[1.2] L-Tech Scientific Industries V4.2

ludsoe

How do you slow down the 'toggle' view of the camera?

I wanted to take pictures...

It takes the picture for you, look in the modfolder/plugins/plugindata/ltscience you should find your pictures there.

Edit: (Avoiding double post.)

Update!

V1.4

-Cleaned up the code a bit.

-Fixed action groups, (Tell me how it works for you.)

-Added a resolution variable to the .cfg lines controlling the camera. (This lets you change screenshot size)

-Implemented Dungchunker's Fixed radio model rotation. -This may cause complications

-Changed the way screenshot saving is done, You no longer need a .cfg inside the screenshot folder.

This may or may not fix some issues with people. Ill return with a super high resolution of my science station i built using skylabs.

Edited by ludsoe

As I promised, I cleaned up my science station a little and set the resolution variable in the camera to 10. And took a shot of it.

The shot I got.... Became my new desktop background. Id love to see what you guys can do with it.

Screenshot6330231shrunk_zpsc9f839d2.png

Bear in mind that I re-sized the photo to 5% of its original size.

I also grabbed a shot of Kerbin to test out the camera before moving onto the station shot.

Screenshot5375129shrunk_zpse780465b.png

Both images are in their full resolution unedited in a downloadable .zip. (For those who want to inspect the photo's without taking high res ones themselves.)

Link to the .zip containing the photos. -This zip contains only the full sized version of the above pictures, Download at your own will.

http://www./download/871ua0atjssqx5h/WallPaperSized_Images.zip

Also Id like to know what features I should include with the cameras, before I move off the basics of the cameras. (Perhaps something along the lines of the docking camera from laser mod? That lets you preview the output also including buttons to change settings on the camera.)

Hi Ludsoe, I'm thrilled with this mod's development! I'm a big fan of the camera in particular, and have used the hullcam mod in the past to great effect.

If you're interested in making the cameras really feature packed you could:

-Vary science and report message based on what is in view of the camera

-Allow switching to and staying in camera view

-Include a Picture-in-Picture window showing what is being seen through the camera while it's open

-Apply various optional filters to the images (black & white, scanlines, blur, white noise, etc.)

-Make a shutter sound when a picture is taken

-Move pictures from the mod folder to KSP's screenshot folder when the science for the camera is transmitted or returned to Kerbin

-Telescope option for zooming in

Some of these I know you already have in mind, and some may not be possible at all given the KSP engine and personal time and commitment restraints, so feel free to throw all of them out the window if need be. Good work all around!

Think you should make a camera that can zoom. Or have a long range type camera for you can take pictures from far away. Or maybe have some sort of zoom control in the cameras. ;)

Or make another science part that acts as a telescope. And takes pictures.

Edited by malkuth

Ludsoe, not sure if anyone has suggested a balance for the science lab yet, but I was thinking that requiring materials to study might help reduce the OP-ness of the module. I was thinking kinda-sorta like in real life where we actually either bring samples with us to space for testing or acquire them while we are there. You could create a new resource (samples, or whatev) and then make the lab empty on launch, and create a small-ish part to contain said samples, or maybe even build multiple kinds of samples, if you're feeling extra ambitious. Just a thought. Great mod so far, however, and I'm looking forward to seeing more options for science from Squad in the future updates.

@ludsoe

I'd like you to take a look at my idea for cameras+science. I'm aware of the biome problem and I present a solution that makes programming sense (not sure if it's possible because I don't know what tools are available to KSP modders).

I have a possible solution for the Camera-Science biome problem (Maybe...)

Edited by AlmightyR

@ludsoe

I'd like you to take a look at my idea for cameras+science. I'm aware of the biome problem and I present a solution that makes programming sense (not sure if it's possible because I don't know what tools are available to KSP modders).

I have a possible solution for the Camera-Science biome problem (Maybe...)

I'm intending to go this route with the cameras, But as it stands I want to have a solid set of base features for the cameras. (As they function nicely as cameras) Before i get into the messiness of making them generate science from the real photos.

when im flying with a plane with the camera on it it loses its function to take a pic for sceince

This is due to me messing up a setting in the science definition file. Ill fix it next update, I'm currently awaiting a reply from Romfarer I messaged him to get some tips about opening windows with camera feed in them.

I am not sure if this is a bug or just errors in the text, but I am definitely not getting as much science from the orbital science lab as I should be.

Starting at 73 science, I go to my lab in orbit and run the "Study Model Rockets" experiment, which at this point is worth 196.4, and the transmission value is 200%. That would make the amount of science gained 392.8. The experiment itself is supposed to contain 200 Mits of data but transfers 400, and I received 20 science to total 93 (rounding).

Given this I think that the string text for the experiments is extremely wrong, or there is some facet that I am not understanding. It seems like it is sending 200% of the total data, which would make sense I guess, but the actual value is only like 5% of what is reported.

Update!

V1.5

Tired of sitting on this one.

-Added some flags (This was a suggestion, Don't know why this needs flags.)

-Added support for Hullcam VDS if installed.

*Please report if this support change breaks something if you don't have Hullcam installed.

