[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

I was trying to use the experimental 2.0 version of KJR and this stack here was bending around, literally like a noodle. It's a long, ungainly stack of modules docked to one another with Senior Docking ports that I'm decelerating into orbit around Jool to setup a Laythe encounter, where it will be disassembled and landed onto the surface piece by piece. At any rate, the 2.0 version of KJR turned this stack into something very similar in dynamics to the a child's foam noodle pool toy. Reverting to the 1.7 version (and reverting to my last quick save!) behaved properly. The stack was nice and rigid, just as it has been all along since I built it and launched it a couple weeks ago (using version 1.4 of KJR, I think).

I regret that I didn't take a screenshot of the stack bent into a U-shape; it was quite amazing, honestly.

screenshot235_zps0f366375.png

Castun: Access Denied.

Oops sorry, forgot to change access settings. Try again. :)

EDIT: Unsure how to allow previewing it, it lets me preview it when I click on it from my Drive folder, but not when clicking the shared link.

Edited by Castun

Alright, I've uploaded the v2.0x2 experimental which should tighten things up a bit more while also allowing a slightly smoother physics initialization. Due to what it does when it initializes physics, watch for weird things happening on crafts the are landed on other bodies, especially a few degrees off the equator, since there might be bugs in the Coriolis force calculations. Hopefully things will be much less wobbly this time around.

@Castun: Okay, I'm going to need a bit more information: what mods are you running, what versions are they, and what is the simplest craft that can cause this error? Does it occur if you save and launch a lone pod? The error is being caused in a relatively large function and I'd like some more info so I can narrow it down further.

@LameLefty: Would you be so kind as to try the new experimental with that craft and see how it handles? Also, would you be kind enough to post the save file with a list of required mods for that craft? I need a good, potentially wobbly test subject to balance out my RSS giant launch vehicle tests.

@LameLefty: Would you be so kind as to try the new experimental with that craft and see how it handles? Also, would you be kind enough to post the save file with a list of required mods for that craft? I need a good, potentially wobbly test subject to balance out my RSS giant launch vehicle tests.

I would love to but after I reinstalled v1.7, I went ahead and finished my mission. My stack has now been parked in orbit around Laythe and mostly disassembled. I might be able to retrieve a backup of the required save file from my Time Machine volume. Lemme see what I can dig up. I'll post it to DropBox and let you know. I'll edit this post with a link. FWIW, version 1.7 worked very well.

EDITED TO ADD:

Okay: here is the persistence file for my save. The giant stack is called "Laythe Colony Transport" and in this version, it's a few days out from the Jool SOI. I think the only part mods necessary for the .craft are Aviation Lights and MechJeb2. I had the 2.0 experimental available when I tried to do a burn around around Jool and the stack literally bent into a U shape. I've never posted a save file before so I hope this works/helps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2197738/persistent.sfs

Edited by LameLefty

@Castun: Okay, I'm going to need a bit more information: what mods are you running, what versions are they, and what is the simplest craft that can cause this error? Does it occur if you save and launch a lone pod? The error is being caused in a relatively large function and I'd like some more info so I can narrow it down further.

Oy, OK I'll do my best here to list everything I have running:

• 6S Service Compartments v1.1
    Aviation Lights v3.5
    B9 Aerospace R4.0c (removed updated Exsurgent Engineering .dll due to CerberusEngineController log spam)
    Chatterer v0.5.6
    Crew Manifest v0.5.6.2
    Docking Port Alignment Indicator v3.01
    Editor Extensions v0.6
    Engineer Redux v0.6.2.0 (about to update to 0.6.2.3)
    Enhanced NavBall v1.2
    FAR v0.12.5.2
    Firespitter plugin (Pre3)
    GHud v1.21
    Haystack v0.2.2.19
    HyperEdit v1.2.4.2
    KAS v0.4.5
    Kerbal Alarm Clock v2.7.0.0
    KJR v1.7
    KerbCam v0.12
    Kethane v0.8.4
    KLF v0.7.3
    KSI MFG v1.1a (RasterPropMonitor displays by Hyomoto)
    KW Rocketry v2.5.6B
    MechJeb v2.1.1.01
    ModuleManager v1.5.6
    Procedural Dynamics (Wings) v0.6
    Procedural Fairings v2.4.3
    Quantum Struts v2.0.3
    RasterPropMonitor v0.13
    RCS BuildAid v0.4.3
    SCANsat b5
    SH-MK2Cockpit
    Squad Texture Pack Reducer v0.1c
    SteamGauges v1.3.4
    TAC Fuel Balancer v2.3.0.2
    Telemachus v1.4.16.0
    TextureCompressor v2.15 basic
    Toolbar 1.4.2
    Universe Replacer v4.0
    Visual Enhancements v6.7

