Master of EVA. (Minmus version).

Challenge timeframe:-

Estimated: 30 minutes or less, depend on your skill.

Challenge Instruction:-

Create a new Sandbox game. Download and replace the new game with the following persistent file.

persistent.sfs download

Challenge guideline.

1) Go to Minmus.

2) Play [Kerbal Xx]. (Tips: Kerbal Xx is orbiting Minmus at altitude about 6km)

3) EVA a crew member. Double click [Kerbal Xx] set it as target.

4) Descend to Minmus surface using EVA Jet Pack.

5) Plan a flag.

6) Return to [Kerbal Xx] by using the EVA Jet Pack. (Tips: Wait until the right moment. Game time will not be judge for winning the challenge.)

Challenge Rules.

1) [Kerbal Xx] must not be switch to "play/move" at any time, except selecting a crew member for EVA. (Means, Change of [Kerbal Xx] angle or altitude are forbidden.)

2) Screenshot or video proof.

• a) Screenshot while, Planted a flag, with [Kerbal Xx] showing how many km/meter away at the background.
  • B) A maneuver node encounter distance screenshot, showing 2km or less between you and the [Kerbal Xx].
  • c) Screenshot showing you are grabbing the ladder of [Kerbal Xx] with [F:Board] on screen, and show your EVA Jet Pack remaining gas value. And the planted flag as background.
  • d) Finally, enter the pod, and show the [resource tap] that you are not using any bit of fuel, mono-gas. With the planted flag as background.

Winner rewards.

1) A logo showing (Your Forum ID) that you are capable of performing advance EVA.

2) Remaining EVA value will be shown at the logo.

3) "Star" rewards for video recording.

Leader board.

Most EVA value left.

[table=width: 500]

[tr]

[td]1) Aphobius 42.4%[/td]

[td]04Tp5Gu.png[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2) Johnno 15.3%[/td]

[td]jCMWsGM.png[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]3) SkyRender 7.6%[/td]

[td] KIKjA8V.png[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]4) kookoo_gr 3.9% [/td]

[td]P9wY9Ft.png[/td]

[/tr]gPh6DXo.jpg

[tr]

[td]5) NoPanShabuShabu 3.8% [/td]

[td]XnUssV8.png[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

OP proof of do-able challenge.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Sirine
Persistent file updated. Move craft from 5km to 6.1km.

Attempting this challenge, but it looks like the Kerbal Xx is in a too low orbit and gets destroyed after 3 or so orbits.

EDIT: Ran into issues every time I attempted; looks like I'll have to try again later :P

It seems that's true. I've manage to complete the mission in time. And not notice that.

However, I will now pull the craft to 6000 meter.

I accept your challenge!

I have done several EVA landing on Minmus in version 0.1.8 so I gues I could do it in 0.2.2. And I ususaly had more RCS fuel left.

EDIT: Did my first atempt. Landed sucsessfully (sliding for a few kilometers :huh:). But then take off and return was't sucessfull as I tilted my orbit since I have been orienting by suns position which was a mistake.

I would post screnshots but Imgur doesn't want to upload them (46 of them).

I tried recording video but my laptop is not good enough to run both KSP and Fraps wihtout considerable slowdowns and "hickups".

Edited by SilverWarior

Well-done Johnno. You always the best.

@SilverWarior Welcome to the challenge, hope that you post your success attempt soon.

Tips, converting your .PNG screenshot to .JPG image type will let Imgur more than happy to accept them.

Free converter software.. http://download.cnet.com/Bulk-Image-Converter/3000-2192_4-10794624.html

@Sirine

Thank you for your suggestion about converting images to JPG format.

So here are the images of my yesterdays failed atempt (if I sucsessfully manage to embed IMGUR images to my post)

EDIT: Finally figured out how to embed IMGUR album

Edited by SilverWarior

Tomorrow I'll post an entry too, since I'm not home now.

But I think this challenge would be better if we would have to touchdown smoothly, because if this gets serious, it will come down to who can crash better, to use less fuel for the landing.

But I think this challenge would be better if we would have to touchdown smoothly, because if this gets serious, it will come down to who can crash better, to use less fuel for the landing.

I see you realized the advantage of my "landing" approach :cool:

Landing smothy with minimal vertical speed would probably increase RCS fuel consumption about 5 to 10 percent. That is if you are landing on top of the mountain. Some more if you are landing to one of the frozen lakes.

EDIT:

But the problem is that without the video you have no way of saying whether someone landed using such approach or not it this becomes a disqualifying condition. If I wouldn't have shown all those shots of "sliding landing" you would have never guesed I used such approach.

Edited by SilverWarior

@APhobius, SilverWarior thanks for taking part in the challenge. Wish you guys good luck in next try.

The landing part is not important, as long as you do not "crash kill" your crew, I don't really care how far they sliding away.

There are only 4 screenshots that are vital. Please refer to 1st thread.

It's not any sort of record-breaker, but it is pretty nifty for what I pulled off on re-intercept. To wit!

min_eva1.jpg

Jeb got down there perhaps not with optimal fuel left, but certainly with more than enough to get back to the ship.

min_eva2.jpg

Where it gets interesting is when I was going up to intercept with the ship. As you can see, I nailed the initial encounter perfectly.

min_eva3.jpg

That said, it was a less-than-perfect intercept since it ate up a fair bit of RCS.

min_eva4.jpg

Anyway, I pulled that off. Fun times.

About the landing ... don't say that I haven't told you.

EDIT: Hahaha, forgot the flag, eh, since it's a video, I don't think it would make any difference. Anyway, I'm at work now and I can't make a new one until tomorrow.

Edited by Aphobius

About the landing ... don't say that I haven't told you.

EDIT: Hahaha, forgot the flag, eh, since it's a video, I don't think it would make any difference. Anyway, I'm at work now and I can't make a new one until tomorrow.

Well done, Congratulation on your successful EVA.

You don't have to redo the video, the flag are just for indication proof.

There are just a little bit of problem, on my side, I can't seem to tell from the video, what is your remaining gas value. 42.4%???

0quLNRI.png

I have decided to give you another "Star" as for the video recorded effort.

Again, Thanks for taking the challenge, and there are other EVA challenge coming soon.

Yes, it's 42.4%, the video is full HD if you want to be sure, just change it on youtube.

Thank you for the "Star". :)

Your logo will be ready in just a moment.

(Yes, I can view HD, but that will take another 2hrs of downloading your HD video, internet line quality pretty bad at my place.).

Here is attempt. The flag doesn't show probably due to some bug, even though it is activated from the map options display.

You may rearrange you imgur albums via the original upload name. Which should be in sequence. (and remove that #0)

And

Congratulation for completing another challenge. Your logo will be ready in just a moment.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.