Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Thanks for the vid. With queued commands it would seem that you (if you knew the timing) could land a probe out of contact, though I can see why people are drooling over kOS, "but that's another show".

So back to flight computer I got to thinking (and maybe this is already possible somehow??), wouldn't it be useful to send a stage command? Parachute stage comes to mind. IE: schedule a deorbit burn and queue up the chutes to stage a while later.

Cilph- your doing excellent work!!

Delayed staging is already supported. Just set up the delay first and then press space bar. A stage task will be added to the queue.

Would someone be interested to make a .cfg files for the AEIS mod? It contains a lot of antennas that can be put to good use.

I've made one for my personal use. but i don't know if it's allowed to post it here...

And also, i made some small adjustment so that some dishes have separated their activation from their extend animation, so you can have them working while still in folding state, like AIES CL-1 medium dish.

Would someone be interested to make a .cfg files for the AEIS mod? It contains a lot of antennas that can be put to good use.

I've already put one up, linked over in the AIES mod thread.

AIES tech tree/RT2 files

This requires ModuleManager 1.5. I need to update the power consumption on the antennae since Cliph lowered the power utilization. Probably need to re-evaluate the ranges as well with the new dishes he introduced as well.

@HoneyFox; I would be very interested in how you were able to get that antenna / animation, to work properly with RT2. I really want to get that one working for my main command capsule. When i tried to get it to work, it would start its animation in the VAB, and then stay there. Makes it impossible to put under fairings without it looking stupid... you can PM me if you wish.... Many thanks.

@HoneyFox; I would be very interested in how you were able to get that antenna / animation, to work properly with RT2. I really want to get that one working for my main command capsule. When i tried to get it to work, it would start its animation in the VAB, and then stay there. Makes it impossible to put under fairings without it looking stupid... you can PM me if you wish.... Many thanks.

Oh? I haven't encountered such situation.

Three things i know:

allowManualControl in ModuleAnimateGeneric: allow/disallow you to manually toggle the animation.

DeployFxModules in ModuleRTAntenna: decides the indices of animation modules of this part to be played when it's being activated/deactivated.

ProgressFxModules in ModuleRTAntenna: I'm not sure what it is but it seems like to be related to data transfer action, perhaps these animations will be played when the antenna is transmitting science data, etc.

So if the animation is playing in VAB, it may because the antenna is set to be activated automatically (there is such a parameter that controls this behavior) while it has DeployFxModules defined, so it will even be activated in VAB and will then play its deploying animation accordingly.

Sorry to pigpile so late in the thread, but I just downloaded 1.2.7 from http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/?p=38721. KSP stops loading when it runs across the GameData\RemoteTech2\Parts\GigaDish1\parts\RTGiga[the rest not visible] and pauses. Note, the flavor text on the load screen (Biding time / pointing correct end toward space / etc) continue to advance, so I don't think this is a freeze or crash issue. Yes, I was able to repeat this issue by deleting the mod, redownloading, re-extracting, and reinstalling.

I upgraded from RT1.2.0 (...? I think) and there were no similar KSP loading errors before the switch, though I did decide to upgrade to attempt to nail down some wierd throttle issues, noted to have been addressed in the devlog. I also had problems loading the RT interface textures on the map screen, so I wanted to see if I could replicate that problem with a mroe recent version as well.

I also note that the item visible on the load screen refers to GameData\RemoteTech2\Parts\GigaDish1\parts\RTGiga... Under Parts\GigaDish1, there is a parts.cfg file, but no Parts subfolder, and no subfolder in the entire download has any file or folder that begins with "RT".

I finally note that a few of the parts.cfg files (such as those in both GigaDish folders) have some wierd formatting issues within the file itself. No carriage returns, all the text and the arguments are smooshed together in a single runon line. I attempted to parse it into separate carriage returns, but that had no apparent effect on my loading issue.

Any help?

Oh? I haven't encountered such situation.

Three things i know:

allowManualControl in ModuleAnimateGeneric: allow/disallow you to manually toggle the animation.

DeployFxModules in ModuleRTAntenna: decides the indices of animation modules of this part to be played when it's being activated/deactivated.

ProgressFxModules in ModuleRTAntenna: I'm not sure what it is but it seems like to be related to data transfer action, perhaps these animations will be played when the antenna is transmitting science data, etc.

So if the animation is playing in VAB, it may because the antenna is set to be activated automatically (there is such a parameter that controls this behavior) while it has DeployFxModules defined, so it will even be activated in VAB and will then play its deploying animation accordingly.

In digging through the AIES thread, i found a patch .cfg for the AIES mod to be RT2 compatible. I will test it tonight and tomorrow and see how it does for the antenna(s)..... Thanks HoneyFox for your help...

