[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

I have had this EXACT same scenario with a rocket about half the length of the one shown in LameLefty's image.

I did NOT revert back to v1.7; I'm still using the experimental v2.0.2. I was able to control the craft by limiting acceleration to 3m/s (which is VERY limiting). However, I can confirm that the ship DOES bend almost into a U-shape. That's not an exaggeration: the drive stage could've hit the hab stage.

Looking at your name, I would almost say it was intended. (The irony! :D)

\I tested with LameLefty's ship and it's solid as a rock in the latest dev version.

That's good to know! I haven't done a lot of KSP this past week, so I've been sticking with 1.7; I started doing some experiments ripping stuff apart with KAS in my Sandbox test save and, well ... I got distracted by all the explosions. :D

So I have been having an issue with dev build 2 and I THINK I have it narrowed down to the breakTorquePerMOI setting. On launch I get halfway through my first stage and the solar panels, interstage fairings, and remotetech dish explodes out of nowhere. I have Deadly Reentry and it begins playing the 'g-force damage sound' several times and then it blows up. Not all of them but several and it is different everytime which ones it is. The flight log says it is due to g-force damage. But looking at the maximum G's reached during flight it reads 2.2. It doesn't happen every launch either but is very random.

I thought it was DRE at first, but I have had the same version of that for a while and no problems. The only thing new is this dev build of KJR. I changed the breakTorquePerMOI setting to 1 and it seems to have fixed the issue so far. It usually happened at least every other launch but I haven't had it happen since, yet.

If it helps, I can post my log. It's the output_log in KSP_data right? I looked through it but couldn't find anything meaningful to me.

Changing breakTorqueperMOI shouldn't affect that; the affected parts should be breaking off instead of remaining attached. If that hasn't been happening, then it's probably the very high angular drive values, which I've backed off in the latest private version. And to my knowledge, DRE uses the acceleration on the part, not the acceleration of the ship as a whole for determining g-force damage, so that just means that it was jittery.

Hmmm interesting. Now that you mention jitteriness, I did notice the entire ship vibrating minutely while on the launch pad. I should have mentioned that I have RSS as well. Which causes all kinds of weirdness from time to time. However, the shaking is likely from that angular drive you mentioned since I've never seen it do that before. I'll play with the angular drive settings and see what works. Got a suggestion for a decent value?

Also, whatever you did for the physics stabilization on loading the vessel has helped immensely. Used to be that I would need to reload my RSS launch vehicles two or three times before the physics let it live. The latest dev version has removed ALL of that.

(...)jitteriness, I did notice the entire ship vibrating minutely while on the launch pad. (...) I've never seen it do that before.

I have seen it many times, including "dancing" engines (they dance around the launchpad by themselves), and also a "walking eve lander" (with a Kerbal in EVA even ! i had to run after my ship ! :D ), all this with previous versions, so i think it's not new or specific to v2.

Hey just something I have noticed with KJR when ever I have something that I have turned inside the rocket if the part lets say a wing extended into another tank the ship will explode apart. I removed the KJR mod and no more explodedness, I do use clipping alot and a lot of the times my spaceplanes return into parts on the runway.

I've found that on 1.7, the FASA Launch Tower violently throws whatever it's attached to. The rest of the new clamps is fine, though. Could you take a look at it?

@Elthy: Yep, it should. It's just another part, just like any other.

@Surefoot: Probably highly-stressed joints. We'll see if it still occurs when I get v2.0 out.

@Damaske: You had a part that broke off and the part clipping caused things to explode. Yeah, part clipping causes bad things to happen.

@Dragon01: I can look at that. I'm going to guess it has something to do with the mass of the the thing compared to the part it's connected to.

Yeah, just go back to v1.7 until I get v2.0 fully worked-out. It only needs some polishing and then I'll release it. I tested with LameLefty's ship and it's solid as a rock in the latest dev version.

I did this and behavior has returned to normal.

Obviously, I have nothing negative to say about the mod; you do the game a great service... just hoping to offer useful feedback.

Can someone explain me how to increase the strenght of the connections? I'm planning a big IRL-like mission and even with KJR it wobbles a lot.

Pictures would help... KJR allows you to build less-than-optimal designs (from the POV of the base game) and expands the envelope (again, from the POV of the base game), but it can't work miracles and it does have limits. Nor does it always allow you to get away with no struts even with an optimal design or far from the edges of the envelope.

1.7 lagged a lot.. And i mean A LOT! 4-8 mins. when launching and 2 mins lag when doing early stages. The experimental and 1.6 doesn't do this, but the 2.xxx version kills my crew by G-limit both on Kerbin (even on launch pad!) & in space. Weird!

