Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

The Cacteye Telescope Mod uses parts that have their own grabability. Might want to take a look there.

Thanks, but sadly that's not what I need. I can add the grabbability to a part by modifying the part.cfg. What I can't figure out how to do is change it with a modulemanager config. From everything I know it should be as simple as adding the module just like all other modules you can add to anything else. But it simply does not work in-game.

I'm trying to add KAS grabbableness to parts and I can't find a way to do it cleanly. The only way it works is by adding the parts to the GameData\KAS\addModule.cfg along with the other stock parts. Because of this, I have to remember to not overwrite this file in every update and I can't distribute it easily if anybody else wants it.

I've tried making a modulemanager config to add similar lines to stock parts that the KAS parts have, and that did not work. I also tried creating a new addModule.cfg file (named addModule2.cfg) and it didn't load.

It seems that the addModule thing is hard coded to just work as-is and there's no other way to add grabability to a part. I hope I'm wrong. Has anybody else gotten it to work?

It works fine? For example, here's my edit that makes CP_Airbags work:

@PART[cp_airbag*]{
%TechRequired = survivability
%entryCost = 850

MODULE
{

name = ModuleLandingLeg
animationName = Retract
wheelColliderName = col
impactTolerance = 300

}

MODULE
{

name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 10
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False

}
}

The second module is the KAS Grabbabbility module. Copy that?

I love the add to attach parts, and the new bags. This KAS system is getting more and more amazing.

But, there is a glitch.

When i grab the radial parachutes, the Kerbal EVA got overloaded, and lost control. The jet pack have not power enough to control, and keep lost rolling.

Is there a way to manage that? Like a part from KAS to overpower the jetpack, and attack parts on it that is heavier, without losing control.

By the way, Thank you! :)

I'm trying to add KAS grabbableness to parts and I can't find a way to do it cleanly. The only way it works is by adding the parts to the GameData\KAS\addModule.cfg along with the other stock parts. Because of this, I have to remember to not overwrite this file in every update and I can't distribute it easily if anybody else wants it.

I've tried making a modulemanager config to add similar lines to stock parts that the KAS parts have, and that did not work. I also tried creating a new addModule.cfg file (named addModule2.cfg) and it didn't load.

It seems that the addModule thing is hard coded to just work as-is and there's no other way to add grabability to a part. I hope I'm wrong. Has anybody else gotten it to work?

I'd just assume you don't have a modulemanager hooked up. XDDD

@PART[cp_airbag*]{
%TechRequired = survivability
%entryCost = 850

MODULE
{

name = ModuleLandingLeg
animationName = Retract
wheelColliderName = col
impactTolerance = 300

}

MODULE
{

name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 10
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False

}
}

Aaaagh I feel like a moron. I had this:

@PART[rcsTankRadialLong]
{
MODULE[KASModuleGrab]
{
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.15, -0.25)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 50
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}
}

Now it works great. Here's the code for the big RCS tank and the goo container. I can't think of anything else I actually want that isn't already grabbable.

@PART[rcsTankRadialLong]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.15, -0.25)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 50
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

@PART[GooExperiment]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.2, -0.25)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 60
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

What would be real neat is to be able to move all the parts with KAS so a ship could be completely reconfigured in flight. Need to improve the TWR after using tons of fuel? Hop out and remove some of the empty fuel tanks.

What would be real neat is to be able to move all the parts with KAS so a ship could be completely reconfigured in flight. Need to improve the TWR after using tons of fuel? Hop out and remove some of the empty fuel tanks.

There's a code reason you can't do this: Everything that KAS can handle must attach radially. I actually tried to get a small liquid fuel tank to attach and it actually did attach, but it did so radially and didn't work so well other than holding fuel.

Also it's nearly* breaking believability to have the large radial RCS tanks grabbable. Imagine an orange tank!

*or possibly not even nearly breaking believability. Obviously KospY and Majir think it's too big to carry

I've found there is some kind of conflict between this and Remote Tech 2, antennas which have the KAS grabbing module don't plan animations. I don't know if it's something with this mod or RT2, but thought I'd mention it so someone that knows way more about how these work internally might figure that out :)

5thHorseman, and what about the possibility to grab those big things with a winch and a magnet? Could it be possible to do what Galane says this way?

I honestly don't know. I've had no end of troubles with winches so I almost never use them. They're pretty much restricted to tow truck type duty where something fell over and I use a car to pull it back upright. Seems if I do much more than that, explosions occur. Granted, I haven't done much lately with them so maybe they're better now.

I've got a Mun Base with a string of 12 pylons connecting smelter, auger, telescope parts converter, launchpad and Interstellar ISRU. They are mostly linear, with the launchpads branching off from the string midway through. Each pylon has 2 pipe ends and 2 strut ends. There is some vibration in the system and some of the pylons are hovering a little, but they don't seem about to explode right away. I guess the object of building an extraplanetary launchpad is to eventually replace your Mun base with another base somewhere else. I think I can rely on KAS to support the current base until I can use Launchpads to build parts for a new base that is more planned, and that can be more mobile. Connecting 2.5m modules with rover wheels and Clampotron Sr.'s might be even less vulnerable to physics than KAS... then I can move the new base out of render range of the pylon base, except for top-ups.

What is the maximum safe number of pylons?

