[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

So that's avoidable?

You can avoid it for now by lowering atmosphereMultiplier. I think the default is 10 for Jool, I have it set to 0.13 which results in a much better behaved upper atmosphere.

metaphor: that is...good gracious, that is _most_ impressive. Kudos! (I notice you opted not to try with ~1hr light lag ;) )

BTW, how's the balance on the shields? Did they perform about right, were they too effective or not effective enough?

Thanks. I don't use RemoteTech with light lag because it doesn't have enough automation tools, so it would be impossible to do things which could actually be done by real-life probes (like autonomous rendezvous and docking). I tested the DRE shields before the mission, and they seemed to reach their limit in both temperature and g-force at around 14km/s entry speed into Earth's atmosphere, which I think is somewhat realistic? Although something like the Galileo probe would be impossible to make. And putting together multiple heat shields didn't make much difference because once the first one broke the next one would follow in a few seconds.

Greetings everyone! I have come upon a problem!

With all of these lovely, lovely mods, everything becomes laggy as hell...

Now, I'm okay with playing on 20 fps. I've raided WoW with 2 on my old machine. The stutters that happens every once in a while is something I've heard came from having many objects in space, which then is almost more or less unfixable if you want to play it big.

However, my problem lies mostly in the fact that as I play more on the same session, the lag becomes worse, more or less like a memory leak, but not quite, as a new launch seems to reset the problem somewhat.

I can take a rocket, and fire it into orbit. Then I lose connection, and I have to move around between my communication sattelites to do... let's say a burn towards the moon or something. And that's fine and dandy. It works, at least! But then I go back, and start my burn...

I hold shift. And I hold shift. And I hold shift. And after 15 seconds of holding shift, I'm at 10 % throttle. It's terrible. But okay, I can be patient. Then my trajectory gets close to where it should be, and I hold control. And I hold control. And I hold control. And after 15 seconds of holding control, I've cut 10 % of my throttle, and I'm now overshooting my target. Then I can panic and spam X, but then my throttle starts spazzing out, going between full throttle and 0 throttle at a dreadful rate and it's all quite unmanagable!

Do anyone have any idea what went wrong, and how I can fix this?

Also, my BobCat clouds plugin seems to have crashed permanently, but that's more of a visual hooray thingy. ^_^

I guess I should say this about the chart I linked:

How to read the chart:

Start from Earth and pick a target. The total delta-v needed to get to that target is the sum of the blue numbers on the way there (and back if you want to return to Earth). The red arrows represent aerobraking that you can use to save delta-v (in a single direction).

Delta-v represents the amount of "effort" used to reach a target orbit/body. As an estimate, to find the total mass of spacecraft needed to get somewhere, multiply the mass of your payload by 1.3 (high efficiency/hydrolox) or 1.45 (low efficiency/kerolox) for every km/s of delta-v needed.

For example, to get 10 tons from the Earth's surface to low Earth orbit, your rocket on the ground needs to be about 1.45^9 = 28 times bigger, or 280 tons. To get 10 tons from Mars's surface to low Mars orbit requires only 10 * 1.45^3.6 = a 38 ton rocket on the surface of Mars. A 10-ton high-efficiency spacecraft in low Earth orbit can put about 10 / ( 1.3^3.94 ) = 3.6 tons into low Moon orbit.

The Mars/Jupiter/Saturn/Neptune system insets show capture/escape directly from an Earth transfer orbit to the moons, and travel between the moons. It's sometimes more efficient to capture directly into a moon's orbit than to burn near the planet and then circularize.

Greetings everyone! I have come upon a problem!

With all of these lovely, lovely mods, everything becomes laggy as hell...

Now, I'm okay with playing on 20 fps. I've raided WoW with 2 on my old machine. The stutters that happens every once in a while is something I've heard came from having many objects in space, which then is almost more or less unfixable if you want to play it big.

However, my problem lies mostly in the fact that as I play more on the same session, the lag becomes worse, more or less like a memory leak, but not quite, as a new launch seems to reset the problem somewhat.

I can take a rocket, and fire it into orbit. Then I lose connection, and I have to move around between my communication sattelites to do... let's say a burn towards the moon or something. And that's fine and dandy. It works, at least! But then I go back, and start my burn...

I hold shift. And I hold shift. And I hold shift. And after 15 seconds of holding shift, I'm at 10 % throttle. It's terrible. But okay, I can be patient. Then my trajectory gets close to where it should be, and I hold control. And I hold control. And I hold control. And after 15 seconds of holding control, I've cut 10 % of my throttle, and I'm now overshooting my target. Then I can panic and spam X, but then my throttle starts spazzing out, going between full throttle and 0 throttle at a dreadful rate and it's all quite unmanagable!

Do anyone have any idea what went wrong, and how I can fix this?

Also, my BobCat clouds plugin seems to have crashed permanently, but that's more of a visual hooray thingy. ^_^

I assume you are using RemoteTech for the communication satellites? Perhaps it is some kind of bug with RemoteTech, you should try first to disable it and check if it still happens. You can disable it by just removing the RemoteTech plugin from the GameData folder, don't need to delete the parts.

