[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I have to disagree with that. If you don't just launch the probe straight up and let it reenter vertically at huge speeds, there is no danger... I have fun establishing satellite networks with RemoteTech and it's really disappointing that each time, panels break only after falling under 30.000m and heat doesn't burn a single part, and we can forget about g-force. I see all my probes crash on the surface while they where intact. What this mod really needs is to consider air pressure since kerbin is too small for real reentry damage, it would need to look like it's raining flames, the parts would tear off and slowly burn up.

I have to disagree with that. If you don't just launch the probe straight up and let it reenter vertically at huge speeds, there is no danger... I have fun establishing satellite networks with RemoteTech and it's really disappointing that each time, panels break only after falling under 30.000m and heat doesn't burn a single part, and we can forget about g-force. I see all my probes crash on the surface while they where intact. What this mod really needs is to consider air pressure since kerbin is too small for real reentry damage, it would need to look like it's raining flames, the parts would tear off and slowly burn up.

Solar panels have a windResistance variable that can be added in the module code. It doesn't seem to be present in any of the stock parts so maybe it's not implemented, or it might just default to a value that's too high.

Try adding it in and playing with the values to see if you can make it more fragile.

(unless I'm reading too much into that name and maybe it alters drag or something....?)

For the squad gigantor panels you'd do this with ModuleManager

(play with the number until you find something that works for you)

@PART[largesolarpanel]
{
@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
{
windResistance = 0.5
}
}

Looking to add a DR heatshield to the shielded docking port on this page. Tried looking at the ModuleManager changes to the stock shielded port but couldn't figure out what was going on. Help..?

It is pretty easy but don't have quite the time now to show you . If tomorrow no one else has helped you (Which I tihink is pretty unlikely) I will send you a quick MM file :wink:

Aknar: As I said, Kerbin just isn't that dangerous unless you make the heating unrealistic. Change that shockwave parameter (as it says in the OP).

a_gun: here's the annotated MM patch

@maxTemp = 1700 // what is the max temp that part can stand.

MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield // add a heat shield
direction = 0, 0, 0 // all directions (NOTE: in form of a vector3, x, y, z. So 0, -1, 0 = shielded from below (like a pod). 0, 0, 0 = omnidirectional
reflective = 0.25 // 25% of heat is ignored when closed
adjustCollider = 0.25 // the attachNode is kinda funky.
// play with that value until the closed port properly shields things, but NOT itself.
}

// these two modules change values based on the state of the part's animation. Assuming that part starts closed, these work. If not, if the port starts open, for the first number after each key =, use 1-that. So change it to key = 1, key = 0.9, key = 0 if they start open
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimation2Value
animationName = dockingring
valueName = maxTemp
valueCurve
{
key = 0 1700 0 0
key = 0.1 1500 0 0
key = 1 1450 0 0
}
}
//same here
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimation2Value
animationName = dockingring
moduleName = ModuleHeatShield
valueName = reflective
valueCurve
{
key = 0 0.25 0 0
key = 0.1 0 0 0
key = 1 -1.5 0 0 // don't leave the shield open.
}
}

@PART[largesolarpanel]
{
@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
{
windResistance = 0.5
}
}

genious! thanks, it works, 0.1 is way to sensible (even the slowest speeds breaks it), i'll try .3 , then .5 to see. I also will need to change it's crash tolerance as well to match it :) this should be added to the mod to make it more challenging. To this should reallly be added wind resistence for other parts to tear a ship apart :) in any case, many thanks.

It is pretty easy but don't have quite the time now to show you . If tomorrow no one else has helped you (Which I tihink is pretty unlikely) I will send you a quick MM file :wink:
a_gun: here's the annotated MM patch...

Thanks guys I'll try this tomorrow. It was the two different ModuleAnimation2Value's that was confusing me mainly, but I'm starting to think I'm just tired lol

genious! thanks, it works, 0.1 is way to sensible (even the slowest speeds breaks it), i'll try .3 , then .5 to see. I also will need to change it's crash tolerance as well to match it :) this should be added to the mod to make it more challenging. To this should reallly be added wind resistence for other parts to tear a ship apart :) in any case, many thanks.

