[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Yay! New version!

Um, question: For those of us who have already customized the CFGs and textures, did you introduce any new textures or CFGs in this edition?

P.S. The axis of rotation does actually sound like a good idea, now that you mention hurricanes. I can imagine rotating hurricanes would be very awesome. Edited by parameciumkid

[quote name='parameciumkid']Yay! New version!

Um, question: For those of us who have already customized the CFGs and textures, did you introduce any new textures or CFGs in this edition?[/QUOTE]

Only minor config changes. Some of the parameter types changed float to vector3, vector3 to vector2, etc. The GUI will highlight any items it can't parse, so that should help some.

Hi rbray, thanks for your great work. I'm on 1.0.5, 32bit, Windows with -force-opengl and -popupwindow and with the 1.0.5-2 release of EVE, I'm getting z-fighting/flickering issues when I'm in map view or in the tracking station view. Weirdly enough, I'm seeing clouds when I am in the tracking station, but only city lights when I am in the map view. The flickering issue is, however, present in both views. I'm using an NVIDIA Geforce with up-to-date drivers. I'll include some time series screenshots of the z-fighting. You have to zoom in on the original pictures to see it, the compression here in the forum will make the artifacts almost disappear. It's very clearly visible though when in-game.

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/spurv5vtpr4i32s/screenshot1.jpg?dl=1[/IMG]

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/spurv5vtpr4i32s/screenshot1.jpg?dl=1[/IMG] Edited by Sethur
Fixed image links

[quote name='Sethur']Hi rbray, thanks for your great work. I'm on 1.0.5, 32bit, Windows with -force-opengl and -popupwindow and with the 1.0.5-2 release of EVE, I'm getting z-fighting/flickering issues when I'm in map view or in the tracking station view. Weirdly enough, I'm seeing clouds when I am in the tracking station, but only city lights when I am in the map view. The flickering issue is, however, present in both views. I'm using an NVIDIA Geforce with up-to-date drivers. I'll include some time series screenshots of the z-fighting. You have to zoom in on the original pictures to see it, the compression here in the forum will make the artifacts almost disappear. It's very clearly visible though when in-game.[/QUOTE]

Take a closer look while in the tracking station. The lights can be hard to spot.
Is it flickering or something? It should be stretched near the terminator as the light is coming in from a very oblate angle

Hey, rbray89, your mod literally looks fantastic, thanks!

I use 64-bit linux version (on nVidia) and no problems such the ocean on KSC. But the atmospheric planets show some kind of flickering. Firstly, I thought it was lightnings, but I decided to report it to you.

I'm not sure what you need to report a glitch, but here are the log files and an animated gif. I used Duna, because I think its best viewed there...

[SPOILER=The animated screenshot (let it load, please)][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ird4LNm.gif[/img][/SPOILER]

[URL="http://www.filedropper.com/ksp"]The log file[/URL]

Hope this is enough... Edited by jlcarneiro

[quote name='jlcarneiro']Hey, rbray89, your mod literally looks fantastic, thanks!

I use 64-bit linux version (on nVidia) and no problems such the ocean on KSC. But the atmospheric planets show some kind of flickering. Firstly, I thought it was lightnings, but I decided to report it to you.

I'm not sure what you need to report a glitch, but here are the log files and an animated gif.

[SPOILER=The animated screenshot (wait it load)][url]http://i.imgur.com/Ird4LNm.gif[/url][/SPOILER]

[URL="http://www.filedropper.com/ksp"]The log file[/URL]

Hope this is enough...[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... could you try something? While looking at Duna (like in the screenshot) Press ALT+0 and toggle the "Cloud Shadows?" Then hit Apply? I think this is related to the shadows.

[quote name='rbray89']Hmmm... could you try something? While looking at Duna (like in the screenshot) Press ALT+0 and toggle the "Cloud Shadows?" Then hit Apply? I think this is related to the shadows.[/QUOTE]

ALREADY?! Thanks!

I've tried with Duna but did not find the Cloud Shadows option. Then I clicked in a lot of places and it worked. But I don't know what I did. Tried to repeat on Jool with no luck.

Downloading the configs again...

I downloaded the most recent version and I have an issue where the clouds look like they're updating very slowly. As in, they stay still for a few seconds and then jump to the next position. It's very distracting and is noticeable on the ground, in space and for every planet with clouds.

