[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Let me kick it off then, I used three different laptops with settings maxed for their respective configurations. And to be honest, I was a bit surprised with what I found. In some cases it seems your shaders actually perform better than the stock ones, though the averages are literally the exact same. My test was not strenuous, so if someone else wants to try another test, go ahead. Settings were default terrain, scatters set to 100%, anti-aliasing 2x, vsync every frame, limit 60 fps, pixel light 12, cascades 8, render fantastic, texture quality full, aerodynamic normal. I think you'll notice the pattern pretty quickly. Anyways, this was done during take off from the launchpad with a 3 part rocket.

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, GeForce GTX 850M, with or without, 60 FPS @ 1080p High Quality

Qosmio X775 - Core i7 @ 2.0gHz, GeForce GTX 560M, with or without, 60 FPS @ 1600x900 High Quality

Sony Vaio F - Core i7 @ 1.73gHz, GeForce GT 425M, with 45, without 45, @ 1600x900 High Quality

Here are some statistics for not using a dedicated graphics card:

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, Integrated Graphics, with 7, without 7 FPS @ 1080p High Quality

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, Integrated Graphics, with 17, without 17 FPS @ 720p High Quality

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, Integrated Graphics, with 24, without 24 FPS @ 720p Reduced Quality (no antialiasing, no vsync, render set to good)

Just for giggles, when you max out all settings:

Asus G550JK - Core i7 @ 2.5gHz, GeForce GTX 850M, with 6, without, 6 FPS @ 1080p Max Settings

Awesome! Thanks! This is a huge relief. I was afraid afraid I would cause huge FPS differences, but I guess I'm still in the clear :)

@rbray89, I was wondering how you got all of these custom shaders into the game, I've been trying to implement my own, and I have no clue how to load them. I noticed on the github repository that there were 2 versions of each shader, one in human-readable code and the other in some compiled format, and that the compiled format is the one that is loaded.

You have to take your unity shader (simple/surface/cg) and compile it in unity, then take that and inject it into the Material( String shaderText ) constructor (http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Material-ctor.html) and then you can get the shader from it.

I embed by shaders as a resource, but you could very-well use a text file.

So... I need some feedback, especially from people with less than stellar graphics cards... I need performance metrics (anecdotal is fine if compared to the "mainline" release of EVE)!

I have a fairly beefy laptop, and can't seem to get KSP to phase it, so I need your help in determining if the new shaders are overkill or appropriate. I'm doing some pretty hefty computation in them, so I need to make sure they will suffice for older computers as well :)

So if some brave souls can install the current overhaul nightly (https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/blob/Overhaul/x64-Release.zip?raw=true) and give it a whirl and report back (FPS, better/worse than current release & by how much, Machine specs) I'd very much appreciate it :)

I have a Lenovo I3 laptop, built in graphics card with 8 gigs of RAM running Linux Mint 17. I have had zero luck with every overhaul, including this new one. The clouds are missing from the game start screen and this is what the spaceport looks like:

VCc80vP.png

Here is one from a little higher up:

aY61TVO.png

Well, the clouds are missing from the start screen for all of us I'd wager, unless I'm forgetting to post a bug. However, this is also how it appears on my laptops as well. I'm guessing it's why the overhaul hasn't been released yet, night looks pretty weird and right now the ocean is messed up

Rbray: I also noticed the terrain shader has no antialiasing lol, not sure why but I run 8x and the rockets/planes/ingame objects are all smooth edged, but the background mountains still have jaggies.

Oh also RSS loading menu freezed on 4/14 after installing the second most recent Overhaul, probably something on my end though, haven't tested it properly yet.

Edited by pingopete

Rbray: I also noticed the terrain shader has no antialiasing lol, not sure why but I run 8x and the rockets/planes/ingame objects are all smooth edged, but the background mountains still have jaggies.

Oh also RSS loading menu freezed on 4/14 after installing the second most recent Overhaul, probably something on my end though, haven't tested it properly yet.

Hmmm... I'll have to look into why. On a side note, the atmosphere is ready to be taken a look at. I still need a better space transition, and the scaled space side isn't implemented, but so far, I think it looks pretty nice.

Hmmm... I'll have to look into why. On a side note, the atmosphere is ready to be taken a look at. I still need a better space transition, and the scaled space side isn't implemented, but so far, I think it looks pretty nice.

I saw the update this morning, pretty exited to try it out though I haven't had the time, got lots of deadlines, will have a look later this evening (GMT)

That is temporary... I needed it gone to test the ocean coloring of the terrain...

Hmmm... I wonder what color the ocean floor is.

*drains oceans to find out*

^this is a joke

Edited by Vaporo

Rbray: just did a quick run, looking very nice, haze looks great, it looks like it runs all the way up to SS now, much nicer :) (could it be present in SS as well-that'd be ideal). Also PQS terrain looks better somehow. PQS frame rate was good/normal to start with but dropped rappidly out of the blue to 8-10fps as I noticed it doing before, this was after some tweaking in the GUI however so it could be to do with reapplying the layers/textures?.. SS has never lagged. PQS water looks real nice too.

I had SS shadows!.. for a little while but only for the cloud mask, detail didn't appear to be influencing the shadows:

eyqioC0.png

But weirdly changing detail distance for the SS clouds in GUI (so to remove detail) somehow broke the shadows?

