[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Unfortunately it is an engine limitation. 8K is the best that can be done, and on Macs it is 4K. Make sure you don't have half-res textures set in your KSP settings at start-up.

I'm thinking of ways around the limitation, always looking to improve the quality of the visuals.

Also, how do people feel about a name change? Considering I'm modifying the environment and not touching parts, I was thinking of going with "Environment Visual Enhancements" Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure this mod classes as dynamic as it alters the game itself depending on various factors; so maybe Dynamic Environment Visuals or Dynamic.. something or other, sounds cool :P

There may be room to expand ABOVE it though. ie. add additional particles to make other cloud formations than just a flat layer. However, the base layer will always have a flat bottom.

That's pretty much what I had in mind - outside of precip, the clouds tend to have a flat bottom (not perfectly flat, but close enough to what you already do). I meant piling particles on top to provide varying depth depending on some criteria. I picked alpha on the assumption that it's used as it typically is in alpha blending, so a low alpha would suggest thin clouds, while high alpha suggests opaque clouds (which could be a proxy for "thick rain clouds").

Oh it is certainly doable, but the eve layer image will have to be updated to remove transparency. You can only use color to make layers more transparent, not less.

So there is a limit to how opaque you can make a layer? I tried completely blank white layers with Eve and have had no success.

So there is a limit to how opaque you can make a layer? I tried completely blank white layers with Eve and have had no success.

Have to edit the textures to get a 100% opaque layer.

Very nice! The volumetric clouds fit in perfectly right now. I am still getting a fps drop but I think you said that would be fixed. Will there be different shapes of clouds on different planets? :)

Performance will be fixed tonight.

Also, how do people feel about a name change? Considering I'm modifying the environment and not touching parts, I was thinking of going with "Environment Visual Enhancements" Thoughts?

Planetary Enhancements?

Planetary Visual Enhancements?

Better Than Starting Without Clouds? ;)

Can't wait for weather! I was thinking about sand storms on Duna, very low clouds simulate the "feel" well. What would be awesome would be a cloud layer that size is control by a randomly activated script such that it spends mot of the time under the planet but occasional comes upwards slowly eventually covering the whole planet in red fog then shrinking back down.

Struggling to keep up here! The releases are updated before I get a chance to write up a report.

Test 7 was a little painful to run, but the Test 8 sub-versions are running much smoother.

I am, however, noticing some lag when switching between map and planetary view. Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this?

That lag is most apparent when in low orbit/atmosphere around Eve. Switching from map view tends to take a good four seconds or so, as it loads in layers. Also, I find that frame rates drop when moving the camera in planetary view. This has also coincided with a memory allocation crash. Have the output log if needed.

The weird flickering at the edges of Eve present in Test 8-1 has been resolved in Test 8-2. Looks really good.

Struggling to keep up here! The releases are updated before I get a chance to write up a report.

Test 7 was a little painful to run, but the Test 8 sub-versions are running much smoother.

I am, however, noticing some lag when switching between map and planetary view. Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this?

That lag is most apparent when in low orbit/atmosphere around Eve. Switching from map view tends to take a good four seconds or so, as it loads in layers. Also, I find that frame rates drop when moving the camera in planetary view. This has also coincided with a memory allocation crash. Have the output log if needed.

The weird flickering at the edges of Eve present in Test 8-1 has been resolved in Test 8-2. Looks really good.

Yeah, the lag between switching is due to the creation/destruction of the volume layers. Really, I should be leaving them be when in map view, but the way it is setup now makes that difficult. One of the things I'm working on now.

I updated 2-3 mods today, so I will post this in each of their respective threads, but I can't figure out what went wrong.

Each time I launch a new craft the PhysX time slows down(the MET becomes yellow) and the game starts being super laggy(as in FPS constantly low laggy).

Now..you'll say "Ok, you are launching a craft with many parts, so it's normal". Yes, but! BUT!

The moment I go to the Map view and back it disappears!

I checked the Alt+F2 log. This is spammed several hundred times:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znq6lxw5q42qr85/Screenshot%202014-04-01%2019.16.26.png

EDIT: Added output_log - https://www.dropbox.com/s/g78bn2vshyixs6t/output_log.txt

List of mods updated prior to the bug:

1. Visual enhancements TEST 8.1;

2. Procedural Fairings 2.4.4;

3. Science Alert Beta 1.1a;

Edited by smunisto

I updated 2-3 mods today, so I will post this in each of their respective threads, but I can't figure out what went wrong.

Each time I launch a new craft the PhysX time slows down(the MET becomes yellow) and the game starts being super laggy(as in FPS constantly low laggy).

Now..you'll say "Ok, you are launching a craft with many parts, so it's normal". Yes, but! BUT!

The moment I go to the Map view and back it disappears!

I checked the Alt+F2 log. This is spammed several hundred times:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znq6lxw5q42qr85/Screenshot%202014-04-01%2019.16.26.png

You should include the other mods that you added. The output_log.txt is the one the devs need. The other log doesn't tell us much. Pretty sure this isn't from this mod though.

First off, awesome. However, I have some issues. I'm sure you are already aware of the distance at which the clouds are rendered. Right now they are rendered surely further than necessary. You can literally watch the hexes crawl across the planet as you orbit. I'm sort of interested at what distance they STOP being rendered. A nice fade around the time you get high enough for the hex grouping to be wholly noticeable would smooth the transition and keep the visuals consistent. I doubt you aren't already working on something like this, but feedback is feedback.

There are some other oddities. I expected the billboarding, but why do they appear to rotate like a wheel as you look left and right? It's a really weird effect. I guess maybe to encourage diversity? I'd also like to throw my card into the 'too dense' hat. Since when you are looking up, they overlap anyways, the current density just compounds the depth fighting when you are nearby.

All in all, great work. The new clouds are quite the sight, and though they need plenty of work (I can post some screenshots but the area where night and day meet, you can CLEARLY see the sun and yet the clouds are all gray), this is definitely one of the best mods for KSP. I'll test out the new ones as they come, but the particle clouds are a bit too young to fully appreciate.

First off, awesome. However, I have some issues. I'm sure you are already aware of the distance at which the clouds are rendered. Right now they are rendered surely further than necessary. You can literally watch the hexes crawl across the planet as you orbit. I'm sort of interested at what distance they STOP being rendered. A nice fade around the time you get high enough for the hex grouping to be wholly noticeable would smooth the transition and keep the visuals consistent. I doubt you aren't already working on something like this, but feedback is feedback.

There are some other oddities. I expected the billboarding, but why do they appear to rotate like a wheel as you look left and right? It's a really weird effect. I guess maybe to encourage diversity? I'd also like to throw my card into the 'too dense' hat. Since when you are looking up, they overlap anyways, the current density just compounds the depth fighting when you are nearby.

All in all, great work. The new clouds are quite the sight, and though they need plenty of work (I can post some screenshots but the area where night and day meet, you can CLEARLY see the sun and yet the clouds are all gray), this is definitely one of the best mods for KSP. I'll test out the new ones as they come, but the particle clouds are a bit too young to fully appreciate.

Hmmm... from your description I don't think you are using the newest test release... I can't see the hexagons at all anymore.