[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Unless there's a bug I'm not aware of, DREC maintains the ratio between engine heat production and engine max temperature. DRE won't decrease an engine's max temperature without also decreasing its heat production proportionally.

So is everyone saying that engine heat production is realistic as is? SO when a space shuttle launches, it has to throttle its max thrust to 60% of max the whole way up to avoid melting the engine bell?

I am having a small issue with Deadly Reentry and engine heat production. I am using Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter and when I decouple my boosters, the four Sepratrons of each booster make the big fuel tank explode due to overheating. It's a bit ridiculous given the size of the Sepratrons and I would like to tweak their specific heat production : I am only using them to clean up decoupling operations and it kind of breaks their purpose if I have to tune down their thrust to 20% or so.

How can I reduce their heat production ? If possible, I'd like to use a MM config but I do not know what attributes I should use.

So is everyone saying that engine heat production is realistic as is? SO when a space shuttle launches, it has to throttle its max thrust to 60% of max the whole way up to avoid melting the engine bell?
I am having a small issue with Deadly Reentry and engine heat production. I am using Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter and when I decouple my boosters, the four Sepratrons of each booster make the big fuel tank explode due to overheating. It's a bit ridiculous given the size of the Sepratrons and I would like to tweak their specific heat production : I am only using them to clean up decoupling operations and it kind of breaks their purpose if I have to tune down their thrust to 20% or so.

How can I reduce their heat production ? If possible, I'd like to use a MM config but I do not know what attributes I should use.

The following will turn off the exhaust damage. If you want to adjust heat output of the exhaust you will need to uncomment the line that reads //@heatProduction = 550 and change it to what you want.

TeeGee might also adapt this to his SSME problem, except he would have to

• change the text sepMotor1 to the name of the engine that he's having trouble with (I don't know what the name of it is; TeeGee will have to open the config file for it and look at the line that says 'name = ...')
  • delete the line @exhaustDamage = False
  • he would have to uncomment and change heat production to something appropriate.

@PART[sepMotor1]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
//@heatProduction = 550
@exhaustDamage = False
}
}

I'll post one tonight.

edit: wait are you sure it doesn't already have one???

I don't see configs for the phase one shuttle or the phase three in my DRE folder, and the mod does not come with one.

Edited by Woodstar

I don't see configs for the phase one shuttle or the phase three in my DRE folder, and the mod does not come with one.

Yes it does. KSO comes with one for each shuttle in a folder named FX. I knew the smaller shuttle had one and it seemed odd that KSO25 would not and there it is. I couldn't check until just now because I've had a hectic day.

That said, I'm going to make a proper set of configs for my own use and I'll make it available for others. (proper in that it does not use ablative shielding which adds unnecessary mass that will reduce your payload capacity by that much)

How was the value of REENTRY_EFFECTS.gToleranceMult set? The default value of 3 seems a bit extreme, since it means that anything with a crash tolerance above 2 m/s (i.e., just about any part) is for all practical purposes unbreakable. Is there a situation where G-forces become a structural problem despite the high multiplier?

How was the value of REENTRY_EFFECTS.gToleranceMult set? The default value of 3 seems a bit extreme, since it means that anything with a crash tolerance above 2 m/s (i.e., just about any part) is for all practical purposes unbreakable. Is there a situation where G-forces become a structural problem despite the high multiplier?

Yeah, I've lost parts to structural failure on very steep high-G reentries. Frankly with all the groaning and moaning and sounds of metal tearing and rending, I was surprised to only lose an RTG. Fortunately I'd built it with a backup. Personally I feel that just relying on the part's crash tolerance and a simple multiplier are not enough. It should also be based on mass. . The Genesis sample return probe had G forces in excess of 30G. If you tried to do that with something more massive and complex it would crumple. There's no way in DREC to achieve similar results unless you globally set the multiplier for everything.

I did have some simple code floating around that did away with the multiplier and instead based it on mass. And it worked well in that small simple probes could withstand really high Gs. Large stuff would fail and Kerbals, of course would require a sponge and a bucket.

I'm trying to increase the inflatables drag in .cfg, what do the value curve numbers for max and min drag mean?

minimum drag is unused by the stock drag system that we're used to.

You should probably NOT mess with max drag. The current config for the inflatable sets it to 5 when fully inflatable. That's 25 times the drag coefficient for most stock parts and already tends to cause reentry vehicles with that shield to flip, in addition to being an unrealistic amount of drag. If anything you should be looking to decrease that.

I suggest this patch: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54954-0-23-5-Deadly-Reentry-Continued-v4-7-5-5-14?p=1225945&viewfull=1#post1225945

Edit: To elaborate a bit more, maximum drag is a drag coefficient and equivalent to cD in the classic drag formula D = Cd * A * .5 * r * V^2

except that Squad cheated on the surface area and substituted that with part mass. But basically, that's what maximum drag is there

Edited by Starwaster

Hello!

I am using both Ferram Aerospace Research and Deadly Reentry.

I am using them with Real Solar System mod with the real size Earth and real orbital and suborbital entry speeds.

I have downloaded the config file from the first post and put into my Deadly Reentry folder as instructed.

The problem is that in game none of the heat shields changed their max temperatures or their ablation parametres.

That makes my capsules burn up each time. The most interesting thing is that the heat shield is always the very first thing to burn up and the capsule may still survive for some time after being exposed.

Even more interesting is that my excessive acceleration forces tend to kill the kerbals inside most of the time even regarding that kerbals may survive much more of that than humans while my actual speed does not seem to be decreasing that aggressively. For you to visualize what is happening it looks much like crash landing an aircraft into the water. The shock is so intense that it does not slow the thing down but makes it break up in seconds and then slows it down.

What can the problem be?

What can I do with it?

What is a normal temperature for a ballistic entry from an orbital or a suborbital flight in reality?

I suppose for a lift controlled entry it would be lower always be much lower anyway.

What temperature should a Real Solar System heat shield withstand normally?

Why does the fix config file seem to change nothing?

Thank you for all your assistance!

Make sure you're using the RealismOverhaul heat shields. The originals ones are still under structural; ignore them. Keep going and later on in the parts list the RO shields should be there.

No, the originals are updated by RO to match respective values as required.

Kitspace, I did NOT see RO in your list of mods, you need it for RSS, DRE, FAR.

both of those answers aside,

Kit, if your Kerbals are dying from decelleration trauma then your reentry may be too steep. Make it more shallow. you'll spend more time decellerating in the upper atmosphere where it's easier and less traumatic

Hey does anybody know what section of the part file I should delete to remove the decoupler function? I live in constant terror of a staging error popping off my heatshields.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDecouple

ejectionForce = 40

//explosiveNodeID = top

isOmniDecoupler = true

staged = true

}

Edited by sebi.zzr

That is right. I do not like some of the Realism Overhaul features so I am not using the complete pack of those mods. I would like to use just the heat shields. How do I do that? What critical temperature should they have if installed correctly?

I am trying to replicate the Mercury missions. I have played Orbiter for a long time and still playing it and I bet Mercury entry paths are much more steep even on orbital missions not even talking about Redstone missions. I can tolerate maybe nine gees because that is realistic but not twenty nine! And that is with my path taking me through upper atmosphere really fast and shallow with just a couple metres per second of descent. Just a few degrees steeper and closer to the real path and the Kerbal is certainly dead.