Antennae in .22

So I was wondering how the antennas work in the new update. I would play it myself and see but I'm waiting on my new computer to come in and want to be able to get a first View on it. But anyways does anyone know if the antenna will relay off each other, in other words say you have a ship on Dina, and the antenna won't reach kerbin, but you have a ship in orbit around duna and then a ship in a very high orbit around kerbin (past minmus) and the a ship in orbit around kerbin. Will all these ships, give or take a few, work together to "bounce" the signal to ksc. Or do the antennas just have infinite range

Edited by Exal

Limited range is one of those things that feels realistic but really isn't. Voyager is still sending us data from antennae built in the 70s, and it's not even in the Solar System anymore.

Is it confirmed not in the Solar System anymore? I know there was a lot of discussion as to if it had left or not because of magnetic readings they expected but didn't get or some shenanigans like that.

It is possible IRL to have an antenna with interstellar range. That doesn't mean every kind of antenna has such a range, or that you'd want to put it on every kind of craft. There are size, weight, line-of-sight, and redundancy reasons to give a lander a short-range antenna that communicates with earth via relay.

I'm not deep in the tech tree or Kerbol system yet in .22, but so far there does not seem to be any range or line-of-sight limitation to transmissions, which is disappointing.

At the moment, they are unlimited range, and used only for transmitting science data. The bigger the antenna the more MB you can send and so the faster it send them.

You could keep a track on Remotech mod and see if they integrate the satellite links with the science data (It may take a few weeks).

Is it confirmed not in the Solar System anymore? I know there was a lot of discussion as to if it had left or not because of magnetic readings they expected but didn't get or some shenanigans like that.

Voyager 1 is outside the heliosphere, but still in the Oort cloud so technically it is in interstellar space although the main sensors used to confirm that apparently broke down sometime in the 80's so NASA is still not 100%.

Limited range is one of those things that feels realistic but really isn't. Voyager is still sending us data from antennae built in the 70s, and it's not even in the Solar System anymore.

It's not so much range as it is line-of-sight. Voyager has direct line-of-sight back to Earth. The Curiosity rover does not, therefore it must either wait for right time of Martian day so it does have line-of-sight to Earth, or it can relay the data to an orbiting satellite (i.e. Mars Odyssey). So you would expect that and landers, rovers or bases on other planets or moons would have to either wait for line-of-sight to Kerbin or relay through an orbiter. Of course that might be too complex as the game has to strike a balance between realism and fun.

Well I think I came up with an idea to make it where it seems like it relays. What ill do is only pit antennas in my orbiting sats, so that if I want to send info to ksc then I have to go back up to my orbiting station and dock and then send it to ksc. It's not perfect but I think it will make for a fun challenge.

Just want to add that I think its complete bull**** that they would have you research up into the 88-88 only to get a worse piece of equipment. just look at the mass of the com 16 in comparison. For the mass of one 88-88 you could attach 5 com 16's.

then look at the electric use per packet, they increase across the board as you go up the tree.

then look at throughput... oh great instead of transmitting 25 mb in 5 seconds, you can do it in 3.... oh a whole two second improvement... woo hoooo! Not.

Then there is that constant deployment and retraction of the damn things.

dont even get me started on the need to manually click on experiments and transmit data while trying to fly at the same time.

i think .22 is nice and all, but the implementation of the need to right click and transmit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over is ****ING BORING

dont even get me started on the need to manually click on experiments and transmit data while trying to fly at the same time.

i think .22 is nice and all, but the implementation of the need to right click and transmit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over is ****ING BORING

You might like the fact if you right click on the antennae and click transmit, it'll transmit everything sequentially from one click :)

Just want to add that I think its complete bull**** that they would have you research up into the 88-88 only to get a worse piece of equipment. just look at the mass of the com 16 in comparison. For the mass of one 88-88 you could attach 5 com 16's.

then look at the electric use per packet, they increase across the board as you go up the tree.

then look at throughput... oh great instead of transmitting 25 mb in 5 seconds, you can do it in 3.... oh a whole two second improvement... woo hoooo! Not.

Then there is that constant deployment and retraction of the damn things.

I think you're possibly obsessing about getting those last .01 points of science data. Transmit once per area per flight. On a flight to Mun transfer data once around Kerbin, one on the way, once around Mun, and once on the way back. maybe once more before landing. You'll find you get about 75% of the data you'd have gotten with your "over and over" nonsense, and in the time you've saved you can instead go to Minmus, making even more science.

You'll find you get about 75% of the data you'd have gotten with your "over and over" nonsense, and in the time you've saved you can instead go to Minmus, making even more science.

50% if you do it once. the total science from one experiment/area is double of the first experiment done. repeats are lowered by 50% of the science received so the sum of all experiments done will be 200%.

so do it twice and you'll get 75% :P.

50% if you do it once. the total science from one experiment/area is double of the first experiment done. repeats are lowered by 50% of the science received so the sum of all experiments done will be 200%.

so do it twice and you'll get 75% :P.

I didn't know that. I didn't pay much attention because the extra work didn't seem worth it. Thanks for the info.

But my point still stands. Do it once for 50%. Do it twice for another 25%. Is it worth doing it that 3rd time for 12.5? Maybe. But a 4th time for 6.25% seems like work and a 5th for 3.125% is ridiculous. Especially when you could instead get the science for another biome for that "full" 50%.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.