[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Is there a way to "refill" the heatshields or repair them so they can be reused?

Edit: Found out that you can if you change "transfer = NONE" to "transfer = PUMP" in DeadlyReentry.cfg.

Edited by Albert VDS

Is there a way to "refill" the heatshields or repair them so they can be reused?

Edit: Found out that you can if you change "transfer = NONE" to "transfer = PUMP" in DeadlyReentry.cfg.

Hurray, nanobot repair systems :P

I thought this was in reference to a stack chute. Oops.

I'll do that.

It is. Well, part of it is, the radial chutes were problem too, but the SDHI docking port/chute combo is also getting destroyed.

Couple of things i'd like to point out. I really enjoy this mod. First time it came out i found it too hard to use though and stock parts didn't play too nice with it. When i installed this one i found the opposite. I was testing 300km almost vertical falls in my sandbox and kerbals were only killed by G-forces. The craft would survive in great part. It kinda sucked when i wanted to destroy probes or stations on the atmosphere and i couldn't.

I found a bit confusing the directions to up the difficulty. It points to RO but it doesn't say what to get there. Later on on page 126 the OP said the heatshields cfgs. However, on page 125 Starwaster releases a code which he calls a "blanket solution". I do believe this solution to be better. I may be wrong here, i've never coded anything for games or anything on unity for that matter so take this with the proverbial grain of salt. From what i've seen the code Starwasher published seems to address all parts with ModuleHeatShield, which includes both shields and B9 parts (and stock obviously). Were one to get only the shields cfg files, one would not have the B9 and stock parts configured for a higher challenge, only the heatshields, which would make it only effective for rocket missions.

I'd also recommend to highlight page 50, where FlowerChild proposes a solution that makes the game harder, but not so hard that the stock parts become unbalanced for it, if i understood correctly. I spent a lot of hours digging through this post to understand how to up the difficulty correctly without posting dumb questions and honestly i'd find it easier if the above information was accessible. I suggest posting it on the OP: FlowerChild's post, Starwaster's post and the explanation of what to get from RO. I understand that somewhere in pages 1-50 you said you were gonna patch it up sometime soon, meanwhile posting those on the OP could do just fine.

I'd like to suggest tweakable heat shielding at the expense of higher mass using the new tweaks menu on all parts (or most of them). This because we all know how we use small fuel tanks as a support for air intakes or side engines on space planes sometimes and these do not have shielding. Now a real world application would include shielding in those parts. Again i have no idea how feasible this actually is.

Hope my feedback is useful and thanks for your work OP, much appreciated.

Edited by Zidane
Starwaster never washed stars.

It is. Well, part of it is, the radial chutes were problem too, but the SDHI docking port/chute combo is also getting destroyed.

I checked those out and I can't find a problem with them. Checked both ports (stock/chute combo and IACBM/chute combo). Both show up as shielded and survived the reentry. Could not reproduce.

Couple of things i'd like to point out. I really enjoy this mod. First time it came out i found it too hard to use though and stock parts didn't play too nice with it. When i installed this one i found the opposite. I was testing 300km almost vertical falls in my sandbox and kerbals were only killed by G-forces. The craft would survive in great part. It kinda sucked when i wanted to destroy probes or stations on the atmosphere and i couldn't.

I found a bit confusing the directions to up the difficulty. It points to RO but it doesn't say what to get there. Later on on page 126 the OP said the heatshields cfgs. However, on page 125 Starwasher releases a code which he calls a "blanket solution". I do believe this solution to be better. I may be wrong here, i've never coded anything for games or anything on unity for that matter so take this with the proverbial grain of salt. From what i've seen the code Starwasher published seems to address all parts with ModuleHeatShield, which includes both shields and B9 parts (and stock obviously). Were one to get only the shields cfg files, one would not have the B9 and stock parts configured for a higher challenge, only the heatshields, which would make it only effective for rocket missions.

I'd also recommend to highlight page 50, where FlowerChild proposes a solution that makes the game harder, but not so hard that the stock parts become unbalanced for it, if i understood correctly. I spent a lot of hours digging through this post to understand how to up the difficulty correctly without posting dumb questions and honestly i'd find it easier if the above information was accessible. I suggest posting it on the OP: FlowerChild's post, StarWasher's post and the explanation of what to get from RO. I understand that somewhere in pages 1-50 you said you were gonna patch it up sometime soon, meanwhile posting those on the OP could do just fine.

I'd like to suggest tweakable heat shielding at the expense of higher mass using the new tweaks menu on all parts (or most of them). This because we all know how we use small fuel tanks as a support for air intakes or side engines on space planes sometimes and these do not have shielding. Now a real world application would include shielding in those parts. Again i have no idea how feasible this actually is.

Hope my feedback is useful and thanks for your work OP, much appreciated.

Ok, firstly, please let the record show that I have never 'washed' a star. Especially not ever.

Secondly, just to clarify, what I posted on page 125 doesn't increase difficulty, it provides tougher heat shields if you are playing with increased difficulty. You have to have already increased the difficulty.

