he current version of KSP? I upgraded from 0.23 to 0.23.5 and got everything running, albeit with a few minor mod problems that were all easily fixed, and are now fixed in the mods' current downloads so nobody else will see the problems I did. Your problem with KAS is going to slowly become a problem with all mods as time goes on.

I belive BigD145 is correct. I don't see a "download this mod from github", and only see a "source" link that goes there. Unless you know how to compile the source to make the mod (I don't) that's not going to help you.

Don't feel like losing IR to .23.5, among a couple other minor mods. And alright. I've done without KAS for a long time, I'll just keep it up.

Has anyone else had the problem of being unable to right-click on anything on a kerbals back? Whenever I grab a part and the GUI goes away I am unable to do anything about it unless I enter and leave a ship, leaving the part hanging in space until I grab it again. All I get when I try to click on the part is the Kerbal info page with EVA report etc.

Has anyone else had the problem of being unable to right-click on anything on a kerbals back?

Yes! (10 char)

tehe

Yes indeed, about 20 minutes ago this same problem with the small antenna, I'm still investigating. I've just reached the point of restarting the game and switching to the Kerbal only to find him frozen in the classic 'T' position, just grabbed the latest KSP download* and about to try again.

Edit:

The update did allow my kerbal to move again but did nothing for the missing KAS right-click menu problem: Grab the part, close the menu, right click will never show the KAS menu again.

I tried the enter/leave ship trick, it didn't help but did improve my eva skills :P

Finally, I went back to a save, eva'd, grabbed the part, DID NOT close the KAS menu and went on to attach the part. So, my fix for now is grab but do not close the menu.

*I had the original 0.23.5.459 release, SQUAD has since released an update 0.23.5.464 which I believe fixes some frozen kerbal problems.

Edited by ecat

Yes! (10 char)

tehe

Yes indeed, about 20 minutes ago this same problem with the small antenna, I'm still investigating. I've just reached the point of restarting the game and switching to the Kerbal only to find him frozen in the classic 'T' position, just grabbed the latest KSP download and about to try again.

Well I'm glad that it's not only me. Please post what you find!