[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

At this point, I would be moving everything out of my gamedata folder except RSS, squad, and nasamission, and then starting the game over and over, slowly moving things back until I found what went wrong, but I also have KSP on an SSD, so startup is fast and that process would be bearable. That being said, if you don't want to do that full blown test, try moving everything except those three folders out and launch the game. If it works, its something in your mods, if it doesn't something is going wrong with RSS which would need more troubleshooting.

Hmm, funny, I think, that the problem is, where I waited it to be the least. As soon, as I but the Squad folder into the Gamedata folder, stuff starts happening. When the opening screen starts, Earth has the Kerbin texture and once I go into the game, I can only see the sun, but there is no VAB or anything like that, I could go to. I say, that the Squad folder doesn't like something in my gamedata folder. Or the other way around...Should I carry this conversation over to some other thread?

Hmm, funny, I think, that the problem is, where I waited it to be the least. As soon, as I but the Squad folder into the Gamedata folder, stuff starts happening. When the opening screen starts, Earth has the Kerbin texture and once I go into the game, I can only see the sun, but there is no VAB or anything like that, I could go to. I say, that the Squad folder doesn't like something in my gamedata folder. Or the other way around...Should I carry this conversation over to some other thread?

I don't know what to think at this point. I had the same problem you did but I had tampered with my config file by removing the references to Earth textures. I thought the effect of KSC being in the ground was a natural consequence so I removed PQSCity from kerbin and KSC moved back to where it was supposed to be. I have no idea why you're having these other weird issues now.

I don't know what to think at this point. I had the same problem you did but I had tampered with my config file by removing the references to Earth textures. I thought the effect of KSC being in the ground was a natural consequence so I removed PQSCity from kerbin and KSC moved back to where it was supposed to be. I have no idea why you're having these other weird issues now.

This sounds to me a lot more like a corrupt install now than anything to do with a mod. Somewhere along the lines, the contents of the squad folder have been changed somehow. If this is a fresh install already, I'd re-download the game from the website. If not, I'd try a fresh install and then add everything back in to see if that fixes your issue.

I might have a similar issue as BadRocketsCo and I noticed people in the past have had the same issue but as far as I can tell they never solved it and just stopped asking.

Every time I install RSS KSC ends up underground and the planets further out than Kerbin have tiny orbits and are on the original axis. Also, Kerbin still uses it's original texture. I've reinstalled the mod several times and the game as well. The only things in my GameData folder are: RealSolarSystem, NASAmission, Squad, and ModuleManager.2.0.7.dll.

3zrlDCL.png

Folks, I need to see the output_log.txt (or, on linux/Mac, player.log), as otherwise the only thing I get from you is "it doesn't work, please fix!". With the log, I can tell you what it is that's not working (well, probably).

That said, I *can* tell you that if RSS appears "half done" when you load your save that's because it is--it clearly errored out halfway through. The log will tell me where. As a quick fix, try nuking the RSS folder, and installing fresh from the download in the OP.

========

For folks using Mission Controller, here is a patch designed to give fuels their real cost. When I designed the cost system I (roughly) assumed a "k" was $1000US; in this patch fuels have their 1960 cost; engine costs should also be quite close (engine costs dominate stage costs; I was unable to find costs for engines, but I seem to be able to model the cost of stages decently).

So...if folks do use MCE, please try out the patch and see how the costs go (whether rocket costs, and in particular the sub-categories, match 1960 costs). I plan to include it in the next RO (so stick the file in the RO folder).

Looking at how the solar system loaded, the config file likely misses a bracket somewhere before Kerbin PQS. It loaded Mercury and Eve fine but stops right before Kerbin PQS. We'll still need the log though.

Actually the omission would be somewhere in or after the Kerbin PQS. The system works in a very linear fashion, applying each line in sequence until its done or one fails. The image clearly shows Kerbin in the right place, so the failure is somewhere after the orbit brackets. I agree that we need to see the output_log.txt, but I would also ask if you've made any changes to the cfg on your own. If you have, then this is most likely the source of the issue.

