[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

That's not true, stop spreading misinformation please.

There are some PLUGINS that are working fine with no warnings that were definitelly not compiled against 0.24.

How about people stop spreading information that mods are incompatible when they aren't?

My POINT is just chill and give the mod authors a chance to freaking breath before everyone spams every gosh darn thread saying so and so's mod is marked incompatible. Gee you think they don't know that already?

Ok, guys, any warning you saw about compatibility likely come from the mods themselves and NOT from KSP.

The game doesn't think anything. Deadly Reentry includes a version checker and when it detects that KSP's version has changed it raises a warning. The version checker that is popular also has the option to lock out mod functions (at the developer's discretion). So basically it's an automatic thing that Deadly Reentry and other mods are going to be doing with 0.24 now.

https://github.com/NathanKell/DeadlyReentry/blob/master/Source/Checkers.cs

Edit: And oh look, a DREC update! So go back to your regularly scheduled rocketry destruction now

Glad to oblige!

I haven't done *that* much testing, so let me know if you hit any bugs. But it does seem to work fine.

Will do! This is likely going to be a long update for BTSM given all the changes to career mode so I'll make sure to put DR through its paces while I do so :)

hey guys awsome mod this is, and im trying to get real solar system and realism overhaul to work, but that works only on 23,5, and the deadly reentry is now 24, and 23,5 is not available for download anymore, is it possible that u upload DR 23.5 to the webs once again, so i can use it for RSS and RO

thnx for your great work

I haven't seen any failures, but which troubleshooting other mods I did find that DR seems to be throwing a ton of NullRefs. Even though no failure seems to be present I thought I'd bring it to your attention in case there is something under the hood that needs to be looked at.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7veseyunnug7j0/output_log.txt

DeviceLost entries are video from hotkeying out to sent debut data report updates for other testing

Yes!

I am happy to take suggestions for reasonable part costs.

Well I'm not sure exactly but i think a heat shield should cost a fair amount considering it allows you to protect a capsule, and now capsules have a recoverable value. My first instinct is to make each heat shield slightly less costly than the price of the corresponding command pod

jrandom: that works for RO, but as the anti-FARites will tell you, gameplay before realism. :)

That's why I'm asking what price people suggest--I honestly have no idea how things ought to be balanced for (mostly) stock KSP.

lanceo90: just a recompile, basically. Despite my fears, .24 didn't change anything regarding kerbals to break DRE's killing of them (AFAIK).

jrandom: that works for RO, but as the anti-FARites will tell you, gameplay before realism. :)

That's why I'm asking what price people suggest--I honestly have no idea how things ought to be balanced for (mostly) stock KSP.

lanceo90: just a recompile, basically. Despite my fears, .24 didn't change anything regarding kerbals to break DRE's killing of them (AFAIK).

Some crewroster stuff changed (new Kerbal types like tourists) but nothing that affects tormenting them inside their ships or on EVA.

Will this mod receive a balancing pass at any point? IIRC the cost of the heat shields are all 200...seems a bit low. Other than that thank you for such a quick update. awesome mod.
Yes!

I am happy to take suggestions for reasonable part costs.

And forgive the multipost; maybe the board will autojoin them as it sometimes does.

200 might actually be a bit steep. remember this is a different scale and could be 200 thousands, tens of thousands or millions of funds

consider that some engines are 700 or over. We need to go over parts lists for stock and get a feel for scale

And forgive the multipost; maybe the board will autojoin them as it sometimes does.

200 might actually be a bit steep. remember this is a different scale and could be 200 thousands, tens of thousands or millions of funds

consider that some engines are 700 or over. We need to go over parts lists for stock and get a feel for scale

I've been looking at the stock part costs. Consider the fact that a basic wing is 500 or so. Capsules are between 1 and 4 thousand....I definitely think 200 is too little funds especially when you consider that heat shields will allow you to get back some of the initial cost of the parts they protect.

First off, this mod is awesome. Thanks for all the hard work that's been put into this.

I've been using it for a few KSP versions now, but in the last few I've noticed flickering re-entry effects. I managed to dredge up some posts on this thread from someone with the same problem.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54954-0-24-Deadly-Reentry-Continued-v4-8-7-17-14/page123

I'm assuming there is still no fix for this? I didn't have time to scan the whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been solved (and I apologize if I'm just bringing up a known issue that hasn't been solved too).