[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Sounds like a problem with the ablation metric setting which isn't exposed in the mod's debug menu yet. Working on that in the next update.

Could it be a ridiculousMaxTemp/maxTempScale issue? With settings of 150/0.5 respectively like the default, the 1.25m heatshield maxTemp becomes 900. It would then burn up before it even gets to

key = 1000 64 0 0 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C

Edward

Edit: Never mind, I now see ablation is based on shockwave temperature and max dissipation is at 500C part temp.

Edited by futrtrubl

A question for people complaining that their heatshields don't ablate very much: How many of you are using Better Atmospheres or KSPRC? I ask because both of those mods include RealSolarSystem, but they only do so for it's "atmosphere from ground" settings for visual niceness.

Isn't Deadly Reentry going to notice that the RSS .dll is present and apply RSS settings for these users even though they're not really using RSS? Couldn't that result in heatshields not ablating much?

Could it be a ridiculousMaxTemp/maxTempScale issue? With settings of 150/0.5 respectively like the default, the 1.25m heatshield maxTemp becomes 900. It would then burn up before it even gets to
key = 1000 64 0 0 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C

Edward

Edit: Never mind, I now see ablation is based on shockwave temperature and max dissipation is at 500C part temp.

Correct, except for the beta's alternate heating model which only uses shockwave temperature for simple comparison to part temperature; if part temperature > shockwave then no heating is applied. Temperature increases are calculated from an empirical formula (which I am probably abusing the hell out of)

Aside from that, I can definitely see ridiculousMaxTemp of 150 causing serious problems and Deadly Reentry has that set to 1250 by default. If it were set to 150, going by your example, the final max temp would be 150 because the halved value (of 900) would still be lower than the ridiculousMaxTemp. If you've set it that low yourself or if you're using a mod that sets it that low that would be seriously problematic. ;)

I was playing on windows pc, bought the heat shields, saved game, and took it to my laptop for the weekend. My laptop is working with ubuntu. The mod works fine on Linux too but... Do I have to buy the heat shields AGAIN? :(

I have no idea why you would have to buy heat shields again. That makes no sense to me. If you installed everything correctly and copied your save files over then no, you should not have to buy heat shields again. :rolleyes:

Aside from that, I can definitely see ridiculousMaxTemp of 150 causing serious problems and Deadly Reentry has that set to 1250 by default. If it were set to 150, going by your example, the final max temp would be 150 because the halved value (of 900) would still be lower than the ridiculousMaxTemp. If you've set it that low yourself or if you're using a mod that sets it that low that would be seriously problematic. ;)

Oops, that's what I get for posting late at night, skipped a digit, 1250 it is. Haven't changed any of the settings myself. ;']

I do like the three temperature idea, shockwave, skin and internal. This would allow you to get realistic/controllable skin/heatshield temperatures for ablation, and realistic part temperatures for destruction. It adds a lot of work though.

Unfortunately while I do want realistic and intuitive heating this instant how much thought and effort do you want to put into something that will probably change completely when 1.0 comes out? The trials of beta...

Didn't understand a word of that, but it sounds exciting! :D

In other words, instead of assuming that the baseline reentry time limit is based on EITHER stock sized Kerbin OR Earth sized Kerbin, I'll calculate it on the fly after looking up size/mass of Kerbin. For instance, stock Kerbin takes roughly 3 minutes to complete reentry, we want an optimal reentry to result in X amount of ablative material consumed. But that might not be enough for Earth where a reentry could take 15 minutes or longer.

Am I doing something wrong or is stock Kerbin too easy?

After intalling DRE, I tried a reentry pod with no heat shield at all, I put it in a normal reentry angle (shallow) and the unshielded parts reach around 250C... A little more than the oven I use to cook at home :P Is this to be expected?

I have DRE 6.5.2 beta installed and KSP 0.90

Edited by Jaeleth

I installed this newest version and added the .dll (I am running win 8.1). As soon as the game starts loading, I get the ingame popup error, saying this version is incompatible. Any suggestions, or should I stick back to the older deadly reentry version?

Edit: now I get the error message even with the older error... what happened?

