[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

You just aren't using enough boosters:

kCNWKCk.png?1

Now, this was done using FAR, so that knocked about 1000 m/s off of the required delta-V to orbit, but I bet you could put it up in the stock atmosphere with enough Mainsails and orange tanks. I believe in you!

(I also used Radial Engine Mounts, as I didn't have any other structural parts unlocked at the time.)

Also, if you do put it up this way, don't be silly like I was and have an offset probe core. That imbalance caused some trouble on the final leg of the ascent when most of the stages were gone.

EDIT: Don't forget the solar panels, either...I ended up putting a few on the probe core (which would be a "tender" for moving parts and experiments around), and then launched the big battery packs and solar panel arrays later.

This is superb, SpeedyB! I want to touch it so much! :D Can't wait to try it out.

Humble suggestion to make it more stock-alike, if I may :): I think it's all in the colors now. There's too much saturation in my point of view. I would take some saturation out of the orange (Kibbal?) ring, and out of those black rings in both models. And if you want some extreme stock-alikeness (although this is pure taste), I would also change the light beige to the same white as on the Stock Mobile Processing Lab.What do you think?

P.S.: In no way I'm trying to interfere with your work. Yours is beautiful and awesome as it is, and I'm very glad and thankful to you for it. I'm just throwing my humble opinion here, as a personal taste.

Cheers!

Edited by Kowgan

You just aren't using enough boosters:

http://i.imgur.com/kCNWKCk.png?1

Now, this was done using FAR, so that knocked about 1000 m/s off of the required delta-V to orbit, but I bet you could put it up in the stock atmosphere with enough Mainsails and orange tanks. I believe in you!

(I also used Radial Engine Mounts, as I didn't have any other structural parts unlocked at the time.)

Also, if you do put it up this way, don't be silly like I was and have an offset probe core. That imbalance caused some trouble on the final leg of the ascent when most of the stages were gone.

EDIT: Don't forget the solar panels, either...I ended up putting a few on the probe core (which would be a "tender" for moving parts and experiments around), and then launched the big battery packs and solar panel arrays later.

lol, normally, I never forget solar panels, usually, it's the batteries that end up being forgotten and I have to launch a new "battery module" to compensate. Not the most elegant way of doing this, but it works. However, now that I have found Bobcat's stuff, old station building has become a "lost"-ish art.

Humble suggestion to make it more stock-alike, if I may :): I think it's all in the colors now. There's too much saturation in my point of view. I would take some saturation out of the orange (Kibbal?) ring, and out of those black rings in both models. And if you want some extreme stock-alikeness (although this is pure taste), I would also change the light beige to the same white as on the Stock Mobile Processing Lab.What do you think?

Cheers!

Sounds good. I'll probly reduce the saturation a bit on the orange. The dark parts will stay dark (being dark painted metal). The textures will be overhauled at some point so things will change quite a bit.

Would it be possible to add the "lights on" toggle in the editor, so when you launch the ship it already has the lights on and you can save it this way? See stock MK3 cockpit for functionality. Also there's a switch that just says "toggle" in the editor, I have no idea what that does as it doesn't seem to do anything.

Awesome mod btw and I can't wait for the new models, especially if they fit in the new MK3 cargobay doors.

Hello, TheWibby. Welcome to the forums.

For good measure, I suggest you searching a few pages back before posting an issue, if not using the "Search Thread" function on the top right. :)

Doing a quick search, I've came with previous posts explaining the same issue.

Basically, this is an issue on the CrowdSourcedScience mod. Delete the original GameData\Squad\Resources\ScienceDefs.cfg file (BACKUP IT FIRST!), and you should be fine.

I couldn't manage to dock something with the attach-o-trons in my career mode, they also didn't appeared to be magnetic.

I tried loading and saving, turning SAS on and off, restarting the game etc.

They worked fine in sandbox mode though.

Has anything about docking changed in 0.90? (Do I need a certain pilot skill level, facility level or something like that?)