Awesome! Does it properly respect the panel be retracted though? It seems like it should but I don't know how it reacts to being changed. Though for most panels it would probably still be within the realm of reality if they could break when retracted but some of those panels appear to be shielded when closed and should stay that way. ModuleAnimation2Value could come to the rescue for that though. (I'd forgotten about that being in DeadlyReentry)

Hey Nathan,

I'm a little foggy on how I should be setting up my DRE. I have stock kerbal, and have been using a doctored version of DRE where I have the exponent set to 1.12 and have edited some of the parts attributes to keep them alive (its an old version of DRE). Now I'm trying to update everything, but I'm having trouble in doing so.

A note on settings:

1. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want traditional DRE functionality: don't change anything

2. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want realistic levels of heat on reentry (i.e. faking an 8km/sec reentry): set the shockwave exponent and multiplier to taste; I suggest exponent 1.12 to start. You will need heat shields built for RSS.

I want to go for the harder option, or option #2. I get RSS and pull from the install what I think are the parts I need (DRE_ShieldsFix.cfg, 1M_HeatShield.cfg, etc)

But when I try to reenter with a MK1 pod it gets eviscerated. Now im assuming the DRE_ShieldsFix.cfg is suppost to fix the built in shields, am I correct? Does it need to be in a RSS folder because i just threw it into DRE?

As long as those cfgs are somewhere in GameData they should get loaded. You do have ModuleManager in the root of GameData, right? It comes with DRE.

To verify that the fix is working, check the mass of the 2.5m pod heat shield. It should be 1.061 tons, not 1.06 tons.

That said--if your old version of DRE was new enough to have a shockwave exponent, then you can just use your old doctored parts instead. I haven't changed the parts in a while. :)

Editted:

I've still got an issue of the 2.5m heat shield not appearing in the VAB. There's a part's folder for it, which contains a .mu and .cfg file like the other heat shields. However, the other heat shield parts folders contain a pair of png files. The 2.5m heatshield folder has no png files and a .mbm file that's not present in the other heat shield files. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. So if anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be great, thank.

I have this problem as well. As well, the .cfg file is a complete mess for the 2.5m part and has duplicate entries for things like node_stack_top and node_stack_bottom. Was this part unintentionally glitched? No matter what I do to it, it won't show up.

Edited by Jetman123

Yes, it does.

Aknar: can't add to other parts since, err, other parts aren't solar panels with the solar panel module. Note that the part doesn't sheer off, just the solar cells break.

Yeah, the ones that are shielded don't break easily and the others seem to be a bit more fragile but it's still fine.

I was talking about adding it as a modulemanager .cfg file to change the stock parts. I see this mod more as an overhaul for leaving and reentering atmosphere. I know the solar panels have a broken status and animation that any other part doesn't have but implementing a code that also allows parts to detach from each other under air pressure would be cool, and really complete the rest.

Thanks guys I'll try this tomorrow. It was the two different ModuleAnimation2Value's that was confusing me mainly, but I'm starting to think I'm just tired lol

Tried it, done some pretty thorough testing and...can't make it work. :(

I have a simple craft in a 500x20km orbit around Kerbin with the shield at one end and MechJeb keeping the shield in the right place. I have logged the shield temperature at various heights whilst it is open and closed and the results are virtually identical. When closed, the shield detonates at ~1450C (Which is the lower value in the MM cfg) but when open the shield detonates at <1450C (There is no maxtemp lower than this specified anywhere).

I have tried inverting the key values as you suggested but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I also noticed in the part cfg for the shield that the animationName = deployShield rather than dockingring, and changed the field in the ModuleAnimation2Value accordingly, but this also seemed to make no difference.

I am beginning to think there must be something strange about the setup of the part animation that doesn't conform to the standards DR assumes (On a side note I am having similar troubles trying to integrate TweakableEverything functionality)

Any more ideas..?

