[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

CityLights for RSS

http://www./download/hbxbbbi74ei47lf/RSS_CityLights_8k.rar

8k version only.

Instructions: Drop in your GameData folder, overwriting files as necessary. CityLights mod required.

Feel free to resize/redistribute the modified image/mod included in this archive. The plugins I used to remove the land masses & oceans and the following aliasing inevitably removed some of the finer detail. If you can produce a better version, go for it! I would probably use it.

Source: NASA

Thanks to Nathan for helping me figure out the coordinate system used to align the texture.

Edited by MAKC

CityLights for RSS

http://www./download/hbxbbbi74ei47lf/RSS_CityLights_8k.rar

8k version only.

Instructions: Drop in your GameData folder, overwriting files as necessary. CityLights mod required.

Feel free to resize/redistribute the modified image/mod included in this archive. The plugins I used to remove the land masses & oceans and the following aliasing inevitably removed some of the finer detail. If you can produce a better version, go for it! I would probably use it.

Source: NASA

Thanks to Nathan for helping me figure out the coordinate system used to align the texture.

Nice :D How about a little showcase? maybe scrrenshots or a video? Can't test it right now and would like to see how it looks :wink:

Nice :D How about a little showcase? maybe scrrenshots or a video? Can't test it right now and would like to see how it looks :wink:

NyeYoIW.png

There you go.

I might make it a bit brighter. Also, the dark side of Earth isn't very dark, is it? IMO it should be darker.

On a separate note, anyone else have problems with a big grey "cloud" cover that has what appears to be large, circular holes in it when flying in the atmosphere?

It's obviously an issue with EVE/RSS compatibility. Has anyone figured out how to fix it?

Edited by MAKC

Bushi: When you create a shortcut, you need to specify the working folder. Does the error occur if you launch KSP from the ksp.exe in its folder, and not from a shortcut? If so, then you have a problem in shortcut-making, it's certainly not RSS's fault. Review how to create shortcuts and specify their targets and working directories.

jsimmons: it took eggrobin a great deal of crunching in Mathematica to match the pressureCurve to the ISA model for Earth; I'm not sure that's something I want to take on in C# :]

If you're just making 10x Kerbol, I highly recommend just using the legacy atmosphere; otherwise you will get non-KSP atmospheric behavior on all those planets. If you do want to make the atmospheres realistic, however, then yes, you will need to make a pressureCurve (and a temperatureCurve) for those bodies. Since KSP has its own get-pressure methods, we can't just substitute our own; the choice is ether use legacy atmosphere (with a single scaleheight) or pregenerate a pressureCurve.

The notebooks the eggrobin used to create the pressureCurves *are* avialable in the RSS repository on github if you want to see how, or use the files.

sephirotic: The RSS launch window planner needs to be updated since it currently does not support non-epochal oribtal parameters (RSS's orbital parameters are given at epoch, not Year 1 Day 1). Meanwhile you should be able to use real launch window planners for real NASA missions. This should also be helpful regarding planning gravity assists.

The ecliptic is no longer the invariant plane so that we can have an Earth with proper axial tilt (and at least *some* axial tilt for other bodies, even if they don't have their correct axial tilts).

Finally, I heartily agree about a FAQ; I encourage adding one to the RSS wiki, to which all can contribute.

regex, this is looking amazing! Love what you're doing for the UI, and also I highly support "pad refurbishment" delays for launch sites. In fact it might make sense to define the number of pads and their max masses...

(Could not just record when a site becomes available, but when a pad does.)

Ships on the pad move with KSC when you move KSC, I believe.

Biomes is a very good point; the Moon definitely needs its correct biomes. Trueborn gave me permission to bundle Custom Biomes with RSS, so that will make installation much simpler.

That reminds me--I keep forgetting to upload my citylights map. It's pulled from the same source as the other Earth textures RSS uses so it should match correctly. I mostly keep forgetting because EVE still has issues with RSS (as you mention). rbray is working on it though!

@NathanKell: One of the datasets I have for the Moon has all of the "water features" laid out in proper shape and name. The are actually something like 95 of them, but I'm currently pairing it down to a few of the most prominent for biomes. I will also add a few of the largest non-mare craters to round out the list. It will have close to 20 biomes, but I think it will work.

EDIT: I am pretty sure I have something similar for Venus and Mars at least.