I've got a Mun Base with a string of 12 pylons connecting smelter, auger, telescope parts converter, launchpad and Interstellar ISRU. They are mostly linear, with the launchpads branching off from the string midway through. Each pylon has 2 pipe ends and 2 strut ends. There is some vibration in the system and some of the pylons are hovering a little, but they don't seem about to explode right away. I guess the object of building an extraplanetary launchpad is to eventually replace your Mun base with another base somewhere else. I think I can rely on KAS to support the current base until I can use Launchpads to build parts for a new base that is more planned, and that can be more mobile. Connecting 2.5m modules with rover wheels and Clampotron Sr.'s might be even less vulnerable to physics than KAS... then I can move the new base out of render range of the pylon base, except for top-ups.

What is the maximum safe number of pylons?

Turn off SAS - your base is (unfortunately) a "vessel", and thinks it has to correct itself.

Hello, I have a problem with KAS and hope somebody can help me with that.

Recently i made a delivery of mining equipment towards the mun useing KAS and a transport ship. Somehow during warping and so on, the connector became visibly deattached, even though the mining equipment and the transporter where still attached to another.

Then this happened. The winch connector is like 15 km out (WTF?!). I really need this winch for the next step of my delivery. I have to use him to attach the mining euqipment to the dropship that lands on the mun. Is there anyway to cheat the winch back into it's locked position?

Any help would be appreciated

What do I need to change in a part's config to make it able to fit in a cargo container?

I want to add the separatrons to deorbit debris :o

I thought I knew, but when I edited the files (wanted to store stuff like the KW RCS thrusters and some other mod's lights), I ended up being able to pick up the command pod and fuel tanks. Equal parts entertaining and annoying.

I love the add to attach parts, and the new bags. This KAS system is getting more and more amazing.

But, there is a glitch.

When i grab the radial parachutes, the Kerbal EVA got overloaded, and lost control. The jet pack have not power enough to control, and keep lost rolling.

Is there a way to manage that? Like a part from KAS to overpower the jetpack, and attack parts on it that is heavier, without losing control.

By the way, Thank you! k_smiley.gif

new bags? Are you talking about the Cargo Transfer Bags?

Aknar. From the bags. I grab a radial parachute, and the jets on the EVA can't control, it keep trying, but i think the shuts are to heavy for the Kerbal or not centered proper. So it keep correcting, with lag, then that increase to total spinning and lost control. I cold manage to put the shut on the other vessel on orbit, but did it in slow motion and with the too vessels super close with other.

I always put the loss of control while holding a parachute down to the fact that the chute is blocking the thrust of the jetpacks, similar to how things can block the thrust of engines.

Yeah, you don't really have control, but it will always thrust in the direction it's pointing - it might only be pointing the right way for a split second, but as long as you thrust in that moment in the right direction, you'll get there. One thing I do to avoid having to cart chutes all over the vessel is not grab it, but go just to edge of interaction, click attach, attach it as far away as I can towards where I want and repeat. Takes a bit longer, but there's no loss of control.

Parachutes are the only part that KAS grabs as physical, so it actually moves the center of mass. The reason for this is some people wanted parachutes to be actually usable (now with Vanguard parachutes, I don't really see the point myself). All other parts are turned to nonphysical, and their mass is simply added to the kerbal, so the center of mass remains in the same location; this however renders engines and similar parts unusable.

It also may improve control if you disable automatic rotation to camera in the options, because then it won't try to change orientation as often.

I always put the loss of control while holding a parachute down to the fact that the chute is blocking the thrust of the jetpacks, similar to how things can block the thrust of engines.

Yeah, you don't really have control, but it will always thrust in the direction it's pointing - it might only be pointing the right way for a split second, but as long as you thrust in that moment in the right direction, you'll get there. One thing I do to avoid having to cart chutes all over the vessel is not grab it, but go just to edge of interaction, click attach, attach it as far away as I can towards where I want and repeat. Takes a bit longer, but there's no loss of control.

Parachutes are the only part that KAS grabs as physical, so it actually moves the center of mass. The reason for this is some people wanted parachutes to be actually usable (now with Vanguard parachutes, I don't really see the point myself). All other parts are turned to nonphysical, and their mass is simply added to the kerbal, so the center of mass remains in the same location; this however renders engines and similar parts unusable.

It also may improve control if you disable automatic rotation to camera in the options, because then it won't try to change orientation as often.

Thank you guys.

I love the infos and are very helpful.

Now i have another problem. I grad be big pack on EVA/Orbiting Kerbin, and was going to my space station to attach it (same vessel, docked, other position). But every time i click on the pack to attach it to the vessel, the wrong menu of info appears (the kerbin eva report).

Don't tell me to try click in other positions and angles of the part, because i already did it.

Is that another bug? It have solution? What is please!

:)

12918987493_bda008ec5c_o.png

Edited by Climberfx

Thank you guys.

I love the infos and are very helpful.

Now i have another problem. I grad be big pack on EVA/Orbiting Kerbin, and was going to my space station to attach it (same vessel, docked, other position). But every time i click on the pack to attach it to the vessel, the wrong menu of info appears (the kerbin eva report).

:)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3665/12918987493_bda008ec5c_o.png

this is a slight bug. usually happens to me too. swap to another craft then swap back and do it again. usually fixes it

Containers are not surface mountable (except in the VAB). They can only be mounted on container mounts. I don't remember the exact name but they're in the same menu as the containers and the look like little rectangles.