Kerbin is gone. But what about your kerbonauts?

NASAFanboy

If my LKO space station was to survive the impact, I could get about 40-50 up there. Then there is the Mun station, I could get 10-15 in there. And Jeb and Bill are currently orbiting Duna ready to dock back to their mothership, so them two would survive as well. In total, around 67 kerbals at max could survive. That's if my space station survived...

My LKO station is made up in the majority by many large landers. If it were to survive a cataclysmic event, they could be undocked and sent to all of the different planets to attempt repopulation.

The Committee for Sustainability, a one man panel, chaired by Bill, determined this plan gave the highest chance of success. With little being known of the long term effects of living on the other planets, trying them all seems the best bet.

• 2 weeks later...

At this exact moment, Jeb would be stuck in a station core slated for de-orbiting, alone. It's an observation module/RCS tug. he might have enough monopropellant to make it to the Mun, or maybe Minmus. Either way, one kerbal is pretty screwed, though this is Jeb we're talking about. In a few weeks, maybe when I get some frickin downtime!, (school, Y U do dis to me!), many more would live as I'll b departing a Lathe mission at the first transfer window after I complete my orbital shipyard (which is currently waiting on UbioZur to update the welding plugin for .23 compatibility).

I've got more kerbals in orbit in my career save than ever before. This is because my stations include not only a pilot but also 2 scientists in the lab. I've also been making a habit of putting on a storage can to make crew transfers easier, and putting a spare kerbal in there just in case. So my stations each have at least 4 kerbals at a time, and can hold up to 7. I bring a kerbal on the ships that dock at the stations to refuel, because we need those ever-so-important EVA reports and soil samples. So once I finish launching everything, I'll have some 25+ kerbals in space in the Kerbin system alone, not counting all of the kerbals I'm sure to have sitting around on the Mün or Minmus.

This gets a lot more challenging with the life support mods :)

I have 7 Kerbals in a Mun Orbit industry station, also known as my "Dusty Drydock", where I assemble my interplanetary ships and top off the tanks before heading out. Bill and Wherner (I think?) are on the Munar surface in the K-Fairy (kethane hauler). There's enough life support to keep that station running for about 14 months assuming there are no resupply flights. After that, unless they resort to kannibalism, they're doomed.

Jeb and Bob are both on the RSI Lawndart - an interplanetary colony ship about 1 week out on it's way to Duna. They don't have enough fuel for a return trip unless they deploy their emergency kethane lander and fuel processor for a few days worth of processing to refill. The ship has about 20 years worth of life support and I'm messing around with renewables for all of it, since the colony is actually a lot bigger. They have 16 more kerbals with them (proxies) in cryo-chambers. (anyone remember Eterno-Rest 2000? I remixed them as cryo-tubes for my game. Just up the electric charge draw, then use dark and evil voodoo to add them to the station/base when I shut the unit down).

I think Bill and the drydock crew are out of luck unless they get on their way to Duna before my window closes, but if they don't it's not the end. The Duna colony can be fully self sufficient and there is enough space for 26 kerbals on that colony ship, which will have 18 members when they all wake up. Bad side - I don't use any resource mods other than life support / kethane, so no ore mining or extraplanetary launchpads.

Edited by Barklight

I've got nine kerbals in orbit around Duna. Three in a interplanetary ship that's composed of a Duna lander, interplanetary tug/hitchhiker can middle segment, then a return capsule. The other six are in a station that's based around two hitchhiker cans with escape capsules for all six. I could land all of them safely on Duna with ease. With some creative re-docking, I might be able to get the station's hitchhikers free of the station and attached to the interplanetary tug, make it to Laythe.

If I had just a bit of warning of Kerbin's demise, I've got two empty stations in orbit there, one a fuel depot that could hold four kerbals and another proof-of-concept station that I haven't had the heart to deorbit, that could hold another eight.

18 Kerbals survive in The IKSS (International Kerbal Space Station) with heat radiators, solar pannels, batteries that could last forever, Carbon Extractors, Water purifiers... Well, i think that the IKSS could survive a lot of stuff..

In career mode!

Edited by O Nerd

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.