And the way you do that is by either:

• Going into the DeadlyReentry folder (<KSP Folder>\GameData\DeadlyReentry) and editing the custom.cfg file. Find the line that says @shockwaveExponent = 1 and change the 1 to 1.12
  • While playing DREC press Alt+D+R and DREC's debug menu appears. Find Shockwave Exponent and change the 1 to 1.12. Click save. Close the DREC menu.

Then you go download the RO files (keeping only the heat shield files if you don't want the rest) or use the solution I posted. IIRC, the problem with the solution I posted is that it applies the same amount of heat reduction to all affected parts regardless of their size so some parts might get too much protection.

Edited by Starwaster

First, thanks for maintaining this mod, Nathan :)

I wanted to report a little problem, that I've found while messing around with configs. Basically, in the Animation2Value module, you can specify the target module of the variable that you want to change, however in DRC config for the shielded port the name of the field seems to be wrong. You should change them from this:

{
name = ModuleAnimation2Value
animationName = dockingring
moduleName = ModuleHeatShield //this...
valueName = reflective
valueCurve
{
key = 0 0.25 0 0
key = 0.1 0 0 0
key = 1 -1.5 0 0 // don't leave the shield open.
}
}
	MODULE

to

{
animationName = dockingring
valueModule = ModuleHeatShield //needs to be like this to work
valueName = reflective
valueCurve
{
key = 0 0.25 0 0
key = 0.1 0 0 0
key = 1 -1.5 0 0 // don't leave the shield open.
}
}
	MODULE

Also, in the inflatable shield config there is an animation curve inside the HeatShield module, which doesn't seem to do anything at all (even after peeking at the source code on GitHub). You can probably remove it and mimic it's intended effect with an animation2value module like this:

{
animationName = heatshield
valueModule = ModuleHeatShield
valueName = reflective
valueCurve
{
key = 0 0.02 //not negative because the shield is there, just smaller
key = 0.8 0.1
key = 1 0.25 //full reflection
}
}
	MODULE

Hope this help. If someone wants to use it now without touching the files I can make a MM tweak, feel free to ask.

Edited by Sage
clarity

I've got a problem guys..... I don't know if you've fixed it, but I want to know what I should do to fix it...

Whenever I load up your mod (and it gets this simple) your mod and your mod ALONE causes my game to lag to below 1fps. It literally makes the craft unplayable, especially being a person who makes large crafts which lags the game slightly as is.... So please what must I do to KILL THIS LAG?? I've wanted to play with this mod for a long time, but I can't due to this major problem...

i felt that DR is too easy, judging from heatshields performance on kerbin orbit, so i changed shockwawe exponent to 1.12 as suggested in op post.

well, reentry to eve atmosphere is quite impossible, at least from interplanetary trajectory. after about 30 seconds heatshield just explodes after reaching 1500 c.

Well yes: as the OP says, if you up the exponent like that, you also need different heatshields.

EDIT: Ok, I really now believe I'm not stating things clearly enough in the OP. People who've been using this mod for a while and get the various options, what are your suggestions for clarifying the OP?

Well yes: as the OP says, if you up the exponent like that, you also need different heatshields.

EDIT: Ok, I really now believe I'm not stating things clearly enough in the OP. People who've been using this mod for a while and get the various options, what are your suggestions for clarifying the OP?

I had a couple suggestions in case you missed, check post #1281, the huge post on page 129.

Um...so...what exactly do these values in the config do?

name = Default
shockwaveMultiplier = 1.0
shockwaveExponent = 1.0
heatMultiplier = 25
temperatureExponent = 1.03
densityExponent = 0.85
startThermal = 750
fullThermal = 1150
gToleranceMult = 3.0

I want to turn down some of the settings so I can push an SSTO a bit faster in atmo (the heating effects starting just above Mach 2 and being pretty extreme is just a little silly), but I'm not sure what to change. None of that seems to be commented or documented (unless it is in some post buried in this thread O.o ).

I saw in one of the replies earlier on that the exploding parts on the launchpad bug was fixed but it is not for me and I just redownloaded the mod. Also, no matter how shallow I try to make the reentry even at LKO speeds I overheat and explode very quickly as I descend into the middle layer of Kerbin's atmosphere. I have been able to successfully get down before with steeper trajectories and I can't figure out why it is not working. Can some one please help me?

I saw in one of the replies earlier on that the exploding parts on the launchpad bug was fixed but it is not for me and I just redownloaded the mod. Also, no matter how shallow I try to make the reentry even at LKO speeds I overheat and explode very quickly as I descend into the middle layer of Kerbin's atmosphere. I have been able to successfully get down before with steeper trajectories and I can't figure out why it is not working. Can some one please help me?

By definition, burning up on reentry doesn't sound like the launchpad bug to me...

Did you change anything in the config file such as shockwave exponent / multiplier? (especially if you upped the difficulty, you need RSS compatible heat shields)

Or start playing with RSS and not use RSS heat shields?

I have not touched the configs. Also my parachutes explode often when the launchpad loads and most everything has an overheat bar on it. Then at the same time I am still having trouble getting down with out burning up when I am coming in at very shallow angles.