[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

By the way, installing the 32-bit version of KSP is not an option under Steam. Steam automatically installs the 64-bit version if your O/S is 64-bit.

It automatically launches 32-bit, but the 64-bit client is in your Kerbal Space Program folder (under Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program if I remember right)

This is why of all mods, the 64bit lockout is especially inappropriate in RSS. It's a memory hog, IMO, 64bit should be recommended for running it (especially if you want visual enhancements, too). This whole practice is an atrocity, but RSS is hurt by it the most, because it's already very demanding, and crippling it like this locks people in 3GB limit, for which RSS is just too big, especially with decent textures. Not to mention the latest version seems to be using more memory. I'm now also stuck with running small textures in half-res mode, where I could run medium-sized ones (in full res mode) before, with visual enhancements to boot.

It automatically launches 32-bit, but the 64-bit client is in your Kerbal Space Program folder (under Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program if I remember right)

Interesting. I get better performance (meaning it crashes far less frequently) when I run KSP.exe directly from the Kerbal Space Program folder, than I get when I run KSP_x64.exe directly from the Kerbal Space Program folder. I get the same response from running KSP_x64.exe as I get when I run it from Steam. In the case of both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions everything loads fine, but as soon as I attempt to move anything in the VAB, it crashes in the KSP_x64.exe and Steam versions.

I am only able to construct and launch using the 32-bit version (KSP.exe) running it directly from the Kerbal Space Program folder. It would be nice if Steam would identify which version of the application they are executing, the 32-bit or 64-bit.

Steam installs both the 32bit and 64bit KSP clients. Unless you specifically elect to use the 64bit executable, you are playing in 32bit KSP (had you been using the 64bit executable, you would not have seen an RSS status window ;) ).

You might try selectively upgrading your textures, if, once KSP is loaded, your memory usage is under 3GB; if not, you are probably stuck with the 2048s, sorry. :(

Thanks for all your work on this mod. At any resolution it is worth it. I am certain it will only get better with time.

I started with the highest resolution. When it crashed, I read the error report and it showed 83% memory usage with ~1.1 GB remaining free. So I stepped it down to 4096 resolution and it crashed again. Only this time when it crashed the error report showed 80% memory usage with ~1.5 GB remaining free. When I dropped it down to 2048 resolution everything loads fine.

I am still tweaking my mods to see which will cause the least problems, but everything will revolve around making KSP with the Real Solar System and Real Fuels mods as stable as possible. That was my primary motivativation in buying KSP. I did not want to play in an imaginary or fictitious solar system, I wanted a sandbox simulator that uses our solar system. It will certainly give me a better appreciation for what JPL and NASA has to do in order to deliver their payloads.

Once I pair down the mods I am really interested in keeping, and getting rid of all the others, I am hoping it will free up enough memory to allow higher resolutions to be used. The mods that I know I will be keeping are:

• CrossFeedEnabler;
  • CustomBiomes;
  • DeadlyReentry;
  • KAS;
  • MechJeb2;
  • RealFuels;
  • RealSolarSystem;
  • StationPartsExpansion;
  • TacFuelBalancer; and
  • ThunderAerospace.

Are there any other mods you would recommend for Real Solar System?

Thanks for all your work on this mod. At any resolution it is worth it. I am certain it will only get better with time.

I started with the highest resolution. When it crashed, I read the error report and it showed 83% memory usage with ~1.1 GB remaining free. So I stepped it down to 4096 resolution and it crashed again. Only this time when it crashed the error report showed 80% memory usage with ~1.5 GB remaining free. When I dropped it down to 2048 resolution everything loads fine.

I am still tweaking my mods to see which will cause the least problems, but everything will revolve around making KSP with the Real Solar System and Real Fuels mods as stable as possible. That was my primary motivativation in buying KSP. I did not want to play in an imaginary or fictitious solar system, I wanted a sandbox simulator that uses our solar system. It will certainly give me a better appreciation for what JPL and NASA has to do in order to deliver their payloads.

Once I pair down the mods I am really interested in keeping, and getting rid of all the others, I am hoping it will free up enough memory to allow higher resolutions to be used. The mods that I know I will be keeping are:

• CrossFeedEnabler;
  • CustomBiomes;
  • DeadlyReentry;
  • KAS;
  • MechJeb2;
  • RealFuels;
  • RealSolarSystem;
  • StationPartsExpansion;
  • TacFuelBalancer; and
  • ThunderAerospace.

Are there any other mods you would recommend for Real Solar System?

