[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I just noticed the Mk1 pod's ablative shielding shows up in the RMB info window as 250 and appears in the resources menu in flight as 250 but when you can't adjust the value in the VAB. Is there a reason for this? I know I don't need 250 to return from LKO so I'd like to cut back on the amount to save some weight

I just noticed the Mk1 pod's ablative shielding shows up in the RMB info window as 250 and appears in the resources menu in flight as 250 but when you can't adjust the value in the VAB. Is there a reason for this? I know I don't need 250 to return from LKO so I'd like to cut back on the amount to save some weight

Tweaking isn't set on a per-part basis.

AblativeShielding is set to be tweakable. How are you trying to adjust it? Did you try right clicking the part?

yes, right-clicking the pod lists everything but ablative shielding. Adding a heat shield to the pod, I can tweak the heat shield's ablative values - but this pod doesn't need a heat shield since it comes with one. I'm wondering if the fact that the heat shield comes with the pod it is not set to be tweakable. Which I would accept if that were the case. If NathanKell just didn't think to enable it for tweaking, I'd like to have the option.

yes, right-clicking the pod lists everything but ablative shielding. Adding a heat shield to the pod, I can tweak the heat shield's ablative values - but this pod doesn't need a heat shield since it comes with one. I'm wondering if the fact that the heat shield comes with the pod it is not set to be tweakable. Which I would accept if that were the case. If NathanKell just didn't think to enable it for tweaking, I'd like to have the option.

Presumably the resource is being added to the capsule with a module manage config, if so you can search the DRE config file which will affect the Squad parts and locate the resource line it's adding and add the tweakable = yes line

Stuck at work right now so I can't check to give more precise details, also my assumption could be totally wrong

I'm not even sure you can change whether or not a part's resources can be tweaked. I checked the DREC heat shields and the config for the Mk1pod where AblativeShielding is added, and they're both done the same way. Not sure why you can't change it and I don't think there was a conscious decision to render it untweakable

Presumably the resource is being added to the capsule with a module manage config, if so you can search the DRE config file which will affect the Squad parts and locate the resource line it's adding and add the tweakable = yes line

Stuck at work right now so I can't check to give more precise details, also my assumption could be totally wrong

buncha stuff deleted

Edit: Dunno if this will actually work but try making a config file with this in it:

@PART[Mk1pod]:AFTER[DeadlyReentry]
{
@RESOURCE[AblativeShielding]
{
%isTweakable = true
}
}

Edited by Starwaster

oh, duh I tried before posting here adding isTweakable to MODULE[ModuleHeatShield].

Actually I didn't even notice the RESOURCE block. I thought it wasn't there and something different was being done to add the heat shield to the pod. Must be getting late...

Edit: WOW I was previously looking at the Mark1Cockpit config. Yup time to head to bed!!

Edited by Gaiiden

How do I get the Real Solar System capable heat shields?

And what gives me that crazy deceleration with a shallow trajectory?

Pretty sure the answer you want is on the front page, first post, third paragraph, plain as day. I'm not not sure how we can get that information to people any plainer unless we use a flashing red neon sign :(

Not to be mean but my mean bone is acting up and I'm down to my last nerve coming up with FAR and DREC configs that will let the KSO25 survive an RSS reentry. And I just witnessed 8 kerbals die. AGAIN.

Edited by Starwaster

You... you monster! Only eight?? That's a waste of fuel, man! You gotta kill at least 16 per launch or we'll fall behind quota!

Fine, I'll put another habitat in the cargo bay, but their blood is on your hands!

May the god of unplanned disassemblies have mercy on your soul.

That is right. I do not like some of the Realism Overhaul features so I am not using the complete pack of those mods. I would like to use just the heat shields. How do I do that? What critical temperature should they have if installed correctly?

I am trying to replicate the Mercury missions. I have played Orbiter for a long time and still playing it and I bet Mercury entry paths are much more steep even on orbital missions not even talking about Redstone missions. I can tolerate maybe nine gees because that is realistic but not twenty nine! And that is with my path taking me through upper atmosphere really fast and shallow with just a couple metres per second of descent. Just a few degrees steeper and closer to the real path and the Kerbal is certainly dead.

Kitspace: well, that's your problem. Of course your Gs are going to be higher. Ask yourself this: which will decelerate quicker in air, a rock or a piece of paper? Well, since you're not rescaling the size of the Mk1 pod, and yet it has Mercury's mass, it's going to behave more like a rock than a piece of paper, which means it's going to come in much hotter and faster and have brutal deceleration at the end.

It isn't just for kicks that I rescaled stuff in RO--there's a reason that real life pods are the size and weight they are. If you want KSP sizes, you're going to have to proportionally decrease mass - right down to 0.2 tons for the Mk1 pod, plus 250kg for the shielding yields 0.45t, which is the Mercury's 1.12 tons divided by (1.6*1.6) due to the decrease in surface area.