8fH32Nv.jpg

qkmcWCq.jpg

I was having a problem with a contract and it turns out the issue was related to StationScience. Not sure why it should be this is the response I got when I posted the issue on the thread for ContractManager, which I thought was the source of the problem:

Yup, that's classic "something failed and the entire contract system fell over" behaviour. I'll take a look.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like StationScience is the problem, not Contract Configurator:

[EXC 12:18:15.478] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ResearchAndDevelopment.partTechAvailable (.AvailablePart ap)
ResearchAndDevelopment.PartTechAvailable (.AvailablePart ap)
StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.AllUnlocked (System.String list)
StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.GetUnlockedExperiments ()
StationScience.Contracts.StnSciContract.Generate ()
Contracts.Contract.Generate (System.Type contractType, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 seed, State state)
Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (Int32 seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, System.Type contractType)
Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContract (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty)
Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts (System.Int32& seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count)
Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts ()
Contracts.ContractSystem+.MoveNext ()

You should post this info along with your logs on their thread.

Hey guys,

first I have to say that's a nice mod which finally gives Stations some really good reason to float in space around my little Kerbals. ;)

So I built a first little station with science lab, cyclotron and some other stuff in orbit of Kerbin.

Accepted the first contract to get prograde Kuarqs, all went well and I finished the contract without problems.

But now I wanted to use the station again, but I just dont get ANY contract (neither pro/retro/eccentric/bioproducts...) for Kerbin..nothing..no contract for Station Science around Kerbin. I have rejected countless contracts but I only get new contracts for other celestials but Kerbin. So is it working as intented to only get 1 contract per celestial?

I hope not, because I was happy when I built my first Station Science Station and wanted to use if for some more contracts, but I dont get new ones.

I couldn't manage to dock something with the attach-o-trons in my career mode, they also didn't appeared to be magnetic.

I tried loading and saving, turning SAS on and off, restarting the game etc.

They worked fine in sandbox mode though.

Has anything about docking changed in 0.90? (Do I need a certain pilot skill level, facility level or something like that?)

Nothing should have changed. Do you have any errors in your log?

Does the Attach-o-Tron block flow of non-fuel substances? I don't want my researchers to die of starvation if their life support resources won't flow from the storage tank.

They'll block manual pumping, but resources like those should still be consumed across the Attach-O-Tron.

Hey guys,

first I have to say that's a nice mod which finally gives Stations some really good reason to float in space around my little Kerbals. ;)

So I built a first little station with science lab, cyclotron and some other stuff in orbit of Kerbin.

Accepted the first contract to get prograde Kuarqs, all went well and I finished the contract without problems.

But now I wanted to use the station again, but I just dont get ANY contract (neither pro/retro/eccentric/bioproducts...) for Kerbin..nothing..no contract for Station Science around Kerbin. I have rejected countless contracts but I only get new contracts for other celestials but Kerbin. So is it working as intented to only get 1 contract per celestial?

I hope not, because I was happy when I built my first Station Science Station and wanted to use if for some more contracts, but I dont get new ones.

It's certainly not intentional. Can you provide me your persistent.sfs file?

I was having a problem with a contract and it turns out the issue was related to StationScience. Not sure why it should be this is the response I got when I posted the issue on the thread for ContractManager, which I thought was the source of the problem:

Did you rename the StationScience folder to "StationScience-1"? That would cause the experiment pods to fail loading, and would cause the errors you see (although I should add checks to prevent these errors, anyway).

They'll block manual pumping, but resources like those should still be consumed across the Attach-O-Tron.

Just confirmed with a test -- I put full tanks (and a battery and an RTG) below a pair of Attach-O-Trons, empty tanks (and battery) and a Kerbal above, and the flat battery charged and the Kerbal survived just fine. TAC also warned me that supplies were running out as soon as I decoupled.

Been having loads of fun with this mod!

This is my station so far J7MpIiE.png and it has been a learning experience to set up both the station itself aswell as a supplyroute to Minmus for constant experiments and kibbal supplies.

However I wonder if this mod makes some kind of check to see if an experiment is acctually logical to give a contract for or not. The station pictured above is the only one I have with station science modules but yet I keep getting asked to do contracts with station science modules around Kerbin, Mun and Duna. It would be cool if experiments followed some kind of order and made sense. I'm not sure how easy it is to handle the adding of contracts into KSP but maybe there is some kind of check that could be done so that if a celestial body lacks a Science lab the first contract should be to put one of those into orbit and then new contracts which requires the science lab become available, including the contracts to add a Cyclotron and Zoology Bay. I don't think adding the second Cyclotron and Kibbal storage need contracts for the Kerbin system but for other celestial bodies it might be nice considering the added commitment of putting esspecially the Cyclotron there. I haven't gotten to the Spectrometer experiments yet so I can't really say anything about that one yet :)