The only fix for the G problem in the experimental I've found so far is to disable deadly reentry's G-force by putting the gToleranceMult to some ridiculously high number. Strangely, changing the angularDrive and linearDrive values hasn't helped me at all.

x2 is the only one that works for me however. So it's worth it to have a craft that doesn't explode on the launch pad.

EDIT: You would have to change crew tolerance numbers in the cfg as well I imagine.

Edited by Chronothan

I'm still getting this bug that causes my camera to freeze in place and my ship to keep going -__-

xRsPhDW.png

Also my massive (long) ships get magic torque applied to them, I can move my apoapsis with this

Edited by Boamere

I need to thank you, Ferram, for this station would never have even been considered before this mod came to be.

I made a prototype in Kerbin Orbit then sent another one in Munar orbit. Those arms would have been prohibitively wobbly with all the ships connected to it...

3XielRr.png

@Boamere: I have not been able to reproduce your issue using just KJR. I suspect it is another mod; uninstall them one by one until you find the issue. As KJR does not change the CoM of any parts under any circumstances, nor does it cause any exceptions during loading that could cause this issue, KJR is incapable of causing that issue. You will have to ensure that your mods are up-to-date and that you have followed all the instructions to the letter installing them / updating them. I cannot help you with this.

@hippomormor: You probably have a ship with a very large number of stretchy tanks and decouplers. There was demand for super extra stiffening for stretchy tanks, and the lag in v1.7 is the result of the physics calculations necessary for that.

Part of the g-force issues with the experimentals is the issues involved in starting up the simulation and the fact that DR doesn't wait a bit after loading before checking g-forces.

@Boamere: I have not been able to reproduce your issue using just KJR. I suspect it is another mod; uninstall them one by one until you find the issue. As KJR does not change the CoM of any parts under any circumstances, nor does it cause any exceptions during loading that could cause this issue, KJR is incapable of causing that issue. You will have to ensure that your mods are up-to-date and that you have followed all the instructions to the letter installing them / updating them. I cannot help you with this.

@hippomormor: You probably have a ship with a very large number of stretchy tanks and decouplers. There was demand for super extra stiffening for stretchy tanks, and the lag in v1.7 is the result of the physics calculations necessary for that.

Part of the g-force issues with the experimentals is the issues involved in starting up the simulation and the fact that DR doesn't wait a bit after loading before checking g-forces.

Ah nevermind I can deal with it :D

That's correct! I use both DR and have a lot of stretchy tanks. The experimental works awesome though.. Except for the "killing my crew" part ;) Wouldn't this be fixable in collaboration with DR's maintainer?

Thanks for a great mod! This mod is VITAL! :)

Hi Ferram4, First just wanted to say love your FAR mod, make the game so much better.

I've been having a problem with G-Max from the Deadly Reentry mod when using your KJR mod together. List of mods i'm using:

I have 000_Toolbar, B9_Arospace, BoulderCo, DeadlyReentry, EnhancedNavBall, ExsurgentEngineering,FerramArrospaceResurch, Firesplitter, HexCans, KAS, KerbalJointReinforcment, Kethane, KineTechAnimation, KWRocketry, MagicSmokeIndustrys, NavyFish, ResGen, SH_Mods, Squad (Duh), ThunderAerospace, TreeLoader, VNG, and WarpPlugin in my Game Data Folder.

I thought erroneously that the problem lie with TAC Life-support, but now believe the problem to be in how KJR, FAR, and different mod parts (B9, KWR, ect.) interact because I removed and re-installed each, and the problem only exists with KJR enabled in conjunction with the other stated mods (with the exception of removing all adding part mods -B9, KWR, ect.-). I believe that the inherent oscillating nature of the craft that is suppressed due to KJR is the culprit. Deadly reentry detects the suppressed oscillations (that increase with acceleration) and views this "suppressed" G's sustained from the individual parts as actual G's instead of the whole spacecraft. This the mod detects, which leads to G-Max being reached, even though it should not under such little stress to the rocket and occupants.

For example, traveling at less than 20/mps^2 acceleration with less than 3G's at about 1km for 10ish seconds will equate G-Max being reached.

7MtBmHg.jpg

jk9JO48.jpg

1TEltHw.jpg

Edited by First Victor
Changed a number that was wrong, included forgotten mod

Make sure that you're using Deadly Reentry Continued v4.3 instead of the old Deadly Reentry v2.0. If that doesn't fix your issue there's really not much that I can do, since I haven't run into this issue since many DRC updates ago.