People, people, calm down

stargazer1235

I have been surfing the forums for the last couple of days and seen a lot happen. There is an overly large amount anger and much of it is being vented at the Devs. There are various reasons from the 'Hardcore' gamer not being supported by squad anymore to the lack of content and the arrangement of tech tree and things like development cycles and stuff. I just want everyone to calm down and take a deep breath. There are some valid concerns but venting the anger the hand that feeds you' isn't going to get you guys anywhere. I am not going to propose any solutions to these problems as they are my opinions and my opinion isn't shared by everyone but be nice to the mods and developers.

I will leave you with a Indian Proverb: "If things aren' perfect or you are not happy, the journey you are on is not over and it is only over when things get better"

Naaaaw, it is not as bad as it looks stargazer. This rant is happening after every update release and I guess the Devs are used to it. Anyhow, the Mods are doing a very good job to talk some sense in the upset gamers that overhyped themselfes and imagined the then released version as a Final game that cannot be tweaked.

The community here is by far the best I have ever been in; right from the Devs to the one guy struggling with the Demo. :)

BTW.

Like after the Release of 0.21, the Devs are probably working on a Hotfix for the Issues that occure and hassle the gamers in 0.22. So stay tuned and dont lose hope :)

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

Agreed. We need to chill a bit :) This is just first incarnation of science in KSP. I'm pretty sure every update from now on will add new elements to it. Resources alone should add a ton of new scientific activities. Orbital mapping for deposits, true sampling, analysis, maybe even basic ISRU options (yeah, i'm daydreaming now - i know). No city is build overnight - as a proverb in my country says.

Agreed. We need to chill a bit :) This is just first incarnation of science in KSP. I'm pretty sure every update from now on will add new elements to it. Resources alone should add a ton of new scientific activities. Orbital mapping for deposits, true sampling, analysis, maybe even basic ISRU options (yeah, i'm daydreaming now - i know). No city is build overnight - as a proverb in my country says.

Over hear it's 'rome wasn't build in 1 day' :P

We'll eventually get vanilla recourse mining. I can't wait for the day. Satalite flying over, detecting a potential digsite. Send a kerbal down, take a sample. Send kerbal back. Analize sample...

I have no complaints about .22. People always freak out over updates and changes. I think they forget that the game is still being developed. And as it is now i think its still one of the greatest games i've ever played. And the developers seem to care and try their best to deliver a great product. So if there are issues and bugs i dont let it bother me. Keep up the good work guys, this game is awesome.

This is the only game I've ever played while it's still under heavy construction. I think it's cool that we get regular messages from the Devs and that they even care to answer us instead of giving us the silent treatment like so many other developers. KSP is still far away from V1.0 and you can turn the game into something YOU want by using the extremely friendly mod structure. If that's not good enough for you, go buy a AAA title and try to contact costumers service... have a nice year, waiting to get your answer (that always is the one answer that is so obvious, you already knew it yourself).

On the other hand, it would be nice to have the occasional Squad dev descend from the heavens more frequently to assure us that everything is alright.

Still, anyone will do. Internet hug?:blush: (Its so cold and rainy here ;.; )

It's such a fine line for them to walk. If they tell us nothing, people get angry. If they tell us too much and then things change before release, people get angry. If they choose option A, people get angry. If they choose option B, people get angry. Honestly I don't know if I'd want their job, and yet they stick to it are making an awesome game.

Kudos Squad.

This happens with every update. There's always a wave of hate because it didn't resolve every possible problem. Soon enough the impatient players move on to the latest mindless shoot-'em-up which the big companies have copy-pasted from their previous big releases, and the rest of us go back to enjoying KSP.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have the occasional Squad dev descend from the heavens more frequently to assure us that everything is alright.

How you know everything is alright is that we keep getting terrific expansions to the game. That's the only message I want from the developers. I'd prefer they spent their time working on the game rather than telling me they're working on the game.

I'm pretty sure the "hardcore gamer" only technically exists within MMO type communities. Being a "hardcore gamer" in a singleplayer game is like being the winner in a one-legged arse kicking contest, solely from being the only participant.

I'm pretty sure the "hardcore gamer" only technically exists within MMO type communities. Being a "hardcore gamer" in a singleplayer game is like being the winner in a one-legged arse kicking contest, solely from being the only participant.

MMO or Singleplayer, there naturally exists a gradient of "Casual" to "Hardcore". If this weren't true, there would have been no hardcore gamers (by your definition) a decade ago when online games weren't around. I would have considered myself a hardcore N64 player.

