Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

There is a module manager .cfg file enabling the AIES dishes for use with RemoteTech2 in the AIES thread, somewhere.

I went to find it with what I remembered as that would be more helpful, JohnsonWax posted it in the AIES thread here

I just tried that file... the range now works with Remotetech, but it killed all the deploy animations.

I just tried that file... the range now works with Remotetech, but it killed all the deploy animations.

You can try this 1 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech_AIES_.cfg

And if anyone as the new FASA -3.70 here is a RT2 cfg for it https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp5gf43q6ctckl1/RemoteTech_FASA_Antennas.cfg

Edited by Mecripp2

I'm having a problem, it sounds similar to stuff i've seen posted in here earlier, so I think its remotetech. Basically, i'm getting vessel duplication, the signal lines bugging out by not staying fixed to the current vessel, screens when loading a new flight or switching vessels with not craft, empty GUI and the sound of rockets firing, and missing KSC when returning to space centre. Ive seen the vessel duping here and the signal lines make me think this is the right tree to bark up. Ive left jeb trapped on the moon because of these problems, so any help would be appreciated. Here's some pictures of the problem if my descriptions are lacking.

TfBbKx5.png

NYYmBN2.png

kR34109.png

I'm having a problem, it sounds similar to stuff i've seen posted in here earlier, so I think its remotetech. Basically, i'm getting vessel duplication, the signal lines bugging out by not staying fixed to the current vessel, screens when loading a new flight or switching vessels with not craft, empty GUI and the sound of rockets firing, and missing KSC when returning to space centre. Ive seen the vessel duping here and the signal lines make me think this is the right tree to bark up. Ive left jeb trapped on the moon because of these problems, so any help would be appreciated. Here's some pictures of the problem if my descriptions are lacking. http://imgur.com/a/uI3R4#0

Anybody else not able to have RT2 keep pointing at a node? I'll line it up, and click on the Node button, the probe starts spinning around randomly. Any fixes? Am I doing something wrong?

You have MJ too ? if so trying a new Dev. ver.

You have MJ too ? if so trying a new Dev. ver.

No MechJeb.

Running Ferram Aerospace Research, Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Deadly Reentry Continued, Remote Tech 2, Engineer Redux, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Procedural Fairings, RealChute, ScanSat, Kerbal Attachment System, and just added TAC Fuel Balancer. Are are the latest versions.

I'm having a problem, it sounds similar to stuff i've seen posted in here earlier, so I think its remotetech. Basically, i'm getting vessel duplication, the signal lines bugging out by not staying fixed to the current vessel, screens when loading a new flight or switching vessels with not craft, empty GUI and the sound of rockets firing, and missing KSC when returning to space centre. Ive seen the vessel duping here and the signal lines make me think this is the right tree to bark up. Ive left jeb trapped on the moon because of these problems, so any help would be appreciated. Here's some pictures of the problem if my descriptions are lacking. http://imgur.com/a/uI3R4#0

Install the hotfix, it'll solve most of those problems.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-v1-3-3-Late-Christmas-Edition?p=901076&viewfull=1#post901076

Someone suggesting replacing multitargeting with the following:

• Having the cone of sight affect regular targets as well as planets;
  • Allow 'groups' or 'arrays' of satellites be formed and allow dishes to target anything in that group. I would have to limit these to being in the same SoI (or children of, like Mun).

How does everyone feel about this?

• Allow 'groups' or 'arrays' of satellites be formed and allow dishes to target anything in that group. I would have to limit these to being in the same SoI (or children of, like Mun).

I would really like this feature. Currently there's still times I need to target a specific satellite in a group,

because I'm not far enough from the group to keep the entire group inside the cone of view. But which

of those satellites is also time dependent...

Groups of satellites sounds like it'll open a big nasty can of worms. You'd either have to write some very clever algorithm to determine groups or the user needs to set up groups by themselves, which is probably about the same amount of work as manually switching the Kerbin comsat to the appropriate target.

Not to mention that this is a lot of effort for a very niché problem.

I'd just make cone of sight work for regular vehicles in addition to planetary bodies. The code for that already exists so it should be less effort to implement. Most people seem to experience the problem when they detach a lander from an orbiter and try to land it using the orbiter as relay. So cone of sight should fix this just fine.

Another thing that would make the satellite targeting more user friendly is to allow re-targets from the map view. But I have no idea how easy it is to do so. It might also trivialize interplanetary communication a bit. You'd just put up a small omni relay network and a single big interplanetary relay sat that you'd retarget as you played different craft.

You could do the same right now, but the need to actually switch to your relay sat is enough incentive to just put up 6 interplanetary comsats that each point to another planet.

I'd just make cone of sight work for regular vehicles in addition to planetary bodies. The code for that already exists so it should be less effort to implement. Most people seem to experience the problem when they detach a lander from an orbiter and try to land it using the orbiter as relay. So cone of sight should fix this just fine.

Another thing that would make the satellite targeting more user friendly is to allow re-targets from the map view. But I have no idea how easy it is to do so. It might also trivialize interplanetary communication a bit. You'd just put up a small omni relay network and a single big interplanetary relay sat that you'd retarget as you played different craft.

You could do the same right now, but the need to actually switch to your relay sat is enough incentive to just put up 6 interplanetary comsats that each point to another planet.

I added that feature in the 0.23 version. On the right side of the screen is a focus switcher, a list of all satellites you can switch focus to. This changes the configuration box in the bottom right.

