Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I have two questions I would like to ask;

1) There was a question answered earlier today (#1946) about disabling the time delay feature. The process involved editing the Remotech_settings.cfg file I have looked in my remote tech folder and I have 4 .cfg files, none of them named settings. Could someone clarify what exactly I need to modify? I am not a programmer so kindly do not use the word "obviously" in your answer.

2) The flight computer built into remotetech, how do I operate it? I have seen people talk about putting delayed commands into it to perform actions when a probe has no active communications. How do I do this? I have tried pressing some of the buttons and all it does is spin my ship around. All I want to be able to do is to re-activate an antenna after re-entry. A simple, "wait 10 minutes then turn this bit on" is all I need.

Thanks.

1) Settings file is only created on first loading... not sure if you need to just load ksp or start a game and launchpad something with a probe core on it.

File will be named: RemoteTech_Settings.cfg

Default line will read:

EnableSignalDelay = True

Change to:

EnableSignalDelay = False

2) Flight compute has an arrow in the lower right to expand it. In the lower right of the expanded view there is a box you can enter a time into. You can put seconds/hours/days etc and hit enter. Just to the left of the box the current command delay should be shown. Try setting that box to your time, hit enter, then hit your command group button. If it worked it should queue up a command the area just above it with a countdown. Confirmed, action groups work with delay.

The navigation buttons will point to useful points on the nav ball, but the current computer seems to bounce around a lot before getting on target. Hopefully that improves in future versions... you can use warp to help it hit it's target (toggle between 5x and 1x warp).

@MeCripp

Where are you getting MaxQ?

Edited by Peppe

Ahh yes I see your point, and as Eric S pointed out. I stand corrected. Think I'm still going to setup a stationary network though and make it more for missions that go beyond Kerbins SOI. I've been thinking of setting up a 4sat 300-400km network to handle missions closer to Kerbin, which will require less power to run so not as worried about periods when the sun isn't visible.

One problem I was thinking of with geostationary was that if you're not using RTG's and you're not careful enough about where the 3 sats are one may end up in darkness, not sure for how long though as the further out you go the less time you would be in shadow. So far I haven't actually experienced that yet though, had been trying to use kOS to setup the network. Same would go for lower orbit, although not being "stationary" I would imagine they might recover faster because of the faster orbital speed. Though like I said, if using RTG's or several batteries I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

Electrical use is not modeled on inactive crafts, but I think most try to make sure it works if the craft is active.

Higher orbits have longer periods in the dark, so require more battery capacity.

All keo orbits spend the same time in darkness. For kerbin's 6 hour sync orbit, 1195.29 second or ~20 minutes are in the dark. Looking at ~3000 battery capacity for an omni antenna and 3 of the basic dishes.

Vs 1900-2000 battery capacity for same comm setup and a lower orbit (650-750km, a safe low orbit for 3 sats).

Stationary would only be useful if you have fixed positions on the ground outside of omni range or don't want to use omni antennas for some reason. Then you could point a dish to a satellite from the ground position and it will always have a connection. The two wide angle dishes can hit all kerbin surface at keo and communicate with all ground targets.

If u look at some of the cfg file like RemoteTech_Antennas.cfg and RemoteTech_Squad_Antennas.cfg in both only half of them have MaxQ = 6000 not all are 6000 but what does it do and why just half have it ?

Max Q is the part of the launch that the rocket is experiencing the maximum pressure as is ascends through the atmosphere. I assume for remote tech, if you have the antennas active while you are launching it will break off at this point.

And at Shania_L what 4 files u see u should have like 6 files and then what u add to add more parts do u have a ModuleManager_***.dll file in there ?

and ty Pursuedtank i can see that like a crashtolerance if deployed

Edited by Mecripp2

Gave in and added this to my stable of mods - I really liked what it added to the gameplay but I was getting the much-reported decouple vessel -> planet disappears -> exploding duplicate ships bug so often that every mission I flew required backing out and doing manual persistent.sfs repairs, so it had to go.

Reinstalling as soon as there's a fix, though!

I'm not sure if it's Remote Tech or Stock KSP 0.23, but I've stripped everything else away and I'm having real problems setting up a network.

