Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I don't entirely understand the forst part of your request, but rotating on other axes is already supported - left alt+b/n and right alt+b/n.

Ok guys, thanks and I think I'll hang myself on one of the evil winch for a while :sealed: as a punishment to haven't take time to read just a few posts above.

This should be added to the doc (not there, just checked).

How does that answer my question?

The keyboard shortcuts work as a workaround to the GUI not showing up. Also, try enabling and disabling the key control on the right click menu, that fixed the GUI for me.

So, maybe I'm missing something, but do the attachable struts actually do anything to increase stability? For instance, if I dock two space station modules, and then attach them as well with several struts, will that reduce the wobble between them?

It seems like that's how they should work (like stock struts, but attachable), but whenever I try to use them this way, it seems not to make a difference...

I didn't see an answer for this yet, so I wanted to take a stab at it myself.

I built a really heavy craft and put it on launch pad. Physics loaded and it immedately started to fall apart. Reloaded it. Hack gravity. Now physics loads and it doesn't fall apart. EVA, use KAS struts in multiple places to strengthen craft. Unhack gravity. Craft does NOT fall apart. Use arrow keys to try to wobble it apart. Craft does NOT fall apart. EVA, unlink all the KAS struts. Use arrow keys to wobble craft. It immediately falls apart.

I believe this evidence points to KAS struts actually strengthening a craft. The struts seem to allow more wobble than stock struts, but did indeed prevent breakage.

A little feature request: when two ships are linked together, give the ability to cut the link (emergency unlink) just in case it is needed.

Today, I tried to do a refuelling, ships was steady, I connect them but... for no reason, they start to play yoyo together, waste almost all monop of a kerbals to dry to reach a ladder or to unlink ships without any success then they finally explode.

If with the ship selected, I was just able to select the link and have a "release/unlink" control, it may have been less dramatic. Unless one day this issue (crazy ships when connected) was fixed once and for all.

For the problem where sometimes right clicking on the part your Kerbal is carrying gives you the context menu for the Kerbal instead of the list of KAS options for the carried part: I think I've fixed it before by switching to a nearby ship with the bracket keys [ ] or if that doesn't work returning to space center and using tracking station to get back. Otherwise, just press H to get into attach mode without using the menu.

And regarding the "Attach on EVA" flag, when the docs say "Allow part to be attached on kerbal eva" they mean "Allow part to be attached to a kerbal who has gone eva". I've tried it - the part becomes one with your Kerbal and can't be removed except by having him enter a command pod, causing it to disappear. Doesn't seem like a very useful option for anything I can think of.

Edited by Tallinu

And regarding the "Attach on EVA" flag, when the docs say "Allow part to be attached on kerbal eva" they mean "Allow part to be attached to a kerbal who has gone eva". I've tried it - the part becomes one with your Kerbal and can't be removed except by having him enter a command pod, causing it to disappear. Doesn't seem like a very useful option for anything I can think of.

I don't see a reason why you should be able to attach this stuff to your guys either, but I've always been able to take the item off of the Kerbal with a 2nd EVA'd Kerbal.

KAS 0.4.7 has been released. The download on Spaceport (link in the first post) has been updated.

This is a compatibility update for the KSP 0.23.5 (ARM) update. There are also some fixes and improvements. Special thanks once again to a.g. for contributing most of them. There are no expected compatibility issues, but it's difficult to test every change against the many possible KAS setups, so please take caution and back up your save files before updating.

Changes in this version (incomplete list to be amended):

• Pipes can now be used as fuel lines.
  • Stack winches consistently let stack fuel flow through if and only if the head is fully pulled in and locked.
  • Fixed an issue with the horizontal stack winch's attach node.
  • Fixed winches being permanently broken by non-port parts attached to the head node. This now allows using a decoupler to continue the stack.
  • Fixed some explosions when saving and then loading vessels with undocked mode winches in orbit.
  • Fixed a serious crash when attaching a port with a plugged winch head to the same vessel as the winch.

This is a compatibility update for the KSP 0.23.5 (ARM) update

Thanks for the update BUT... installing it on a 0.23 (removing previous version), I get a pop-up in the main menu telling me "Incompatible mod detected ... KAS".

A compatibility update which is not backward compatible :huh: dohhhh!! as Homer would said.

(And it seems to be a "lie", as I got KAS debug window and parts are there !)

Edited by Justin Kerbice

It is impossible to have a KAS version that works in both 0.23 and 0.23.5 because of the joint changes.

:( too bad

Is there any way to get as much fixes as possible to previous release ?

(may I call Squad habit to prevent plug-in to work from one version to another a bad one ?)