Realism Overhaul

NathanKell

First of all, I'm making a second KSP install to try this out at :).

Secondly, since you all are the people on this forum who would actually know/care: Would part of this realism overhaul include more realistic gravity (i.e. nonspherical planetoids, regression of nodes, n-body trajectories, chaotic regions)? I'm in an orbital mechanics class right now (and taking a grad level class in the subject next semester), so I could probably come up with a workable solution for some of these problems if there would be a place for them here.

Ladies and gentlemen, please meet Atlas-V 242 (first "2" stands for fairing size, it's 2.5 meters, next "4" - number of SRBs, last "2" - dual Centaur"):

Shortly after liftoff:

fhKiUPg.png

Pitch over maneuver:

u6cZUni.png

Just before first stage sep:

uq64c5E.png

Second stage ignition, fairing separation:

oM2KmEM.png

Circularization phase, trying to maintain level flight:

dojV0k7.png

Second stage separation, payload engine ignition:

VNYRHBA.png

In orbit!!! Hurrah!!!

DfnhpHV.png

The whole profile looks more like that of Zenit-2 SL (its' second stage is suborbital, like mine is). But Zenit doesn't have SRBs. Now I've actually hit an issue with Stretchy Tanks - when it's stretched like on this vehicle, it bends like crazy and sometimes even brakes :(

I gotta say - OMG OMG OMG - I haven't had so much fun in KSP for a long time!

Me too! Me too! I actually played the game, which I haven't for weeks!

Meet the redesigned Granite-Attica (currently using a Kritish Decurion main engine because the LR37 is too weak, need to tune it).

All this to get a 190kg satellite into 300x300 orbit. (Octo2, 2 stack mini batteries, 2 antennae, 2 solar panels, about 4 units of RCS, and 4 AIES mini RCS pods).

gZ8jFuPl.png

VrevweXl.png

Also, let's all recall the Cape is at 28.5d North. That's another, what, 63m/s we need to account for.

EDIT: Ah, right, I really need to push the new v4 alpha of Modular Fuels. It'll make this playable. All you suckers are still playing with KSP mass ratios. :P

Edited by NathanKell
de-duplicate

Ah, right, I really need to push the new v4 alpha of Modular Fuels. It'll make this playable. All you suckers are still playing with KSP mass ratios. :P

I've still managed to put whole 3.37 tons into orbit. Payload even had enough residual dV to get to ISS altitude (420 km), circularize there, AND deorbit itself (I also had around 300 m/s of dV stashed in RCS "just in case", but it proved to be not neccessary). Speaking of which, parachute don't seem to be working, so no landings yet :(

Chute actually deploys but then quickly gets busted with expected outcome - death of the crew :(

And we really need to move Mun further away - it now looks really tiny and way too close.

I actually think a slightly more critical thing might be a plugin that locks all the part joints or makes all of them stronger; I've had a lot of rockets explode on the pad due to physics starting up. Even if the final version doesn't include something like that it might be useful just for testing purposes.

Also, I too have suffered the "parachutes visually deploy but don't do anything bug." It killed Jebediah. This thing is totally awesome. :)

ferram, I hit that, and uninstalled RemoteTech, and oddly enough that fixed it. I think when RT was locking control state (because it thought I was under Kerbin's new surface, heh), that did something to physics. But I agree about needing stronger joints.

Any idea how? breakingForce doesn't really do it, IIRC.

I don't have RemoteTech installed, so I don't know what it could be.

BreakingForce and BreakingTorque do seem to have some effects if they are set high enough. I wish there were a way to set the springiness of the joints independently of the joint strength, since that is really what we need.

I don't know how to change it, but ferram is right that the physics do silly stuff with realistic rockets. I tried to put realistic stats on the KerbX Falcon 9 and FASA Titan GLV a few versions ago by hacking part .cfg's, and if I didn't strut every single joint on the structure, something would explode on physics load or early in the flight. As for how a plugin would approach it, I don't know. Are the physics properties accessible to plugins?

Heh.

OK, MFSC v3 Alpha is up.

Right now it uses my own hand-rolled engine thrust/mass/type configs, so some engines have changed thrust, roles (or even sizes). It's to fill holes. And balance well.

Make sure once you download, and extract real fuels, you then turn on useRealisticMasses (set it to true) in RealSettings.cfg in the RealFuels folder.

Note that stage dry mass is probably a bit _under_ where it should be; we paused the masses discussion at the beginning of this thread...

Right now I'm using 10 kg per m^3 of tank-structure for the base mass of the tank, and up to 13 for LOX tanks. Engines vary from a TWR of 11 (!) for a tech level 0 OMS, all the way to 98 for a TL7 lower stage booster. Note that as tech level increases, thrust goes up as a function of Isp, and mass goes down as a function of desired TWR, all to match the specified TWRs in RealSettings.cfg

Even the casing mass for SRBs goes down over time.

Coming soon, TL-ized tank materials.

Wow guys you are awesome for doing this. I have always wanted this and playing it is Amazing. Getting to orbit is extremely difficult now. I think the main problem now aside from getting kerbal space port back where it should be is the textures. The textures are now very blurry and stretched. Is this something that can be fixed? will new bigger size kerbin textures need to be made?

I don't know how to change it, but ferram is right that the physics do silly stuff with realistic rockets. I tried to put realistic stats on the KerbX Falcon 9 and FASA Titan GLV a few versions ago by hacking part .cfg's, and if I didn't strut every single joint on the structure, something would explode on physics load or early in the flight. As for how a plugin would approach it, I don't know. Are the physics properties accessible to plugins?

I don't know why I didn't think of this before but when it gets REALLY bad?

Strut your rocket to the gantries too. (aka launch clamp / stability enhancer)

ferram, I hit that, and uninstalled RemoteTech, and oddly enough that fixed it. I think when RT was locking control state (because it thought I was under Kerbin's new surface, heh), that did something to physics. But I agree about needing stronger joints.

Any idea how? breakingForce doesn't really do it, IIRC.

I doubt that. It was likely coincidence. Restarting the game is what did it and it will happen again because it's intermittent.

Edited by Starwaster