Edited by Bersagliere81

Am I doing something wrong or is stock Kerbin too easy?

After intalling DRE, I tried a reentry pod with no heat shield at all, I put it in a normal reentry angle (shallow) and the unshielded parts reach around 250C... A little more than the oven I use to cook at home :P Is this to be expected?

I have DRE 6.5.2 beta installed and KSP 0.90

No, you're doing it right. Stock Kerbin is just really easy.

I believe the difficulty in beta is still a work-in-progress. If it's so easy that nothing burns up, why even have the mod? :P

You gotta change the Density Exponent to something like 0.4 in the debug menu to feel the power :)

I installed this newest version and added the .dll (I am running win 8.1). As soon as the game starts loading, I get the ingame popup error, saying this version is incompatible. Any suggestions, or should I stick back to the older deadly reentry version?

Edit: now I get the error message even with the older error... what happened?

That you explicitly mention adding the dll in addition to installing the mod tells me that you are using an incompatible version just like the error says. Don't copy in other dll versions unless explicitly told to do so and only with the version of DRE / KSP that dll was meant for.

Great that you fixed it. Sorry I missed your last post. Been busy doing IRL stuff and hacking on the next update.

Speaking of which (to all), I've got it so that the metrics for both ablation and dissipation are separately tweakable and some other tweaks and fixes. And added some extra buttons that enable the alternate heating model. (one for stock and one for RSS. Easy, Default and Hard will all be restored to their previous settings in the next update). The original heating model and the alternate have been properly separated so that it will behave as 'legacy' if you don't have alternate enabled. (with the exception that all incoming heat will be increased by approximately 12% to compensate (partially) for the stock dissipation values.

Speaking of which did everyone catch the last dev notes from Squad? Total overhaul of the heating system. We will in 1.0 have a proper concept of heat vs temperature including factoring in resources. What that means for the future of Deadly Reentry I'm not sure yet as it could well be made obsolete. We'll have to see what happens when 1.0 comes out.

Edited by Starwaster

Speaking of which did everyone catch the last dev notes from Squad? Total overhaul of the heating system. We will in 1.0 have a proper concept of heat vs temperature including factoring in resources. What that means for the future of Deadly Reentry I'm not sure yet as it could well be made obsolete. We'll have to see what happens when 1.0 comes out.

Yea, I suspect also this is the reason why there's been no visible movement on the RealHeat mod (that I've seen, anyways). And FAR/NEAR. Will be interesting to see how things adapt to 1.0 and the new stock functionality it's bringing with it

Hello , i am using KSP 0.90. No mather what i try my pod does not get more than 400-500 degrees hot, even without a shield returning from the moon. I set the shockwave exponent to 1.06 for all 3 dificulties in custom.cfg but the results are almost the same. In version 0.25 KSP and DRC 6.2.1 all was working just as i wanted it to by only seting shocwave exponent to 1.03.So it would be nice if someone can give me some help with this. Thanks

And FAR/NEAR. Will be interesting to see how things adapt to 1.0 and the new stock functionality it's bringing with it

FAR has been busy working on a new voxel-based implementation. Should be very interesting once it's working.

Personally, I suspect the new stock heating model will end up like the new stock aerodynamics model; a decent game-like approximation, but far from realistic, and there'll still be plenty of room for DRE to improve things.

One question: had planned a flyby at layte at roundabout 6000 m/s at a height of roughly 60km. Layte atmosphere should end in my memory around 50km, so why did my vessel burn up? Latest versions of DR and FAR, stock planets (ok, astronomers pack). Did something in my install broke?

Hello , i am using KSP 0.90. No mather what i try my pod does not get more than 400-500 degrees hot, even without a shield returning from the moon. I set the shockwave exponent to 1.06 for all 3 dificulties in custom.cfg but the results are almost the same. In version 0.25 KSP and DRC 6.2.1 all was working just as i wanted it to by only seting shocwave exponent to 1.03.So it would be nice if someone can give me some help with this. Thanks

Find the file custom.cfg in your DeadlyReentry folder. Edit it.

Replace the contents of that file with the config code in the spoilerified section below.

Save the file when you're done editing it.