The symptoms I'm seeing are:

* The connection lines sort of freezing and dropping their z-axis dramatically on occasion (switching to a different ship will fix this)

* When switching to a ship the camera doesn't zoom to the ship (switching to the map view and back will fix this)

* When switching to a ship occasionally I'll warp inside a planet or something. From this point nothing but alt-F4 will reset things. I typically can't even get back to flight control.

When I was using a full suite of mods, I could set up my 3-satellite Kerbin network fine, but would usually start running into problems when I started setting up a similar network around the Mun. It strikes me as being tied to the ship switching, which is something I have to do quite often when setting up the network

I'm not sure if it's Remote Tech or Stock KSP 0.23, but I've stripped everything else away and I'm having real problems setting up a network.

The symptoms I'm seeing are:

* The connection lines sort of freezing and dropping their z-axis dramatically on occasion (switching to a different ship will fix this)

* When switching to a ship the camera doesn't zoom to the ship (switching to the map view and back will fix this)

* When switching to a ship occasionally I'll warp inside a planet or something. From this point nothing but alt-F4 will reset things. I typically can't even get back to flight control.

When I was using a full suite of mods, I could set up my 3-satellite Kerbin network fine, but would usually start running into problems when I started setting up a similar network around the Mun. It strikes me as being tied to the ship switching, which is something I have to do quite often when setting up the network

I have the same issue. Also my relays sometimes duplicate inside of each other when looking at the space center map thing, so when you enter them they EXPLODE.

I have the same issue. Also my relays sometimes duplicate inside of each other when looking at the space center map thing, so when you enter them they EXPLODE.

Oh yeah, that happened once, too. I was just connecting the third Munar comsat to my third Kerbin one and *poof* the scene from Gravity as I suddenly had about 10,000 tiny parts where my 45 part satellite used to be.

Switch craft -- on load craft is invisible, go to map view and back and it is displayed. Happens every-time. Did not test, which mod does it, but if others narrow it down to remote tech i can confirm it is consistent -- could be a compatibility issue with other common mods. Can give a mod list if needed or maybe confirm Remotetech does it alone/stock.

Got this. Glad to hear that it is probably NOT RT.

Got this too, annoying. I try to remember to go to the tracking station regularly and scan the list of craft for any duplicates. With care!!!; remove the duplicated entries and then things will not explode. Also quicksave often and make copies of the saved game file/s.

Edited by Kaa253

I found that when the comm lines start bug'n out, if I click on the dish/omni button it "fixes" the lines, but once the button is clicked enough to show both omni and dish again the problem comes back. I don't think switching to a different ship fixed it in my case.

Also when I mentioned I was using the test version of RT2 (which I imagine is now the most recent version) I was only using RT2 when the "invisible ship" issue. Now I know that it was likely just zoomed out REALLY far. I've actually had this happen now a few times on the launch pad, but I think as others have said this isn't really an RT issue and is relatively harmless, just inconvenient as you have to zoom in. (EDIT:Just to be clear, being as that I said in the testing I was only running RT2, that also means --obviously but just for the sake of making it clear-- I was not running the interstellar mod.) :)

Unrelated I have problems with my KAC not showing its icon images but I haven't taken the time to try reinstalling it yet as I was on vacation and when I was playing the game I would just close my laptop and let it hibernate, so my game has been "running" for over a week though most of the time it wasn't actually running lol.

At any rate, so far I'm just playing along in career mode until I get all the parts I want to build my kommsats the way I want, then we'll see how things go from there lol.

Edited by Sma

And at Shania_L what 4 files u see u should have like 6 files and then what u add to add more parts do u have a ModuleManager_***.dll file in there ?

I have only RemoteTech_Antennas / _MechJeb / _Squad_Antennas and _Squad_Probes.cfg in the KSP/GameData/RemoteTech2 folder. I have ModuleManager1_5_6 in the GameData folder.

I had thought the missing RemoteTech_Settings would have been due to me updating the mod and not having yet run the game, but no, I have today flown a probe controlled craft and the number of .cfg files remains the same.

The flight computer however is being more co-operative now, even if it doesnt like numbers between 59sec and 1min59 and prefers to jump from 2min and then count down 59sec to 0 twice :) thanks again Peppe for the help.