*This support isn't complete, as in I just added the module Hullcam adds to the part. A better solution can be found later.

*As a small warning taking pictures while using Hullcam for a liveview may cause problems.

-Added a radiation sensor package that was suggested to me. I may change it in the future, but hey its a new science device.

-Cleaned up the first post a little.

-Changed the science code so you can take pictures for science anywhere with the camera.(This is for the fake picture part.)

Now on to replies n stuff.

I am not sure if this is a bug or just errors in the text, but I am definitely not getting as much science from the orbital science lab as I should be.

Starting at 73 science, I go to my lab in orbit and run the "Study Model Rockets" experiment, which at this point is worth 196.4, and the transmission value is 200%. That would make the amount of science gained 392.8. The experiment itself is supposed to contain 200 Mits of data but transfers 400, and I received 20 science to total 93 (rounding).

Given this I think that the string text for the experiments is extremely wrong, or there is some facet that I am not understanding. It seems like it is sending 200% of the total data, which would make sense I guess, but the actual value is only like 5% of what is reported.

Study model rockets only gives 10 science a run, it is indeed working as planned. The lab is only for use when you don't want to send suicide kerbals out to other planets. And still in work.

Ludsoe, not sure if anyone has suggested a balance for the science lab yet, but I was thinking that requiring materials to study might help reduce the OP-ness of the module. I was thinking kinda-sorta like in real life where we actually either bring samples with us to space for testing or acquire them while we are there. You could create a new resource (samples, or whatev) and then make the lab empty on launch, and create a small-ish part to contain said samples, or maybe even build multiple kinds of samples, if you're feeling extra ambitious. Just a thought. Great mod so far, however, and I'm looking forward to seeing more options for science from Squad in the future updates.

Well thats the plan, but as I'm currently busy working on the camera section of the mod the skylab is just resting on its self while in orbit.

That may be due to the fact the lab doesn't work the same way other science stuffs do. On regular science stuff, once you experiment once, you lose a great amount of science value on the next experiment. On this one, you only lose a tiny fraction of the science value.

Idk much about programing, but you can increase the xmitdatascalar values of the skylab.cfg to something higher to get more science at once (this will decrease the science gained each time faster though).

First of all, I love this mod! More opportunities to do SCIENCE!

However, I have a question/bug report: With the camera (I don't know if it applies to the others yet, I haven't unlocked them in my current save), I don't get as much data as it says I should. For example, while flying in space near minmus, it says the picture is worth 120 science, with a transmission value of 80%. However, when I transmit it, I get only 64 science, a transmission value of 53.3%. Is the transmission value supposed to be this low, or is the experiment only supposed to be worth 80 science in the first place? (80 * 80% = 64).

Thanks!

Nice update, can't wait to try the radiation sensor package. But I've a tip for the download... you went from a download size of ~12mb to ~129mb... lots of screenshot included with very very high resolutions.

You might want to trim that down, I deleted them cuz it consumes useless space. :wink:

Has anyone else had this mod cause savegame issues? In my savegame I'm unable to load any craft in the VAB. SPH loading works. Copying my savegame across to a new KSP install does not fix the issue - however I started a new career save after deleting L-Tech and haven't had any issues yet. I don't have any evidence is was this mod specifically, but I've not experienced this issue previously and the mods I use have remained consistent for quite a while.

Has anyone else had this mod cause savegame issues? In my savegame I'm unable to load any craft in the VAB. SPH loading works. Copying my savegame across to a new KSP install does not fix the issue - however I started a new career save after deleting L-Tech and haven't had any issues yet. I don't have any evidence is was this mod specifically, but I've not experienced this issue previously and the mods I use have remained consistent for quite a while.

thats happened to me to however it was before i added this mod I think it has something to do with adding and removing mods

I've had the problem with L-tech causing savefile corruptions, I have confirmed before that L-tech causes the issue, I'm just waiting for a fix... I think that would be top priority since I can't play the mod until it is fixed...

Nice update, can't wait to try the radiation sensor package. But I've a tip for the download... you went from a download size of ~12mb to ~129mb... lots of screenshot included with very very high resolutions.

You might want to trim that down, I deleted them cuz it consumes useless space. :wink:

It seems i forgot to delete my screenshots before uploading.... My bad Ill reupload the mod with them removed.

thats happened to me to however it was before i added this mod I think it has something to do with adding and removing mods

My save file 'corruption' occured without me removing mods. I added this mod, then issues occured. I've removed plugins/part mods mid-savefile in .21 and .20 with no VAB issues before.

Question to those of you experiencing save corruption. Did you have a preexisting copy installed and just overwrote it, or did you install without a previous copy?

Clean Install. Deleted previous version before installing new one. Having lots of issues with this last version. "Also cleaned up all the screenshots before installing".

Clean Install. Deleted previous version before installing new one. Having lots of issues with this last version. "Also cleaned up all the screenshots before installing".

Mind shedding some light on the issues?

As for those with problems involving loading ships n stuff while in VAB please refer to: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/26031-Win-KSP-Mod-Admin-v1-3-9-Mod-install-with-2-klicks

The craft section allows you to check your saves for bad .craft files.