[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Update for the KSC Switcher feature if you're interested. Warning: My microphone is terrible. If I keep doing this I'm going to get a hold of some of my audio friends and get some real gear.

Update for the KSC Switcher feature if you're interested. Warning: My microphone is terrible. If I keep doing this I'm going to get a hold of some of my audio friends and get some real gear.

I really like this, the question I've got is how does it affect flights in progress? If I've got a ship on the pad, does switching sites drag the ship along with it? Also, what would I need to make all of those into ground stations for RT2? I know that will make initial flights easier, but the idea that you only had one communications site on the whole planet always sounded kinda weak... After all, we've had global communications coverage for space flight since the beginning in one form or another.

I really like this, the question I've got is how does it affect flights in progress?

No idea, but it shouldn't affect anything in space.

If I've got a ship on the pad, does switching sites drag the ship along with it?

No idea, but I don't leave stuff lying around KSC to begin with, so any issues will be handled later.

Also, what would I need to make all of those into ground stations for RT2?

In all honesty RT2 should really handle the entire planet as a transmitter, but that's just me.

I don't leave stuff lying around KSC to begin with, so any issues will be handled later.

In all honesty RT2 should really handle the entire planet as a transmitter, but that's just me.

The reason I ask is because I use Kerbal Construction Time to enforce a somewhat more realistic launch schedule. Somewhere I remember reading about the mod keeping a ship on the pad in certain circumstances, so I would want to be sure moving things around for one reason or another wouldn't conflict.

As for point 2 here, I'd say there are some places where coverage might be a little spotty like over the southern pole, so maybe a whole planet transmitter would be a little over the top, but I really think that multiple ground stations, even in 1950, is well within the realm of reality.

Also, what would I need to make all of those into ground stations for RT2?

Someone made a remotetech config a couple of pages ago which includes all of the current launch sites: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-23-5-Real-Solar-System-v6-4-29-14?p=1131607&viewfull=1#post1131607

Just paste the file into your remotetech directory.

The reason I ask is because I use Kerbal Construction Time to enforce a somewhat more realistic launch schedule. Somewhere I remember reading about the mod keeping a ship on the pad in certain circumstances, so I would want to be sure moving things around for one reason or another wouldn't conflict.

Yeah, I am not at all sure about that. Personally I find build times silly (seriously, this stuff is built sometimes years in advance) and will instead be adding a feature to record the last launch date for each site. That way you can restrict how many launches you can do by site, which feels a lot more realistic to me. Anyway, I'd have to test it out but I have a feeling it'll probably bomb horribly. You can always test it on the latest version.

Someone made a remotetech config a couple of pages ago which includes all of the current launch sites: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-23-5-Real-Solar-System-v6-4-29-14?p=1131607&viewfull=1#post1131607

Just paste the file into your remotetech directory.

LOL, must have missed that one... I think I got focused on BadRocketsCo's problem and developed a little tunnel vision.

Yeah, I am not at all sure about that. Personally I find build times silly (seriously, this stuff is built sometimes years in advance) and will instead be adding a feature to record the last launch date for each site. That way you can restrict how many launches you can do by site, which feels a lot more realistic to me. Anyway, I'd have to test it out but I have a feeling it'll probably bomb horribly. You can always test it on the latest version.

I'm looking at it more as a way to restrict the rate of launch rather than a strict analog for real construction time. The problem, for me at least, with just trying to self enforce something like that is that there will eventually be a time when a launch window is less than the next launch time into the future and I'll just bend the rules a little to launch at the right time... problem is, once you've done it once, there is a lot less inhibition against doing it again and again. KCT just enforces it all into a fixed code. I just wish it allowed for multiple concurrent builds much as would be the case in real life where different companies are building different vehicles all the time.

I'm looking at it more as a way to restrict the rate of launch rather than a strict analog for real construction time. The problem, for me at least, with just trying to self enforce something like that is that there will eventually be a time when a launch window is less than the next launch time into the future and I'll just bend the rules a little to launch at the right time... problem is, once you've done it once, there is a lot less inhibition against doing it again and again. KCT just enforces it all into a fixed code. I just wish it allowed for multiple concurrent builds much as would be the case in real life where different companies are building different vehicles all the time.