I see... I didn't know there was an output log like this. It seems that it was trying to load a file in a different directory. I have a copy of the game I wanted to use for the Realism Overhaul and named the directory "Kerbal Space Program RSS" and the output_log.txt says it was looking for "EarthHeight.png" in the non changed folder "Kerbal Space Program/Game Data/..." which does not have RSS installed. Does module manager require the game be installed in a folder named "Kerbal Space Program" or is it the game or RSS?

IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "H:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RealSolarSystem\Plugins\PluginData\EarthHeight.png".

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealSolarSystem.RealSolarSystem.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I've narrowed down the problem. I have two copies of the game: H:\Kerbal Space Program\... which is my normal copy and H:\Kerbal Space Program RSS\... which I want to use RSS on.

When I run the RSS version from the shortcut I made on my desktop it searches for the EarthHeight.png file in the normal copy's folder. If I rename the normal copy's folder to something other than "Kerbal Space Program" It searches for the EarthHeight.png in "...\Desktop\GameData\..." which does not exists, it's just where my shortcut is. If I launch KSP directly from the RSS folder everything loads fine.

All my shortcut is: "H:\Kerbal Space Program RSS\KSP.exe" -popupwindow

Any ideas which thing causes this behavior? RSS, KSP, or module manager are the only things in this install.

So here's the first version of my planet replacement pack:

Real Solar System Planet Replacement Pack v1

Alternate resolution maps

And because pictures....

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The release zip file contains the following:

-8192x4096 height maps for Venus, the Moon, and Mars

-4096x2048 height map for Mercury

-4096x2048 color maps for Mercury, the Moon, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn

-2048x1024 color map for Venus

-Sampled color for Uranus from NASA imagery

-2048x1024 normal maps for Mercury, the Moon, and Mars

-Flat normal map for other planets to wipe out any stock terrain breaking immersion

Installation: Simply download RSS_Planet_Replacements_vX.zip and merge the contained GameData folder with yours, overwriting as needed.

If you have extra memory available and want higher resolution, or maybe not enough memory and need lower resolution, or just want higher detail for the planet you're going to be visiting for the next few missions, the folders linked along with the release zip contain higher and lower resolution versions of most files (some like Venus don't have higher resolution versions), simply download the color, height, or normal of the desired resolution and drop them into your GameData\RealSolarSystem\Plugins\PluginData folder, overwriting as necessary.

Some notes:

-I've turned off voronoi craters for the Moon, this is mostly because none of the craters it generates exist, and they are often in bad places i.e. the Apollo 11 landing site would be sitting at the bottom of a crater instead of on the flat Mare Tranquillitatis.

-The surface elevations for Mercury have been doubled to allow for more interesting terrain. This is something that may be revisited in a future release if I'm ever able to improve the ability to pull elevation data from photographs, or if I ever get the time and skill to do it manually.

-The Mars image I am using suffers from high amounts of glare on certain faces, I am currently trying to find a way to tone down the glare from the sun without compromising the rest of the image.

-Somehow I'm going to get rid of the greenish atmosphere for Jupiter and the purplish atmosphere for Venus.

-Currently Uranus is just a flat color sample, I plan on expanding this slightly to give the impression of clouds, though at most only a hint.

What's next:

Most likely the moons of Jupiter will be my next target. I have good, or at least decent (i.e. not super blurry), surface maps for Io, Europa, Callisto, and Ganymede, so it will only be a matter of time before I'm able to create some sort of height map for them and get them into the game. Also, we will be getting access to a better PQS loader in the not too distant future, so once this becomes a part of the DLL, I will be going back and revisiting each planet I've already done to create a more realistic and less blocky terrain.

Edited by SpacedInvader

So here's the first version of my planet replacement pack:

Real Solar System Planet Replacement Pack v1

Alternate resolution maps

And because pictures....

http://imgur.com/a/OeQj4

The release zip file contains the following:

-8192x4096 height maps for Venus, the Moon, and Mars

-4096x2048 height map for Mercury

-4096x2048 color maps for Mercury, the Moon, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn

-2048x1024 color map for Venus

-Sampled color for Uranus from NASA imagery

-2048x1024 normal maps for Mercury, the Moon, and Mars

-Flat normal map for other planets to wipe out any stock terrain breaking immersion

Installation: Simply download RSS_Planet_Replacements_vX.zip and merge the contained GameData folder with yours, overwriting as needed.

