[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I just installed KSPRC - Renaissance Compilation pack and for some reason the clouds don't work when I remove the Active texture manager from the game. I didn't really like this mod because it makes the parts look ugly (I guess lower resolution). I have 4 GB of RAM of which 2.9 is avaible.

Is it possible to tell the active texture manager to ignore just the parts and still compress everything else or is there a different solution to this problem?

I just installed KSPRC - Renaissance Compilation pack and for some reason the clouds don't work when I remove the Active texture manager from the game. I didn't really like this mod because it makes the parts look ugly (I guess lower resolution). I have 4 GB of RAM of which 2.9 is avaible.

Is it possible to tell the active texture manager to ignore just the parts and still compress everything else or is there a different solution to this problem?

Alternatively, you can open the config file in the Active Texture Manager folder, take a minute to read extremely detailed comments above each parameter there, and disable the texture rescaling by altering one of them. The mod itself is an absolute must if you prefer to run a lot of content, and it's most important features are not about texture compression at all.

Would people *please* stop saying this? Just because KSP uses a bad choice for a physics engine doesn't mean adding shader FX will slow you down.

See also "n-body will melt your PC" -- no, try the various mods that add it.

yeah alot dont seem to understand their computer. me i run with 142mods currenttly have a constant 25fps and around 50c in vid card and just 23c on cpu temp.

most people when they download a mod they just batch dump everything into the data folder and just copy over anything without ever ready anything. me i open every one strip anything i know i never use. convert the .cfg to work with anything i use and then i add to my data folder. thats probaly why even with 64x u can play for hours without crash

I get an OOM CTD with this mod installed.

Error.log

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.5.2f1_9abb1b59b47c]

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module KSP.exe at 0023:0172d554.

Error occurred at 2014-07-27_031000.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by LK.
72% memory in use.
1024 MB physical memory [1024 MB free].
2048 MB paging file [1024 MB free].
0 MB user address space [542 MB free].
Read from location 00007ffc caused an access violation.

outputlog.txt

Clouds: Textures initialized

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 178956972B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: NewDelete
Allocation happend at: Line:0 in Overloaded New[]
Memory overview

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=697 w=8192 h=4096 mips=14 d3dfmt=21 [out of memory]
Crash!!!

Just wondering if you lot had any advice, like "the x folder isn't important and can be removed to save memory" or "that's weird, maybe you've got a glaring issue because you shouldn't get oom's" n' stuff.

There isn't much you can do other than using the low res version and active texture manager on aggressive. Seems like you have 72% RAM used already before you even start the game, you should get another RAM stick I'm guessing you have 4GB.

An idea from me. rbray89, I'd really love for you to chime in your thoughts on this...

I think I know of a way to simulate actual effective weather on Kerbin using EVE.

The system that specifies the area where volumetric clouds appear in relation to the cloud maps could also be used to define an area where turbulence also appears.

In this system, a volumetric layer could be applied to match a cloud map with a set altitude height. When a player vehicle enters this given volumetric area, randomized forces simulating wind could then be applied to the vehicle. There would be three types of forces that would need defined parameters for frequency and intensity.

1: Random buffeting - A force equivalent to random turbulence. Applies a few newtons of force in random directions to simulate unstable air.

2: Upwards force - A steady continuous upwards force for a brief period. Simulates updrafts.*

3: Downwards force - Same as 2, but for downdrafts.*

(It would probably be prudent to program in a check that ensures that updrafts and downdrafts can not be running at the exact same time.)

There are several stages of complexity I can see that would be easy to implement.

Stage 1: Basic simulation.

Basic simulation is just as I described above. If a player enters a cloud volume, they get buffeted by turbulence. This is effectively just a stage for proof of concept.