Here's a quick 6 second clip that shows what I mean in map view. I upped the cloud speed and went up to 1000x time warp to make the effect more obvious:

[url]http://gfycat.com/DearestRawBorderterrier[/url]

EDIT: In case it's relevant, here's my clouds.cfg file:
[CODE]EVE_CLOUDS
{
Kerbin
{
Kerbin-clouds1
{
altitude = 4000
speed = 0,30,0
detailSpeed = 0,6,0
offset = 0,0,0
settings
{
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/kerbin1
_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
_DetailScale = 8
_DistFade = 1
_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
_Color = 255,255,255,255
_DetailDist = 2E-06
}
layer2D
{
shadowMaterial
{
}
macroCloudMaterial
{
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailDist = 2E-06
_MinLight = 0.5
_RimDist = 0.0001
_RimDistSub = 1.01
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
layerVolume
{
size = 4000,2
maxTranslation = 0,100,0
area = 24000,4
particleMaterial
{
_TopTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/1
_LeftTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/2
_FrontTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/3
_LightScatter = 0.55
_MinLight = 0.5
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
}
}
Laythe
{
Laythe-clouds1
{
altitude = 6000
speed = 0,30,0
detailSpeed = 0,6,0
offset = 0,0,0
settings
{
_DetailScale = 8
_DistFade = 1
_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
_Color = 255,255,255,255
_DetailDist = 2E-06
}
layer2D
{
shadowMaterial
{
}
macroCloudMaterial
{
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailDist = 2E-06
_MinLight = 0.5
_RimDist = 0.0001
_RimDistSub = 1.01
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
layerVolume
{
size = 4000,2
maxTranslation = 0,100,0
area = 24000,4
particleMaterial
{
_LightScatter = 0.55
_MinLight = 0.5
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
}
}
Duna
{
Duna-clouds1
{
altitude = 8000
speed = 0,30,0
detailSpeed = 0,6,0
offset = 0,0,0
settings
{
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/duna1
_DetailScale = 8
_DistFade = 1
_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
_Color = 255,255,255,255
_DetailDist = 2E-06
}
layer2D
{
shadowMaterial
{
}
macroCloudMaterial
{
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailDist = 2E-06
_MinLight = 0.5
_RimDist = 0.0001
_RimDistSub = 1.01
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
layerVolume
{
size = 4000,2
maxTranslation = 0,100,0
area = 24000,4
particleMaterial
{
_LightScatter = 0.55
_MinLight = 0.5
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
}
}
}[/CODE] Edited by TyrannoFan

Ah, I see. I ended up having to completely rebuild my custom CFG from scratch.
By the way, issues I've seen so far:
- If not all of the planets/moons have an entry in clouds.cfg, sometimes when tabbing to a planet in the Map view the debug log is spammed with an exception about an argument index being out of range.
- When erasing and re-entering values in the color field, the debug log spams with a warning about the color format being invalid until three commas have been typed.
- Layer2D's don't display if a detail texture has been set, even if the main texture has been set. This was easy to solve with a simple 4x4 white square texture, but it wasn't necessary in the last version.
- New cloud layers by default have "1,1,1,1" in the color field, but colors still range from 0 to 255, so this ends up being nearly invisible black rather than solid white (255,255,255,255).
- It's nice being able to put hyperbolic values in the color field for things like over-saturated color effects (Moho looks seriously hot now), but putting large values still doesn't cause the clouds to glow in the dark as it prior to the reboot - no matter how large a value is placed there, clouds at night remain invisible. If you have a different plan for things like aurorae and noctilucent clouds, that's fine, but currently neither the CityLights nor cloud systems can produce them.

I intended to post a log file, but unfortunately I solved all the problems already so they're not visible in there any more xD Hopefully my description at least helps. And I'd put screenshots, but everything looks just fine ;) Edited by parameciumkid
opps

[quote name='rbray89']Hmmm... could you try something? While looking at Duna (like in the screenshot) Press ALT+0 and toggle the "Cloud Shadows?" Then hit Apply? I think this is related to the shadows.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I can't find the "Cloud Shadows?" option... Any tips?

[Triedalotofdifferentcodetoactivatestrikethroughttext]Speaking of shadows (and possible way to disable them) I tried everything I could in the game. Pressing ALT-E and set "Layer2D" shadow to False but this disable all clouds... Pressing ALT-0 does nothing at all. No gui opening. I am using the latest version with KSP 1.05. Here are two screenshots showing "shadow problems":

[spoiler=Click to show screenshots]
[URL="https://www./view/?ntfgnf90l16lrf8"][IMG]https://www./convkey/84e6/ntfgnf90l16lrf87g.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
This one shows shadows light dimming in the VAB! Weird effect. It was actually night time...