If you have extra memory available and want higher resolution, or maybe not enough memory and need lower resolution, or just want higher detail for the planet you're going to be visiting for the next few missions, the folders linked along with the release zip contain higher and lower resolution versions of most files (some like Venus don't have higher resolution versions), simply download the color, height, or normal of the desired resolution and drop them into your GameData\RealSolarSystem\Plugins\PluginData folder, overwriting as necessary.

Some notes:

-I've turned off voronoi craters for the Moon, this is mostly because none of the craters it generates exist, and they are often in bad places i.e. the Apollo 11 landing site would be sitting at the bottom of a crater instead of on the flat Mare Tranquillitatis.

-The surface elevations for Mercury have been doubled to allow for more interesting terrain. This is something that may be revisited in a future release if I'm ever able to improve the ability to pull elevation data from photographs, or if I ever get the time and skill to do it manually.

-The Mars image I am using suffers from high amounts of glare on certain faces, I am currently trying to find a way to tone down the glare from the sun without compromising the rest of the image.

-Somehow I'm going to get rid of the greenish atmosphere for Jupiter and the purplish atmosphere for Venus.

-Currently Uranus is just a flat color sample, I plan on expanding this slightly to give the impression of clouds, though at most only a hint.

What's next:

Most likely the moons of Jupiter will be my next target. I have good, or at least decent (i.e. not super blurry), surface maps for Io, Europa, Callisto, and Ganymede, so it will only be a matter of time before I'm able to create some sort of height map for them and get them into the game. Also, we will be getting access to a better PQS loader in the not too distant future, so once this becomes a part of the DLL, I will be going back and revisiting each planet I've already done to create a more realistic and less blocky terrain.

Oh my gosh :D those look beautful. Now I will play with RSS again ASAP. olny thing that is needed for them now are of course the recoloured atmospheres (maybe even recoloured terrain if that is even possible ,that yellow gorund for Venus looks strange and definetely a dedicated VE config for those.)

Edited by DasBananenbrot
A mass of typos...was still sleepy when I wrote that :D

Oh my hosh :D those look beautful. Now I will play with RSS again ASAP. olny thing that is need for them now are of ocurse the recoloured atmospheres (maybe even recolored terrain if that is even possible ,that yellow gorund for Venus looks strang enad definetely a dedicated VE config for those.

All things that are actually already in the works... My priority was to get something out sooner rather than later so people could go explore instead of have flat ground everywhere they went.

I see... I didn't know there was an output log like this. It seems that it was trying to load a file in a different directory. I have a copy of the game I wanted to use for the Realism Overhaul and named the directory "Kerbal Space Program RSS" and the output_log.txt says it was looking for "EarthHeight.png" in the non changed folder "Kerbal Space Program/Game Data/..." which does not have RSS installed. Does module manager require the game be installed in a folder named "Kerbal Space Program" or is it the game or RSS?

IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "H:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RealSolarSystem\Plugins\PluginData\EarthHeight.png".

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

From just looking at your post, it looks like you have a space where one shouldn't be... Open up your RSS config file and find the line "heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/EarthHeight.png" make sure there are no spaces in any of the folder names there. As for what folder KSP is installed in, it shouldn't matter at all as long as the directory structure within that folder is not tampered with outside of adding mods.

You say it works fine if you launch it from the folder directly, I presume that means just clicking on the .exe. I have multiple copies of KSP and launch them with Steam, no problems (I add the executables manually). I'd say just make a shortcut without any flags, I haven't heard of this issue before.

All things that are actually already in the works... My priority was to get something out sooner rather than later so people could go explore instead of have flat ground everywhere they went.

Yeah I can understand that :D It is nice we can have it already even if it is not finished and your work so far is amazing

Edited by DasBananenbrot

This is why you always install a mod per its instructions, and never, ever rename its folders or extract it differently. Many, many mods depend on being in the exact folder they tell you to install them in.

SpacedInvader: looks good! Here's how you edit atmospheres:

https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/AtmosphereFromGround-RSS-Settings

Edited by NathanKell

From just looking at your post, it looks like you have a space where one shouldn't be... Open up your RSS config file and find the line "heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/EarthHeight.png" make sure there are no spaces in any of the folder names there. As for what folder KSP is installed in, it shouldn't matter at all as long as the directory structure within that folder is not tampered with outside of adding mods.

