[0.23.5] TreeLoader - Custom Career Tech-tree Loader 1.1.5

r4m0n

SirJodelStein, I don't think it makes sense to start with the Cupola. Chairs would make more sense.

I agree, and chairs come as an addition very early on. But unless you can tell me how to spawn a Chair with a Kerbal from the VAB/SPH, there still needs to be some pod that contains the crew. One of the first ingame tasks in this tree will be how to figure out how to separate the extremely heavy cupola from the actual vessel without decouplers. Also, the cupola is a nice obstacle for any kind of flight/spaceflight mission due to its weight.

In real world, planes come before rockets launch... rockets. (Although rockets exist since the time of Chinese dynasties and that planes existed only about 100 years ago, planes are widely used earlier than rockets.) I wonder if the TreeEditor is out anytime. I'm looking forward. :)

In real world, planes come before rockets launch... rockets. (Although rockets exist since the time of Chinese dynasties and that planes existed only about 100 years ago, planes are widely used earlier than rockets.) I wonder if the TreeEditor is out anytime. I'm looking forward. :)

You are correct planes did come before rockets, but those were prop planes, Jets came shortly after rockets. And jets are the only non-rocket aircraft you can build in stock KSP. I could be wrong on the time-line but jet planes were invented very close to the time when the Germans were testing and using their V2 rockets.

So in my opinion this argument that you should have to fly around Kerbin to get your science is moot, why not use a rocket, it seems to be the Kerbal way after all, science before safety and all that. :) I guess im saying that you should be able to get both techs at around the same time. Also if you want to go the way of human scientific progression, we did not follow a tech tree, when we noticed there was two applications for something we split our resources and followed both "branches" until they were exhausted.

sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but i added mechjeb to the automation node since it already had it as being under that node it just wasnt in my tree cfg file for some reason..so i did this before i purchased the node, then went and purchased it. now it shows mechjeb in the VAB but it says purchase required in R&D or something to that effect. any idea why it says that?

sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but i added mechjeb to the automation node since it already had it as being under that node it just wasnt in my tree cfg file for some reason..so i did this before i purchased the node, then went and purchased it. now it shows mechjeb in the VAB but it says purchase required in R&D or something to that effect. any idea why it says that?

When parts get added to the tree after you unlocked a node, you need to go back into the R&D building and "buy" the part. Just click on it in the list to the right, you will see the new ones aren't flat like the unlocked ones.

When parts get added to the tree after you unlocked a node, you need to go back into the R&D building and "buy" the part. Just click on it in the list to the right, you will see the new ones aren't flat like the unlocked ones.

sounds like a plan..but the icon for the part isnt showing up in the tech tree node even though it unlocked it. BTW, what line of code determines the parts icon showing up in the tree view when looking at a node? maybe i didnt define that as well?

Edited by apoch1999

sounds like a plan..but the icon for the part isnt showing up in the tech tree node even though it unlocked it. BTW, what line of code determines the parts icon showing up in the tree view when looking at a node? maybe i didnt define that as well?

It may be conflicting with other mods. I happen to have the same problem,

it may be due to the presence of the KSP Interstellar mod.

It may be conflicting with other mods. I happen to have the same problem,

it may be due to the presence of the KSP Interstellar mod.

well i have the old version of the interstellar mod but i noticed the parts showing up in VAB today when i reloaded like they were on some node and i didnt know it. have they said on that thread what is causeing that?

They dont show, at all.

Some parts show up in the VAB, even though they arent showing up in the tech tree, while some dont show up at all (VAB *or* Tech tree). This is with numerous tests of new installs and edited parts.cfg, and after-the-event tree.cfg editing (and also testing without doing either, or both for bug tracking consistancy)

In short - editing the part.cfg to be a tech of anything BUT the start node, is not allowing external mods to be placed into the new trees.

I even tried editing the persistance.sfs to no avail.

Can we get a quick and dirty example so we can add some mods/parts into these awesome trees? (eg. KAS or Kethane) because those are kinda key (for me anyway :P)

They dont show, at all.

Some parts show up in the VAB, even though they arent showing up in the tech tree, while some dont show up at all (VAB *or* Tech tree). This is with numerous tests of new installs and edited parts.cfg, and after-the-event tree.cfg editing (and also testing without doing either, or both for bug tracking consistancy)

In short - editing the part.cfg to be a tech of anything BUT the start node, is not allowing external mods to be placed into the new trees.

I even tried editing the persistance.sfs to no avail.

Can we get a quick and dirty example so we can add some mods/parts into these awesome trees? (eg. KAS or Kethane) because those are kinda key (for me anyway :P)

Are you manually adding them, or using TreeEdit?

If you are manually adding them, I believe I've said this in the thread in a previous comment. The stuff that is done with TreeLoader is post any changes done to module manager, or part.cfg edits. Meaning, each time a techtree is loaded, it reapplies the TechRequired to all the items. (When the career is created, not everytime to you go to the Tech Screen.) I don't know how the game handles loading the icons within the tech nodes.

The only way you can add stuff to the tech tree manually is by not using TreeLoader and running with the stock tree. Try it.

Edited by MedievalNerd

Are you manually adding them, or using TreeEdit?

If you are manually adding them, I believe I've said this in the thread in a previous comment. The stuff that is done with TreeLoader is post any changes done to module manager, or part.cfg edits. Meaning, each time a techtree is loaded, it reapplies the TechRequired to all the items. (When the career is created, not everytime to you go to the Tech Screen.) I don't know how the game handles loading the icons within the tech nodes.

The only way you can add stuff to the tech tree manually is by not using TreeLoader and running with the stock tree. Try it.

I must have missed that post sorry Medieval, I can indeed get it working with stock. I was curious on the limitations and/or capabilities of treenode in the current state.

