KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

Is there a specific way to run this on LAN? I have a powerful laptop and several of my friends at school have KSP and this plugin. I want to host the server over LAN while there. Do I just have them connect to the internal IP with the portI select? Also, since the school's network is terrible, is it possible for me to host the server on a computer-to-computer network or something?

figured out what my problem was.

This has to have both TCP and UDP ports open to work. If you forget the UDP, it will connect but be unable to save vessels or synchronize.

Fixing the firewall has enabled several moderators to begin building a space station.

Happy to hear it! I'll make this more clear in the next version of the server README

Sorry if this is a stupid question but when I connect I get a message saying "handshake received server version 1.0" or something like that. Am I missing a step or is it my connection?

In the current version the client often isn't getting disconnected correctly when the server hangs up on you for one reason or another (name taken, full, etc)--instead you get the behavior you're seeing. This was a known-issue heading into the release and should hopefully be fixed in the not too distant future. If you have any contact with the server admin, they may be able to see what's wrong from the disconnection message.

In the current version the client often isn't getting disconnected correctly when the server hangs up on you for one reason or another (name taken, full, etc)--instead you get the behavior you're seeing. This was a known-issue heading into the release and should hopefully be fixed in the not too distant future. If you have any contact with the server admin, they may be able to see what's wrong from the disconnection message.

I think I said that wrong I mean I cant connect and while trying to get on the server it displays that message and does nothing.

Alright, a couple of quick questions:

1. What Protocol should I run my server application on? TCP or UDP

2.What timeout should I set it to?

3. What host port should I map it to?

Also it is a file transfer protocol server right?

To anyone who couldn't tell, I'm a noob at setting up ports. Thanks for your help.

1. BOTH

2. If this is a firewall rule timeout, either something long or turn it off if you can. If the server is down for the length of the timeout, I believe the exception you made for it will be deleted (could be mistaken)

3. Whatever port is configured for the server (not the httpPort, default is 2076).

KMP isn't an FTP server--that's a special kind of server just for transferring ordinary files around.

It appears that if the server IP has a space in it/after the IP, it will be invalid, make all the text disappear, and spam the debug log. Must delete and re-install.

But anyway it works good! :D

Is there a way to reduce the bubble? I want to crash into planes on the KSC island.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I connect to a server. I've put the KMP folder in GameData, put the KMP Save folder in the save folder yet when I tried and load the save it simply tells me that I need to update the save needs to be upgraded then it just freezes. I am using the steam version of ksp if that might make any difference. Some help would be appreciated.

It appears that if the server IP has a space in it/after the IP, it will be invalid, make all the text disappear, and spam the debug log. Must delete and re-install.

But anyway it works good! :D

Is there a way to reduce the bubble? I want to crash into planes on the KSC island.

No way to reduce the bubble for now, but thanks for your issue report! It helped trace down the cause of a bug people were having with pasted addresses.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I connect to a server. I've put the KMP folder in GameData, put the KMP Save folder in the save folder yet when I tried and load the save it simply tells me that I need to update the save needs to be upgraded then it just freezes. I am using the steam version of ksp if that might make any difference. Some help would be appreciated.

If KMP is correctly installed you should see a "Connection" window beside the main menu when you first start up KSP, and you can connect from there. KMP isn't intended to be started from the "Start Game" menu.

Just downloaded this to try it and I'm sorry to report that your "object reference" bug is still alive and kicking.

Set up the server as per instructions, allowed all firewalls/ports etc. I can connect to my localhost just fine, however when my brother tries to connect from within the same LAN we get this, which is a closed report on github -

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at KMPServer.Server.hostingLoop()
at KMPServer.ServerMain.hostServer(ServerSettings settings)
Stacktrace: at KMPServer.Server.disconnectClient(Int32 index, String message)
at KMPServer.Server.handleConnections()

The server saves and shuts down.

CPU: i5 2500k

Hope this helps to track it down :)

Good luck with this mod, it's pretty exciting!

Server CPU?

Yep, not sure if working as intended but the server CPU usage gets pretty high after a while. Right now no one is on the server and for some reason it is using 100% of one core. A little while ago CPU usage was around 200% with just one person online. Not sure if this is regular usage, but earlier today when the server was full (8/8), CPU usage stayed high across all cores and there were a ton of connection and synchronization issues. Took a screenshot, this is what the CPU was looking like (one of the calmer moments, actually):

MaqyWaP.jpg

Can you report this on Github for easier tracking?

Sure, reported it.

Edited by frozenbacon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.