Farram Areospace Research should be on your list to correct the sludge that is the stock drag model. I would also recommend Procedural Parts to be able to control your tank sizes (this will also let you remove all the other fuel tanks which will free up memory), Kerbal Joint Reinforcement to reduce the need for struts, and Procedural Fairings to be able to put fairings around landers, engine clusters, probes, etc. (If needed)

EDIT: RealChutes as well (delete the stock chutes to reduce parts and memory). You might also want to grab the 5m engines (maybe the others depending on how much memory you have left) from a part pack (I am using KW Rocketry but there are others)

Edited by smartdummies

Yes, Ferram Aerospace Research is pretty much considered a required mod for RSS. The only other part mod I would suggest your not wanting to miss would be Procedural Fairings, as you will definitely want to fair payloads and use the procedural interstage. Oh, and you need Active Texture Management (even in basic, non-aggressive form, so no loss in visual quality) because the stock texture loaders have some pretty bad bugs.

Other than that, you might want to look into some (no-memory-required) build aids, like RCS Build Aid, Editor Extensions, and Part Angle Display.

Dragon01: You have already driven one friend of mine from modding KSP. Please do not start up on this thread too.

I've discovered strange issue. I have a ship (crewed or uncrewed) in orbit (tested for Ike and Tylo) and it is currently less than 30km above the surface. When I quit the game in such a situation, launch it back and I open my savefile there is written "1 flight in progres" (that one I left), but when I go to Tracking Station this ship is not there. It has been deleted and crew can be now found in Lost In Action list. Checked the savefile itself, ship is indeed not there.

Today I tested that the ship is deleted (or more likely never saved) not on the moment when you quit the game but just when you go back to Space Center. This is some version independent problem because I've already encountered this once before - in KSP 0.23.5 and RSS 6.1 over Vall. I guess this 30km altitude is some technical boundary between space and flying over surface (?) and that's why ship cannot be saved? I'm not sure, has anyone found that problem too?

Edited by von Ziegendorf

Farram Areospace Research should be on your list to correct the sludge that is the stock drag model. I would also recommend Procedural Parts to be able to control your tank sizes (this will also let you remove all the other fuel tanks which will free up memory), Kerbal Joint Reinforcement to reduce the need for struts, and Procedural Fairings to be able to put fairings around landers, engine clusters, probes, etc. (If needed)

EDIT: RealChutes as well (delete the stock chutes to reduce parts and memory). You might also want to grab the 5m engines (maybe the others depending on how much memory you have left) from a part pack (I am using KW Rocketry but there are others)

Yes, Ferram Aerospace Research is pretty much considered a required mod for RSS. The only other part mod I would suggest your not wanting to miss would be Procedural Fairings, as you will definitely want to fair payloads and use the procedural interstage. Oh, and you need Active Texture Management (even in basic, non-aggressive form, so no loss in visual quality) because the stock texture loaders have some pretty bad bugs.

Other than that, you might want to look into some (no-memory-required) build aids, like RCS Build Aid, Editor Extensions, and Part Angle Display.

I added the mods you both recommended, in addition to the list I made above. I dropped 16 other mods. The Module Manager now shows 532 patches applied. Which is a vast improvement over the 1421 patches it applied before. I tried stepping up the resolution to 8192. Unfortunately, it still crashed when applying the color map to Kerbin. The error report showed 87% memory in use with 1,054 MB free.

I stepped it down to 4096 resolution and everything loaded fine. So I have doubled the resolution that I had before. I have only gotten 55 hours into game thus far, but I am sure it will provide me with many more hours of entertainment.

Thank you both for your help.

Hi, I have one small question:

I'm using this mod with the 64k config file (the 64k Kerbol pack from Paul Kingtiger). I would love to use it together with the Kerbal Alarm Clock but that ist currently incompatible. If I understand it right then this mod changes the warp (so it warps faster?) which seems to be the problem.

Is it possible for me to undo the changes so I can use the Alarm Clock?

I'm using this mod with the 64k config file (the 64k Kerbol pack from Paul Kingtiger). I would love to use it together with the Kerbal Alarm Clock but that ist currently incompatible. If I understand it right then this mod changes the warp (so it warps faster?) which seems to be the problem.

Bottom of RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg are the warp rates. Change them back to stock.

I use KAC with RSS and have not found it necessary to do any modifications to the timewarp settings....?

Bottom of RealSolarSystemSettings.cfg are the warp rates. Change them back to stock.

Works fine. Thank you.

I use KAC with RSS and have not found it necessary to do any modifications to the timewarp settings....?

When I tried to use it, everytime I warped to an alarm at max warp it didn't slow down before it reached the alarm but stopped instantly and the orbit "jumped" so that it had different Apoapsis and Periapsis as before.

Well, I installed latest version of RSS on fresh KSP client, but it says RSS is outdated. Is this known problem?

'Outdated' doesn't sound like a message that would come from RSS. Do you mean incompatible? You could get a message saying it was incompatible if you are using the wrong version of KSP. (the latest RSS is for KSP 0.25)

You could also get a similar message if you try to use RSS with the 64 bit KSP Windows client. The current version of RSS will not run if it detects the 64 bit Windows client. Other operating systems are not affected.