Starwaster: the latest DREC does set Ablative tweakable in the RESOURCE_DEFINITION (which is where you have to enable tweakability; the setting in the RESOURCE node will only disable it if it's already enabled, IIRC, it won't force-enable it).

Kitspace: well, that's your problem. Of course your Gs are going to be higher. Ask yourself this: which will decelerate quicker in air, a rock or a piece of paper? Well, since you're not rescaling the size of the Mk1 pod, and yet it has Mercury's mass, it's going to behave more like a rock than a piece of paper, which means it's going to come in much hotter and faster and have brutal deceleration at the end.

It isn't just for kicks that I rescaled stuff in RO--there's a reason that real life pods are the size and weight they are. If you want KSP sizes, you're going to have to proportionally decrease mass - right down to 0.2 tons for the Mk1 pod, plus 250kg for the shielding yields 0.45t, which is the Mercury's 1.12 tons divided by (1.6*1.6) due to the decrease in surface area.

Starwaster: the latest DREC does set Ablative tweakable in the RESOURCE_DEFINITION (which is where you have to enable tweakability; the setting in the RESOURCE node will only disable it if it's already enabled, IIRC, it won't force-enable it).

BTW, you want to talk BRUTAL?

KSO25 + RSS + FAR + DREC

MY. GOD. I'm having a devil of a time coming up with a reflective only set of configurations that can survive. I'm having to crank it up to 90% reflectivity and I'm still losing bits. Nothing important; just stabilizers, wings and landing gear. Part of the problem is the FAR configuration itself I guess, took some tweaking on someone's part but it's a pain keeping the orbiter at a decent configuration. I have a mess of Kerbals on sub orbital right now who are waiting for me to come back with a decent config that will get them home.

I'm reminded of that scene from Serenity actually...

"Just get us on the ground!"

"That part will happen pretty definitely!"

Sorry for being noob but I have to ask this: is there any way to shield wings? I think it's pretty crucial to make shuttle-like reentry, but I couldn't do so. (I KNOW ways to make reentry without shielded wings, making a good steep AoA.)

Edit: I found a way to make parts heat shielded, but it tweaks cfg...is there no way to do so in game or parts specific? I don't want to make all wings shielded.

Edited by FennexFox

I did something like this to some parts, you could add a ModuleManager cfg for all your wings.

@PART[LazTekDragon2]
{
@maxTemp = 1800
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0 // underside of fuselage
reflective = 0.25 // 25% of heat is ignored at correct angle
}
}

I did something like this to some parts, you could add a ModuleManager cfg for all your wings.

@PART[LazTekDragon2]
{
@maxTemp = 1800
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0 // underside of fuselage
}
}

The problem with the direction is that you only get that 25% when the bottom surface of your plane is completely perpendicular to the velocity vector. You literally have to come in with a pitch of 90 degrees. At a standard space plane reentry posture you'll only get half of your rated reflectivity.

Which is still fine for stock Kerbin and default DREC settings, but if you increase the difficulty for Earth scaled reentry heating, you will notice the difference. (the tip off is burning insulation and Kerbal flesh)

direction 0, 1, 1 is better and more realistic

Edit: Oh and your 0, -1, 0 actually has another problem, which is that it points towards the back of most fuselage parts instead of their belly. You'd actually want 0, 0, 1 for your version

Kit: What do you mean it's not working? Have you actually tried the shields in flight? It's not likely you'd notice a difference otherwise

Edited by Starwaster

Not sure if this is a bug with some mods (I have a *cough* few installed) but just recently (last two launches) I'm getting "crew g-force limit reached"... which wouldn't be unusual, if I was pulling more than 2 G's at the time :P I had to throttle back my launch (max recorded G's was 1.8) until I staged from my launch stage, at which point the warning disappeared. The only thing that changed in that time was the bottom stage of the NovaPunch launch system I was using had staged. I'll have to test more and give an update.

direction 0, 1, 1 is better and more realistic

Edit: Oh and your 0, -1, 0 actually has another problem, which is that it points towards the back of most fuselage parts instead of their belly. You'd actually want 0, 0, 1 for your version

Right, this is for a capsule, for actual fuselages I (like with the capsule) grabbed values from DRE's cfg file (I think).

I mostly always steal lines from mods, I lack the knowledge to read most stuff on more than a basic level.

@PART[mk2_1m_Adapter]
{
@maxTemp = 1500
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0.15, 0.9 // underside of fuselage
}
}

Update on my earlier post. Not entirely sure what the issue was. The same flight I was on I pushed up to 3G's without warning, so I thought the module was the problem. But I'm still using it, and no further problems. So... no clue what the problem was, but it appears to have gone away :D

It could have, but if it did it was pretty minor. I managed to get it into orbit and complete the mission... I'm working on the re-entry portion now, as I have no delta-V left and didn't include a heatshield in the design... erm, oops. Aerobraking for the aero-space craft it is!

The only thing that really confuses me about it is that I was doing test flights, with no major changes in between. It was only those couple launches out of 5 that I got hit with it (not including the death-by-g-force that I reverted)