[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

So I installed the I-WANT-MY-PC-INCINERATED MODE for cloud density and I must say I'm rather disappointed at the lack of flames shooting out of my tower. Also lack of clouds

http://www.blade-edge.com/images/forums/ksp/t_denseclouds.jpg

or maybe I have the wrong idea about what "cloud density" means. I assumed at first it meant I would see volumetric clouds at greater distances, but perhaps it just makes the clouds themselves thicker? I'm trying to reduce clouds "popping" up in front of me as I fly and also make high-altitude photos look a lot nicer by having volumetric clouds off into the distance. My PC showed absolutely no performance hit with these max-density settings and regardless, all photos I take are generally done after I've already flown a mission where I go back and recreate scenarios I can try a bunch of different angles from to get a good shot. So performance isn't really an issue as I'm only going for eye candy not trying to actually fly around and do stuff realistically (cheats are on and all that)

in the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder there is a config. increase the division and radius values.

Rbray you are amazing and so it this mod. I can't believe the progress you made on it from flat clouds (which were great for the time) to well.. the AMAZING look of the latest build.

You really should update the screenshots on this thread and update them on the download sites (spaceport/curse) too so people realize just how amazing this is now.

Duna dust storms

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=258657001

The magic kingdom of Eve

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=258098240

Edited by mcbmaestro

So I've always been enjoying enhanced visuals for what it's added to my gaming experience. I recently took a trip to Eve and was amazed at how thick the clouds were (even if they sorta faded out at an odd radius but I get how that works programming wise), I couldn't help but fire up a youtube and scream "Atreu!". What did bother me was all this wonder of thick Eve cloud cover, dark Kerbin storm clouds and Duna dust storms but flying though what I figured would be the endless cloud cover of Jool and finding a big black eye staring up at me. Is there something unique about Jool that prevents adding the same quality to it?

8F1F6EBC1972F84F681C3A3CECD0C4977BD72443

Also the glowing green sky flashes in and out now with this mod for some reason while down in it's atmosphere.

Ok so when I first played, I thought the cloud line as you pass through it looks really bad. So I found a way to fix it!

Set all the cloud textures to 95% more transparent:

http://imgur.com/a/zPCTb

Still has clouds though their more like a light cloud covering.

Well for me that defeats the upurpose, but everone has a right to choose what they like ofc :)

Cheers for sharing those devbuilds to so we can test them out op!

in the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder there is a config. increase the division and radius values.

Woah now I'm really confused. Here are some of Astronomer's configs:

1.5x Cloud Density

ENVIRONMENTAL_VISUAL_ENHANCEMENTS
{
volumeHexRadius = 8000
volumeSegmentDiv = 3
}

3x Cloud Density

{
volumeHexRadius = 4000
volumeSegmentDiv = 3
}

I WANT MY PC INCINERATED MODE

{
volumeHexRadius = 6000
volumeSegmentDiv = 4
}

I don't get why 3x radius is less than 1.5x radius if the values are supposed to be increased. Especially when division remains unchanged

Woah now I'm really confused. Here are some of Astronomer's configs:

1.5x Cloud Density

{
volumeHexRadius = 8000
volumeSegmentDiv = 3
}

3x Cloud Density

{
volumeHexRadius = 4000
volumeSegmentDiv = 3
}

I WANT MY PC INCINERATED MODE

{
volumeHexRadius = 6000
volumeSegmentDiv = 4
}

I don't get why 3x radius is less than 1.5x radius if the values are supposed to be increased. Especially when division remains unchanged

EDIT: I may be wrong below now that I think about it. It's not going from 1 to 3, but from 1.5 to 3, which is not triple but double. I think though that the basic idea is the same though. There is less space in which to put the clouds so they're more crowded.

The hex is the size of the hex the clouds are put in. They are 2d hexes so the area is 2*pi*r. So, when r doubles (from 4000 to 8000) the area goes up by pi, or roughly triples. There is 1/3 the space to put the cloud puffs in, so you get 3x the clouds per hex.

I don't know what volumeSegmntDiv means :)

Edited by 5thHorseman

So I've always been enjoying enhanced visuals for what it's added to my gaming experience. I recently took a trip to Eve and was amazed at how thick the clouds were (even if they sorta faded out at an odd radius but I get how that works programming wise), I couldn't help but fire up a youtube and scream "Atreu!". What did bother me was all this wonder of thick Eve cloud cover, dark Kerbin storm clouds and Duna dust storms but flying though what I figured would be the endless cloud cover of Jool and finding a big black eye staring up at me. Is there something unique about Jool that prevents adding the same quality to it?

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3278929783826958316/8F1F6EBC1972F84F681C3A3CECD0C4977BD72443/

Also the glowing green sky flashes in and out now with this mod for some reason while down in it's atmosphere.

Yeah... Jool has no PQS system to attach to. I didn't realize this early enough to find out that volume entities don't work there, so I have to make something that will work instead.

EDIT: I may be wrong below now that I think about it. It's not going from 1 to 3, but from 1.5 to 3, which is not triple but double. I think though that the basic idea is the same though. There is less space in which to put the clouds so they're more crowded.

The hex is the size of the hex the clouds are put in. They are 2d hexes so the area is 2*pi*r. So, when r doubles (from 4000 to 8000) the area goes up by pi, or roughly triples. There is 1/3 the space to put the cloud puffs in, so you get 3x the clouds per hex.

I don't know what volumeSegmntDiv means :)

HexSegDiv is the number of times to divide the sides (internal and external) of the hexagon to place a particle. Each is a power of two, so it is an exponential field.

