Wait, if the old science instruments are now useful...

I don't quite understand why transmitting a temperature loses you science. surely being just data, the numbers could be brought back intact, so to speak.

I was around Moho with the thermometer facing kerbol, it was reading -199.1. Seems a little chilly for being that close.

Really? when i sent out a temperature probe it got to a positively balmy 14 degrees.

The thermometer is not fully working yet. You can't take readings (as science points) if you are very far from a world, and the temperatures are arbitrary and don't reflect the actual environment. Unless, that is, it really is just under 15 centigrade this close to the sun: gIoBI15.png

Why does everyone assume that the temperatures are recorded in a system we are familiar with? There are no units. The only units we can reasonably understand are length (meter based) and data transmission size (Mits - a fictional unit?). For all we know it is 14 degrees Kerbisus close to the sun.

Why does everyone assume that the temperatures are recorded in a system we are familiar with? There are no units. The only units we can reasonably understand are length (meter based) and data transmission size (Mits - a fictional unit?). For all we know it is 14 degrees Kerbisus close to the sun.

14 degrees close to the sun, 0 on Eelo, 0 on minmus and - 141 on Moho? I reasonably understand temperature and I don't think it works like this no matter the unit used.

14 degrees close to the sun, 0 on Eelo, 0 on minmus and - 141 on Moho? I reasonably understand temperature and I don't think it works like this no matter the unit used.

You understand human descriptions of temperature. ;)

You are correct. My main quibble is with everyone assuming the units are in Celsius or some other established measurement system.

Guest Brody_Peffley
You understand human descriptions of temperature. ;)

You are correct. My main quibble is with everyone assuming the units are in Celsius or some other established measurement system.

You sure there not talking kelvin?

The thermometer is not fully working yet. You can't take readings (as science points) if you are very far from a world, and the temperatures are arbitrary and don't reflect the actual environment. Unless, that is, it really is just under 15 centigrade this close to the sun: gIoBI15.png

Awesome Image!

If it makes you feel better, open the goo container during flaming reentry and it will tell you it's cold :)

I *HATE* that!

and we use meters, seconds, and liters. I can't see the thermometer measuring anything other than Celsius or Kelvin. But like people have said, no matter what scale you use, the number on Kerbin should be between the numbers on Eeloo's dark side and Moho's sunny side.

Why does everyone assume that the temperatures are recorded in a system we are familiar with?

Because KSC at the equator runs at centigrade's room temperature. Either it *is* centigrade, or an improbable coincidence. Besides, Kerbals also use meters, liters, and (presumably metric) tons.

Then again, they write in English but speak in backwards Spanish.

Vanamonde is entirely correct. I ran into the temperature problem about a year ago trying to make engines with actual copter physics. If you really dig into the physics, you can see from various universal constants the units things have to be in.

The real problem was that KSP has/had no actual system for temperature. The game just assumed it is/was 59/60 F at the pad, on Minimus, Jool, and the center of Kerbol. It also has no concept of molar mass, so every atmosphere is just plain old Earth air.

With biomes, that may have changed, or they may have just added a random number generator to the temperature sensor output for the science system, haven't played/poked around in it yet.

If it makes you feel better, open the goo container during flaming reentry and it will tell you it's cold :)

that baffled me too, but thinking about it, it's probably ok.

the goo is up in space, in a protective case, so it gets quite cold (though slowly). then you reenter, and get the pretty flames, but the atmosphere is pretty thin and the protective case would shield the goo from most of the heat. so the outside would be hot, but the goo inside is still cold.

if you look at the xkcd what if for dropping a steak from orbit (http://what-if.xkcd.com/28/), he says the outside would get charred, but the inside would still be rare. i think it's the same thing here.

so it think the goo being cold might be accurate.

(or possibly the goo just likes it r e a l l y hot)

I was a little surprised to learn the temperature sensor stops working far from a world. If nothing else, that makes deep-space studies worthless for the moment (maybe they'll change that in future updates? Pretty please? :) ). Any concept on how close we need to get a probe to a world for the sensor to be "useful"? Kerbin at least seems to have the "high orbit" limit (~240-250 km). What about elsewhere?

Edited by AndrewBCrisp

how close we need to get a probe to a world for the sensor to be "useful"?

The seismic meter only measures the ship's acceleration in space, but generates science points once landed, and the thermometer must be in "space near X" (low orbit) to generate science. The gravity meter, goo, and science bays generate points anywhere, though of course the amount varies. But the really limited one is the barometer, which still insists it is in space and will not generate science until you're down into the middle range on the HUD altimeter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.