[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Does anyone know what the modifiers are for Kerbal experience in RSS? I'm looking to level up some Kerbals and am trying to figure out the most cost/time/delta V effective way to get them to levels 2 and 3. Obviously planting a flag on the Moon and returning will get everyone to level 2, but it's a lot to keep heading down to the surface and back all the time.

18 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

Does anyone know what the modifiers are for Kerbal experience in RSS? I'm looking to level up some Kerbals and am trying to figure out the most cost/time/delta V effective way to get them to levels 2 and 3. Obviously planting a flag on the Moon and returning will get everyone to level 2, but it's a lot to keep heading down to the surface and back all the time.

I believe there are no modifiers, but in RP0 there might be. RSS just changes the system. It adds nothing other than that. Even if it does you might just be better off with RP0

Edited by HoloYolo
Lol

Hi everyone :),

Is there a way to use this mod, while keeping the rest of the game as close as possible to stock? (just change part, engine, fuel values, and make contracts make sense)  Without requiring massive amounts of mods, adding different fuels, etc etc etc?

essentially it would be great If I could play the stock game in the real solar system. 

The reason I would like to do this is, many mods in realism overhaul are buggy, incomplete or require additional parts mods that I don't want to use.

Thanks for your help :)

1 minute ago, spacetackle said:

Hi everyone :),

Is there a way to use this mod, while keeping the rest of the game as close as possible to stock? (just change part, engine, fuel values, and make contracts make sense)  Without requiring massive amounts of mods, adding different fuels, etc etc etc?

essentially it would be great If I could play the stock game in the real solar system. 

The reason I would like to do this is, many mods in realism overhaul are buggy, incomplete or require additional parts mods that I don't want to use.

Thanks for your help :)

Look into a mod called SMURFF.  It changes the fuel mass fractions of the stock tanks and values of the engines to make them more amenable to use in a full scale solar system.  I played that way for awhile before switching over to RO/RP-0.  You might wanna look into a few parts mods to add some larger engines, however.  

1 minute ago, jdub3350 said:

Look into a mod called SMURFF.  It changes the fuel mass fractions of the stock tanks and values of the engines to make them more amenable to use in a full scale solar system.  I played that way for awhile before switching over to RO/RP-0.  You might wanna look into a few parts mods to add some larger engines, however.  

Thanks for that @jdub3350 I will check it out :)

Edited by spacetackle

for smurff-like players ... i was looking for an addon that would modified ISP
but i did not find

i write and try this cfg for twice isp (half fuel consumption)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
  {
    @atmosphereCurve
    {
      k0 = #$key,0[1, ]$
      @k0 *= 2
      @key,0 = #0 $k0$

k1 = #$key,1[1, ]$
      @k1 *= 2
      @key,1 = #1 $k1$

}
  }
}

but this way have one problem ... anyone experienced modder know how to manage engines with more keys in atmosphere curve?

we need find every keys and then recalculate, to avoid "destroyng" existing  "non-simple" ( more than 2 key) curves

I have a question : i tried to make some planes but i cannot take off, even if im improving runway. Some bugs physics or weirds holes in the runway messed everything up. I have to take off outside of runway to have a chance to fly...

Why ? Bug ? I'm on 1.1.3 and RO/RSS 1.1.3

Edited by neocrife

On 7/5/2016 at 3:21 PM, HoloYolo said:

I believe there are no modifiers, but in RP0 there might be. RSS just changes the system. It adds nothing other than that. Even if it does you might just be better off with RP0

Turns out the easiest thing to do to train a Kerbal in RSS is to briefly travel outside of Kerbin's SOI.  With 2 experience points for orbiting Kerbin, and 6 more for going interplanetary (even if only for half an hour), a Kerbal can be brought up to level 2 at a reasonable Delta V cost.  Because there's only one moon in Kerbin's SOI, there's no way to get to level 3 without visiting another planet or installing a training/experience mod.

I wanted to let all of you know that I just released a Contract Pack that is right in line with RSS and can serve as an alternative to RP-0 for those who use SMURFF. It is a Historical Progression Contract System that takes the player through the history of human space flight.

