[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

First: I have fixed the link for the 8192x4096 normal map. No renaming required, now.

Ralathon: Wow, that's interesting. Well, it sure proves the other PQSMods aren't configured right, because that's exactly what they should be producing.

SpacedInvader: No, I'm talking about the PQS. The PQS is the terrain and is a Untiy GameObject; as such it can have various components attached to it. PQSMods are components. Here is a list of all stock PQSs (as of .22) and their PQSMod components, with most of the stats of those PQSMods' members dumped. (Thanks to ZRM for this!)

There is no generic PQSMod. What I was talking about was a generic loader for configuring all PQSMod-dervied classes; the idea would be instead of modifying any given PQSMod by doing

PQSMod_foo
{
member_bar = newthingy
}

in the RSS cfg, which relies on RSS knowing about PQSMod_foo and having member_bar exposed so you can change it, you would fully specify the object (as they are in the dumps linked above) so you wouldn't need hard-coded RSS support for changing that particular mod's member for each mod and member.

This would mean, for example, that if you wanted to modify the PQSMods Minmus uses, you could just add all the ones it uses and change what you want, rather than waiting for me to add support for that member of that PQSMod to RSS.

So basically the 'universal' PQSMod configurer would mean that it could all be done in CFG without requiring any DLL changes.

metaphor: Sorry for delay! Glad you got it figured. Check out the component dump above. It should prove very useful.

Wasn't there an ingame terrain editor someone was working on awhile back? Seems something like that would assist in fixing the PQSMods because as it is right now you have to edit, run the game, exit and edit again. And rinse and repeat until your fingers are numb.

Initialize engine version: 4.2.0f4 (38efbd14869d)GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1

Direct3D:

Version: Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 9.18.13.1422]

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Vendor: NVIDIA

VRAM: 978 MB (via DXGI)

Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 DF24=0 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0

Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly

Platform assembly: D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain

- Completed reload, in 0.042 seconds

<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0

Platform assembly: D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)

Local BuildID: 333

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/cac08d8a5e25d4cb/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

ExecPath = D:/KSP_win/Launcher_Data\../KSP.exe

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/cac08d8a5e25d4cb/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Platform assembly: D:\KSP_win\Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)

SettingsPath: D:/KSP_win/Launcher_Data\../settings.cfg

BakPath: D:/KSP_win/Launcher_Data\settings.cfg.bak

Backup exists

Hi, from check patcher,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Checking patcher at https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore/dp/patcher/index.php

E5150 path: D:/KSP_win/Launcher_Data\E5150.cfg.bak

Loading Settings...

Last BuildID: 276

[updater] Server reports that Patcher has MD5 of 2de496fe5b6e2f26eff5f816fde5c8be

[updater] Our own copy of D:/KSP_win/Launcher_Data/../Patcher.exe has MD5 of 2de496fe5b6e2f26eff5f816fde5c8be

ALLOW UPDATE? False

Stats sent. Value: ENABLED

Here it is. Meanwhile I'll try to install mods one by one and see if that works. Thanks for your help btw :)

Ok, third post in a row, sorry about that.

Installing mods one by one (e.g. install - launch the game - install etc) seemed to have worked out, weirdly enough. So it wasn't really a problem with your mod in particular, sorry to bother you in the first place.

After spending some time looking over the PQS mod xml's and the revisiting the libnoise documentation, I'm thinking that the issue may reside in PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2. I'm trying would seem that that the deformity needs to be further exaggerated to increase the variation in vertex height imparted by the noise function. I'll have to do some testing on it when I get home (I'm currently out of town), but if someone else has time, maybe they can fiddle with it a little and post results?

I'm also looking forward to getting that generic loader in place as there are quite a few mods that you haven't exposed which might have interesting effects.

