[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Thanks for this excellent mod! Everything looks so much more like the real thing and offers a much better feeling.

I am encountering a flickering texture glitches with Jool (yet only checked in the tracking station) however.

It only happens when looking from greater distance. If jool covers about the fourth of the screen height, the issue is gone.

I have fiddled around with the settings and noticed, that i can reduce the flickering when moving the cloud layers further up. It looks like its a alpha blending or render layer issue.

If you look into it and need any further testing or more precise description just contact me. :)

ok if you're sticking with the billboards method for the time being, there are a few suggestion i'd make about it.

-It'd be great if there were settings for the individual volumetric layers (hex segment division, radius, fade length, size, maybe also texture i.e. different cloud types) in the ingame menu. < optional brightness/min-light would be great aswell.

-More 'sides' to the 2D cloud layers to make them less angular/smoother on the horizon and prevent them from rising/dropping to much as the the texture rotates. (especially for RSS it's very noticeable with low layers).

-Most volumetric cloud layers have uncontrollable speed, Notably in RSS, they don't respond to changing easterly velocity in the ingame menu or in the configs.

-Nameable layers in the alt + n menu that save into the config.

These are probably out of the scope of the current system but..

-Some proper, genuine, rudimentary shadowing for clouds both 2D and ideally volumetrics. Current method using a 2D shadow layer close to ground has many problems as it doesn't stick to terrain and disappears into hills etc.

-Some method of giving clouds vertical stacking without the need for multiple mayers

I really don't mean to nag, it's a great mod no doubt, just some improvement suggestions :)

Oh btw this might be worth looking at for cloud rendering stuffs >> http://www.markmark.net/clouds/RTCRDownload.html

Edited by pingopete

Now that's a fix!

However, if you think about it, maybe it shouldn't be seen during day at all since three are no buildings so it looks odd, even if you fill in the squares since it's flat.

I finished the detail textures for the city lights along with a matching daytime texture with buildings and such. I think you'll be very pleased with the results. The daytime one has some subtle variances with the buildings and color and from about 5000 feet I think it looks great. Thesonicgalaxy is working on getting them into his Better Atmospheres pack.

I finished the detail textures for the city lights along with a matching daytime texture with buildings and such. I think you'll be very pleased with the results. The daytime one has some subtle variances with the buildings and color and from about 5000 feet I think it looks great. Thesonicgalaxy is working on getting them into his Better Atmospheres pack.

Can't wait to see them!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this excellent mod! Everything looks so much more like the real thing and offers a much better feeling.

I am encountering a flickering texture glitches with Jool (yet only checked in the tracking station) however.

It only happens when looking from greater distance. If jool covers about the fourth of the screen height, the issue is gone.

I have fiddled around with the settings and noticed, that i can reduce the flickering when moving the cloud layers further up. It looks like its a alpha blending or render layer issue.

If you look into it and need any further testing or more precise description just contact me. :)

It's called Z-fighting, and I hope to have it fixed in a future version.

Yay, been missing the aurora
My god thats beautiful...
Good stuff. Yes, have been missing aurora....
Aurora Bringitbackus!
That Aurora looks amazing. Can't wait to see this.
That looks so beautiful, but how in the world did you get them to work?

Being that I've been looking and using nothing but the ALT+N menu for a week now, I would like to know how you got the auroras to work on the night side.

It's all magic

...of setting Red to 0, Green to 20, Blue to 15, and MinLight to -0.4. :)

And I'm all out of magic - taking screenshots right now for the final mod album.

Just remember this is Beta.

Soonâ„¢

Edited by Astronomer

ok if you're sticking with the billboards method for the time being, there are a few suggestion i'd make about it.

-It'd be great if there were settings for the individual volumetric layers (hex segment division, radius, fade length, size, maybe also texture i.e. different cloud types) in the ingame menu. < optional brightness/min-light would be great aswell.

-More 'sides' to the 2D cloud layers to make them less angular/smoother on the horizon and prevent them from rising/dropping to much as the the texture rotates. (especially for RSS it's very noticeable with low layers).

-Most volumetric cloud layers have uncontrollable speed, Notably in RSS, they don't respond to changing easterly velocity in the ingame menu or in the configs.

-Nameable layers in the alt + n menu that save into the config.

These are probably out of the scope of the current system but..

