[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Supernova already hit my mind, it's just too... bland. I want something that fits its looks and conveys the amount of damage to the space center following the launch, including the transformation of the launchpad into a crater.

I'm tempted to just go with Gargantua and call it a day.

Fu, f,ffff.fff.f.f....fff..f.f. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Holy Bajeezus that is HUGE! That's bigger than huge, that is just, I don't, I don't even know HOW to classify the gargantuan of gargantuan size of that. Where are you planning on going? Alpha Centauri and back!?

As for the name, how about Eotena? (Old English for Titan.) Or what about Kaiju? (Japanese for monster, IIRC.) Slonov? (Russian for elephant.)

5000 tons to orbit... I recently saw a thread with a 400 tons to orbit rocket and was impressed, but this is too much. For the people who don't realize how much that is, this thing could carry around 1.8 Saturn Vs to orbit.

As for the name, I'd say go with "Tiny". And Ferram, I think you should go ahead and PM Whackjob with this.

Is there a mod anywhere that scales up the power of the stock parts for this without having to install the realism mod (and messing up the sizes so they dont fit together any more)? I love the look of this mod, but hate being forced to use mod parts... half the game is designing your own craft, not just clipping together a 4 part replica.

Is there a mod anywhere that scales up the power of the stock parts for this without having to install the realism mod (and messing up the sizes so they dont fit together any more)? I love the look of this mod, but hate being forced to use mod parts... half the game is designing your own craft, not just clipping together a 4 part replica.

Do what I've done with 6.4:1 Kerbin: install RSS, Real Fuels, an engine pack (pretty sure I'm using the stock ROV engine pack), and StretchySRB. You don't have to go the full resize route but you do want your fuel tanks to be modeled in a realistic way as far as mass is concerned. On 6.4:1 Kerbin I'm getting a payload fraction of around 10% with the listed mods, which satisfies my desire for a more stock-like "game-ey" experience alongside a far more realistic looking solar system.

Edited by regex
terrible English

Riddle me this: What do you name a rocket that fills the VAB with its boosters and first stage, creates 1.6 GN of thrust at launch, outweighs a Nimitz-class carrier, and lifts 5000 tonnes to orbit?

The I would not want to pay that fuel bill :P I like that it actually manages to look somewhat like a rocket, instead of those messy village type big rockets you normally see.

I would call it Big, Because It's Great/Gargantuan/Gianormous.

Edited by Camacha

Thanks... but not really what I'm after. Installing an engine pack and stretchy tanks isn't using stock parts. I have to say of all the mods stretchy tanks is my least favourite... i don't like the way they look.

Also... what is 6.4:1 Kerbin?

Thanks anyway for the tip, but for now the better option seems to use the parts I want with smaller planets.

...unless there something I can edit in the config of this mod to get it to give me powerful stock parts without messing with the sizes so I don't have to use SSRB?

Also... what is 6.4:1 Kerbin?

It's an RSS config I made to upscale the Kerbin system to match the 64% scale of the parts. You can get it from the link in my signature.

...unless there something I can edit in the config of this mod to get it to give me powerful stock parts without messing with the sizes so I don't have to use SSRB?

An engine pack from ROV just modifies engines; you can still use the stock ones if you want (I still have them all installed). IIRC, Real Fuels should change the tanks appropriately enough to launch on an RSS install, but I ditched them all after getting StretchySRB, so I couldn't tell you.

It's an RSS config I made to upscale the Kerbin system to match the 64% scale of the parts. You can get it from the link in my signature.

An engine pack from ROV just modifies engines; you can still use the stock ones if you want (I still have them all installed). IIRC, Real Fuels should change the tanks appropriately enough to launch on an RSS install, but I ditched them all after getting StretchySRB, so I couldn't tell you.

Ahh lol, should have looked at your sig :) I'll play around and see what I can come up with!

Ok so the whole solar system is the stock Kerbol system just larger to match RSS scales???

