I am disappointed that there is no science in Sandbox mode

johnnyhandsome

I do not understand your question. Having already learned how to launch a rocket, several rockets and lift multiple tons into orbit, I see no value in proving to the game that I can put a single manned spacecraft into orbit. That's just silly and if you'd like at my calculations, you'd know this to be true.

You have silly calculations? I doubt the validity of silly calculations. I want to inspect your SC certifications, sir.

I do not understand your question. Having already learned how to launch a rocket, several rockets and lift multiple tons into orbit, I see no value in proving to the game that I can put a single manned spacecraft into orbit. That's just silly and if you'd like at my calculations, you'd know this to be true.

I see no value in repeatedly being spawned, running into combat, and dieing a glorious death OVER AND OVER AND OVER but I find I do it pretty often as a battlefield player.

I do, however, see value in the fact career mode has brought me back to basics, forcing me to use parts I really don't use much like the really small tanks, or the really basic engine that drinks fuel like I drink chocolate shakes.

that said, this whole topic is somewhat divergent from the point of the thread which is some user's dissappointment that the science flavor text and science points are disabled in Sandbox mode.

I do, however, see value in the fact career mode has brought me back to basics, forcing me to use parts I really don't use much like the really small tanks, or the really basic engine that drinks fuel like I drink chocolate shakes.

Sure, but that's YOU, yet we were talking about ME. I would not begrudge, deny nor argue away how you like to play this wonderful game. All I ask is that others do the same.

Sure, but that's YOU, yet we were talking about ME. I would not begrudge, deny nor argue away how you like to play this wonderful game. All I ask is that others do the same.

Agreed,

What does that have to do with this thread? If you don't like the new R&D mechanic, stick to sandbox would be my suggestion.

If you don't like the new R&D mechanic, stick to sandbox would be my suggestion.

After trying out the career mode, I am. However, I am disappointed about some aspects of it in this new version and expressed that. This seems to bother some people, I know not why.

After trying out the career mode, I am. However, I am disappointed about some aspects of it in this new version and expressed that. This seems to bother some people, I know not why.

I had a chance to play career for a bit last night. My thoughts is we got what the Devs told us we were going to get. A start to career mode. Tweaking as we go along I expect will happen.

Had anyone here launched a probe pre-v0.22 into orbit around a planet or moon that had science instruments on it? If you did, then you should have no problem with allowing accrual of Science points in sandbox mode...

I am not opposed to the idea, but what use is the points when everything is unlocked?

I am am not interested in a leaderboard or high scores in a sandbox where it can easily be modified via a text editor.

I'd rather this be left to a mod maker to implement so it can used only by the users that desire such things.

I've not tried activating the science thingys in sandbox yet, does nothing at all happen or do you still get the cute lil messages? I think it would be cool to see how many mickey-mouse-fun-bucks science points you could get in sandbox, and the messages are cute and funny,

What would be usefull in both modes would be a science log, that shows all the successful experiments, so you don't need to remember what experiment you have done in which places.

I am not opposed to the idea, but what use is the points when everything is unlocked?

The same reason people made science probes, or put a Gravioli detector on their rover, before .22 was released. To roleplay, to have fun, etc. I'd love to launch repeat science missions to outer planets, just to see if I can get more SCIENCE than I did the last time.

I'm going to put science modules on some of my bases and stations anyway, just for aesthetics. What's a Science Lab without equipment? But I don't see any reason why we can't accumulate points in sandbox mode.

The only thing I don't understand in this thread are the comments like, "Dude! Why do you want Science in sandbox? It doesn't unlock anything, and you can't do anything with the points."

Gathering scientific data is part of the fun of playing the game, even if I have to pretend to be doing it. I've had instruments on my probes and landers all through my year of playing in the sandbox, so why would I want to stop now? And if the new science instruments have more cool new stuff to tell me, all the better. I don't need somebody to dangle a carrot in front of me to get me to do science.

I think the reason behind no flavor text is because, quite frankly, the eggheads at R&D simply aren't there. However, I think it would be the responsibility of the scientists to interpret stuff like that, and also the Kerbonaut would have his input.

I've not tried activating the science thingys in sandbox yet, does nothing at all happen or do you still get the cute lil messages? I think it would be cool to see how many mickey-mouse-fun-bucks science points you could get in sandbox, and the messages are cute and funny,

What would be usefull in both modes would be a science log, that shows all the successful experiments, so you don't need to remember what experiment you have done in which places.

