[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Tried KJR v2.3 and something very strange happened. I build a ship, flew into orbit, hit F5 and after some unsuccessful manoeuvring, I reloaded the save. My ship disintegrated into pieces which all flew at incredible speeds. I don't know how that happened but good thing I had a backup of my saves to restore it. Seems to be okey now??

That's happened to me too. But it sometimes has happened in stock with no mods too. Sometimes it does that, other times it just doesn't.

So i'm wondering if you could help me on this:

swqzgue.png

I'm using a bunch of realism mods, so the fuel tanks i use are often very big, meaning weaker connections. The biggest tank on this rocket is about 4 meters. It happens just after the KJR physics load.

Do you know of any (possibly experimental) settings i can change for even better connections? Since use real fuels, each engine needs two connected tanks, which seems to be a problem. Any ideas?

Why does each engine need two connected tanks? Each tank can hold multiple resources with Real Fuels, you shouldn't need two tanks for fuel and oxidizer.

I'm diagnosing a combination of unsound design, overuse of struts and launch clamps leading to very large forces on the pad. The stock v2.3 settings are enough to make this rocket stable, and that's a lot more than what you're looking at doing, so you don't need to change the settings.

This might be a silly question but does this work with 23.5?

Craft that were perfectly rigid with KJR installed in 23 flex like they are made of rubber on 23.5 without KJR.

I'm really not impressed with squad's new joint system, If I put this on 23.5 would my craft go back to their rigid handling?

This might be a silly question but does this work with 23.5?

Craft that were perfectly rigid with KJR installed in 23 flex like they are made of rubber on 23.5 without KJR.

I'm really not impressed with squad's new joint system, If I put this on 23.5 would my craft go back to their rigid handling?

You might wish to update your mods, if you use any (NovaPunch was affected by this - fixed now; KW shouldn't be affected, at least with radial connections; AIES is affected, use with caution)

You might wish to update your mods, if you use any (NovaPunch was affected by this - fixed now; KW shouldn't be affected, at least with radial connections; AIES is affected, use with caution)

Thanks for the reply, does that mean that craft shouldn't flex like that with squad's new joint system?

The only parts mod I'm using on 23.5 is KW Rocketry, the rest are mostly visual mods and as far as I know all mods are up to date.

Thanks for the reply, does that mean that craft shouldn't flex like that with squad's new joint system?

The only parts mod I'm using on 23.5 is KW Rocketry, the rest are mostly visual mods and as far as I know all mods are up to date.

They shouldn't, if they were built good. Things like massive side boosters and 50-ton landers sitting on a tiny decoupler needs to be strutted, though.

Can you post a picture of your wobblying craft?

They shouldn't, if they were built good. Things like massive side boosters and 50-ton landers sitting on a tiny decoupler needs to be strutted, though.

Can you post a picture of your wobblying craft?

sure, sorry it's a bit dark

just a simple orbiter/lander can still attached to the launch stage.

R183PYD.png

I would expect a small amount of flex but when turning it really looks like the whole thing is made of rubber :huh:

IIRC, KW fuel tanks has their attachment node sizes set correctly, so they should benefit from new joints. I'm not sure about fairing bases, though (I use Procedural Fairings). Also, is that 0.625m connection between lander and orbiter? Strut it if you haven't - that would help.

IIRC, KW fuel tanks has their attachment node sizes set correctly, so they should benefit from new joints. I'm not sure about fairing bases, though (I use Procedural Fairings). Also, is that 0.625m connection between lander and orbiter? Strut it if you haven't - that would help.

Thanks, I'll ask on the KW Rocketry thread if anyone has noticed issues with the fairing bases.

yes it is 0.625m, I'll take your advice and strut that.

I'm still unsure about whether to use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement with 0.23.5, does it make a difference now the joints have changed?

thanks for your help Biohazard15

Hello, I'm having some large issues with KJR and pWings, they are flexing more than rubber, doesn't matter what size I make them, or where I put them, happens in all crafts after I take off. I got redirected here because Nathan said it might be something to do with KJR. I really need a fix, not sure if other people are having the same issue, because I can literally make nothing that flies with it, even the tiniest of tiniest of airplanes just flex too much to control.

Do they flex more than the stock wings? KJR purposefully ignores pWings because it always made them worse, due to an order-of-operations thing going on with pWings resizing. You'll simply have to use struts, I'm afraid.

Edit: Actually, try this:

Go into KJR's config.xml and find the line that excludes "WingManipulator." Delete that, and renumber all the other lines so that the exclusions start at 0 and increase sequentially. See if that helps.

Edited by ferram4

Yes, they do and struts do literally nothing, even cheat struts, hell even the FuelPipes that are godlike (from KAS) don't do nothin'. I'll try to edit it and come back with results.

Edit: The exclusions are already at 0-7. Nothing to change there. Let's see how that works.

Edited by Andrezado

I mean, take this:

<string name="exemptModuleType0">WingManipulator</string>
<string name="exemptModuleType1">SingleGroupMan</string>
<string name="exemptModuleType2">KerbalEVA</string>

And replace it with this:

<string name="exemptModuleType0">SingleGroupMan</string>
<string name="exemptModuleType1">KerbalEVA</string>

So the final solution is that my game copy is cursed or something then, because no one knows what the hell is going on. Gonna call the exorcist.

Edit: Seriously though, I've tried to play in a fresh copy of the game= only FAR, KJR, pWings, and B9 and its fixes. It didn't flex NEARLY as much, it was way less, but still a little derpy. Maybe it's a mod incompatibiliy or something like that, gonna see if I can find the mod that is doing that.

Edited by Andrezado

So the final solution is that my game copy is cursed or something then, because no one knows what the hell is going on. Gonna call the exorcist.

Edit: Seriously though, I've tried to play in a fresh copy of the game= only FAR, KJR, pWings, and B9 and its fixes. It didn't flex NEARLY as much, it was way less, but still a little derpy. Maybe it's a mod incompatibiliy or something like that, gonna see if I can find the mod that is doing that.

Well what mods did you play without that you were using before?

Also did you check output_log.txt for any errors happening after switching to flight mode when you launch that plane?

Nope, didn't check. And I only had FAR, B9 KJR and pWings as I've said.

Edit: I started a new fresh install. No outdated mods at all. And they still wobble like rubber. What mod is doing that, I wonder.

Edited by Andrezado

@Jupiter02: Well, if he was using a 0.23.5 only version on 0.23, it's not a bug, it's a lack of backwards compatibility. And there's no way to maintain compatibility across the 0.23-0.23.5 joint fixes.