Mulbin: RF and stockalike engine configs should be what you want, and regex is right that his 6.4x scale cfg should be right for you....

I've been meaning to ask if you wouldn't mind adding the link to the OP, but I know you've been pretty busy in RL. Hope you're doing well, BTW. :)

1. Is it possible to make the sun white? It looks really odd from orbit and surface since it's so obviously yellow. I remember seeing a thread about this at some point.

2. Could PlanetFactory CE be used to add the remainder of planets to this mod? This would make it a requirement, but it would be nice to have all of them, IIRC most of the planets' properties can be used from Space Engine.

1. Is it possible to make the sun white? It looks really odd from orbit and surface since it's so obviously yellow. I remember seeing a thread about this at some point.

2. Could PlanetFactory CE be used to add the remainder of planets to this mod? This would make it a requirement, but it would be nice to have all of them, IIRC most of the planets' properties can be used from Space Engine.

Funnily enough, there are a couple of configs in the RO thread that convert the standard PF setup from Krag into the real positions sizes and other whatnots. (Colour, etc. But that requires Universe replacer as well.)

So, how do you folks line up interplanetary trips? The online "interactive illustrated interplanetary calculator" does the stock KSP solar system, not the RSS. I can calculate the phase angle to launch at, the delta v of the ejection from Earth SOI and the angle from Earth prograde to do the burn (yup, I'm a physics geek...). But then what? Use a protractor slapped onto the screen to measure the angles? Seems a bit primitive... Or do you folks go on to calculate *when* the right phase angle will occur and what longitude you need to be over when starting the burn using epochs and all that good stuff?

So, how do you folks line up interplanetary trips? The online "interactive illustrated interplanetary calculator" does the stock KSP solar system, not the RSS. I can calculate the phase angle to launch at, the delta v of the ejection from Earth SOI and the angle from Earth prograde to do the burn (yup, I'm a physics geek...). But then what? Use a protractor slapped onto the screen to measure the angles? Seems a bit primitive... Or do you folks go on to calculate *when* the right phase angle will occur and what longitude you need to be over when starting the burn using epochs and all that good stuff?

Use this by AbeS a few posts back. Although figuring out when the correct phase angle occurs is trivial when you know the orbital periods and starting positions.

Funnily enough, there are a couple of configs in the RO thread that convert the standard PF setup from Krag into the real positions sizes and other whatnots. (Colour, etc. But that requires Universe replacer as well.)

Yeah but that doesn't really work with RSS 6.0 and Universe replacer is outdated. If the planets would be made in PF then the surface would also be correctly colored, instead of changing the texture you see from orbit.

Yeah but that doesn't really work with RSS 6.0 and Universe replacer is outdated. If the planets would be made in PF then the surface would also be correctly colored, instead of changing the texture you see from orbit.

Just because UR is outdated doesn't mean it doesn't work. It just means it hasn't had to be updated. I should know, I am using it on a 0.23 install for RO, using the Planet Factory planets too. It also changes the texture and terrain you see on the ground IIRC, and that is how NathanKell changed Kerbin into Earth. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Mulbin: RF and stockalike engine configs should be what you want, and regex is right that his 6.4x scale cfg should be right for you....

Sorry, still not clear what i need to do... what is "Stockalike Engine Config" and where do I get it? Is it a config for the real fuels addon? Or do I need to install realism overhaul with this config file?... I'm assuming that I don't install realism overhaul at all, just RF, 6.4:1 and RSS?

Sorry for all the questions!

EDIT - Ahh... do you mean "Stock" engine configs updated by Chestburster?

OK... I think I've installed everything you said I reed for what I want but it hasn't really worked. Ships that could get to the moon now cant even get to orbit.

I might not have explained myself very well...

Say I have a stock ship that has enough DV to get into orbit on the stock game.

Is there a way to make it so this same ship now has enough DV to get into orbit on RSS?

Edited by Mulbin