[URL="https://www./view/?fm544i93945n825"][IMG]https://www./convkey/0def/fm544i93945n8257g.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
This one shows overdone (In my opinion) cloud shadow light dimming... If there was a way to disable shadow... Scatterer mod is responsible for the fog effect.
[/spoiler]
[/Triedalotofdifferentcodetoactivatestrikethroughttext]

EDIT: I thought I had the last version but no! One got published 12 hours ago. Fixed all my problems. Pressing ALT-0 work fine and replace ALT-E. Scroll down and look for "shadow materials" and set to off or adjust to your liking.

Thanks a lot for the mod rbray! Keep up the awesomeness. :) Edited by Galenmacil

[quote name='jlcarneiro']Sorry, I can't find the "Cloud Shadows?" option... Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Same glitch here
Could not find the cloud shadows option. I Found a section Shadow on Layer2d with default value True. I changed it to false, but the glitch persisted.
I tested it on Jool, It was a little brighter (I guess I can expect that) but those "lightings" didn't go

***Edit***

I forgot to mention I am running KSP 1.0.5 in a debian 8 (kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64) with NVidia GTX 970 card. The NVidia driver version is 352.55. I am using the official propietary driver. Edited by ezequielandrush

[quote name='TyrannoFan']I downloaded the most recent version and I have an issue where the clouds look like they're updating very slowly. As in, they stay still for a few seconds and then jump to the next position. It's very distracting and is noticeable on the ground, in space and for every planet with clouds.

Here's a quick 6 second clip that shows what I mean in map view. I upped the cloud speed and went up to 1000x time warp to make the effect more obvious:

[url]http://gfycat.com/DearestRawBorderterrier[/url]

EDIT: In case it's relevant, here's my clouds.cfg file:
[CODE]EVE_CLOUDS
{
Kerbin
{
Kerbin-clouds1
{
altitude = 4000
speed = 0,30,0
detailSpeed = 0,6,0
offset = 0,0,0
settings
{
_DetailScale = 8
_DistFade = 1
_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
_Color = 255,255,255,255
_DetailDist = 2E-06
}
layer2D
{
shadowMaterial
{
}
macroCloudMaterial
{
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailDist = 2E-06
_MinLight = 0.5
_RimDist = 0.0001
_RimDistSub = 1.01
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
layerVolume
{
size = 4000,2
maxTranslation = 0,100,0
area = 24000,4
particleMaterial
{
_LightScatter = 0.55
_MinLight = 0.5
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
}
}
Laythe
{
Laythe-clouds1
{
altitude = 6000
speed = 0,30,0
detailSpeed = 0,6,0
offset = 0,0,0
settings
{
_DetailScale = 8
_DistFade = 1
_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
_Color = 255,255,255,255
_DetailDist = 2E-06
}
layer2D
{
shadowMaterial
{
}
macroCloudMaterial
{
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailDist = 2E-06
_MinLight = 0.5
_RimDist = 0.0001
_RimDistSub = 1.01
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
layerVolume
{
size = 4000,2
maxTranslation = 0,100,0
area = 24000,4
particleMaterial
{
_LightScatter = 0.55
_MinLight = 0.5
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
}
}
Duna
{
Duna-clouds1
{
altitude = 8000
speed = 0,30,0
detailSpeed = 0,6,0
offset = 0,0,0
settings
{
_MainTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/duna1
_DetailScale = 8
_DistFade = 1
_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
_Color = 255,255,255,255
_DetailDist = 2E-06
}
layer2D
{
shadowMaterial
{
}
macroCloudMaterial
{
_FalloffPow = 2
_FalloffScale = 3
_DetailDist = 2E-06
_MinLight = 0.5
_RimDist = 0.0001
_RimDistSub = 1.01
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
layerVolume
{
size = 4000,2
maxTranslation = 0,100,0
area = 24000,4
particleMaterial
{
_LightScatter = 0.55
_MinLight = 0.5
_InvFade = 0.008
}
}
}
}
}[/CODE][/QUOTE]

I can't seem to replicate this.

Well, I also deleted the city lights plugin as well as the city lights folder in BoulderCo. Since I wasn't using Eve clouds in the config, I deleted Eve's cloud image too. I replaced detail1.dds and duna1.dds with dds conversions of the Astronomer's Visual Pack's detail1.png and duna.png of those textures as well. I downgraded to the first 1.0.5 version and it's working properly now, even though I did those exact same things in that version too.