EDIT:

Oh and the MM patch is definately being applied becuase the shield says it has a heatshield module in the editor.

Edited by a__gun

On a hunch just tried a very similar test but with the stock 1.25m shielded docking port and the results were the same: shield closed it burns up at approximately 1450C and shield closed it burns up only slightly below this. I'm either doing something very wrong or this is working as it should.

EDIT:

Scratch that, when the stock port is open it gets to 1400C then imediately shoots up to ~1700C and burns

Edited by a__gun

I think your problem is you're too steep. 500x20?

That doesn't sound survivable. ... What you can try though is pitching your nose up a bit. That will drop your drag a bit and increase lift. Use MJs SmartASS module. Use the Surface subsection with settings of:

I think your problem is you're too steep. 500x20?...

Thanks but I know that's not survivable. I'm just putting myself into a descent where I know I will hit the max temp, so that I can compare at which point I burn up when the shield is open and closed. There should be a difference but it doesn;t seem to be behaving as it should.

Jemtan123, Boomerang: are you playing career or sandbox? Did you install _exactly_ as specified in the readme, not changing directory names or anything?

The 2.5m shield has an mbm rather than PNGs because...that's the way nhnifong decided to export textures. And it does not have duplicate top and bottom nodes, it has a pair commented out as well as the actual pair.

Given that it is the only shield that uses a MODEL node, it will be the only shield affected by your not installing DRE in the right folder. So that's my guess as to what's going on: you renamed the DRE folder you extracted, or placed it inside another folder, or used that part sorting app that changes folder names, or something.

Aknar: the cased/uncased distinction for solar panels shouldn't (AIUI) affect when the break if you specify windResistance.

I've considered adding RT2's "MaxQ" functionality, yes.

a__gun: Maybe the way generic animations are handled has changed? For now you can just remove the two Animation2Value modules from your patch.

Hello everyone. I am new to the Deadly Reentry mod and I ran into a problem with it. I hope someone can help me out. What is happening is, intermittently, when I go to launch a rocket, as soon as the physics take effect on the pad, before I can even start up the engines, parts on my rocket will just explode due to overheating. Usually its the parachutes or antennas, with a max temperature of 1200 or so. I am trying to play with the Remote Tech2 mod, so not having a functional antenna is a bit of a problem. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Maybe have a fix for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Done more testing and found my earlier conclusions were wrong...woops.

The Animation2Value modules are working - I can scale the maxTemp value according to the animation absolutely fine. It does not, however, seem to work with on the reflective value. I have tried setting reflective to change ridiculously based on open state (0.9 when closed and 0 when open) whilst maintaining the same maxTemp in both states to emphasise any effect, but the result is that there isn't one; the part accumulates heat at the same rate in both states, and explodes at the same point.

I'm about to try the same test with the stock shielded port and will let you know my findings.

EDIT:

Yup same with the stock 1.25m shielded clamp-o-tron. Same rate of heating regardless of shield position. Would seem rate of reflection isn't something that can be updated on the fly

Edited by a__gun
Additional testing

Done more testing and found my earlier conclusions were wrong...woops.

The Animation2Value modules are working - I can scale the maxTemp value according to the animation absolutely fine. It does not, however, seem to work with on the reflective value. I have tried setting reflective to change ridiculously based on open state (0.9 when closed and 0 when open) whilst maintaining the same maxTemp in both states to emphasise any effect, but the result is that there isn't one; the part accumulates heat at the same rate in both states, and explodes at the same point.

I'm about to try the same test with the stock shielded port and will let you know my findings.

EDIT:

Yup same with the stock 1.25m shielded clamp-o-tron. Same rate of heating regardless of shield position. Would seem rate of reflection isn't something that can be updated on the fly

Is it possible that two animation2value modules on one part are a problem? Maybe try it without the one that changes maxtemp just to test that notion?

Is it possible that two animation2value modules on one part are a problem? Maybe try it without the one that changes maxtemp just to test that notion?

I have done that already. Keeping the maxTemp constant is the only way to accurately test the effect of the reflective stat really