For stock KSP I think DetailScale of 100 or so looks better than the 1000 you default to for oceans. 1000 looks very tiled which is something I'm guessing this is attempting to remove, 100 looks decent and pretty watery considering there's 0 waves.

For stock KSP I think DetailScale of 100 or so looks better than the 1000 you default to for oceans. 1000 looks very tiled which is something I'm guessing this is attempting to remove, 100 looks decent and pretty watery considering there's 0 waves.

Ok, I'll do that. What are your thoughts on the depth features? Is it realistic enough? Are close-ups ok? Due to the dual-camera setup, I had to do a little "magic" to make it play nice, so up close, it uses a Fresnel type of shader, but once you are a good distance away, it goes back to depth.

And what about the mapView/scaledSpace? is that OK?

Had a pic to mention for v5 (regarding shader issues on the ocean) but you're released v5.1. I'll try that first. :)

Was it random black squares? I found out that the vertex color info isn't properly initialized sometimes, so I just removed it. It isn't in the latest release yet though.

That only happened in RSS for me, it looks decent with Kerbin.

To answer some of your questions, I think the water is still too transparent. Looking straight down it's still possible to see the bottom easily off the shore from KSC, at a distance it seems better though. Not sure what you mean by mapview, the oceans look great from there and so do cities but there aren't any clouds to speak of.

That only happened in RSS for me, it looks decent with Kerbin.

To answer some of your questions, I think the water is still too transparent. Looking straight down it's still possible to see the bottom easily off the shore from KSC, at a distance it seems better though. Not sure what you mean by mapview, the oceans look great from there and so do cities but there aren't any clouds to speak of.

Hmmm... the Water Clarity can be toyed with in the gui to change it.

The shader was replaced for the scaled space bodies, so if that looks good, then I'm happy. (You'll notice no rim lighting and a more evident terminator)

Not black, just a darker blue (as if the shader wasn't being applied).

Also some of the ocean is much lighter, as if you could see sand under shallow water. Not sure if bug or feature.

http://i.imgur.com/jXUbjngl.jpg

Yeah, the color for those squares is a shade of grey for some reason. I am removing the vertex color from the shader entirely.

It is supposed to be a "feature" though if you think it is too light, you can change the _Clarity field in the gui to increase it a bit.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I see now what you're trying to do with the depth. When the camera is almost parallel to the water, it's almost opaque but straight on it's almost completely transparent. I put clarity at 0.0050 and that seems pretty OK, I didn't test it in RSS yet but I think it might need to be higher still since the water is very shallow. Terminator is indeed better, the Mun looks like it has a second Sun behind it compared to Kerbin. The ocean should move somehow though, it looks extremely weird static (not that stock looks great by any means). Also DetailScale 100 is tiled from orbit but not from the surface, 1000 is too small to be tiled from orbit but is clearly so from the surface. I have 50 in those screenshots.

In the pics the depth is about 700m. Now I don't spend a lot of time on water, but that sounds like a lot, surely more than enough to make the bottom invisible. It's tough to find the right balance, maybe some kind of fading to black would be better?

http://imgur.com/a/40adw

I see now what you're trying to do with the depth. When the camera is almost parallel to the water, it's almost opaque but straight on it's almost completely transparent. I put clarity at 0.0050 and that seems pretty OK, I didn't test it in RSS yet but I think it might need to be higher still since the water is very shallow. Terminator is indeed better, the Mun looks like it has a second Sun behind it compared to Kerbin. The ocean should move somehow though, it looks extremely weird static (not that stock looks great by any means). Also DetailScale 100 is tiled from orbit but not from the surface, 1000 is too small to be tiled from orbit but is clearly so from the surface. I have 50 in those screenshots.

In the pics the depth is about 700m. Now I don't spend a lot of time on water, but that sounds like a lot, surely more than enough to make the bottom invisible. It's tough to find the right balance, maybe some kind of fading to black would be better?

Hmmm... yeah, I'll have to fiddle with clarity I think to make it look "right" Maybe use a inverse square function instead of linear.

The dual-camera setup is really annoying. It has made getting everything to look nice a LOT harder. (hence the non-depth opacity when up-close and in water) Can't imagine how I could (easily) fix it though.

I still have to add detail fading and another detail texture on-top of the closeup detail. Animation is also up-comming (think actual waves).

Hello All, I seem to be having issues for when loading I get through the parts load but crashes after that...I notice this mod uses 2gb+/- of memory on my machine {while the rest of the system including running KSP,Fallout New Vegas, Widows 7 and all other running programs are only using 4gb's)...That seems to be quite a bit for a mod?

Hello All, I seem to be having issues for when loading I get through the parts load but crashes after that...I notice this mod uses 2gb+/- of memory on my machine {while the rest of the system including running KSP,Fallout New Vegas, Widows 7 and all other running programs are only using 4gb's)...That seems to be quite a bit for a mod?

How many mods do you have? It won't use quite that much, but it does add quite a few high-def textures to the build. Are you running with ATM? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005

How many mods do you have? It won't use quite that much, but it does add quite a few high-def textures to the build. Are you running with ATM? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005

Quite a few mods....But the 2gb I speak of is only for E.V.E. I checked my Memory usage running KSP with and without the mod and while running KSP without E.V.E I am right around 3.6-4gb ( I even had another game running in the background ) I run it with E.V.E and it locks up between 5.5-6gb usage which makes since because that is my max.