With all of that out of the way, it happens with every craft no matter how simple, even if it's just a lone control pod and nothing else. It also does happen on flights in progress too. If it's a flight in progress, the parts just seem to fall apart. If I EVA a Kerbal it just falls straight down. The physics are definitely never initialized. This only happens with the very first craft I initialize. As soon as I revert state and re-initialize, it's fine. Anytime I try to input controls it spams more NullReferenceException errors in the log file.

EDIT: I started a new test sandbox game, and now it doesn't seem to be happening? So maybe something in the savegame itself ended up corrupted (which was in itself a testbed) and I've gone and deleted it already.

Edited by Castun

Oy, OK I'll do my best here to list everything I have running:

With all of that out of the way, it happens with every craft no matter how simple, even if it's just a lone control pod and nothing else. It also does happen on flights in progress too. If it's a flight in progress, the parts just seem to fall apart. If I EVA a Kerbal it just falls straight down. The physics are definitely never initialized. This only happens with the very first craft I initialize. As soon as I revert state and re-initialize, it's fine. Anytime I try to input controls it spams more NullReferenceException errors in the log file.

EDIT: I started a new test sandbox game, and now it doesn't seem to be happening? So maybe something in the savegame itself ended up corrupted (which was in itself a testbed) and I've gone and deleted it already.

I had that happen once. Long before KJR and I can tell you that it was not the result of any new mods that were added, rather something that I did to my installation that caused problems for certain existing craft. Something that changed how the part modules were loaded, like maybe the order of them. Something sort of similar was reported (IIRC, my memory is a bit hazy on the specifics) for Modular Fuels / Stretchy Tanks where they were interacting in some manner that affected physics maybe?

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is that the module order as listed for craft in the save file might not match the order they are actually loaded into the game. And KSP doesn't react well to that sort of thing.

Your original save file where this is happening might not really be recoverable to the point of stability.

Just knowing that there are NullReferenceExceptions isn't enough :( The output_log.txt file has a LOT more information in it than ksp.log or what you see when you look at the debug menu with F12. It reports the functions where those errors are actually happening. Like what function generated those NullReferenceExceptions

Interesting, although this did happen even when starting a new launch on the launchpad. It definitely seemed to affect both brand new craft as well as anything that was already up in the air. I'll see if it comes up again now.

Your log seems to have a lot of exceptions from all kind of places. In this context I wouldn't trust anything to be reliable, since an exception at an inappropriate time can mess up the game state really bad. I would consider any kind of exception coming from a mod as a critical bug.

Yeah, still coming up in the new game, I don't think it actually matters if I start it off brand new or not, the first craft to be loaded doesn't initialize the physics, whether it's a brand new launch or an existing flight (which causes all attached parts to completely fall off, while the capsule remains unaffected.) Also giving me a bunch of NaN errors this time. Here's an updated output_log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djt6q49q2d4hrbz/output_log.txt

Well, for instance this definitely f's up initialization of whatever part this happens in, which can easily cause other stuff to break later:

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[system.String,ScienceExperiment].Add (System.String key, .ScienceExperiment value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ResearchAndDevelopment.loadExperiments () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperiment (System.String experimentID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleScienceExperiment.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Anyone know why this is happening? I have had this happen before, the camera detaches itself from the pod, then if I turn the craft, it accelerates as if it where attached to a string a swung around it (like a conker)

zVL1X12.png

On this craft it is too heavy to accelerate much but on others i have seen them go from 20 ms to 800

(has this happened before to anyone?)