Metaphor, that chart is awesome. Thanks for sharing it.

bug: ground level is out of whack.

my kerbals, and objects like the launch pad grate, and other things, are either hovering a kerbal foot above ground, or knee deep. when i start out, it's hovering. when i return via the space center, they're knee deep.

it's causing issues with swimming, meaning a kerbal on EVA in the water is sort of above it, not swimming, more like in a free-fall state and i can sort of move but it's very difficult and wacky. the worst part is, i can't go back to the space center since i'm supposedly in a free-fall state. the kerbal is lost or something. haven't tried anywhere else except kerbin yet. i've tried running RSS as the only mod, and also with the Realism Overhaul, and i'm still getting this. my computer can handle plenty of mods fine, so i don't think it's the computer. running ksp 0.22

thing#2: the orbit lines around the back of kerbin are visible and it's very confusing with several orbits.

both in stock ksp, and with RSS or RSS+RealismOverhaul, i noted that orbits lines behind kerbin become visible through the planet at exactly 45 mouse wheel scroll movements back. the only thing is, on stock ksp, at that point, kerbin is so tiny it doesn't matter. but with RSS, 45 back means kerbin is still huge (if you're in a 300km orbit for example). moreover, with RSS, when focused on kerbin, the lines are visible even when fully zoomed in.

Real Solar System is the best mod, in my opinion.

Humm... Did anyone else encounter the same problem? Buildings in Space Center and buttons in KSP Start Menu freezed every time I returned to Space Center. This problem happened sometimes before, and every time when playing in RSS and RO.

Humm... Did anyone else encounter the same problem? Buildings in Space Center and buttons in KSP Start Menu freezed every time I returned to Space Center. This problem happened sometimes before, and every time when playing in RSS and RO.

I only see that if my craft overheats during re-entry and explodes and I then exit to space center. (F9 avoids this fate)(I think reverting does too)

cubetronic: #1 is a known issue that I will try to deal with when I deal more with PQS after .23

#2 I will also look into; your finding that there's a specific level of zoom at which the orbit line switches is actually very helpful to me, and gives me a place to start investigating.

Cesrate: Known issue with KSP; Squad is fixing it. The workaround is to somehow load flight again (one was is to revert to VAB and then launch again, then revert again, or F9 as Starwaster says). Note that simply reverting is not enough; you need to reinitialize the camera by loading flight again. That's why ending flight, or reverting to VAB, won't work alone.

I assume you are using RemoteTech for the communication satellites? Perhaps it is some kind of bug with RemoteTech, you should try first to disable it and check if it still happens. You can disable it by just removing the RemoteTech plugin from the GameData folder, don't need to delete the parts.

Metaphor, that chart is awesome. Thanks for sharing it.

It was indeed the RT that caused the lag, which is a damn shame, since it really adds to the realism and difficulty... Thank you. :)

Anyone who know how to fix it, or shall I settle for being Remote-less? xD

It was indeed the RT that caused the lag, which is a damn shame, since it really adds to the realism and difficulty... Thank you. :)

Anyone who know how to fix it, or shall I settle for being Remote-less? xD

I use RT with RSS and had no problems, but I haven't enabled the light-speed delay, or its built-in flight computer. Try changing EnableSignalDelay to False in RemoteTech_Settings.cfg.

I noticed that my rover on the Moon tends bouncing over the surface as if something kicks it at its wheels upwards. I also noticed that it mainly happens on surfaces, placed at some angle to the horizon.

Go watch the movie Apollo 18.

The answer will become obvious.

Also you will never want to leave Kerbin ever again....

I think something is wrong with the epoch (which I thought was J2000) and/or ephemerides. Comparing the RSS solar system to Celestia, nothing matches up right, and also when I use NASA's trajectory browser from Earth to Jupiter, it's not remotely close to right.

Outer solar system (Pluto doesn't have orbit shown, but is labeled):

dm7qk01.png

szkGg4U.png

Uranus/Pluto looks about like 1950, but the rest of the solar system doesn't jive with that either.

NASA and Celestia agree with each other.

I think something is wrong with the epoch (which I thought was J2000) and/or ephemerides. Comparing the RSS solar system to Celestia, nothing matches up right, and also when I use NASA's trajectory browser from Earth to Jupiter, it's not remotely close to right.

Outer solar system (Pluto doesn't have orbit shown, but is labeled):

Uranus/Pluto looks about like 1950, but the rest of the solar system doesn't jive with that either.

NASA and Celestia agree with each other.

I checked his orbital elements, and they are correct, or at least the LAN, argument of periapsis, and MA at epoch match the J2000 elements, which would be what would severely affect the positions relative to one another. Also, it's impossible to see Earth in the Celestia screen cap. Rotate your KSP screen 180 degrees and check again, cause Mars/Duna, Jool/Jupiter, and Dres/Saturn all seem to be in relatively the right place.

Kerbin's elements don't match JPL's Solar System Dynamics elements, but only because the LAN isn't zero. The offset in ARG and LAN is the equal and opposite though, so the orbits should pretty much match. If Kerbin's inclination is zero, then the LAN, by definition, should also be zero.

"Kerbin" Earth

Ecc. 0.01671 0.01671

Inc. 0 ~0

Arg. 114.21 102.93

LAN 348.74 0

MA 357.51 357.51

5.2 has an issue, in that setting Mean Anomaly doesn't actually change anything (KSP reads it only on orbit initialization, and uses ObTAtEpoch ever after). I finally have that fixed for 5.3, which you can try here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmf25fyg35ju3ya/RealSolarSystem_v5_3.zip

and which I will be officially releasing tonight, probably.

Changelog is:

*Changed atmo editor to ALT-G

*Fixed Mean Anomaly to be Mean Anomaly at Epoch, fixed handling of it to actually work

*Added new root-of-config property Epoch, for setting starting date. Now, KSP year 0 is 1950. NOTE: If you have craft on transfer orbits, they may no longer be. Anything captured by a planet is fine though.

*Support enabling/disabling atmosphere

*Used metaphor's planet config changes

*Added ability to change science parameters for all bodies (thanks to Medieval Nerd)

*Fixed SOI not respecting minimums