Well, as said, I'll test it and maybe try a fix or two, but no promises. If it drags along the ship with the launch site change I'd say you've got a very unrealistic situation on your hands (and not because the ship's moving!) I might consider writing a mod that restricts you from launching from a certain site by the last launch date there because that's what I'm writing this feature for.

Something else that might be fun is to have launch sites appear at certain dates. That would not be hard to do.

Well, as said, I'll test it and maybe try a fix or two, but no promises. If it drags along the ship with the launch site change I'd say you've got a very unrealistic situation on your hands (and not because the ship's moving!) I might consider writing a mod that restricts you from launching from a certain site by the last launch date there because that's what I'm writing this feature for.

Something else that might be fun is to have launch sites appear at certain dates. That would not be hard to do.

An expansion on that idea: Give the sites a cooldown timer, maybe two weeks to simulate final assembly and fueling, and then only have them appear as available if the timer has expired. Then in the site list, you can list how long is left before each site is ready. I would also apply some sort of weekly or monthly launch limit to prevent people from launching 30-60 rockets a month by just switching between all of the different sites.

An expansion on that idea: Give the sites a cooldown timer, maybe two weeks to simulate final assembly and fueling, and then only have them appear as available if the timer has expired. Then in the site list, you can list how long is left before each site is ready. I would also apply some sort of weekly or monthly launch limit to prevent people from launching 30-60 rockets a month by just switching between all of the different sites.

Here on planet Earth we're currently averaging over one launch per week, close to 1.5 launches per week, and in the past have almost managed three per week, so having a monthly launch limit kind of rubs me the wrong way, especially since most players will likely never exceed that (and if they do, who cares?). That being said, a site cooldown is on my list for campaign mechanics I want to integrate. I don't know how appropriate that would be for RSS itself, though; it'll probably end up in its own mod.

great start; cant wait to see how it progresses.

You forgot neptune. thats a big one. Why dont you try retextureing more then just earth and also edit the sizes of the planets. Like Saturn is represented by Dres but is no where near the size of saturn. FYI i know you can use hyper edit to change planet sizes so you should be able to code in the different planet sizes

Here on planet Earth we're currently averaging over one launch per week, close to 1.5 launches per week, and in the past have almost managed three per week, so having a monthly launch limit kind of rubs me the wrong way, especially since most players will likely never exceed that (and if they do, who cares?). That being said, a site cooldown is on my list for campaign mechanics I want to integrate. I don't know how appropriate that would be for RSS itself, though; it'll probably end up in its own mod.

To each his own, but the way I see this is why bother limiting the time frame for each site with a cooldown timer if you leave the door open to just launch from another site without a delay. Sure the average player won't reach 30 launches in a month, but there will be plenty who would just see the need to switch launch sites as an annoyance rather than a serious mission planning consideration. With a hard limit on launches exists, it would force decisions about what to launch and when because you would not want to be suddenly in a position where you couldn't launch the final piece of an interplanetary craft because you'd launched too many communications satellites, or where you couldn't resupply your station with life support because you launched too much in support of an interplanetary mission.

EDIT: I guess another way to implement this would be to just set the cooldown timers to something much longer, like a few months. This would indirectly cut down on the number of overall launches by forcing the player to limit themselves unless they don't want to wait a long time between launches.

Edited by SpacedInvader

1s) I don´t understand why the planets aren´t aligned to the solar ecliptic plane. What is this weird orientation all about? Back on the 0.22 days, I removed most of the planet inclinations (not of the moons) to make launch less of hassle. It felt a little like cheating but without any launch planner and spreadsheet there was no way we could do a realistic mission with out some sorft of workaround anyway. Now I don´t wan´t to change anything, and neither could I, if i wanted to actually use the launch window planer that I just posted here

2nd) The launch site isn´t on the ecuator anymore and I'm also having a hard time launching with an inclination-plane on earth aligned to the ecliptic. How can I check the correct launch period aligned to the sun ecliptic and the angle I should burn to?