I really like the increased nodes and placement of these custom trees, which is why I asked if it was possible ;)

I must have missed that post sorry Medieval, I can indeed get it working with stock. I was curious on the limitations and/or capabilities of treenode in the current state.

I really like the increased nodes and placement of these custom trees, which is why I asked if it was possible ;)

No worries. Posts pour in quickly at times, and there are so many that it's easy to miss one. :)

If you get your hands on the Tech Tree Edit, you can do whatever you want basically. I'm building a quite extensive one, you can see the thread in my sig.

Cheers,

Edited by MedievalNerd
Shenanigans

Using R4m0ns TreeEdit i attempted to follow Yargnits tree but with the Interstellar Tree added at the very end of it.

It basically features the same type of tree as Yargnits, except with the added Interstellar Tree at the end.

I tried to get parts to match up as best as i could for the two, and now i think its ready to go.

you will have to do return trips to kerbin for the first couple of missions the radio transmitter is not released at the start.

Also the first 3 techs are a bit cheaper.

other than that just read up on Yargnits tree and take a look at the Interstellar tree and you'll get a good sense of what this tree is.

Let me know what you think.

I think it'll have to wait till r4m0n takes a look at it before it'll show up on the tree list.

Edited by Sigma52

I have some criticism with yargnits Tech-tree - I didnt know where to go with this so Im posting it here.

I started of with his tree because of his argument "Planes before Rockets" - I think i will hardly have much reason to build and fly planes once rockets are somewhat mastered, so there it goes.

The thing is though - I found myself research rockets rather quickly again. Getting into them appears much cheaper and to get the science for those nodes I had to rocket around kerbin, harvesting all places I couldve gone by plane. So once I reached the Flight-nodes there wasnt much left for me to discover with plain flight which made the whopping price of 2x 60 science hardly reasonable.

And theres the next thing - I dont see why basically Wings and Wheels/Jetengines are separated in two nodes? Both alone hardly get you anywhere. A jet without wheels cant properly land (Starting/Landing Planes is what most of the fun about planes is) when a Jet with wheels but only tiny wings/ailerons ... well - I couldve used such Jetcars at the very beginning, but not that much later when I reached the flight-nodes.

Theres other things later on - like two ladders taking up a node for 60 science. Why would really want to buy these? The only reason to have them would be Planes on Kerbin - in space or on low-grav planets like minmus and the moon i can easily jetpack in.

Well now - one possibility could be me having made a mistake and still being with the default tech-tree, while I merely think I would play Yargnits tree. If that is the case and you recognised the the default tree by my descriptions - let me know. I dont want to look at the revealed Tree on Page 1 too close. I dont want the fun of discovery being spoiled for me.

I have some criticism with yargnits Tech-tree - I didnt know where to go with this so Im posting it here.

I started of with his tree because of his argument "Planes before Rockets" - I think i will hardly have much reason to build and fly planes once rockets are somewhat mastered, so there it goes.

The thing is though - I found myself research rockets rather quickly again. Getting into them appears much cheaper and to get the science for those nodes I had to rocket around kerbin, harvesting all places I couldve gone by plane. So once I reached the Flight-nodes there wasnt much left for me to discover with plain flight which made the whopping price of 2x 60 science hardly reasonable.

And theres the next thing - I dont see why basically Wings and Wheels/Jetengines are separated in two nodes? Both alone hardly get you anywhere. A jet without wheels cant properly land (Starting/Landing Planes is what most of the fun about planes is) when a Jet with wheels but only tiny wings/ailerons ... well - I couldve used such Jetcars at the very beginning, but not that much later when I reached the flight-nodes.

Theres other things later on - like two ladders taking up a node for 60 science. Why would really want to buy these? The only reason to have them would be Planes on Kerbin - in space or on low-grav planets like minmus and the moon i can easily jetpack in.

Well now - one possibility could be me having made a mistake and still being with the default tech-tree, while I merely think I would play Yargnits tree. If that is the case and you recognised the the default tree by my descriptions - let me know. I dont want to look at the revealed Tree on Page 1 too close. I dont want the fun of discovery being spoiled for me.

I am slowly working on a tree which should sort out those issues as I have the same frustrations. The start node is a rover body, some rover wheels and a thermometer. I want science to be slow enough that it might end up 6 nodes in before you get any sort of rocket parts. I want to set it up so that you have to do science around KSC to get basic plane parts and make a plane and fly around kerbin to get enough science to be able to start building rockets. I want all the plane parts unlocked before any rocket parts. I may even make it so you would have to explore a few of the craters on Mun or go to Duna to get your first antenna

Progression is a bit fast, in the end you are very quickly at rockets again.

Starting with "cars", developing to planes and then rockets like a game of civilization is really hardcore, but I somewhat like the thought on the other hand. But again getting lots of science quickly and building large manned crafts but not being able to send a small rover early seems strange.

Maybe planes should take a different path along the tree and Kerbins biomes give a little bit more science, giving the option to either perfect building planes and gathering science for basic rocketry to advance Kerbins Tech Level to spacefaring or to concentrate on rocketry first and add the plane parts later for space planes and Laythe gliders. Both paths would have to be a bit more expensive in the lower parts to really make it a distinctive decision.

Though the not yet implemented purchase costs for individual parts will give further options to tweak possible progression paths.

I may even make it so you would have to explore a few of the craters on Mun or go to Duna to get your first antenna

Different antennas capable of transmitting different kinds of science reports? (Queer thought.)

I created a tree called Traditional Tech. It's my attempt to move around the stock nodes and adjust the cost so that the tree more closely resembles real life progression while using the default node names and some adjustment of what node certain parts are on.

wx3fTHh.png

Edited by Nazari1382

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.