EDIT2: BTW, I like the idea of limiting the amount of weight certain sites can handle along with a cool down timer. It would effectively limit the total tonnage placed in orbit without placing a hard cap on launches.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Guys, since most of the KSC Switcher features that belong in RSS are finished, any further discussion about the campaign stuff should go here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78895-regex-s-Campaign-System-KSC-Switcher-6-4-1-Kerbin-and-whatever-else-WIP-thread

The campaign code will rely heavily on the KSC Switcher code so it will be included in RSS, but will be toggleable and turned off by default. Thanks for letting me hijack the thread for a few pages! :P

I'd first like to clarify that I mean no disrespect; I'm only asking for a little assistance in installing this mod.

The only thing that's been keeping me from installing this mod is the extremely long load-times for the rebuilding of the meshes (I haven't had the patience to make it through the entire thing.) Is this only a first-time (do the meshes somehow get saved so, say, the second load doesn't take 20 minutes,) and if not, is there any way to get it to load more quickly? I tried the whole "onlySpheres = true" thing, but of course this screwed up the very non-spherical worlds.

I'd first like to clarify that I mean no disrespect; I'm only asking for a little assistance in installing this mod.

The only thing that's been keeping me from installing this mod is the extremely long load-times for the rebuilding of the meshes (I haven't had the patience to make it through the entire thing.) Is this only a first-time (do the meshes somehow get saved so, say, the second load doesn't take 20 minutes,) and if not, is there any way to get it to load more quickly? I tried the whole "onlySpheres = true" thing, but of course this screwed up the very non-spherical worlds.

Nathan is currently working on caching the meshes but until then, it's either long wait times or the onlySpheres thing.

I think if you go to the github site you can grab an older version pre-mesh rebuilding.... but Im not sure

ninjaed and I didnt know about wrap

Okes, thanks a lot!

Just so I'm entirely sure, may I inquire as to what this wrap value is and why it reduces load times?

EDIT: Or where in the config I can find it?

EDIT 2: Found it. Seems to be a specifier for whether scaledspace is wrapped, whatever that means. :P

Edited by Whovian

KSP uses two types of graphics for planets: the close-up procedural terrain, and, when in high enough orbit, a single static mesh (the scaled space mesh). When you change the planet's terrain (even if all you do is increase the radius, that means that 6km mountains that used to be .1% of radius above sea level are now only 0.01% above) you need to also update the scaled space mesh.

So I've started working on custom biomes for the Moon, Mars, and Venus. Making the maps will be pretty easy, the question I have is, if I end up making custom science reports as well, should they be realistic, or should they be KSP-ish (i.e. The yellow atmosphere of Venus reminds you of Lemon Meringue... You wonder if it would taste good on a pie)?

True, and yet we're still launching 3ft tall green aliens... Maybe something mostly realistic, but with a slight KSP tone...

You guys can have my Kerbals when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Uh... wait... let me... that doesnt sound right. can I rephrase that?

Any one have an update v6.1 and Planet Pack cfg file for 1/10 RSS system?

metaphor one is outdated (pre-v6.1)

Tx

TBH, I didn't even think about the possibility of releasing alternate configs for the planet pack. If no one has gotten around to it after all of those alternate configs have been updated (I think some already are including metaphor's), I'll spend a little time to make them work.

TBH, I didn't even think about the possibility of releasing alternate configs for the planet pack. If no one has gotten around to it after all of those alternate configs have been updated (I think some already are including metaphor's), I'll spend a little time to make them work.

That would be great. Tx.

I started to fiddle around, but can't put real hours into redoing it, with deadlines at work.

With EVE not receiving updates in near future, decided to let that be (v5 + EVE + BA + 1/10th) and move to RSS and its official addons (planet pack).

On a side note, how hard would it be to include a global var to determine what scale you want in the .cfg? 1, 6.4, 10x?

It is possible to simulate axial tilt by making earth satellite of the "dummy" object? I mean this object would be inside earth and planet (and moon) would orbit him with small radius. The object will orbit sun.

PS sorry for my bad English, i hope you understand me.

So I've been considering trying to write up a config for RSS that would give us 10x Kerbol system with more realistic inclination for Kerbin and, if I'm hearing you right and you've managed to figure out a way to implement axial tilt, axial tilt within believable levels. Or if the existing 10x Kerbol system does that already, I could try my hand at updating it to v6.