Think it was a bug it not writing the file here it is if u want and here is a cfg to add RT2 to AIES feel free it edit it https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsz0s1hrognvy9q/RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and the AIES 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr830sryeev2cof/RemoteTech_AIES_.cfg and have seen u can have both ModuleManager1_5_6 and ModuleManager1_5_5 if u have both u will see double commands for about everthing

Edited by Mecripp2

I just made some how to videos.

Part 1: http://youtu.be/a1z6cXjvwQ0

Part 2: http://youtu.be/4Fr0C8cibxs

Part 3: http://youtu.be/8XwvwZL16co

On the cone angel and targeting issues. Basically anything with Gm in it will not cover kerbin + sats in a low orbit around it until it gets very far away.

The number of sats in the relay will affect how wide a cone or how far away you would need to be to see them. With 3 sats you need most of their orbit + radius of the body. With 4 or more sats in a relay you should be able to cover it when you are far enough away to see the radius of the body unless your relay orbits are very large.

Assuming 3 sats in a relay:

Take the widest interplanetary, Communotron 88-88 (.06 angel), if you had things in 2.8Mm orbits to see sats in the worst case (2 on the edge) when focused on kerbin would be ~6,000Mm.

If you had your relays in a lower orbit ( ~750km ) around kerbin using cone target then you could see them reliably at ~2,100Mm.

Jool is the only place you might consider using the 88-88 for local communication relay from the edge of its SOI to the inner moons.

The biggest interplanetary shows a cone angel of .01, but the game is actually rounding the number. The true value is .006 for comtech 1 and .005 for Reflectron GX-128.

Same conditions above the Reflectron would need to be ~71,000Mm away to see KEO sats or 25,000Mm lower orbits.

For 4 sat relays:

Reflectron ~14,000Mm pointed at kerbin sized body

88-88 ~1,100Mm pointed at kerbin sized body

Basically use the largest 2 for communication from kerbin to Dres, Jool, Eeloo.

Use the middle two:

Reflectron KR-14, Communotron 88-88 for communication kerbin to Duna, Eve, Moho.

Use the shortest two for moon communication to edge of SOI communication .

Reflectron KR-7

Comms DTS-M1

-Jool may be the only one that needs point to point or medium dishes for full comms within it's SOI

Omni for surface to low orbit communcation.

Edited by Peppe

On the cone angel and targeting issues. Basically anything with Gm in it will not cover kerbin + sats in a low orbit around it until it gets very far away.

The number of sats in the relay will affect how wide a cone or how far away you would need to be to see them. With 3 sats you need most of their orbit + radius of the body. With 4 or more sats in a relay you should be able to cover it when you are far enough away to see the radius of the body unless your relay orbits are very large.

Assuming 3 sats in a relay:

Take the widest interplanetary, Communotron 88-88 (.06 angel), if you had things in 2.8Mm orbits to see sats in the worst case (2 on the edge) when focused on kerbin would be ~6,000Mm.

If you had your relays in a lower orbit ( ~750km ) around kerbin using cone target then you could see them reliably at ~2,100Mm.

Jool is the only place you might consider using the 88-88 for local communication relay from the edge of its SOI to the inner moons.

The biggest interplanetary shows a cone angel of .01, but the game is actually rounding the number. The true value is .006 for comtech 1 and .005 for Reflectron GX-128.

Same conditions above the Reflectron would need to be ~71,000Mm away to see KEO sats or 25,000Mm lower orbits.

For 4 sat relays:

Reflectron ~14,000Mm pointed at kerbin sized body

88-88 ~1,100Mm pointed at kerbin sized body

Basically use the largest 2 for communication from kerbin to Dres, Jool, Eeloo.

Use the middle two:

Reflectron KR-14, Communotron 88-88 for communication kerbin to Duna, Eve, Moho.

Use the shortest two for moon communication to edge of SOI communication .

Reflectron KR-7

Comms DTS-M1

-Jool may be the only one that needs point to point or medium dishes for full comms within it's SOI

Omni for surface to low orbit communcation.

Thanks for the heads up.

Is there a version of this that doesn't need Module Manager? Please?

Just don't install MM? You will miss the stock antennas though

Also what's wrong with Module Manager?