I've actually haven't seen any much complaint threads about 0.22 so I'm not sure exactly who (or which group of people) the OP is referring to. :S

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Guest Brody_Peffley

oh my, everyone was mad at the tech tree when harvester showed us a picture...

MMO or Singleplayer, there naturally exists a gradient of "Casual" to "Hardcore". If this weren't true, there would have been no hardcore gamers (by your definition) a decade ago when online games weren't around. I would have considered myself a hardcore N64 player.

I can call myself a quarterback because I saw football on TV once, but that doesn't make it so. There's a line between "Likes to play on the hard settings" and "hardcore player". The only exception I can think of where Hardcore exists in single player is the new-ish phenomenon of "you fail, I delete your save". But even that I would call "hard difficulty".

Damn golden eye !! and diddy kong racing !!

oh my, everyone was mad at the tech tree when harvester showed us a picture...

That's why I still haven't bothered to try the stock one and went straight to modded. The stock tech tree is designed as an introductory tool; it's not there to provide meaningful gameplay and this, I think, is the major point of contention with it.

My biggest problem with people around here is everyone saying the tech tree is somehow going to get more difficult or meaningful when money is introduced and that is clearly not going to happen so long as it is viewed as an introductory feature. If the devs drop that notion and instead focus on meaningful gameplay, something everyone wants, then this storm will subside. If they continue on making crippled features that offer nothing to the experienced/older players then I think this storm will get much louder. Personally, I'm counting on mods to provide meaning to my gameplay because the devs have yet to deliver (E: or rather, they delivered a crippled feature that had to be modded into relevance).

There have actually been quite a few threads from people who seemed very upset that the tech tree did not exactly fit their expectations (not hard enough, not aligned with what is perceived as reality, etc) and apparently "broke" the game. Which seems silly since sandbox mode is still available.

We get this kind of stuff after every major release, all the minor ones too actually.

People are emotionally invested in KSP, and I can understand that as I am as well, we all want it to be the best it can possibly be but we all have slightly different ideas of how KSP can be better.

The one constant is KSP gets better with every release, sure there will be some people grumbling about something, it's true you cannot please everyone all the time, but in time even they will be happy with KSP as it progresses.

Career is a work in progress, thee will be changes, tweaks, things added and maybe things removed, and KSP will just get better with every change.

That's why I still haven't bothered to try the stock one and went straight to modded. The stock tech tree is designed as an introductory tool; it's not there to provide meaningful gameplay and this, I think, is the major point of contention with it.

My biggest problem with people around here is everyone saying the tech tree is somehow going to get more difficult or meaningful when money is introduced and that is clearly not going to happen so long as it is viewed as an introductory feature. If the devs drop that notion and instead focus on meaningful gameplay, something everyone wants, then this storm will subside. If they continue on making crippled features that offer nothing to the experienced/older players then I think this storm will get much louder. Personally, I'm counting on mods to provide meaning to my gameplay because the devs have yet to deliver (E: or rather, they delivered a crippled feature that had to be modded into relevance).

"Crippled feature" is not a correct way to describe the currently implemented tech tree. If the tech tree had some sort of node that was impossible to unlock or some other bug that blocked you from progressing, that would be a "crippled feature." Instead, you simply don't like the idea of the tech tree as it stands. Let's be precise with our words.

"Crippled feature" is not a correct way to describe the currently implemented tech tree. If the tech tree had some sort of node that was impossible to unlock or some other bug that blocked you from progressing, that would be a "crippled feature." Instead, you simply don't like the idea of the tech tree as it stands. Let's be precise with our words.

In terms of providing meaningful gameplay, or as groundwork towards that, it most certainly is crippled, and considering that was the context of my post I see no issues of precision regarding that word.

I'm not particularly angry about this or suffering from rustled jimmies as OP suggests; the devs were kind enough to provide us with tools to mod the game as we desire. But in my opinion the tech tree and science will need more than the addition of other features to provide meaningful gameplay. These new features will need to be thought of as gameplay features, not as introductory features. So long as they remain introductory features long-term gameplay features will have a rough time integrating with them and long-term players will be not be satisfied with them.

If money is what is needed for career mode to be relevant, no problem. But money isn't going to suddenly make an introductory feature more challenging because it will always have to be balanced against its introductory nature. This is why the tech tree will never be relevant to long-term players; it will remain a speed-bump and nothing more.