Stage 2: Weather Intensity Simulation

Once proof of concept is functional, it would then be trivial to create several cloud map arrangements that fit together like puzzle pieces when applied to kerbin. Each map contains it's own parameters for intensity areas, plus specific forces to be applied.

a: Clear sky - Obviously no disturbance.

b: Light clouds - Contains two layers. The layer from about a hundred meters up to the bottom of the cloud bank would be dominated by gentle random upwards or downwards forces. Simulating gentle convection and thermals. The area within the clouds would consist of slightly more bumpy and random directions of in-cloud turbulence.

c: Heavy Clouds/Light Rain - Contains gusty winds below the clouds, and more violent turbulence in the clouds. Additional bonus if rain can be visually simulated through the particle engine and an efficient texture map. (IE, you can see the rain bands streaming out of the cloud to the ground.) But not required.

d: Thunderstorm - Universally gusty volume with sudden, violent up/downdrafts. Genuinely dangerous forces encountered that could damage or destroy a vehicle in flight. (Especially the downdrafts) Bonus points if randomized lightning can be simulated. Even greater bonus if lightning can do damage to a vehicle if it scores a hit.

e: Severe Thunderstorm - Extremely violent lower layer, with an upper layer between 2000 and 5000 meters that is 100% lethal suicide to fly through. The upper layer can be simulated by acquiring and using the Kessler syndrome mod. This would simulate the darwinistic foolishness of flying right through the hail that exists there.

Stage 3: Dynamic simulation.

I noticed when playing around with EVE through Better Atmospheres that some of the cloud maps were actually really slowly cycling animations. An interlinked set of animated cloud maps could also be created to simulate, not merely static clouds moving across the planet, but slowly evolving weather systems. They would of course, just be the same systems on an infinite cycle, but you take what you can work with. If the 'puzzle peices' are built right, seamless weather systems could be set up on Kerbin to immerse the player.

Stage 4 (optionally, stage 3 depending on coding resources and priority): Additional mod integration.

Once the weather 'simulation' works, the force dynamics could be integrated to work with FAR, allowing the forces being applied to be based on aerodynamic forces instead of just random force values.

Additionally, the weather system could be integrated with SCANsat, allowing the player to view live weather maps of the planet and make judgement calls about flight operations safety.

Further, inclusion of weather satellites could then lead to 'launch weather satellite' contracts with the contract system.

Post thoughts. EVE's system is integral to how this would work.

Any clue what this means? EVE seems to work fine (7-3, KSP 0.24.2 in Linux 64bit) but I see this message in Player.log:

Missing method .ctor in assembly /home/scott/Apps/KSP0242/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/Terrain.dll, type System.Runtime.Versioning.TargetFrameworkAttribute

The class System.Runtime.Versioning.TargetFrameworkAttribute could not be loaded, used in Terrain

Can't find custom attr constructor image: /home/scott/Apps/KSP0242/GameData/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Plugins/Terrain.dll mtoken: 0x0a000001

-snip

In my opinion this seems a bit too much for one person, but I really do like your idea. Instead, I think the name for this is a hook, but I could be utterly wrong. Basically you make a system in EVE that tells you what cloud layer you're in, and also the name of the layer. That would be able to tell another plugin what layer you're in and such, and do the work from there.

Also, with animated cloud layers, I wouldn't know how a plugin would tell where hurricanes and such are if it is animated. I suppose it could check the frame it is on and the location on the file. That seems a bit too difficult and at that point it would be better to do it procedurally. There is so many variables. However, I could be an idiot and there could be a simple solution my petty brain can't think of.

Quick feedback from my firsts experiencies with 9-2 overhaul, excuse my limited english:

1º. Looks amazingly promising. A great step on, congrats rbray.

2º. Run OK on 32 bit windows and linux, some clouds issues in 64bit windows (absences -in square path- in the cloud texture from space).

3º. Two great but weird things for me, modding the mod:

- Oceans: despite the tiling (my bad, I have a new and better texture for the water if you want it) the new system is great, but the reflection in the water is ilogical for me... the reflection follows the camera. But IMHO a realistic reflection should be a point related to the sun (the point from where the reflection should come -I assume-). Like in this capture of your 7-3 version in KSPRC: http://i.imgur.com/XcclwQ1.jpg

In the modern pictures from space you can see how the light from the sun over the oceans acts like a kind of mirror.

- Clouds: now the clouds appears when the camera moves! great! much more realistic, but now the clouds particles appears always over my camera, with no relation with the kerbin1 texture. So I always have a "window" of clouds over, even in sunny days. It's my bad? It's a bug? It's a non yet included feature in 9-2? I think that worked in the "right" way in 7-3. <-- EDITED: Solved after restart. Nevermind.