Guys, any idea why my custom KSC location (Baikonur Cosmodrome) doesn't seem to work? Aazard sent me the coords, its all ok, though, the KSC is below a floating sheet of grass... Also, no idea why Earth is half black? (In map mode it looks the same) http://imgur.com/a/9NAJm

Note: Yes, i do have active texture management installed

Guys, any idea why my custom KSC location (Baikonur Cosmodrome) doesn't seem to work? Aazard sent me the coords, its all ok, though, the KSC is below a floating sheet of grass... Also, no idea why Earth is half black? (In map mode it looks the same) http://imgur.com/a/9NAJm

Note: Yes, i do have active texture management installed

i think transparency has been reversed from clear to black, did you resize earth normal map from OP, if so this could be it, I PM'ed you my email, we can google chat and fix you up ASAP

anyone have the exact long/lat of Baikonur Cosmodrome? i sent him an estimate on last 3 digits of each (and managed to bury his KSC by a few meters)

in mean time try this location, its 100% working: (its in Russia, @ Plesetsk Cosmodrome, Site 16.... match your RT2 ground station long/lat to the same as the ones listed below also)

//Plesetsk Cosmodrome, Site 16

PQSCity

{

KEYname = KSC

//repositionRadial = 158200.0, -220.0, -570000.0

latitude = 62.957222

longitude = 40.695833

repositionRadiusOffset = 273 //42.7000007629395

repositionToSphereSurface = false

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

}

PQSMod_MapDecalTangent

{

//radius = 79637.5

radius = 5000 // KSP: 7500

heightMapDeformity = 80 // was 75

absoluteOffset = 220

absolute = true

latitude = 62.957222

longitude = 40.695833

}

(but russia and america are poor launch sites, i suggest French Guiana from Guiana Space Centre, ELA-3 or the one in india, i forget its name)

Edited by Guest

After spending some time looking over the PQS mod xml's and the revisiting the libnoise documentation, I'm thinking that the issue may reside in PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2. I'm trying would seem that that the deformity needs to be further exaggerated to increase the variation in vertex height imparted by the noise function. I'll have to do some testing on it when I get home (I'm currently out of town), but if someone else has time, maybe they can fiddle with it a little and post results?

I'm also looking forward to getting that generic loader in place as there are quite a few mods that you haven't exposed which might have interesting effects.

I'm starting to be skeptical of getting around this through increased deformity. Or at least JUST deformity.

There's also:

simplexHeightStart

simplexHeightEnd

Found the planet editor I was thinking of and have been experimenting with those values in realtime. No real results yet but you might want to try negative values of simplexHeightStart. I'm noticing for Duna that the scaled up radius is pulling terrain farther from 'sea level' than I remember. Lowest altitudes are a good 6km above sea level which would only serve to flatten it. Does that sound about right to you? Or am I coming down with the dumb?

Can you share that planet editor? Doing this work in real time sounds so much nicer than restarting the program over and over, even if I do have the test install as bare bones as possible and on a SSD...

Edited by SpacedInvader

I was wondering how you change the location of KSC. I'm trying to put it at Baikonur

Cosmodrome, which is at 45.9650, 63.3050. I went into RealSolarSystem.cfg and changed KSCs

coordinates to Baikonurs. And it did not work. It seems that it is somewhere diffrent

(I don't see any water) but i don't see KSC. Just some grass. What am i supposed to do?

I did:

KEYname = KSC

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

// Cape

latitude = 28.608389

longitude = -80.604333

repositionRadiusOffset = 53 //42.7000007629395

and changed it to:

KEYname = KSC

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

// Cape

latitude = 45.9650

longitude = 63.3050

Anyone knows where to get the stock heightmaps for KSP bodies? Since editing the heightmap for duna is giving me some serious deformations (If I use a checkerboard matrix at least).

That looks like the result I got when I multiplied all of the values for the Mun by 10 originally. I think it's the result of too high a number in either the noise frequency of simplex height persistence.

That looks like the result I got when I multiplied all of the values for the Mun by 10 originally. I think it's the result of too high a number in either the noise frequency of simplex height persistence.

Nah, it's because I replaced the heightmap of Duna with a 8192x4096 matrix of this:

FtoY2BX.png

to test if I could replace the heightmap for different bodies. Evidentially I can, so I'm now looking for the stock Duna heightmap so I can add some random noise for better quality mountains.