I believe (1) is to account for the axial tilt of Earth, which can't otherwise be done in KSP. To launch in the right plane, I rotate the camera around Earth to line up the ecliptic so it appears to cross Earth horizontally near the latitude of KSC, then fast forward time until KSC is in the middle of the disc of Earth facing the camera. Hope that helps :)

Which mods did you use to get those satellites and solar panels (in the mission photos)? I think they look so good, but can't seem to find them anywhere...

Sorry if this has been asked already :)

Which mods did you use to get those satellites and solar panels (in the mission photos)? I think they look so good, but can't seem to find them anywhere...

Sorry if this has been asked already :)

AIES Aerospace is a big part of it, with many satellite bodies and new solar panels.

great start; cant wait to see how it progresses.

You forgot neptune. thats a big one. Why dont you try retextureing more then just earth and also edit the sizes of the planets. Like Saturn is represented by Dres but is no where near the size of saturn. FYI i know you can use hyper edit to change planet sizes so you should be able to code in the different planet sizes

How is it not the size of Saturn? Its radius is 60268km, it probably looks much smaller because there are no rings.

No Neptune because there aren't enough planets in KSP for it. The current focus is on making the existing ones real with corresponding color, height and normal maps then move on to adding more, custom planets.

How is it not the size of Saturn? Its radius is 60268km, it probably looks much smaller because there are no rings.

No Neptune because there aren't enough planets in KSP for it. The current focus is on making the existing ones real with corresponding color, height and normal maps then move on to adding more, custom planets.

I got the impression that this person didn't even install RSS and only just had a look at the OP...

AIES Aerospace is a big part of it, with many satellite bodies and new solar panels.

Thank you, looked at it and AIES is beautiful! Question: is it better to us AIES with KW rocketry, or is that just a waste of memory? I currently gave KW rocketry and I'm wondering whether to keep it or replace it.

Thank you, looked at it and AIES is beautiful! Question: is it better to us AIES with KW rocketry, or is that just a waste of memory? I currently gave KW rocketry and I'm wondering whether to keep it or replace it.

I run with both, plus FASA, Laztek, KOSMOS, B9, and quite a few others. I tend to run with as many part options as I can fit before I get unstable though...

If you haven't tried it yet, I would highly recommend Faark's load-on-demand mod as it really frees you up to have a lot more parts without risking crashing the game before you even get to the main menu. Also, the newest version of active texture management works hand in hand with it so you can really load yourself up if you want to (My GameData folder is ~5GB).

I run with both, plus FASA, Laztek, KOSMOS, B9, and quite a few others. I tend to run with as many part options as I can fit before I get unstable though...

If you haven't tried it yet, I would highly recommend Faark's load-on-demand mod as it really frees you up to have a lot more parts without risking crashing the game before you even get to the main menu. Also, the newest version of active texture management works hand in hand with it so you can really load yourself up if you want to (My GameData folder is ~5GB).

I'll definitely look into it, my only concern being that it sounds... unstable. But I'll back up my game and give it a whirl! Thanks!

I'll definitely look into it, my only concern being that it sounds... unstable. But I'll back up my game and give it a whirl! Thanks!

It's really not... I haven't had a crash for anything other than being over memory limit since version 2. If you're a little careful about how fast you browse in the VAB, you'll probably do fine. Again... I really load my install up with parts, so even with all of the memory management in place, I sometimes go over memory, but if I were to cut down on some parts packs, I'd probably never have an issue and still be able to keep 3-4 GB of mods in my GameData folder.

So I'm working through the early RPL missions looking forward to making my first Moon landing and it just occurred to me, we really need to go through and completely revamp the biomes for all of the rest of the planets in the way it was done for Earth. This is especially true for the Moon because of the fact that none of its old biomes are going to work for the new surface we just gave it.