[quote name='parameciumkid']Ah, I see. I ended up having to completely rebuild my custom CFG from scratch.
By the way, issues I've seen so far:
- If not all of the planets/moons have an entry in clouds.cfg, sometimes when tabbing to a planet in the Map view the debug log is spammed with an exception about an argument index being out of range.
- When erasing and re-entering values in the color field, the debug log spams with a warning about the color format being invalid until three commas have been typed.
- Layer2D's don't display if a detail texture has been set, even if the main texture has been set. This was easy to solve with a simple 4x4 white square texture, but it wasn't necessary in the last version.
- New cloud layers by default have "1,1,1,1" in the color field, but colors still range from 0 to 255, so this ends up being nearly invisible black rather than solid white (255,255,255,255).
- It's nice being able to put hyperbolic values in the color field for things like over-saturated color effects (Moho looks seriously hot now), but putting large values still doesn't cause the clouds to glow in the dark as it prior to the reboot - no matter how large a value is placed there, clouds at night remain invisible. If you have a different plan for things like aurorae and noctilucent clouds, that's fine, but currently neither the CityLights nor cloud systems can produce them.

I intended to post a log file, but unfortunately I solved all the problems already so they're not visible in there any more xD Hopefully my description at least helps. And I'd put screenshots, but everything looks just fine ;)[/QUOTE]

Most things are adressed, though I couldn't replicate the Index out of range and have to table the glow in the dark until next release.

[url]https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/EVE-1.05-3[/url]

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='TyrannoFan']Well, I also deleted the city lights plugin as well as the city lights folder in BoulderCo. Since I wasn't using Eve clouds in the config, I deleted Eve's cloud image too. I replaced detail1.dds and duna1.dds with dds conversions of the Astronomer's Visual Pack's detail1.png and duna.png of those textures as well. I downgraded to the first 1.0.5 version and it's working properly now, even though I did those exact same things in that version too.[/QUOTE]

Don't delete things aside from configs. Read the OP.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

So the z-fighting *Should* be fixed, but I couldn't replicate it to begin with.

"Z-fighting in OpenGL should be fixed. Unfortunately this causes some small extra darkening with geometry very close to ground. This results in a dark border when clouds are above around KSP as an example. Unfortunately on OpenGL platforms this is unavoidable."

The flickering seems to be fixed on Kerbin and Duna, but when I looked at Jool it is better but still there (since Jool is still flickering, I didn't test Eve nor Laythe)...

I noticed the flickering seems to occur always in the center of the view of the planet. I mean, even if change the angle, looking from the poles, for example, the flickering is always in the center. In the picture below, I change the angle to show this...

[SPOILER=The animated screenshot (let it load, please)][img]http://i.imgur.com/MayLPsN.gif[/img][/SPOILER]

[URL="http://www.filedropper.com/ksp_1"]The log file[/URL]

Hope this is enough...

UPDATE: I can confirm, Jool is the only one flickering at the moment. Edited by jlcarneiro

Yeah, this was my suspicion. OpenGl seems to use a much less precise depth buffer than DX, so when it goes to try and get the value for depth testing it fails the check sometimes, even though it is EXACTLY where it should be. We could fix this by removing shadows from Jool I think. If we try to offset the depth check any further than we are now we'll run into bigger black lines around the KSC for example.

Eve and/or Scatterer seems to have some kind of problem/incompatibility in the last changes: atmos are loaded, but unloaded again after one or two secs, leaving the sky black (I've changed the delay with no effect). Also, environmental effects appears completely stopped (froze, no movement), and the volumetrics are gone.
I'm not able to determine the specific problem, so I'm reporting the same to you and Blackrack.
I leave you the logs here:

[URL="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8doOUfa8UN-WGZ5dTVvaVVGaWM/view?usp=sharing"]KSP.log
[/URL][URL="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8doOUfa8UN-VTk4RFQwc0Q0S0U/view?usp=sharing"]output_log.txt[/URL]

[quote name='Proot']Eve and/or Scatterer seems to have some kind of problem/incompatibility in the last changes: atmos are loaded, but unloaded again after one or two secs, leaving the sky black (I've changed the delay with no effect). Also, environmental effects appears completely stopped (froze, no movement), and the volumetrics are gone.
I'm not able to determine the specific problem, so I'm reporting the same to you and Blackrack.
I leave you the logs here:

[URL="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8doOUfa8UN-WGZ5dTVvaVVGaWM/view?usp=sharing"]KSP.log
[/URL][URL="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8doOUfa8UN-VTk4RFQwc0Q0S0U/view?usp=sharing"]output_log.txt[/URL][/QUOTE]

Is this with your configs or mine? There were changes in some parameters (speed)