Kerbin is gone. But what about your kerbonauts?

NASAFanboy

Many Kerbals assume that once Kerbin is gone, it's gone, along with the extinction of the Kerbal Race.

But, they seem to forget that at any given moment, they have a hard-working space agency dreaming about colonies.

So is it really their extinction?

Let's say..suddenly, Kerbin is hit by a massive space rock that kills off all civilization on the planet, but leaving all the spacestations untouched.

Now, the Kerbal race is completely limited to Kerbal spacestations, and scattered outposts in the solar system. How many Kerbals are still alive? Can they return to Kerbin, survive with their technology, and institute a mass-breeding program that will recover the race in a few generations?

Or will they be stuck on a station, without food, air, water, or any hopes of a resupply mission. Will they run insane? Will they blow up half the Joolian system?

Just wondering.

As for me..

I have three Kerbals in "Duna Base One", two small habitat hooked up to two rovers, as part of a colonization mission (And the first manned mission to Duna). They have three Kerbin-Return Vehicle with interplanetary capability, but it would be best if they didn't use it, plus a large greenhouse.

Meanwhile, Jebediah is alone in a military spacestation.

Verdict: No survival for Jeb. Duna Base One might last.

Edited by NASAFanboy

Well, provided that at least 1 outpost, base, or space station with 2 or more kerbals has an escape ship for two that has enough fuel to enter Kerbin's atmosphere and safely land on Kerbin, probably.

But this does raise the question, how do Kerbins reproduce? Do Kerbins have genders at all? Do they even need 2 to reproduce?

In either of my two Career Mode saves: Yep, kerbality is extinct. Haven't really done much with permanent crewed outposts in either of these.

In my Sandbox ported over from 0.21: Jebediah and two others survive on Overwatch Station in LKO, assuming the disaster doesn't totally destroy the planet itself. Bill and two others survive in my Munbase as well. Long-term survival of the species looks grim, but all six can return to Kerbin's surface once the dust settles if they're well-stocked, so they'd better hope that at least one of them is actually female under that spacesuit.

The ultimate goal of Kerbal space exploration,that can currently be done with mods, will eventually be the ability to establish self sustaining colonies on other worlds and moons. That would give the Kerbals the ability to survive a Kerban extinction event. Those are Ketane mining of fuel, greenhouse pods for food, and eventually mining of other resources to build rockets and expand those colonies on the other worlds.

The ultimate goal of Kerbal space exploration,that can currently be done with mods, will eventually be the ability to establish self sustaining colonies on other worlds and moons. That would give the Kerbals the ability to survive a Kerban extinction event. Those are Ketane mining of fuel, greenhouse pods for food, and eventually mining of other resources to build rockets and expand those colonies on the other worlds.

?

It can be done on Stock. I've managed to build makeshift greenhouses in stock, things that look like mining drills, and have built a space center on the Mun in 0.21.

But this does raise the question, how do Kerbins reproduce? Do Kerbins have genders at all? Do they even need 2 to reproduce?

Oh, don't worry about that: I always like to think that Kerbals are plant-like creatures, in that they can use photosynthesis to sustain themselves, and when they die in a puff of smoke, it's actually a puff of spores ready to scatter around and produce new Kerbals!

Oh, don't worry about that: I always like to think that Kerbals are plant-like creatures, in that they can use photosynthesis to sustain themselves, and when they die in a puff of smoke, it's actually a puff of spores ready to scatter around and produce new Kerbals!

That would explain why there are so many willing to keep coming back and sign up with the space program...

?

It can be done on Stock. I've managed to build makeshift greenhouses in stock, things that look like mining drills, and have built a space center on the Mun in 0.21.

Stock has no ability to grow or use food, nor mine or use minerals, nor operate any space centers other than KSC on Kerbin. Did you mean to say that you can pretend on Stock?

My Sandbox save has 4 Kerbals on a Space station in LKO, which has enough fuel to completely refuel the 4 KermaJets docked to it at least twice. If one of the Kerbals is Female, repopulation is possible. Unknown if the KJ120 fleet can make it to Laythe though. The station has engines, albeit inefficient rockomax radials.

I currently have 7 kerbals in orbit around Kerbin in my space station. There are also 2 on my Mun base. In an emergency situation (i.e the cataclysm of Kerbin) the members on the space station get into the escape pod and go to the Mun base, though all interplanetary travel grinds to a halt.

So far in my latest save, I only have a single colony, which is on Eve. No way those guys are getting back. The have a rover, Habitation, science lab and power generation. I'll probably be sending more modules at some point, and maybe more colonists - 3 Kerbals is a little lonely.

In my old save I had about 50 Kerbals all over the place, and ridiculous amounts of fuel in fuel depots all over the place.

I'm not certain though if I had a ship capable of returning to Kerbin (no parachutes) - if I did I might be able to return 3 Kerbals.

I've got 12 Kerbals locked up in Harmony Station, but I only have two spaceplanes to bring them down so it will be a slow start back on Kerbin. Or they will crash in my poorly designed planes and kerbal kind will be done for. It could go either way really.

In my 0.21 sandbox save i have a huge pc-killer LKO station with space for 15+ Kerbs, plus colonies in Mun, Minmus, Duna and Eve. The only problem would be transportation between them, without KSC for new missions they would be incommunicated, except for the ones in the LKO station, which has some escape pods that can make it to Mun.

In the 0.22 career save however, it would be total annihilation of the Kerbalkind, except for the poor souls i have scattered around the Kerbolar system in permament manned science rovers (permanent cos there is no intention to bring'em back any time soon lol)

in my 0.21 save, they'll be fine. A fully fuctional gilly base/station with shuttles to an eve station and kerbin

I've colinized the duna system and the kerbin system with 2 stations around the mun/kerbin and one manned and one probe station around minmus

That's a total of 67 kerbals counting my 4 mun bases and my minmus base.

Plus the 30 odd in the joolen system and 3 exploring dres.

In my 0.22 carrer save, i've got 1 orbiting duna and 2 on the manned science rover and 3 in mah kerbin station.

I have a very large space station orbiting the sun with a very fair amount of kerbals on it. Around 15-20. With enough fuel to reach Eeloo. There is only two escape pods, only one kerbal can go in each. My guess I would take the 2 best kerbals from the station, get a orbit around laythe, use the escape pods to flee to laythe, and begin life there. They would then send the escape pods back up (They are unmanned aswell) dock with the station, refuel the escape pods, and repeat.

I have a crippled supply (2 halves of it...) ship in a low Munar Orbit, loaded with 10 Kerbals, and a huge assortment of probes, satellites, comms equipment, rovers, 2 "Humvee" type vehicles, a VTOL lander, and 2 normal landers, and a rocket launcher truck (pretty much one of those things they use to launch missiles, but with someone inside it! :P dont ask me why i brought it!)

It's all floating around in a huge debris field, and some of it is damaged or completely destroyed, but i think i could salvage enough of it to start a Munar colony. that was why i sent the ship to the Mun in the first place :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.