@REENTRY_EFFECTS[Easy]:FINAL
{
@shockwaveExponent = 1
@shockwaveMultiplier = 1
@heatMultiplier = 25
@startThermal = 750
@fullThermal = 1250
@afxDensityExponent = 0.75
@temperatureExponent = 1
@densityExponent = 0.8
@gToleranceMult = 6
@parachuteTempMult = 0.5
@crewGKillChance = 0.01
@parachuteDifficulty = 0.8
@crewGClamp = 10
@crewGPower = 4
@crewGMin = 10
@crewGWarn = 450000
@crewGLimit = 900000
@legacyAero = False
@dissipationCap = True
@useAlternateDensity = False
@useAlternateHeatModel = False
}
@REENTRY_EFFECTS[Default]:FINAL
{
@shockwaveExponent = 1
@shockwaveMultiplier = 1
@heatMultiplier = 25
@startThermal = 750
@fullThermal = 1250
@afxDensityExponent = 0.65
@temperatureExponent = 1
@densityExponent = 0.6
@gToleranceMult = 6
@parachuteTempMult = 0.25
@crewGKillChance = 0.01
@crewGClamp = 30
@crewGPower = 4
@crewGMin = 5
@crewGWarn = 450000
@crewGLimit = 900000
@legacyAero = False
@dissipationCap = True
}
@REENTRY_EFFECTS[Hard]:FINAL
{
@shockwaveExponent = 1.005
@shockwaveMultiplier = 1
@heatMultiplier = 20
@startThermal = 750
@fullThermal = 1250
@afxDensityExponent = 0.55
@temperatureExponent = 1.005
@densityExponent = 0.6
@gToleranceMult = 6
@parachuteTempMult = 0.5
@crewGKillChance = 0.01
@crewGClamp = 30
@crewGPower = 4
@crewGMin = 5
@crewGWarn = 225000
@crewGLimit = 450000
@legacyAero = False
@dissipationCap = True
}

One question: had planned a flyby at layte at roundabout 6000 m/s at a height of roughly 60km. Layte atmosphere should end in my memory around 50km, so why did my vessel burn up? Latest versions of DR and FAR, stock planets (ok, astronomers pack). Did something in my install broke?

I don't know. Need more info.

What other mods do you have? How about Real Solar System? Laythe's atmosphere ends at 600 km in RSS. (because it's been turned into Titan. Atmospheric pressure is 0.04 at 60km and density is comparable to Kerbin still)

To all: Looking at doing another update sometime in the very near future. (maybe even tonight or tomorrow). This will probably be the final beta update and if that goes well then it will go full release. This will likely be the last update before the next KSP update, barring hotfixes.

Edited by Starwaster

Ok, beta update. This is probably the last beta update barring necessary bug fixes. As indicated in the change log below, there's some extra buttons in the difficulties section. But, they are not technically difficulty settings. They are two different presettings for the alternate heat model. One for Stock and one for RSS. Unlike in previous betas of this version, the new heat model is properly separated from the legacy model. Except for a slight increase in incoming heat calibrated to offset the increased stock dissipation. (except that it does not fully offset it because it uses the incoming heat as a base and outgoing heat uses the total part temperature. If I try to offset it fully though it could result in the part retaining way too much heat and it would get 69,105% easier to blow up on takeoff.

Not present in this release is the dynamic determined ablation metric for RSS installs. However, that is exposed in the menu so it should be readily tweakable. I'll try to come up with something later.

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v6.5.3-beta

• Added two extra buttons to the 'difficulty' buttons. (not difficulties. Two presets for alternate heat models. One for stock and one for RSS)
  • Extra debugging items in context menu (heat logging)
  • Chute warning messages disappear immediately when it is safe to deploy or if warning messages were disabled.
  • Legacy heating model is 99% preserved if legacy heating is desired.
  • Incoming heat is increased by an amount proportional to a part's heatDissipation (this is the 1%) if part temperature is less than shockwave temperature
  • Context menu is marked dirty any time a change is made that requires the menu to be updated.
  • Conductivity changes removed from all heat shield configurations. (unwanted side effects causing heating/cooling at odd times)
  • inflatable heat shield drag altered to precise specifications.