I have one quastion. How do you land on Venus? Parachutes burn up due to high pressure and temperatures. I deployed them at 6 km and speed less than 50 m/s. Do you use some kind of crash-zone construction under your probes to compensate last 10-20 m/s?

1 hour ago, New Horizons said:

I have one quastion. How do you land on Venus? Parachutes burn up due to high pressure and temperatures. I deployed them at 6 km and speed less than 50 m/s. Do you use some kind of crash-zone construction under your probes to compensate last 10-20 m/s?

Use a bit of thrust to touchdown.

In principle good idea. But with RemoteTech installed there might be no connection to Earth or a least to the Orbiter, which might be behind the horizon after that slow descend on Venus. Last time a already used radial decoupler and heat shield buffered the landing, so that probe core stayed intact.

3 hours ago, New Horizons said:

Did you set the material to Kevlar? I just did a landing last night with a small probe and while the temperature bars hovered near the top of the red they survived all the way to the surface (and continued to glow afterwards!).

1 hour ago, New Horizons said:

My parts glowed red, too. Did you joked with Kevlar? It is possible to change materials?

Yes RealChutes includes that option (silk, nylon or Kevlar) as @Gooner pointed out.

Very versatile - you can change size (from tiny to giant), material, number of chutes, canopy size and weight, deployment speed and height etc. And with two separate configurations per package you can have drogue and main chutes in the same container.

They also come with configurations for stock parachutes and some mods (FASA for example) that turn them into RealChutes as well. I don't think sounding rockets (roverdude?) are included but could be easily added using the existing MM configs as templates.

Now I am building planes. But even with a completely symmetric one and all three wheels without steering capability it turns to the left on the runway. Is there a problem with phantom forces or a overestimated radial acceleration from planets rotation?

On 7/7/2016 at 3:41 AM, neocrife said:

I have a question : i tried to make some planes but i cannot take off, even if im improving runway. Some bugs physics or weirds holes in the runway messed everything up. I have to take off outside of runway to have a chance to fly...

Why ? Bug ? I'm on 1.1.3 and RO/RSS 1.1.3

I have the exact same problem, seems it was also reported on github before  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/issues/531  I wonder if there is a fix.

42 minutes ago, Hysterrics said:

Hi. I'm having some trouble with RSS. It pretty much doesn't work at all. All the planets stay as-is and don't scale up/change. All mods and dependencies are up to date and installed correctly. 

Here's a log

Hey mate, I'm not able to access the log (not sure I would know what I'm looking at anyway lol :P. But check that you have kopernicus and module manager installed. The latest RSS version, has these included in the ZIP download. 

Check that you have copied the all files to the correct folder.

Also you NEED to download the texture files. They are available on the front page of the RSS thread. If you have not installed these the game will not load or not work.

Start with a clean install and then install RSS, check it works before adding additional mods :)

Hope this helps :)

25 minutes ago, spacetackle said:

Hey mate, I'm not able to access the log (not sure I would know what I'm looking at anyway lol :P. But check that you have kopernicus and module manager installed. The latest RSS version, has these included in the ZIP download. 

Check that you have copied the all files to the correct folder.

Also you NEED to download the texture files. They are available on the front page of the RSS thread. If you have not installed these the game will not load or not work.

Start with a clean install and then install RSS, check it works before adding additional mods :)

Hope this helps :)

I've already tried running RSS and it's dependencies all alone, which is what the log is from. All mods are up to date and all dependencies are installed.

On 7/12/2016 at 5:51 AM, Hysterrics said:

I've already tried running RSS and it's dependencies all alone, which is what the log is from. All mods are up to date and all dependencies are installed.

Your log on Google drive is not marked for public access so I can't check what's in it but a minimum install of RSS would be:

GameData

->     Kopernicus

->    ModularFlightIntegrator

->    RealSolarSystem

->    RSS-Textures

->   ModuleManager.2.6.25.dll

Make sure you have the latest versions of each.

Edited by Aelfhe1m
fixing typos