Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Suppose I was making a base on another planet/moon and was running KAS along with Interstellar and TAC life support. Would some of the EVA-attached fuel lines or what have you from this mod allow me to link a bunch of separate modules in a manner that allowed both the life support and megajoules to be shared amongst them?

Great, thanks! Looks like KAS will be on my mod list for 0.24.

By the way, is there any prediction on whether the next patch will break this mod and how complicated the potentially necessary fixes will be?

Great, thanks! Looks like KAS will be on my mod list for 0.24.

By the way, is there any prediction on whether the next patch will break this mod and how complicated the potentially necessary fixes will be?

It shoudn't be breaking but we'll have to see when 0.24 comes out

I tried to mod a part to have the ability to be held by kerbals. when I try to place it, I get the message "too far from source." I thought it meant "get closer," so I got closer with no effect. I then checked if the distance was based on the center of the part, so I put it directly under the center of it. is there a something I need to adjust to make this functional? is it just too big for kas to comprehend? I am using version 0.4.7. here is the code I added:

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = True
attachOnStatic = True
}

Unfortunately, I'm not expecting to have KAS ready until a day or two after 0.24 is released. I'll be able to speak about the details once the update hits.

Hello, I've just made a couple of new (well, not new, resized) parts, and I'd like to make them grabbable and attachable. As they are a scaled version of the RCS radial tank, I've copied its section in the addModule.cfg file and modified the part name and storage size. But my kerbals can only grab that parts, and can't attach them. What can I do?

So, dem details :P

Indeed!

During the initial rounds of 0.24 experimentals, we requested a number of features to make modding easier with the new update. Unfortunately, a number of those requests didn't make it in. Among them was the ability for Part and PartModule code to influence the cost of a part, both in the VAB (for purchasing) and in flight (for recovery). This is essential for KAS because the part containers can have a base value, but they can also contain other parts. At the moment, part containers essentially break the game by making some parts free in the VAB and worthless in flight.

There is a possible workaround which I might be implementing in the next few days. It wasn't at all clear what would happen in the last few days of experimental testing, so I didn't want to spend a lot of time implementing something that would become obsolete soon after. So, at this moment, no update work has been done on KAS, and some structural changes (as well as the ordinary part cost balancing) will be necessary.

Much of this could be made easier if Squad would release a 0.24.1 patch with the requested features. If proper part costs are of interest to you in KAS, please lend your support for a minor revision update to KSP.

It highly interests me, because combined with part failures it means that long term space ventures have a certain amount of overhead, which I find engaging. To whom / where do I need to speak up for my support of such a feature?

Indeed!

During the initial rounds of 0.24 experimentals, we requested a number of features to make modding easier with the new update. Unfortunately, a number of those requests didn't make it in. Among them was the ability for Part and PartModule code to influence the cost of a part, both in the VAB (for purchasing) and in flight (for recovery). This is essential for KAS because the part containers can have a base value, but they can also contain other parts. At the moment, part containers essentially break the game by making some parts free in the VAB and worthless in flight.

There is a possible workaround which I might be implementing in the next few days. It wasn't at all clear what would happen in the last few days of experimental testing, so I didn't want to spend a lot of time implementing something that would become obsolete soon after. So, at this moment, no update work has been done on KAS, and some structural changes (as well as the ordinary part cost balancing) will be necessary.

Much of this could be made easier if Squad would release a 0.24.1 patch with the requested features. If proper part costs are of interest to you in KAS, please lend your support for a minor revision update to KSP.

Any chance we can get a hacky/semi-working version until then?

I know the problem with container parts is annoying but it is not extremly game breaking compared to not being able to boot old save games because of missing KAS parts.

Any chance we can get a hacky/semi-working version until then?

I know the problem with container parts is annoying but it is not extremly game breaking compared to not being able to boot old save games because of missing KAS parts.