There is no space there it's just an artifact from the formatting or something. The only thing I have renamed or changed is the game install folder. Like I said, I narrowed it down and know how to make it work now. I was just wondering why it behaves this way when I use a shortcut to launch the game. I assume it's a quirk or something in how System.IO or whatever is getting the parent directory.

Hi Nathan

I just update the 10x kerbal RealSolarSystem.cfg file. Its at the same place as before so all that needs to be done is to update the OP to remove OUTDATED. The current config uses the stock atmosphere properties. At least for now.

I have been looking at how kerbal does it default atmospheric properties and the way RSS does it. The basic model that default KSP does is the barometric/hpsometric equation. The problem with this approach is that it assumes that the temperature is uniform throught the atmosphere which is not the case. Now the behavior of temperature with altitude is not well understood so no true model exist for that which explains why you use pressure tables. Well their is the Schuster-Schwarzschild equation that might work. Because the barometric function assumes a uniform temperature this means that the Lapse rate is zero. Now their is a version of the barometric function that does take into consideration of the changing in temperature by using a nonzero Lapse rate. Here is a nice link http://pds-atmospheres.nmsu.edu/education_and_outreach/encyclopedia/adiabatic_lapse_rate.htm that shows the Lapse rates of other planets in our system. At first I will calculate the pressure by hand and stuff it into a pressure curve table but if it works out I like to ask you if we do the calculation in the RSS mod itself. I will study the temperature change as I increase altitude in the game to create the proper pressure table. I assume you can get the current temperature at any altitude. Is that true? Sorry for this being long.

Hello all. Sorry if this issues have been recurring discussed here, I suppose so, but I haven´t had luck with the search function.

So, I've been playing with RSS since it's first days back at 0.22. I even was one of the firsts to fine tune atmosphere stats and add PF planets to represent saturns and other moons (see post #905). Back at the day however, there wasn´t any launch window planer or spreedsheet available for the best launch date and angles possible so missions beyond Mars were very limited.

After the 0.23 update I stopped playing modded for a while since most of my favorite mods broke down.

Anyway, now after a couple of days setting and customizing all my favorite mods back up (most of the Realism Overhaul pack and my own customized engine settings), I decided it was about that time to do some serious business RSS mission to one of Jupiter of Even Saturn's moon without automation, fuel or hundreds of years of timewarp cheatings. This thanks to the newly developed launch planer to be used with RSS:

http://abrhmsanchez.github.io/ksp/

However, I'm having a hard time using it.

1s) I don´t understand why the planets aren´t aligned to the solar ecliptic plane. What is this weird orientation all about? Back on the 0.22 days, I removed most of the planet inclinations (not of the moons) to make launch less of hassle. It felt a little like cheating but without any launch planner and spreadsheet there was no way we could do a realistic mission with out some sorft of workaround anyway. Now I don´t wan´t to change anything, and neither could I, if i wanted to actually use the launch window planer that I just posted here

2nd) The launch site isn´t on the ecuator anymore and I'm also having a hard time launching with an inclination-plane on earth aligned to the ecliptic. How can I check the correct launch period aligned to the sun ecliptic and the angle I should burn to?

3rd) Even after some hard time with trial and error and guessing by eye the best I could the ejection angle, I couldn´t get an encounter on the first orbital pass to Duna with a probe mission of mine. I used the launch planer and matched the Phase angles. But KE doesn´t show the Correct EPOCH date so I could launch at the precise exact date. Which mod allows for that? Kerbal Alarm?

Also: Back on stock KSP, I first did the escape burn to leave Kerbin and after leaving it's SOL and entering Kerbol's I did the insertion burn so to try and avoid floating errors from making a meneuver node out of the plane of the target body. Should I already do the insertion burn as soon as I reach escape velocity close to earth?

4th) That is most of my questions anyway, aside from that, How do I calculate gravity assists? Is it possible? Launch Window Planner doesn´t seem to allow for that so I imagine if any of you guys have a list of dates for best gravity assistis launch dates to Jupiter and Saturn.

5th) Last one: Which assistant mods are the best for navigating and checking launch and burn dates and angles? KE seens barely enough and even tough I don´t like using MJ, neither it seemed adequate. I don´t like automating but it's obviously doing things without a calculator or spreedsheet is impossible without cheating.