4º. No way to "translate" older settings for this version? I usually write the modifications and I only use the GUI for small changes, so the changes in the structure are a small pain in my ass. Ey, but not complaining! ;)

Thanks again for your great work rbray89.

Edited by Proot

Alternatively, you can open the config file in the Active Texture Manager folder, take a minute to read extremely detailed comments above each parameter there, and disable the texture rescaling by altering one of them. The mod itself is an absolute must if you prefer to run a lot of content, and it's most important features are not about texture compression at all.

I tried that bt it still won't work. But I don't think that the RAM is the problem. I still have 1.2GB left after I run the game without the active texture manager. I also tried Astronomers pack and still no luck.

EDIT: I did a clean install of Kerbal Space Program 0.24.2 and installed just this mod. It still wouldn't work. I tried 64 and 32 bit version.

Edited by snipex

Sorry for what im sure is a question you get alot, but Im having a hard time finding the info. How can I increase the load distance of the volumetric clouds to a significant degree? Im trying to figure out the in-game editor, but all I can seem to do is mess up Astronomer's settings with each tweak of a slider.

Is anyone else having issues with the Overhaul version crashing in 64 bit windows KSP 24.2? I even tried a fresh install and it still doesn't work right. All of the ground textures are flat, and if I try to install Astronomer's, it just flat out crashes. I doubt that it is an issue with memory usage considering I have 16 GB of RAM. Is the 7-3 version working for 24.2?

Is anyone else having issues with the Overhaul version crashing in 64 bit windows KSP 24.2? I even tried a fresh install and it still doesn't work right. All of the ground textures are flat, and if I try to install Astronomer's, it just flat out crashes. I doubt that it is an issue with memory usage considering I have 16 GB of RAM. Is the 7-3 version working for 24.2?

As I understand it... You cannot install packs such as Astronomer's into the Overhaul versions, the Overhaul versions are in early development and they only produce atmosphere effects on Kerbin, the other planets are not working yet. If you are interested only in playing KSP and not interested in helping to test the future of EVE then do not install the Overhaul versions.

The 7-3 version is working as it should for 0.24.2.

Anybody can please correct me if I am giving Playful the wrong advice.

BRO, I will say this again and again, THE PACKS for 7-3 do NOT work with 9-2, Its like trying to run Ferrari with Fiat Punto's Keys ! The config files are different!

If you try 9-2 here is a simple config. If you cant some clouds. Put it inside GameData\BoulderCo\Atmosphere\clouds.cfg and replace everything there already

