[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Was the g fatality behaviour changed recently-ish? Since the other day I was pulling 20g loops in a plane and getting the warning but completed the loop with no deaths, but on the other hand a few DRE and KSP versions ago I tried Roverdude's warp drive and it caused a brief g spike which DRE made kill the kerbal.

Read previous posts in this thread.

I did. and I cant and anything to answer my question....

sooo

that's why I asked

Im getting so fed up with that response.

if you know that answer to my question and you bothered to resposnd then why the hell didn't you just type the ANSWER.?

A few people have said that its possible but nobody has said how

ive looked at the ingame menus and there is no option ingame as far as I can see.

Edited by joebopie

Anyone else experiencing that the "6.25m Inflatable Heatshield" starts open when changing to the launch screen?

Only if you've opened it in the editor. If you do that at all the animator gets confused about its true state even if you close it, save and reload. You need to discard that shield and get a new one in the editor.

Alternatively, install the ADEPT deployable (3rd party; link in OP)

it's a high quality part without the quirks that the DRE inflatable's animation is plagued by.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

1. If you currently have Deadly Reentry installed, go to KSP/GameData/DeadlyReentry and delete everything (files and folders) except custom.cfg. Also delete any old versions of ModuleManager (modulemanager.dll for example) in your KSP/GameData folder.

2. Extract this archive to your KSP/GameData folder.

I am a tad confused here, new to KSP modding. I downloaded DR from the OP, and inside it I have the following folders:

Assets

Parts

Plugins

Sounds

and then a bunch of miscellaneous config files i think.

Do i drag/merge the assets,parts,plugins,and sounds folders into the base KSP folder, and drag the configs and other stuff into the gamedata folder?

I really hope someone sees this soon lol, I work 3rd shift and have the night off, and I'm ready to try .90 finally

Edited by r4pt0r

However, all that said: Your Kerbals are not dying because the mod is too harsh on them. They're dying because you're imposing harsh conditions on them. Instead of monkeying with the settings you should be modifying your launch or reentry procedures (or both, whichever is killing them I dont know) until your Kerbals survive.

Mine aren't dying unless I deliberately expose them to reentries that are too steep or launches aboard vehicles with excessive TWR. It's really not that hard

No no no, I myself had no problem with g-forces ; I always keep my TWR at 1.24 to save fuel, and the Trajectories mod helps me find nice clean 2.5g rides back to KSC. However, as I aforementioned, Scott Manley had his Kerbals dying from a (at least I think) non -lethal crash, and that kind of unnerved me. Check the second to last episode of Interstellar Quest.

I am a tad confused here, new to KSP modding. I downloaded DR from the OP, and inside it I have the following folders:

Assets

Parts

Plugins

Sounds

and then a bunch of miscellaneous config files i think.

Do i drag/merge the assets,parts,plugins,and sounds folders into the base KSP folder, and drag the configs and other stuff into the gamedata folder?

I really hope someone sees this soon lol, I work 3rd shift and have the night off, and I'm ready to try .90 finally

simply put the deadly reentry folder into gamedata

No recent changes to g force behavior. I don't know about the Manley thing. How old is that video (and how old a version of DRE?)

Can't say much about his Kerbaldeaths but he probably spent awhile at over 6G and it added up after awhile.

It is a pretty new video ;I doubt that it was published more than 3 weeks ago. And as his spaceplane spent a lot of time in a TWR of led than one (Using one DT-Vista from the Interstellar Mod), I don't think he experienced enough gs for them to accumulate enough.

get the missing visible reentry effects fixed too in next update?

As far as I know, all reentry effects issues were resolved when DRE updated for KSP 0.90.

This is the first I've heard since then that there were either new issues or unresolved old issues.

If you have an issue with them, please file a bug report describing the issue clearly and concisely and provide output_log.txt (or player.log if Linux or Mac)

So, I'd been using Flowerchild's custom settings on page 50 for quite some time. The mod has gone through lots of updates since then and I'm just wondering if they're still functional/have the same effect.

For the most part, probably. For Kerbin at least.

Probably.

hmm. I was hoping for a more definitive answer. Kerbal lives are at stake! Would I know immediately if something were off, or is it more of a "fly there and see" type of thing?

Or, better yet, is there a more recent version of settings I could use that would accomplish a similar level of difficulty? Or is that even necessary?

I ask because, like much else in KSP, the functions involved in those settings are way above my head. Rocket scientist I am not. I know juuuust enough to play the game.

hmm. I was hoping for a more definitive answer. Kerbal lives are at stake! Would I know immediately if something were off, or is it more of a "fly there and see" type of thing?

Or, better yet, is there a more recent version of settings I could use that would accomplish a similar level of difficulty? Or is that even necessary?

I ask because, like much else in KSP, the functions involved in those settings are way above my head. Rocket scientist I am not. I know juuuust enough to play the game.

I didn't really use those settings before though. I don't know if they'll have the same exact effect or not. Some things are definitely calculated differently now. If you use the legacy aero option, that would probably give you a better guarantee (but not 100%, sorry) of them working.

(non-legacy-aero means non-Kerbin planets have different atmospheric characteristics. Jool for instance is assumed to be mostly hydrogen so its atmosphere is treated as lower density, which means less heating. Which is good overall because reentries there can be tough. Especially if you're using RSS where it becomes Jupiter with 45km/s reentry speeds. Yikes!)