I'd love to see this mod have contracts like what I describe above. It is awesome as is but I think something like this would make it perfect :D

However I wonder if this mod makes some kind of check to see if an experiment is acctually logical to give a contract for or not. The station pictured above is the only one I have with station science modules but yet I keep getting asked to do contracts with station science modules around Kerbin, Mun and Duna. It would be cool if experiments followed some kind of order and made sense. I'm not sure how easy it is to handle the adding of contracts into KSP but maybe there is some kind of check that could be done so that if a celestial body lacks a Science lab the first contract should be to put one of those into orbit and then new contracts which requires the science lab become available, including the contracts to add a Cyclotron and Zoology Bay. I don't think adding the second Cyclotron and Kibbal storage need contracts for the Kerbin system but for other celestial bodies it might be nice considering the added commitment of putting esspecially the Cyclotron there. I haven't gotten to the Spectrometer experiments yet so I can't really say anything about that one yet :)

I'd love to see this mod have contracts like what I describe above. It is awesome as is but I think something like this would make it perfect :D

The first time you get a contract for a given experiment at a given body, the rewards are much higher, under the assumption that you'll be constructing a new station to fulfill it. So those contracts are spawning to encourage you to build new stations.

The contracts should spawn roughly in a sequence, but they're still randomized.

The first time you get a contract for a given experiment at a given body, the rewards are much higher, under the assumption that you'll be constructing a new station to fulfill it. So those contracts are spawning to encourage you to build new stations.

The contracts should spawn roughly in a sequence, but they're still randomized.

Aha seems I haven't looked hard enough at rewards then, thank you for pointing it out :)

Yes, that kind of Surface Sample.

But a Surface Sample from Kerbin would be pointless. The only purpose of the Spectrometron is to enable transmitting Surface Samples at 100%, but you can trivially recover a Kerbin Surface Sample for 100% as soon as you get it. It's kind of like the stock game's Processing Lab. It's pointless to bring things up from Kerbin to analyze in an orbiting Processing Lab.

The point would be to put a station around another planet or moon, and use it to process Surface Samples from below and transmit them without having to make the trip back. It'll be more useful once interplanetary destinations get biomes.

Thanks for this amazing mod, ethernet!!

I haven't launched a Spectrometron yet, but I always assumed that soil sample analysis was a separate experiment, instead of merely short-cutting return of the soil sample to Kerbin. The way that you've explained it above, it seems contradictory to (my perception of) Station Science. All of the Experiment modules require return to Kerbin, so why not just save my soil samples in the return capsule and get 100% science upon arrival? (Instead of hauling an addition 10 (?) ton Spectrometron out to wherever.)

If you were to change the Spectrometron such that its analysis was a different experiment from returning soil sample to Kerbin, IMHO it could add to game play. Assuming that Spectrometron "consumes" a soil sample, this gives players the following choices for each biome/soil sample:

1) Return the sample to Kerbin, same as stock game.

2) Spectometron analysis, transmit results (for faster science).

3) Player can collect two samples from a biome to do both of above, but this requires them to make two trips or bring two separate capsules, since (as far as I'm aware) a capsule can only store a single soil sample for each biome.

I really like this mod, but have one issue (minor) with it.

The station science experiments (such as those involving Kuarks, zoology lab, etc), are very disappointing. It costs a lot to get a science lab, zoology lab, kuark generator into orbit. Then we get to do a few experiments, after which they seem to be mostly useless. I currently have several stations with Kuark generators which at this point are just sitting there.

I was thinking along the lines of long-term experiments, also multiple condition experiments. For example, a long term kuark experiment, which would return a continuous amount of money for a specified period of time, at the end of which would be a final payment. Also, how about an experiment which has to be done in two locations, for example, gather kuarks around the Mun, then more kuarks around Kerbin.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this mod, and think you have done a fantastic job.

Thanks

On my install, I get contracts for doing the StationScience experiments as well, and those have quite nice rewards, that might be added in interaction with other mod though... But I mostly agree, some longer uses for the stations would be wonderful!

On my install, I get contracts for doing the StationScience experiments as well, and those have quite nice rewards, that might be added in interaction with other mod though... But I mostly agree, some longer uses for the stations would be wonderful!

Rewards are nice, and very useful. But, I want my stations to have a purpose other than a single use (and a refueling depot)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.