You can use old build, it pretty much works, except it doesn't in x64 player (Same problems as in 0.23.5 x64 hack, grabbing doesnt work, things explode on decoupling, etc).

You can use old build, it pretty much works, except it doesn't in x64 player (Same problems as in 0.23.5 x64 hack, grabbing doesnt work, things explode on decoupling, etc).

That's exactly the temporary fix I was requesting.

I tested the old KAS build on the x64 version and my vessel started wobbling uncontrolably on the launchpad (including the clamp) due to the container doing weird movements.

That's exactly the temporary fix I was requesting.

I tested the old KAS build on the x64 version and my vessel started wobbling uncontrolably on the launchpad (including the clamp) due to the container doing weird movements.

I highly doubt any modder can solve issues showing up on x64/x86 differences, there is not much platform dependant stuff you can mess up on mod code. And tbh, i don't believe it's related to game itself, it can by Unity related problem for all we know. Either Squad is going to notice the issue and fix it (At some point), or we just have to get used to keep x86/x64 installation, and for few mods making problems - just start x86 to perform things like linking stuff with KAS.

None the less, it's impossible for Majiir to fix problem with decouple() (or other physics calulations done behinde the scene, ftr) itself. Looks like KAS for x64 isn't going to happen in 0.24.

None the less, it's impossible for Majiir to fix problem with decouple() (or other physics calulations done behinde the scene, ftr) itself. Looks like KAS for x64 isn't going to happen in 0.24.

Oorrrrrr, we could have a working x64 KAS, but with parts that are free in the VAB and worthless in flight. That was one of the options and frankly, I don't mind that - there's only so much stuff you can fit in the box anyway.

I highly doubt any modder can solve issues showing up on x64/x86 differences, there is not much platform dependant stuff you can mess up on mod code. And tbh, i don't believe it's related to game itself, it can by Unity related problem for all we know. Either Squad is going to notice the issue and fix it (At some point), or we just have to get used to keep x86/x64 installation, and for few mods making problems - just start x86 to perform things like linking stuff with KAS.

You can touch the 95% of the game's code, you just need patience and luck (and coding skills but Majiir has more than enough of those).

KAS has experienced tenths if not hundreds of problems like these that everyone supposed were not possible to fix without Squad/Unity fixing bugs but Majiir has always found a way to solve those problems.

I'm confident he will be able to find a workaround this time too!

Oorrrrrr, we could have a working x64 KAS, but with parts that are free in the VAB and worthless in flight. That was one of the options and frankly, I don't mind that - there's only so much stuff you can fit in the box anyway.

What is the point if grabbing doesn't work? Every part manipulation involving decoupling in x64 version will effect in best case swinging your kerbal hundreds meters away, worst case - explosion. At this point i wouldn't really mind just x86 compatible 0.24 release. Just slap big, red letters on front page "NOT WORKING WITH 64 BIT" and, well, done for now.

You can touch the 95% of the game's code, you just need patience and luck (and coding skills but Majiir has more than enough of those).

KAS has experienced tenths if not hundreds of problems like these that everyone supposed were not possible to fix without Squad/Unity fixing bugs but Majiir has always found a way to solve those problems.

I'm confident he will be able to find a workaround this time too!

Problem is, solving this kind of issue can take aswell all the time to 0.25. There is no point in holding back 0.24 KAS release if only for x86. I don't doubt in Majiir skills, i just think that if Squad wasn't able to squelch that bug before release, postponing mods release because of it doesn't make sense.

But of course it would be great to get this issue solved, i'm pretty sure ProceduralFairings doesn't work now for same reasons. (not tested, but was the case in 0.23.5 x64)

On x64, I was able to grab container from its place, drop it, get a part from it. When I've tried to attach said part to my ship (Apollo replica), well... who knew that small stock battery was made of C4?

2nd try, I'm doing the same things, only this time all went good... until I've tried to grab attached battery.

That said, looks like the decoupling is totally messed up in x64 version.