Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I just recompiled KAS myself for 0.24, and it -appears- to be working perfectly fine. (Linux, 64-bit). YMMV

(EDIT: NB: I didn't change any source code apart from the version check.)

Can you share that for those of us who dont have a compiler handy? Thanks!

Can you share that for those of us who dont have a compiler handy? Thanks!

No. The license doesn't allow it. You can grab the source yourself and compile it, but you can't release that to anyone.

I just recompiled KAS myself for 0.24, and it -appears- to be working perfectly fine. (Linux, 64-bit). YMMV

(EDIT: NB: I didn't change any source code apart from the version check.)

Did the same thing, just changing the version check to 0.24 in the source code and compiling the .dll myself using Xamarin Studio.

I'm running KSPx64 on Win7x64, and I must say it runs surprisingly well. After an hour of testing I had no crashes (not even spamming of errors in the logs), and these are the only problems I found:

1.) Ejecting hooks from winches just releases the hook, due to the KSP 0.24 x64 inherent missing-decoupler-force-bug (not KAS fault).

2.) Grabbing big/heavy parts (like the ground pylon or full containers) off of other parts can sometimes cause a force to be applied on the part which the grapped part was attached to. Small parts maybe also cause those forces, but they are too small to cause problems (at least in my tests).

And that's it. Except those two glitches everything works, connecting vessels together with pipes/winches for refueling still works perfectly fine, which is good enough for me (at least so far).

Sadly, serbians x64 decoupler fix doesn't work in this case, because his module manager file of course is unable to change how the KASModuleWinch works in the KAS.dll. Maybe I can fix that myself in the source code, I'll try that tomorrow.

Regarding the phantom forces when grabbing parts, no idea how to fix that. I'm counting on Majir for this one! ;)

Edited by BigNose

Just to clarify, is running the currently-downloadable version of the mod still going to function (aside from the caveats BigNose mentions above) and just require you to dismiss the version incompatibility warning, or will KSP choose not to load/activate any KAS functionality because of the bad version tag?

Because circumstances will have me unable to update KAS in a timely manner, I am temporarily allowing the distribution of the KAS plugin modified for 0.24 compatibility purposes. Please do not distribute any models, textures or other art assets, and please do not distribute any part configuration files. If you'd like to balance part costs, please use a ModuleManager patch. This permission applies to the plugin only. (The KAS project has a number of contributors, and it's always a challenge to ensure all creators' rights are respected.) Please link to modifications in this thread and avoid third-party sites like Curse. (Something like Dropbox or Google Drive for hosting is fine.)

This exception shall expire as soon as I release an official update, so please bear that in mind. This is intended to allow volunteers to address compatibility issues for the players, not to otherwise grant distribution rights to the KAS plugin.

Because circumstances will have me unable to update KAS in a timely manner, I am temporarily allowing the distribution of the KAS plugin modified for 0.24 compatibility purposes. Please do not distribute any models, textures or other art assets, and please do not distribute any part configuration files. If you'd like to balance part costs, please use a ModuleManager patch. This permission applies to the plugin only. (The KAS project has a number of contributors, and it's always a challenge to ensure all creators' rights are respected.) Please link to modifications in this thread and avoid third-party sites like Curse. (Something like Dropbox or Google Drive for hosting is fine.)

This exception shall expire as soon as I release an official update, so please bear that in mind. This is intended to allow volunteers to address compatibility issues for the players, not to otherwise grant distribution rights to the KAS plugin.

Thanks Majiir for all your hard work :)

You rock as usual :)

0.24 64Bit Kas.dll (just compiled didnt changed the version checker so it will throw a warning) (DRopBox Link) (Plugin only) License - Source code (should work for 32bit)

0.24.1 64Bit Kas.dll (DRopBox Link) (Plugin only) License - Source code (should work for 32bit)

0.24.2 64Bit Kas.dll (DRopBox Link) (Plugin only) License - Source code (should work for 32bit and 64bit!!)

Edited by whaaw

You're awesome, you know that? :D

Thank you for allowing this, but most importantly thank you for this awesome contribution to the KSP community.

So essentially what this means, is that someone now has the right to "mod the mod" in order to make it work for .24, and upload the fix? Just until an official fix is released?

Am I understanding this correctly?

So essentially what this means, is that someone now has the right to "mod the mod" in order to make it work for .24, and upload the fix? Just until an official fix is released?

My interpretation is that it is actually fine as-is, but simply needed to be rebuilt to be compatible with 0.24... But the license granted no permission to distribute derived (which is what a version-updated copy would be) works. Majiir is simply temporarily granting the public the ability to distribute this derived work so that those who are less tech-savvy can use it, and not just those who know how to compile a visual studio project.

That's correct.

My interpretation is that it is actually fine as-is, but simply needed to be rebuilt to be compatible with 0.24... But the license granted no permission to distribute derived (which is what a version-updated copy would be) works. Majiir is simply temporarily granting the public the ability to distribute this derived work so that those who are less tech-savvy can use it, and not just those who know how to compile a visual studio project.

It's possible that it just needs a recompile, but it might require more extensive changes. The permission granted allows those changes as well.

The recompiled plugin did not fix the grab-explosion problem. I made a test rig with a mk 2 lander can, some landing legs, a structural strut sticking out underneath, some bays, and some part containers. As before, releasing the part container is fine, and it can be stored back into the bay fine. However clicking grab, as before, caused rapid unplanned disassembly.

tested win 7 KSP x64

We can only hope until some time as he returns to take full control of KAS.