Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

There is no point in a x86 release. You can only run like 2 mods with x86 due to the memory management bugs.

x86 is only a problem if you PC has more then 4GB of ram. Otherwise KSP runs with many many mods as it just cant take that much ram :) . At the moment i have 34 mods including KAS , Kethane, KW, KSO and other parts mods.... and no problem at all.

@biohazard15

read couple posts before yours.... KAS NOT working with 64bit and wont happen that fast.

x86 is only a problem if you PC has more then 4GB of ram. Otherwise KSP runs with many many mods as it just cant take that much ram :)

I'm sorry, but you seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

x86 is only a problem if you PC has more then 4GB of ram. Otherwise KSP runs with many many mods as it just cant take that much ram :) . At the moment i have 34 mods including KAS , Kethane, KW, KSO and other parts mods.... and no problem at all.

@biohazard15

read couple posts before yours.... KAS NOT working with 64bit and wont happen that fast.

If in 2014... your computer doesnt have more than 4GB of memory you need to reassess your PC.

I'm sorry, but you seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

No? I have a system with only 4 GB ram and one with 24GB . Guess on which i get crashes if too many mods are loaded? Hint: Not the 4GB one. On the 4GB machine i can run KSP without a single crash the whole day. I never ever had a single crash because of memory problems.

And as i said with the 4GB machine i run 34 mods.

No? I have a system with only 4 GB ram and one with 24GB . Guess on which i get crashes if too many mods are loaded? Hint: Not the 4GB one. On the 4GB machine i can run KSP without a single crash the whole day. I never ever had a single crash because of memory problems.

Uhm. Yea. There is something wrong with your computer with 24GB of RAM, then. That isn't really how it works.

This is pretty natural, if your computer has only 4 gb ram you will get less than 3 for KSP, Windows and other programs takes one.

Worse, if you run 32 bit window, you are not only limited to 4GB but the memory for the graphic card is mapped inside the 4GB, now if you have a 1 gb memory on the graphic card it take 1, windows 1 and you have 2 left. Now have web browser or other stuff open then you play :)

Ringkeeper said:

That's because you're running from pagefile on the 32 bit PC which is slow

Any Idea when this will get update? I get incompatible mod warning for this and some KSPAPI mod and something called Scale? I was wondering if those two were also part of this mod? I updated most of the other mods to their .24 versions so not sure where else those are coming from.

You can get 4gb more of memory for around 45 dollars :P

Just google some tutorials on installing it later.

Only if your computer is already new. Some people would have to build an entirely new PC to upgrade their RAM because new RAM for what they have would be more expensive than that. My brother is in that boat, his computer is rather old, he would need a new motherboard, CPU and RAM to get above 4GB and he can't afford it.

FWIW, the Linux 64-bit 0.23.5 worked perfectly with KAS. So there's no inherent issue with KAS and 64-bits, it's a platform issue.

So it looks more and more like issue with Unity Win x64 player, not the game. Doubting even more we will ever get a fix.

Also, to people who demands x64 compatibility - for christ sake, just make yourself second GameData folder in KSP, slap there ActiveTextureManagment as addition to all other mods and in emergency situation that needs KAS - change the name of folder to GameData and run x86.

I really, Really, REALLY doubt we will see this problem fixed any time soon. If it's some convex mesh collision detection borked under Unity... yeah, good luck, some of these bugs are still in Unity after years.

Only if your computer is already new. Some people would have to build an entirely new PC to upgrade their RAM because new RAM for what they have would be more expensive than that. My brother is in that boat, his computer is rather old, he would need a new motherboard, CPU and RAM to get above 4GB and he can't afford it.

i believe every computer that is able to run KSP can also work with more than 4GB. every cpu since athlon64 and (newer) Pentium4 is 64bit enabled and can handle it, and so can motherboards.

you will have to install a 64bit OS though.

do we have an alternative of transferring fuel from 1 ship to the other? I now need a fix to transfer fuel from my kethane miner to my transport ship.

The good old fashioned way with docking ports would work. If your ship doesn't have docking ports, you can always use a claw attachment.

Though this might not work for pre-existing ships :(

I think the lcars plugin has that function - I think you can just module manager the fuel transfer module, and not install the other, far cheatier module. [that fuel transfer one is still very cheaty, but you could resolve to use it only when KAS would be applicable, I suppose]

https://github.com/philotical/StarTrekImpulseDrive/tree/master/release%20versions

https://github.com/philotical/StarTrekImpulseDrive/wiki/Subsystem:-Fuel-Transfer

TAC I think has refueling while landed at the runway.

In the meantime, until Unity can fix their x64 client on Windows, we'll have to do without KAS for refueling. Using 0.75 m docking ports and IR (once it's updated) will have to be the way to do it for on the ground refueling ops at places such as the island runway.

Speaking of Unity, I took a look at the source code for KAS in order to investigate the x64 bit issues in hopes of finding a workaround (I have to admit, the KAS source code is very well organized and is fairly self-documented). Majiir is absolutely correct in his statements concerning it; it is a Unity bug that is causing the issue. In particular, it is a Unity bug that causes the decoupling to crap out. The Grab function in KAS will eventually call the Part.Decouple() function, which is where the issue is arising. Unfortunately, this is a function we don't have access to, and that function is working without issue on other platforms. This is a bummer, because I was hoping that the newer version of Unity that 0.24 sits on top of would fix that crap. Oh well.

I was sort of wondering if we had fuel line mod that worked! so you can connect 2 separate vessels and transfer fuel! now I dont mind if there is a mod that does this virtually for the time being!

I thought there was a mod called quantum fuel transfer!

I was sort of wondering if we had fuel line mod that worked! so you can connect 2 separate vessels and transfer fuel! now I dont mind if there is a mod that does this virtually for the time being!

I thought there was a mod called quantum fuel transfer!

It's called The Klaw.