Sorry if most of theses questions were discussed, I spend almost 1 hour reading several pages of this thread and couldn´t find most of these question. I believe a short Tutorial or FAQ in the first post for intermediate/advanced players from Stock KSP like myself would be welcome to help us in trying to make more audacious missions with RSS like I'd like to do.

Cheers

I found this texture of Earth at night that happens to have the exact same aspect ratio as the high-res Earth texture for RSS. Perhaps we could extract the lights from it and use for the City Lights mod? I would do it if I knew how.

http://eoimages2.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/79000/79765/dnb_land_ocean_ice.2012.13500x6750.jpg

Edited by MAKC

Hello all. Sorry if this issues have been recurring discussed here, I suppose so, but I haven´t had luck with the search function.

So, I've been playing with RSS since it's first days back at 0.22. I even was one of the firsts to fine tune atmosphere stats and add PF planets to represent saturns and other moons (see post #905). Back at the day however, there wasn´t any launch window planer or spreedsheet available for the best launch date and angles possible so missions beyond Mars were very limited.

After the 0.23 update I stopped playing modded for a while since most of my favorite mods broke down.

Anyway, now after a couple of days setting and customizing all my favorite mods back up (most of the Realism Overhaul pack and my own customized engine settings), I decided it was about that time to do some serious business RSS mission to one of Jupiter of Even Saturn's moon without automation, fuel or hundreds of years of timewarp cheatings. This thanks to the newly developed launch planer to be used with RSS:

http://abrhmsanchez.github.io/ksp/

However, I'm having a hard time using it.

1s) I don´t understand why the planets aren´t aligned to the solar ecliptic plane. What is this weird orientation all about? Back on the 0.22 days, I removed most of the planet inclinations (not of the moons) to make launch less of hassle. It felt a little like cheating but without any launch planner and spreadsheet there was no way we could do a realistic mission with out some sorft of workaround anyway. Now I don´t wan´t to change anything, and neither could I, if i wanted to actually use the launch window planer that I just posted here

2nd) The launch site isn´t on the ecuator anymore and I'm also having a hard time launching with an inclination-plane on earth aligned to the ecliptic. How can I check the correct launch period aligned to the sun ecliptic and the angle I should burn to?

3rd) Even after some hard time with trial and error and guessing by eye the best I could the ejection angle, I couldn´t get an encounter on the first orbital pass to Duna with a probe mission of mine. I used the launch planer and matched the Phase angles. But KE doesn´t show the Correct EPOCH date so I could launch at the precise exact date. Which mod allows for that? Kerbal Alarm?

Also: Back on stock KSP, I first did the escape burn to leave Kerbin and after leaving it's SOL and entering Kerbol's I did the insertion burn so to try and avoid floating errors from making a meneuver node out of the plane of the target body. Should I already do the insertion burn as soon as I reach escape velocity close to earth?

4th) That is most of my questions anyway, aside from that, How do I calculate gravity assists? Is it possible? Launch Window Planner doesn´t seem to allow for that so I imagine if any of you guys have a list of dates for best gravity assistis launch dates to Jupiter and Saturn.

5th) Last one: Which assistant mods are the best for navigating and checking launch and burn dates and angles? KE seens barely enough and even tough I don´t like using MJ, neither it seemed adequate. I don´t like automating but it's obviously doing things without a calculator or spreedsheet is impossible without cheating.

Sorry if most of theses questions were discussed, I spend almost 1 hour reading several pages of this thread and couldn´t find most of these question. I believe a short Tutorial or FAQ in the first post for intermediate/advanced players from Stock KSP like myself would be welcome to help us in trying to make more audacious missions with RSS like I'd like to do.

Cheers

https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

You can manually enter orbital body parameters from the config file and I read somewhere that Nathan may be offering a RSS version soon.

EDIT: Here is a RSS version:

https://abrhmsanchez.github.io/ksp/

EDIT2: You can also try this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/33023-WEB-APP-Launch-Window-Planner?p=938492&viewfull=1#post938492

EDIT3: There is also this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-23-5-Real-Solar-System-v6-4-29-14?p=829760&viewfull=1#post829760

Edited by SpacedInvader