I added that feature in the 0.23 version. On the right side of the screen is a focus switcher, a list of all satellites you can switch focus to. This changes the configuration box in the bottom right.

That never worked for me, the icon in the bottom right turns orange and nothing happens when I click on it.

That never worked for me, the icon in the bottom right turns orange and nothing happens when I click on it.

Well then, another thing to add to my list of test cases.

I'll be writing up an excel sheet of a 100 or so (hopefully) features and tests that must pass before a new version goes out the door.

Ooh, I never knew this. Been playing with remotetech for almost a year and I still don't know all the features >.<

Ignore what I said, you are awesome!

I would really like the first, is a bit weird IMO that a dish pointed at a planet can contact anything in its cone of sight, but if pointed to a craft none other.

About the second, I sense some issues may come from that (e.g., what if an "array" is so sparse that some of its members are actually outside of the dish cone or range?). Believe Ralathon could be right in this regard.

target groups would be so cool..

just launched a voyager probe and the dish cone is sooo small.. you have to target a craft directly to stay connected. but what if the target is behind the planet? just pick the next target out of the group.

this feature would make interplanetary launches so much easyer!

The first one would be CPU intense?

The second one sounds really nice. It reduces the number of dishes needed on ships and the necessary targeting of dishes criss-cross-around the system ... but does it?

Hmmm ... if the problem comes up while departing a planet, calling for a short range-wide area dish at first and switching to a narrow-long-range dish at some point - which would again not be able to see every satellite because of its narrow cone ...

Having two dishes targeting two satellites in Kerbins orbit should be enough, as long as there is a 24/7-360° coverage of Kerbin, always connecting a satellite triangle/square/ring to KSC, so targeting two satellites that are on opposing sides of the planet will always connect the ship - as long Mun and Minmus keep away ...

But the satellites would still have to target the same vessel (via "active vessel") - which only is sufficient if the vessel is not to be split into several probes for instance, because then the satellites would again have to target one specific vessel, the probe-mother-ship, as the different probes most likely would not carry large dishes and would not be targeted from Kerbin's satellites when they become the active vessel.

So, as far as I can see right now, the only thing that would profit from an array is a vessel in transit that will not be used to relay commands to anything else - making the "two dishes targeting to opposingly orbiting satellites" option easier, no?

If the problem is targeting a comm-relay at another planet, then maybe the cones are just to narrow to hit something in the targeted planets orbit?

If the suggestion stems from the problem having to setup satellites with loads of dishes to always establish contact to every other body in the system, then perhaps let dishes in Kerbin's SOI link to every satellite targeting Kerbin?

Edit: On second thought this would make things a bit easy ...

Edited by KerbMav

First one, it's a nice addition but with limited usage in my opinion (but still a good idea).

The second one is a great idea. and they can just be grouped by a naming format differing only by a number of at the end e.g. like 'Relay Satellite - 1' 'Relay Satellite - 2' would be in the same group (well, this is how I call my relay satellite).

Otherwise they could be grouped by having the same name as anyway after you won't need to target them singularly anymore (and it would be in fact even easier, with almost no ui changes needed).

Right now I always have the problem of having to target a single satellite with a long distance antenna until I am far enough from the planet to switch to a aim at the planet itself, the first point will avoid me to switch to the planet aim, but the second one will allow me just target the relay satellite and that's it.

Edited by oktav

Anybody else not able to have RT2 keep pointing at a node? I'll line it up, and click on the Node button, the probe starts spinning around randomly. Any fixes? Am I doing something wrong?

This is tough for me to duplicate. As a test, I removed all the mods, started a sandbox game, and "launched" a probe probe with nothing but an RCS sytem, and hacked gravity. It was able to hold attitude at the node. I added back all the mods, and it still worked fine. So I figured, it's not the presence of the mods, but maybe the mod parts on my real game probe. So I loaded up my real game probe (from my launch stack), hacked gravity, and released the probe, expecting it to act wonky. It acted perfectly fine at KSC.

In the same game, while at Jool, the same probe design can't hold attitude. I suspect it may have something to do with location or relative speed to KSC. I recall DRE had similar issues with initial speed being calculated based on Kerbin, destroying ships too far away.

I pretty much never use the cone/target a planet since I don't know how it works and I don't see how much different it would be than just pointing two sats at each other. The second bullet point to me seems to imply I target a group and it chooses available relays from that, so I could target all my GEO sats from one probe instead of having to settle with just one. This sounds like a very nice addition since my main issue with the current system is that if the targeted relay is obstructed by Kerbin or whatever else, the probe will lose connection with no way of changing it. It would be nice to have a fallback relay, if KEO 1 above KSC is out of sight, target KEO 4 behind it.

I have a request, and I don't know if anyone else has requested this or not, but if possible, I'd like to have an option to see the range of a given antenna on the map view. I find the current range given on the parts is a little difficult to figure out in some situations, just as an example off the top of my head, if I had a control station on Duna, I know the 60gm dish will carry to Kerbin, but could I use that same dish to control a probe going into Eve, if I realized the probe would be on Eve's dark side, relative to Kerbin? I'm not so good with the math, but if there was an overlay on the map I could turn on and see if the range overlapped Eve or not, that would be sweet.

I have a request, and I don't know if anyone else has requested this or not, but if possible, I'd like to have an option to see the range of a given antenna on the map view.

Seconded! For the omnis, too, I'd like to see an alternate view that, instead of the network of lines, makes a 'cloud' that shows covered area. If that's possible.