-Some proper, genuine, rudimentary shadowing for clouds both 2D and ideally volumetrics. Current method using a 2D shadow layer close to ground has many problems as it doesn't stick to terrain and disappears into hills etc.

-Some method of giving clouds vertical stacking without the need for multiple mayers

I really don't mean to nag, it's a great mod no doubt, just some improvement suggestions :)

Oh btw this might be worth looking at for cloud rendering stuffs >> http://www.markmark.net/clouds/RTCRDownload.html

I have lots of things to do with the config mechanism. The only thing I hadn't thought about was the layer naming. Possible. We'll see if it makes it into the next revision.

Shadows are something I have planed. However, they won't block sunlight or anything, and they won't stack on layers unfortunately. May only be able to set one as a "shadow caster"

Cumulous clouds are something I want to implement, but it will have to wait.

Looks like I am going to revisit basically the entire structure of the mod. Given that it has evolved so much, I don't see any other way to proceed as it is.

It's all magic

...of setting Red to 0, Green to 20, Blue to 15, and MinLight to -0.4. :)

And I'm all out of magic -taking screenshots right now for the final mod album.

Just remember this is Beta.

Soonâ„¢

Oh, now THAT is just clever.

I have one small request, rbray89.

Can you include a last updated date in the thread title. Keeping track of version numbers is difficult with many mods. I tend to do an update sweep and update anything that has been updated since a certain date, and being able to scan the title for updates is very useful.

Love the mod, It is an essential mod on my main saves. :)

Has anyone a cfg file combining Astronomer's clouds and auroras as well as RuBisCO's rolling Duna storms?

I would not know what to delete/change safely.

About that, I should add my own storm texture instead of using duna1.PNG. I think i should do that before i release the beta because it now feels incomplete.

Please give me more good ideas of things that should make it into the beta.

Also that duna texture needs to go. Does anyone have a better cloud texture I could use that is not kerbin1?

Edited by Astronomer

The terrain shader and fog is pretty impressive. Ah hell, who am I kidding, everything you've done has been impressive, it's just mo' impressive. Future use of the fog for weather and such seems a given, and hopefully the terrain shader can be used to make the worlds a little more diverse and Kerbin's poles a bit less ugly!

Awesome mod! Kerbin looks so much better!

But I've a question about Eve. At least on the tracking screen, it looks like a barely-detailed purple ball. Is that normal? Some kind of really thick cloud cover?

Awesome mod! Kerbin looks so much better!

But I've a question about Eve. At least on the tracking screen, it looks like a barely-detailed purple ball. Is that normal? Some kind of really thick cloud cover?

Wait till you get there and need to find a landing site in a hurry. It gets "interesting". Really ads to the excitement.

rbray, is there any way to add an offset for volumetric generation height? Due to the RSS issue where the spherical cloud layer is lower than expected, it's *way* lower than the volumetric clouds.

I'm working on a fix for this. My plan is to have a better mesh similar to PQS that will only cover the area above the PQS, and be much higher density.

rbray, is there any way to add an offset for volumetric generation height? Due to the RSS issue where the spherical cloud layer is lower than expected, it's *way* lower than the volumetric clouds.

Are you using BA mod on rss? I got the volumetrics working with the 2D main cloud layer fairly* well. Set the layer with alt:4000 to 8150, that should place the 2D clouds at the volume layer (at least did on mine). It appears that as well as the 2D layer varying in hight with its 'peaks', all the altitudes are off set by around -4000m. The default for BA set the alt for rss based on the 2D layer's starting location but this lowers significantly as the texture rotates. 8150m should place it at an average close to the volume layer.

Absolutely fantastic mod! I can't see myself playing ever again without it. I landed for the first time on Duna today with this mod on, and it totally changed the experience. I do have a question though. The city lights seem to be flickering under mountains/terrain now and again, as if its a flat sheet set at an altitude where some of the actual terrain pops over over. Have I missed some settings up or is this intended? :)

Absolutely fantastic mod! I can't see myself playing ever again without it. I landed for the first time on Duna today with this mod on, and it totally changed the experience. I do have a question though. The city lights seem to be flickering under mountains/terrain now and again, as if its a flat sheet set at an altitude where some of the actual terrain pops over over. Have I missed some settings up or is this intended? :)

That is what city lights currently is. But read the 2 or 3 last pages, you'll see what Rbray is working on :)