KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

This is absolutely, purely amazing. I haven't downloaded it yet, but you sir should be hired by squad...like...yesterday. I know they have said they aren't building a multiplayer KSP...but if this is possible with a mod, imagine what would be possible if you actually built it into the game? My buddy and I can finally build stations and bases together. This is awesome.

I've set up the server app on my desktop and am trying to host a private test of this with a couple of friends. I can't connect to my own public IP on the KMP port - I can't do it from the same box and my friends can't connect to it either. I don't know if this is even directly KMP related - any ideas? I can connect to myself at localhost but not with my actual public IP.

Do I need to set up port forwarding in the router or would that not be enough - do I have to use a VPN app such as hamachi?

WOW

Been lurking on these forums for awhile, but THIS MOD forced me to make an account and get busy :)

This is amazing, sir! I want KSP to have this feature! Please keep up the good work, we are behind you! We need to get Squads attention so they can see the amazing potential here! Multiplayer is what KSP was missing!

Just downloaded this to try it and I'm sorry to report that your "object reference" bug is still alive and kicking.

Set up the server as per instructions, allowed all firewalls/ports etc. I can connect to my localhost just fine, however when my brother tries to connect from within the same LAN we get this, which is a closed report on github -

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at KMPServer.Server.hostingLoop()
at KMPServer.ServerMain.hostServer(ServerSettings settings)
Stacktrace: at KMPServer.Server.disconnectClient(Int32 index, String message)
at KMPServer.Server.handleConnections()

The server saves and shuts down.

CPU: i5 2500k

Hope this helps to track it down :)

Good luck with this mod, it's pretty exciting!

Same here. It happened when me and Swiftgates were testing it, then TCVM attempted to connect (Maybe because he dosen't have the greatest internet?) And crashed the server with this. I then blew up my plane and crashed KSP! Yay! :D

Yep, not sure if working as intended but the server CPU usage gets pretty high after a while. Right now no one is on the server and for some reason it is using 100% of one core. A little while ago CPU usage was around 200% with just one person online. Not sure if this is regular usage, but earlier today when the server was full (8/8), CPU usage stayed high across all cores and there were a ton of connection and synchronization issues. Took a screenshot, this is what the CPU was looking like (one of the calmer moments, actually):

MaqyWaP.jpg

Sure, reported it.

This doesn't match what I have going, with as many as 5 people on a Xen VPS the CPU load was a mere 0.08 typical, barely higher than that server's idle parameters.

I'll be putting it to the test shortly opening up a public server to see how many people I can get on it without locking it up.

Same here. It happened when me and Swiftgates were testing it, then TCVM attempted to connect (Maybe because he dosen't have the greatest internet?) And crashed the server with this. I then blew up my plane and crashed KSP! Yay! :D

Thanks! Being tracked here

It would be great if the server was more headless friendly. It would be easier to keep it alive with scripts and stuff. And also to integrate into the system daemons. At least on linux ... windows maybe could have a batch that will parse the user parameters to the conf file and launch the server? for it to remain user friendly as is now.

Thanks.

Edited by agises

Among my circle of friends on the KLF mod, we started an effort to make the first docking.

After working on it most of the night, we did it!

Credit goes to:

Dirt_Merchant

NeverMoto

and me,

Rottielover

cTZz15H.png

oh shame I wasn't on :(

It would be great if the server was more headless friendly. It would be easier to keep it alive with scripts and stuff. And also to integrate into the system daemons. At least on linux ... windows maybe could have a batch that will parse the user parameters to the conf file and launch the server? for it to remain user friendly as is now.

Thanks.

Use screen with it

on a Linux server, screen mono KMPServer.exe

This will keep it running without a terminal connected while still letting you access its stdio for troubleshooting.

My public server is up as well now:

publickmp1.kerbalspace.net:2076, stats at http://publickmp1.kerbalspace.net:55000

So far people I've been playing with on this server and my private server as well have managed dockings, mun landings, and at least one surface docking as well.

Fun fact- this is the first time that I've landed on full manual without damaging the ship: http://i.imgur.com/2dCTmGx.png

Edited by OdinYggd

This isn't too unexpected if someone else is controlling the vessel--as you get within actual physics simulation range KMP should (attempt to) switch from the less-accurate orbital positioning to "rendezvous-mode" positioning (which is much more accurate but demands a low ping & good performance on both ends to work right).

Assuming cpu is not an issue, what kind of ping & bandwidth would be needed to have a more or less smooth experience in rendezvous-mode? I realize a LAN would probably be ideal, but could it be playable with pings around 50ms and a max upload of about 60 KB/s for the server if there are only 2 players? :) Tried it yesterday but the ship kept jumping away at around 300-400m... almost like it had warp drive :D. Was not yet the 1.0.4.0. server though but the second version (corrected localization).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.