[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

ZilgornZeypher: go to the research center, select the base node, and click on the heatshield. You need to "purchase" it.

I know I have done that repeatedly but it dosn't stay purchased when I go back to the hangar.

I click on the part I purcase it hit confirm shows that it's purchased then when I go back to hangar it shows I need to purchase it again. When I go back to the R&D it shows and unpurchased again......

:mad::confused:

k

I know I have done that repeatedly but it dosn't stay purchased when I go back to the hangar.

I click on the part I purcase it hit confirm shows that it's purchased then when I go back to hangar it shows I need to purchase it again. When I go back to the R&D it shows and unpurchased again......

:mad::confused:

Sounds like you might have duplicate parts.

His save file could also be corrupted with duplicate tech entries independent of the presence of duplicate parts.

He should try reproducing the error on a clean install.

Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem with deadly reentry in combination with Ferram Aerospace.

My problem is that during reentry I'm barely decelerating at all when both mods are active. I have a regular 20 km periapsis from low kerbal orbit (about 120 km), and if I dont burn up on my way down I'll hit the ground with about 600 m/s of Velocity still remaining.

What the hell is the problem here? And why does Deadly Reentry affect the deceleration at all anyway?

Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem with deadly reentry in combination with Ferram Aerospace.

My problem is that during reentry I'm barely decelerating at all when both mods are active. I have a regular 20 km periapsis from low kerbal orbit (about 120 km), and if I dont burn up on my way down I'll hit the ground with about 600 m/s of Velocity still remaining.

What the hell is the problem here? And why does Deadly Reentry affect the deceleration at all anyway?

I assume that you have a heat shield and you're entering shield-first. Check the FAR isShielded flag on the heat shield (in its context menu; you may have to enable it from FAR's toolbar button in the Space Center if you're running FAR 0.13.2 or higher). If it's "True", FAR has determined that the shield is inside a fairing or cargo bay and isn't producing drag.

When I had a craft where this happened, I solved it by adding a 6S service compartment between the heat shield and the fairing base.

If that's not it, we'll need more information. What versions of KSP, FAR, DRE, and ModuleManager are installed?

barring bugs, DREC doesnt affect decelleration at all. why the hell didnt you include an output_log.txt file with your complaint? why the hell do you even have to come in here brandishing the words 'the hell' at all? and why the hell do you think 600m/s is 'barely decellerating'. 600 down from.... what is orbital velocity for stock Kerbin at 120km 4 km/s? Ish? Cant check right now as my computer is broken but you clearly DID decellerate and by quite a bit. Just not as much as you wanted. Maybe you should provide information about your reentering craft too so someone can check and see if anything changed on the part that might affect FAR drag.

barring bugs, DREC doesnt affect decelleration at all. why the hell didnt you include an output_log.txt file with your complaint? why the hell do you even have to come in here brandishing the words 'the hell' at all?

Calm down, I didnt intent to insult anyone here, and I wasnt pissed or anything while posting it. If you took it that way then I'd like to apologize, it wasnt meant to be that way.

and why the hell do you think 600m/s is 'barely decellerating'. 600 down from.... what is orbital velocity for stock Kerbin at 120km 4 km/s? Ish? Cant check right now as my computer is broken but you clearly DID decellerate and by quite a bit. Just not as much as you wanted. Maybe you should provide information about your reentering craft too so someone can check and see if anything changed on the part that might affect FAR drag.

120 km is just about 2 km/s (~2.3 km/s when reaching the edge of the atmosphere), and kerbins atmosphere is thick enough even with FAR for a craft to slow down to sub mach 1.

Anyway I've just found the problem, appearently the heat shield was half way inside my capsule, that somehow caused the problem... However it wasn't listed as shielded by FAR, however your information did help me find the actual problem, which was just my own stupid failure, sorry for that.

Guys please try to keep it civil, Flyfunner has two posts to his name so can be given a bit of leeway as he's new here, Starwaster please keep that in mind.

Oh and Flyfunner, thanks for this:

If you took it that way then I'd like to apologize, it wasnt meant to be that way.

But do please take a little more care with your posts so as to avoid any problems :)

Guys please try to keep it civil, Flyfunner has two posts to his name so can be given a bit of leeway as he's new here, Starwaster please keep that in mind.