I've been running this mod for a while and have slowly come to the conclusion that it's not really for me, but I want to keep the general RSS layout of the system. If I'm running this with the 1/10th size config and the bonus planets, will the bonus planets scale properly or are they going to be huge in comparison with the rest of the system?

'Outdated' doesn't sound like a message that would come from RSS. Do you mean incompatible? You could get a message saying it was incompatible if you are using the wrong version of KSP. (the latest RSS is for KSP 0.25)

You could also get a similar message if you try to use RSS with the 64 bit KSP Windows client. The current version of RSS will not run if it detects the 64 bit Windows client. Other operating systems are not affected.

Yes, it was incompatible I saw. I installed it into a fresh steam downloaded KSP client, so it was the latest version of KSP. I believe I launched 32bit one, but I'm gonna check it.

I've been running this mod for a while and have slowly come to the conclusion that it's not really for me, but I want to keep the general RSS layout of the system. If I'm running this with the 1/10th size config and the bonus planets, will the bonus planets scale properly or are they going to be huge in comparison with the rest of the system?

What bonus planets are you talking about? If you mean my config, no i it won't even let you have the normal planets 1/10 they will be full size. I was planning on a 1/10th config but RL got in the way.

I was wondering if anyone has done a custom biome for Saturn's moon Titan for the standard RSS mod? I'm doing a project in an astronomy class and it would be pretty amazing to have one for the demonstration. I asked over in the Custom Biomes thread and they pointed me in this direction. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I was wondering if anyone has done a custom biome for Saturn's moon Titan for the standard RSS mod? I'm doing a project in an astronomy class and it would be pretty amazing to have one for the demonstration. I asked over in the Custom Biomes thread and they pointed me in this direction. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm working on those on and off between putting Realism Overhaul Updates together.

It's not a very complicated process, if you'd like to help out, I can easily show you the ropes. I've got all the inner planets and Jupiter (none of Jupiter's moons yet) done. Feel like giving it a shot?

Hi ! I just installed RSS with all requiered and recomanded mods, that's an incredible job, well done !

I just succed in launching a simple command pod with 3 Kerbals in orbit and make them do a by-pass of the Moon : that worked (with a LOT of Delta-V ! ^^) but I noticed that my fuel "leaks" out of my tanks (some types of fuel more than others). It's like in real life so no problem, but I felt like it leaks really quickly ! I understand that if I use pressurized tank there is less leak, but the only pressurized tanks I could find are the old RCS tanks (filled with corresponding fuel of course). Am I missing something or is that normal and I'm supposed to use such tanks for long mission ? For exemple if I want to go to Mars, should I just use RCS tanks ? I'm not sure if the engine I'm using or the current fuel type increase or decrease fuel leaks. I didn't find any tutorial about this, so thank you if anyone can help me !

EDIT : Also, when making a good old great rocket, my engines aren't covered by the... "cover" like they should be. They're just put above the decoupler, which is not really pretty... Any idea of what's causing this ? I installed the mods normally (well, I think so)

Edited by ToyToy

Hi ! I just installed RSS with all requiered and recomanded mods, that's an incredible job, well done !

I just succed in launching a simple command pod with 3 Kerbals in orbit and make them do a by-pass of the Moon : that worked (with a LOT of Delta-V ! ^^) but I noticed that my fuel "leaks" out of my tanks (some types of fuel more than others). It's like in real life so no problem, but I felt like it leaks really quickly ! I understand that if I use pressurized tank there is less leak, but the only pressurized tanks I could find are the old RCS tanks (filled with corresponding fuel of course). Am I missing something or is that normal and I'm supposed to use such tanks for long mission ? For exemple if I want to go to Mars, should I just use RCS tanks ? I'm not sure if the engine I'm using or the current fuel type increase or decrease fuel leaks. I didn't find any tutorial about this, so thank you if anyone can help me !

Are you possibly using RealFuels? Liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen, liquid ammonia, liquid methane, and other cryogenic fuels will experience boiloff if ambient temperature exceeds their boiling point. The three fuel mixes I know of offhand which are 100% storable are Aerozine 50/NTO, MMH/NTO, and hydrazine. Also, pressurized tanks aren't going to reduce boiloff; cryogenic tanks (the Jumbo-64 or cryogenic procedural tanks) will.

RSS itself does not touch fuels, engines, etc, it just scales up planets.

Edited by Starman4308

Yes I'm using real fuels, which is a part of realism overhaul, which is recommended in the first page ^^

Maybe I should ask my question in the RO thread ?

The three fuel mixes I know of offhand which are 100% storable are Aerozine 50/NTO, MMH/NTO, and hydrazine.

So I should use only these kind of fuel for long-duration mission ?

Thank you anyway ;)