Edited by Boamere

Without an output_log.txt from the KSP_Data folder, no one has any idea what's going on. Odds are it's a bug with another mod though; make sure to state a complete list of all the mods you're using and their respective version numbers.

Without an output_log.txt from the KSP_Data folder, no one has any idea what's going on. Odds are it's a bug with another mod though; make sure to state a complete list of all the mods you're using and their respective version numbers.

Oh god ok....

Well here's my output log

http://www./download/4gp6rr9luq5oi3g/output_log.zip

and my mods are:

AEIS

PWB Fuel balacner 0.05 (i think)

Service module system

Novapunch 2

kerbaltek (hyperedit)

SelectRoot

KebaljointReinforcment

EditorExtensions

MultipleSavesDA

NothkeserCom

Hooligan lans

Armstrong industries

ProceduralDynamics

Navyfish

Realchute

Squad

ThunderAreospace

KAS

DavonTCsystemsmod

Magicsmokeindustries

Klockheed_Martian

Porkworks

Kerazmit

Panda Jager Labarotories

NearFuture

FASA

Kommit_nucleonics

Mechjeb2

JSI

MechJeb2RPM

SCANsatRPM

TarsierSpaceTech

SCANSAT

Kethane (most recent v)

AutoAsparagus

MP_Nazari

000_Toolbar

KSPX

Hexcans

Treeloader

WarpPlugin (Ksp interstellar)

Extraplanatary launch pads

New Octagon corporation

FusTek

SH_mods

Modular fuel tanks

ASET (alco lander)

BoulderCo (texture compressor)

RCSbuildAid

Weka lifeboat

firespitter.dll

ModuleManager v 1.5.6

.... Phew that's everything, I think most, if not all are up to date

Well, for instance this definitely f's up initialization of whatever part this happens in, which can easily cause other stuff to break later:

After seeing that, I finally figured out what was causing the problem. I had downloaded the community submitted science logs and FUBARed the file trying to combine it in with the stock one. Just did a complete replacement and now there are no more problems loading up that first craft.

The null is being thrown by RealChute. Go make sure you're using the most recent version; if you are, go and provide reproduction information to stupid_chris in his thread.

Well that can't be whats causing the random swinging action, because I got ReaChute today and its been happening for the last week :/ ....? :confused:

ModularFuels is up to date then, right? There was an issue involving them awhile back.

With so many mods it's almost impossible to figure out the source of the issue.

Yeah I know :/ I'll check on modular fuels

Also I have the lastest mechjeb Galane ;)

I was trying to use the experimental 2.0 version of KJR and this stack here was bending around, literally like a noodle. It's a long, ungainly stack of modules docked to one another with Senior Docking ports [...] Reverting to the 1.7 version (and reverting to my last quick save!) behaved properly. The stack was nice and rigid, just as it has been all along since I built it and launched it a couple weeks ago (using version 1.4 of KJR, I think).

I have had this EXACT same scenario with a rocket about half the length of the one shown in LameLefty's image.

I did NOT revert back to v1.7; I'm still using the experimental v2.0.2. I was able to control the craft by limiting acceleration to 3m/s (which is VERY limiting). However, I can confirm that the ship DOES bend almost into a U-shape. That's not an exaggeration: the drive stage could've hit the hab stage.

However, I can confirm that the ship DOES bend almost into a U-shape. That's not an exaggeration: the drive stage could've hit the hab stage.

That's just the Kerbal way of how the crew does an eyeball inspection of the engines. :)

Yeah, just go back to v1.7 until I get v2.0 fully worked-out. It only needs some polishing and then I'll release it. I tested with LameLefty's ship and it's solid as a rock in the latest dev version.