EVE_ATMOSPHERE

{

Kerbin

{

Kerbin-clouds1

{

altitude = 10000

speed = 30

scaledOverlay = Geometry

layer2D

{

detailSpeed = 6

offset = 0,0,0

macroCloudMaterial

{

_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1

_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1

_DetailScale = 60

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_FalloffPow = 2

_FalloffScale = 3

_DetailOffset = 0,0,0

_DetailDist = 2E-06

_MinLight = 0.5

_FadeDist = 8

_FadeScale = 0.00375

_RimDist = 0.0001

_RimDistSub = 1.01

}

scaledCloudMaterial

{

_DetailScale = 60

_DetailDist = 0.0012

_FadeScale = 2.25

_RimDist = .06

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_FalloffPow = 2

_FalloffScale = 3

_DetailOffset = 0,0,0

_MinLight = 0.5

_FadeDist = 8

_RimDistSub = 1.01

}

}

layerVolume

{

texture = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1

offset = 0,0,0

particleMaterial

{

_TopTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/1

_LeftTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/2

_FrontTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/3

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_DistFade = 1

_DistFadeVert = 4E-05

_LightScatter = 0.55

_MinLight = 0.5

}

}

}

Kerbin-clouds2

{

altitude = 15000

speed = 20

scaledOverlay = Geometry

layer2D

{

detailSpeed = 6

macroCloudMaterial

{

_DetailScale = 60

}

scaledCloudMaterial

{

_DetailScale = 60

_DetailDist = 0.0012

_FadeScale = 2.25

_RimDist = .06

}

}

layerVolume

{

texture = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1

particleMaterial

{

}

}

}

}

Laythe

{

Lythe-clouds1

{

altitude = 10000

speed = 30

scaledOverlay = Geometry

layer2D

{

detailSpeed = 6

macroCloudMaterial

{

_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/duna1

_DetailScale = 60

}

scaledCloudMaterial

{

_DetailScale = 60

_DetailDist = 0.0012

_FadeScale = 2.25

_RimDist = .06

}

}

layerVolume

{

texture = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/duna1

particleMaterial

{

}

}

}

}

Duna

{

Duna-clouds1

{

altitude = 20000

speed = 30

scaledOverlay = Geometry

layer2D

{

detailSpeed = 6

offset = 0,0,0

macroCloudMaterial

{

_DetailScale = 60

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_FalloffPow = 2

_FalloffScale = 3

_DetailOffset = 0,0,0

_DetailDist = 2E-06

_MinLight = 0.5

_FadeDist = 8

_FadeScale = 0.00375

_RimDist = 0.0001

_RimDistSub = 1.01

}

scaledCloudMaterial

{

_DetailScale = 60

_DetailDist = 0.0012

_FadeScale = 2.25

_RimDist = .06

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_FalloffPow = 2

_FalloffScale = 3

_DetailOffset = 0,0,0

_MinLight = 0.5

_FadeDist = 8

_RimDistSub = 1.01

}

}

layerVolume

{

texture = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/duna1

offset = 0,0,0

particleMaterial

{

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_DistFade = 1

_DistFadeVert = 4E-05

_LightScatter = 0.55

_MinLight = 0.5

}

}

}

}

Eve

{

Eve-clouds1

{

altitude = 10000

speed = 30

scaledOverlay = Geometry

layer2D

{

detailSpeed = 6

offset = 0,0,0

macroCloudMaterial

{

_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/eve1

_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detaileve1

_DetailScale = 60

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_FalloffPow = 2

_FalloffScale = 3

_DetailOffset = 0,0,0

_DetailDist = 2E-06

_MinLight = 0.5

_FadeDist = 8

_FadeScale = 0.00375

_RimDist = 0.0001

_RimDistSub = 1.01

}

scaledCloudMaterial

{

_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/eve1

_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detaileve1

_DetailScale = 60

_DetailDist = 0.0012

_FadeScale = 2.25

_RimDist = .06

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_FalloffPow = 2

_FalloffScale = 3

_DetailOffset = 0,0,0

_MinLight = 0.5

_FadeDist = 8

_RimDistSub = 1.01

}

}

layerVolume

{

texture = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/eve1

offset = 0,0,0

particleMaterial

{

_Color = 1,1,1,1

_DistFade = 1

_DistFadeVert = 4E-05

_LightScatter = 0.55

_MinLight = 0.5

}

}

}

}

Pol

{

}

Bop

{

}

Tylo

{

}

Vall

{

}

Jool

{

}

Dres

{

}

Ike

{

}

Minmus

{

}

Mun

{

}

Gilly

{

}

Moho

{

}

Sun

{

}

Eeloo

{

}

}

Edited by nismobg

@rbay89 , There is a bug I kept seeing in 9-2. When you edit planetary bodies from the tracking station when you try and go back to KSC you get this :

"[Exception]: UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings."

game freezes to a halt

@rbay89 , There is a bug I kept seeing in 9-2. When you edit planetary bodies from the tracking station when you try and go back to KSC you get this :

"[Exception]: UnityException: Texture 'BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings."

game freezes to a halt

Overhaul "releases" are depricated. I've started shipping a release in the source with every commit.

So if the overhaul line is deprecated, which line on GH should we use? Overhaul seems to be the one most recently updated.

No, you should use 7-3, this is the most recently updated version, as is stated in the thread name. The "Overhaul" releases were only up as dev versions for testing and they do not support any of the third party released packs such as Astronomer's one or Better Atmospheres.

As such - the overhaul is not something you should use. It is stated in the first post.

As such - the overhaul is not something you should use. It is stated in the first post.

No it isn't. There is no mention of "overhaul" or "9-2" or "9-3" or anything similar anywhere on the first page of this forum thread. The first post title is prefixed [23.5] and all the recent thread comments are people talking about the overhaul. Which is apparently now deprecated. It is absolutely not, in any way, clear to people who haven't been following the development of this mod what they ought to do if they want to run EVE on 24.2.