BTW rbray I can't tell you how great it is to see regular improvements again :D

System specs VVV - note the fps drop occurs even with their stellar'ness

Edited by pingopete

Rbray: just did a quick run, looking very nice, haze looks great, it looks like it runs all the way up to SS now, much nicer :) (could it be present in SS as well-that'd be ideal). Also PQS terrain looks better somehow. PQS frame rate was good/normal to start with but dropped rappidly out of the blue to 8-10fps as I noticed it doing before, this was after some tweaking in the GUI however so it could be to do with reapplying the layers/textures?.. SS has never lagged. PQS water looks real nice too.

I had SS shadows!.. for a little while but only for the cloud mask, detail didn't appear to be influencing the shadows:

http://i.imgur.com/eyqioC0.png

But weirdly changing detail distance for the SS clouds in GUI (so to remove detail) somehow broke the shadows?

BTW rbray I can't tell you how great it is to see regular improvements again :D

System specs VVV - note the fps drop occurs even with their stellar'ness

Thats... odd. I'm thinking that the detail dist just isn't being applied or used properly, which would make sense. I don't think I'm changing to use the scaled space params in scaled space :D

XKCD made it sound much more difficult than it was: https://what-if.xkcd.com/53/

rofl, 'years? bah, I'll just comment out a line here and.....done.'

Overhaul looking as amazing as ever. Really glad to see development back in full steam again :) inspired me to head back over to Kopernicus and give PQS a second try (i'm not a major dev for it, just trying to help the real devs while they are busy). Soon as the blue haze is gone, I'll be using the overhaul all the time, personally. It's amazing!

So... I don't want to spoil anything... but has anyone noticed that the blue haze is a perfect sphere? I'm actually pretty proud of this atmospheric shader. Believe it or not, the geometry is actually a cube. One that is 3000m in size that is centered on the camera. It uses a form of ray-tracing that determines mathematically where the sphere should be in worldspace and projects it as-such on the interior surface of the cube.

We will be able to do the same thing for the other "sphere" shaders to make them have perfect geometry too! This primarily has consequences for RSS and large planets that exist well-beyond the clip distance of the cameras. It will also mean we will be able to reduce the geometry count drastically, which I hope should help with framerates.

But really, I just wanted to say that I turned a cube into a sphere with math.

So... I don't want to spoil anything... but has anyone noticed that the blue haze is a perfect sphere? I'm actually pretty proud of this atmospheric shader. Believe it or not, the geometry is actually a cube. One that is 3000m in size that is centered on the camera. It uses a form of ray-tracing that determines mathematically where the sphere should be in worldspace and projects it as-such on the interior surface of the cube.

We will be able to do the same thing for the other "sphere" shaders to make them have perfect geometry too! This primarily has consequences for RSS and large planets that exist well-beyond the clip distance of the cameras. It will also mean we will be able to reduce the geometry count drastically, which I hope should help with framerates.

But really, I just wanted to say that I turned a cube into a sphere with math.

I did actually notice the smoother horizon, and this should indeed help with rss :) btw could you expose values for the new atmosphere SS transition fade altitude etc, these kinda need some tweaking for RSS :P

I did actually notice the smoother horizon, and this should indeed help with rss :) btw could you expose values for the new atmosphere SS transition fade altitude etc, these kinda need some tweaking for RSS :P

Right now, the only controls are color, altitude (via overlay altitude), and visibility. The idea will be that it will simulate actual atmosphere conditions using math.

A little feedback about the new overhaul:

- Works pretty well for me.

- I L-O-V-E how this new version manages the light over the bodies, much better.

- Beauty atmo effects, but the blue haze is too strong. Overrides the horizon line too much (imho).

- I suggest a powerful reflection effect, in a glass way, for the oceans at mid/far distances. Close to the level of reflection in Eve's oceans.

- It's only me or sometimes the shadows of the clouds seems to work and not? (maybe is too subtle?)

A little feedback about the new overhaul:

- Works pretty well for me.

- I L-O-V-E how this new version manages the light over the bodies, much better.

- Beauty atmo effects, but the blue haze is too strong. Overrides the horizon line too much (imho).

- I suggest a powerful reflection effect, in a glass way, for the oceans at mid/far distances. Close to the level of reflection in Eve's oceans.

- It's only me or sometimes the shadows of the clouds seems to work and not? (maybe is too subtle?)

Thanks!

- Light took a long time to get right, and still isn't perfect. I do like how we can now make the mun as bright as it should be though.

- Haze is easily configured... for now it is a placeholder until I get the framework in-place to tweak it.

- Yeah, right now the specular effect on the water is pretty diffuse... have to get around to tweaking it sometime.

- Possibly. The shadows should work really well at PQS level, but it looks like there is a minor bug with the detail level and Scaled Space.

Right now, the only controls are color, altitude (via overlay altitude), and visibility. The idea will be that it will simulate actual atmosphere conditions using math.

ah ok is the aim to have the parameters affecting it all proportional to planet radius etc?

well, altitude... the idea is that you specify how large the atmosphere extends to, what color it should be, and how dense, and then the shader will assume the highest point is full visibility (no air density), and the lowest is the least visibility (dense air).

I have a Lenovo I3 laptop, built in graphics card with 8 gigs of RAM running Linux Mint 17. I have had zero luck with every overhaul, including this new one. The clouds are missing from the game start screen and this is what the spaceport looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/VCc80vP.png

Here is one from a little higher up:

http://i.imgur.com/aY61TVO.png

I seem to be having problems with the ocean:

http://i.imgur.com/mE667I6.png

I assume after reading some about the overhaul that the blue dome that obscures the clouds is that way for testing, like the removal of the ocean?

My computer dxdiag for spec ref: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvl5xjs4cc8vb8l/DxDiag-3-21-2014.txt?dl=0