Oh and Flyfunner, thanks for this:

But do please take a little more care with your posts so as to avoid any problems :)

Sorry, I guess I had one or two posts too many get to me with some... 'colorful' language. To put it nicely.

Anyway I've just found the problem, appearently the heat shield was half way inside my capsule, that somehow caused the problem... However it wasn't listed as shielded by FAR, however your information did help me find the actual problem, which was just my own stupid failure, sorry for that.

Easy to do with any small, flat part. When the nodes are so close together, it will let you snap to the wrong one. At which point FAR thinks both the capsule and the heat shield are trailing because both parts' leading nodes are connected, and you end up with a "Rod from God"-level ballistic coefficient.

If you weren't running DRE, you could probably generate the same unrealistically-low drag by clipping one of KW Rocketry's slimline decouplers into the capsule the same way.

Edited by undercoveryankee

Did the heating model change somehow in the last few updates? I'm playing on stock Kerbin, and reentry profiles that worked previously now result in burning up every time. A shallow descent from 100km to 40km results in the craft getting destroyed. It seems like heat is increasing much more quickly during reentry than it did in the past. I've checked the config values to ensure that they are at their defaults and can't see any changes in them. Here is a link to my config file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/agu2b77xhhiybis/DeadlyReentry.cfg

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give!

Edited by 15nelsoc

Did the heating model change somehow in the last few updates? I'm playing on stock Kerbin, and reentry profiles that worked previously now result in burning up every time. A shallow descent from 100km to 40km results in the craft getting destroyed. It seems like heat is increasing much more quickly during reentry than it did in the past. I've checked the config values to ensure that they are at their defaults and can't see any changes in them. Here is a link to my config file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/agu2b77xhhiybis/DeadlyReentry.cfg

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give!

they look ok but there's a second config file that can be created. if you made any changes via the mod's ingame menu then there's a config file that overrides DeadlyReentry.cfg

I think it's called custom.cfg so that's the one you really need to watch for.

they look ok but there's a second config file that can be created. if you made any changes via the mod's ingame menu then there's a config file that overrides DeadlyReentry.cfg

I think it's called custom.cfg so that's the one you really need to watch for.

I just checked and there was no custom.cfg in my DR folder. I also checked to make sure it just wasn't an issue with one specific heatshield and found the same results with all of them. I'll start a new save file and check to make sure there isn't some kind of corruption within my current one that could be causing the excess heating. I'll get back to you all with my results in a couple of hours. Also are there any mods already known to cause issus with DR, perhaps ones that inadvertently affect the heat model?

What got fixed was a longstanding issue with heat shields and their loss rates and dissipation curves. Prior to this, because the tangents of the curve weren't specified, dissipation and loss rate would increase past the design limits of the shield. Now they don't, so you do have to be somewhat more careful.

What got fixed was a longstanding issue with heat shields and their loss rates and dissipation curves. Prior to this, because the tangents of the curve weren't specified, dissipation and loss rate would increase past the design limits of the shield. Now they don't, so you do have to be somewhat more careful.

So there was no clamping? That goes contrary to just about everything I read about animation curves. The way people made it seem, you had to jump through hoops to get non-clamping curves.

So do you think this is maybe also why shield resources would continue to deplete after the shock temp decreased below the lower limit? If it extrapolated one end, was it doing it at the other end as well?

I went back through and tested in several new saves, and even ran a fresh copy of the game with DR as the only mod. For some reason, every time I get 27764 metres the heatshield explodes no matter the descent angle. I tried a descent from 71 km to 55 km (about as shallow as it could be) and I still exploded in the same place. I don't have a clue what might be causing it?

I went back through and tested in several new saves, and even ran a fresh copy of the game with DR as the only mod. For some reason, every time I get 27764 metres the heatshield explodes no matter the descent angle. I tried a descent from 71 km to 55 km (about as shallow as it could be) and I still exploded in the same place. I don't have a clue what might be causing it?

if I can make my computer function again I'll try to repro or give you a workable reentry solution but I havent even seen a Kerbal in three days now :(

No, dont even bother trying to contain your tears at the sad sad tale of Starwaster's Computer ;.;

15nelsoc what craft, what mods? I'll try to repro (I guess by creating a non-RSS install)...

Do you mind if I get back to you tomorrow? I have to get up fairly early in the morning and need some rest. Sorry too inconvenience you with my problem as well; I know you have a lot of work on your plate.