Link to planet editor I mentioned. Lets you make PQS changes and see results in real time. Have to click update button to see the changes. Click save and it saves them in a custom.cfg file that you could copy over to RSS's cfg. (I'd delete the custom.cfg after you get what you want since the purpose is RSS efiting)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68619-Plugin-WIP-KittopiaTech-ingame-planetary-editing-tools-V0-076?highlight=Planet+editor

I was wondering how you change the location of KSC. I'm trying to put it at Baikonur

Cosmodrome, which is at 45.9650, 63.3050. I went into RealSolarSystem.cfg and changed KSCs

coordinates to Baikonurs. And it did not work. It seems that it is somewhere diffrent

(I don't see any water) but i don't see KSC. Just some grass. What am i supposed to do?

I did:

KEYname = KSC

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

// Cape

latitude = 28.608389

longitude = -80.604333

and changed it to:

KEYname = KSC

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

// Cape

latitude = 45.9650

longitude = 63.3050

Huh, good to know im not alone :(

Is it underground? Like if you move the camera, can you see it? If you figure it out, let me know!

Edited by SlimeCrusher
Forget to "reply with quote" lol

Huh, good to know im not alone :(

Is it underground? Like if you move the camera, can you see it? If you figure it out, let me know!

I'm trying to figure this out too. I only need to move it about 500m to the right lol. I'm either all aligned perfect but the end of the runway is on the left hand of the Canaveral peninsular or it's where I want it with a square of ocean underneath like yours...

Well now this is ridiculous, i start a new save (Or just load a previously created save), and it just warps me to the MIDDLE of kerbin... Yes it just takes me to the original location of the KSC, and because this mod scales the planets up, that location is buried kilometers underground... Yea, any ideas? It worked fine the first time... I tried re-downloading, all the same, without even changing any location...

If you want i can post images...

Well now this is ridiculous, i start a new save (Or just load a previously created save), and it just warps me to the MIDDLE of kerbin... Yes it just takes me to the original location of the KSC, and because this mod scales the planets up, that location is buried kilometers underground... Yea, any ideas? It worked fine the first time... I tried re-downloading, all the same, without even changing any location...

If you want i can post images...

What I will say is that since the update I've had to refresh my install twice. Once because of a random krakken that blew up the first ship I loaded no matter where (Same mod list I'm running now btw). Second time because apparently I was running out of memory... Loaded fine one evening. Next afternoon wouldn't load due to memory issue... Same install, same mod list, no new add on's or tweaks plain just didn't work. So I copied the entire game data folder to a new install and it works perfectly... I had the sense to make a mirror of the original virgin download of 23.5 just for events like this and I urge everyone to do the same.

I suggest you do the same slime. New download. Make a new unplayed mirror of virgin KSP and your mods in case of krakken attacks... It might work it might not but at least you will have a full clean install and back ups.

I have been noticing occasional memory leaks since moving to 0.23.5. In one instance, the leak expanded to fill all 16GB of memory on my system even though the KSP process only reported 3.1GB. Restarting the game released all of the extra memory, but I'd not seen something like that in years.

DarthVader: Ferram made the PSLV (as the text above the pics mentions). He used Stretchy SRBs/tanks, procedural fairings, and standard, his own, and blackheart612's textures for them. He probably also custom-made the liquid fuel engine's stats for the job (I can't make out which engine it is).

The AJ260s are also Stretchy SRBs.

To those having problems moving KSC: If it appears under ground, you need to either fuss with the radius offset, or set repositionToSphereSurface = true.

Ralathon: if you're doing this for RSS proper, you should use Mars's real heightmap anyway. :)

But if you want Duna's, kind of a problem, in that that's a non-GameData asset (and thus we'd be extracting it out of the procected Assets files). As a workaround, create a new RSS CFG that only features Duna, and inside only an Export node (copy from Kerbin's, change fooExport to Export); also disable oceans in the node. Then you can set desired resolution and max/min heights (guess?) and you'll get a height map export based off the combination of the original heightmap and all Duna's original PQSMods. You'll also get a color map.