The science reports are there but the fluff text is replaced with essentially "The Science Center is shut down so we don't know what any of this means." Also, the science gain is automatically 0.

I am not disagreeing about THAT bit, and I agree its odd that they took away the fluff messages as I find them fun in Career mode.

When I fly my science equipment in sandbox mode all the way to Jool to perform experiments I expect at least to get a short text message about the results, not just the feedback that I'm only playing sandbox mode. I mean, come on.... It's the first time something is added that you can actually do after landing on a planet , apart from putting up a flag and than you can't use it in sandbox?

Why are people forced to play through career mode to get experiment results? It makes no sense......

like everyone else said, i want the flavor text. (although a total of how much science you gathered at the end of the mission would be fun) (with the diminishing returns being reset after the flight ends,or just give the data value)

is it so bad to want to continue playing the way im comfortable with, with the mods i like, the parts i like and still get the awesome flavor text for the science modules.

im going to send them everywhere i can anyway. why greatly reduce the parts available and then make me grind for even those!!!

pretty sure the consensus here is WE WANT FLAVOR TEXT IN SANDBOX!!!

As far as .22 goes.

Whats the difference between a fully unlocked tech tree in career mode and sandbox mode?

Accumilative science and unique messages?

Why not just just have fun unlocking the full tech tree then in the end wouldn't you have essentially what this thread is asking for?

I agree that there seems to be no point to having the flavor text disabled in sandbox mode, I found it pretty disappointing when I found out that was how it turned out in this update.

Maybe it's just my view of the game and how I play, but I don't really have much interest in career mode. I like to play my space program as if it's a couple decades from now, where we have habitable space stations, colonies on other planets and other things. For example, I just got done building a 3 piece space barge. It's got four slots for cargo, room for about 16 Kerbals, and enough delta V to make routine round trips to Duna and Eve.

I don't really see why we have to play a barely implemented career mode, that I've seen a lot of people call a 'glorified tutorial', to get flavor text that makes no impact on the difficulty or challenge of the game. I understand not having points in sandbox, because a sandbox mode just means you have infinite resources, but leaving out flavor text doesn't make much sense to me.

pretty sure the consensus here is WE WANT FLAVOR TEXT IN SANDBOX!!!

Pretty sure that is not the consensus here. Even if a poll was run (which hasn't happened) it is biased towards forum members as opposed to everyone who plays. We'll never know what the true majority wants.

Having said that I don't see a majority of people in this thread posting in favor of Science! in Sandbox.

does anyone know if there's a way to edit cfg files or something to just enable flavor text in sandbox?

i have looked through the settings etc but i haven't found as such :(

Although not directly adding flavor text in sandbox, you can go to your persistent.sfs file for a career mode save, change the line "sci = 0" under SCENARIO (with the line "name = ResearchAndDevelopment" below it) to "sci = 20000" or some other crazy number, then unlock all the parts in the tech tree manually in-game. That's what I did to check out the entire tree. That being said, I'm actually slowing down my science progression via cfgs, because I just love career mode so much :).

No, this has been rigorously tested in double blind studies. Repeatedly doing the same thing over and over is not fun, unless it involves eating pizza or alone with a significant other. Possibly re-watching The Walking Dead. But not starting from scratch in KSP, though admittedly it is somewhat of a significant other

So do you just build one rocket and use it over and over again? What you're saying is that building new rockets is boring but I would think reusing the same one all the time is even more boring. This game is about building rockets. If you don't like that then this is the wrong game for you.

The same reason people made science probes, or put a Gravioli detector on their rover, before .22 was released. To roleplay, to have fun, etc. I'd love to launch repeat science missions to outer planets, just to see if I can get more SCIENCE than I did the last time.

I'm going to put science modules on some of my bases and stations anyway, just for aesthetics. What's a Science Lab without equipment? But I don't see any reason why we can't accumulate points in sandbox mode.

What's the point of career if it's the same as sandbox but with tech tree restrictions? They are meant to be two separate things with two different sets of features and gameplay. If we start mixing the two then we just have one game mode again. It's like adding flags to team slayer in halo but not calling it CTF. They are different game modes so they should have separate mechanics otherwise you have team slayer with flags which equals another existing game mode; CTF.

What people are suggesting is career mode without the tech tree, but it's the tech tree that defines career mode to begin with, otherwise we just have plain old sandbox again.