In digging through the AIES thread, i found a patch .cfg for the AIES mod to be RT2 compatible. I will test it tonight and tomorrow and see how it does for the antenna(s)..... Thanks HoneyFox for your help...

Oh? Perhaps @Dante80 you can try this... I'll take a look at this too.

Since people were talking about how to use the flight computer, could anyone give any advice on how to do trickier stuff like land a probe on a body without an atmosphere with several seconds time delay? It's difficult to point it by hand because of the delay, and difficult to set up a good node in the orbit planner under time pressure. Atmosphere is easy, just open the parachute and done.

Since people were talking about how to use the flight computer, could anyone give any advice on how to do trickier stuff like land a probe on a body without an atmosphere with several seconds time delay? It's difficult to point it by hand because of the delay, and difficult to set up a good node in the orbit planner under time pressure. Atmosphere is easy, just open the parachute and done.

It is quite hard... (that's why KOS integration is important and let's look forward to it in future versions)

I would: first plan a burn to remove horizontal velocity as accurate as possible. Then start to design the queue of landing process by placing a maneuver node close to the ground and I can then get the correct delay, then the hardest part comes: you need to calculate the throttle and time.

I don't know if there's any useful tool for this, but i've only successfully landed on Minmus and only for once. :blush:

For other bodies with bigger gravity, even a small error of calculation will result to:

crashing due to early engine cut-off,

get landed but with something broken due to high touch-down velocity,

cannot get landed because vertical velocity turns to positive due to too much thrust,

landed safely at first but the ignition doesn't stop at that moment and the vessel takes off again and then crashes back to the ground.

My only case of success is because the landing process is a relative short one, and the gravity is really small on Minmus so i can almost use the simple equation of h=v*t+0.5*a*t^2, and then reduce that "t" a little bit to avoid take-off again after it's landed. On Minmus, 1 second of early engine-cutoff won't hurt much you know...

Edited by HoneyFox

Is there a dummies guide to the communication system somewhere? I've got a couple of comm satellites in orbit but I can't get all of them to talk together.

Funny I was thinking the samething for the flight computer.

Is there a dummies guide to the communication system somewhere? I've got a couple of comm satellites in orbit but I can't get all of them to talk together.

Two types of comm devices: omni antennas & directional dishes.

Conditions of a successful link-up between two vessels:

1. The antenna/dish has to be activated, and you need sufficient electric charge for it.

2. The other satellite needs to be in line of sight to you. If there's any body like Kerbin, Mun, etc. between you, the comm link will be occluded.

3. The signal strength needs to be powerful enough. For this, RT2 seems to have several different criteria of judging whether the signal is strong enough or not. Better check other guys' posts in this thread.

Conditions of having control:

1. You have a working manned command pod on-board, this will be Local Control (no signal delay obviously because that kerman is controlling the vessel directly).

2. If you don't have a working manned command pod, you then need a link routed to any command station.

A command station can be: a) KSC. B) any vessel that has some certain part (by default: the stock 2.5m unmanned command guidance unit) AND has at least 6 kermen on-board.

3. The signal strength needs to be powerful enough. For this, RT2 seems to have several different criteria of judging whether the signal is strong enough or not. Better check other guys' posts in this thread.

Standard RT2:

Both antennas must have the range to reach the other one.

Omnis just connect to every other omni in range.

Dishes have to be pointed at vessels/bodies - when pointing at a vessel, a point to point connection is established between two antennas only; when pointing at a body, the dish will connect to every antenna in range inside a cone that is either an omni or a dish pointing back at it one way or the other.

NathanKell's Special:

Wait for some official announcement, not yet implemented though anyway.

I believe I have figured out a workable constellation of satellites for ops in low to mid kerbin orbit by using 3 geosynchronous satellites. I haven't run into any issues with these three satellites at least.

My question comes with how to set up a communications for going to other bodies. Will I need a second set of satellites for Mun and Minmus operations and then a third set for interplanetary flights?

Would a highly eccentric polar orbit work best for an interplanetary comm satellite? I'm talking about something with a few nice big GX-128 on it.

As I understand it, if I sent a probe to Duna, I would point a long range dish at Duna and on the probe I would point a long range dish at Kerbin and that would allow communication between Mission control and the probe, correct? Assume the kerbin dish being pointed at duna is on a satellite connected to mission control.

As echoed above, a general guide on how to set up some basic networks would be awesome. I'll have to read through this entire thread at some point, but a newbie guide for the mod would be awesome to start off with.

My question comes with how to set up a communications for going to other bodies. Will I need a second set of satellites for Mun and Minmus operations and then a third set for interplanetary flights?

For all day coverage of operations all around an on the moons, this is reasonable. If you can live with durations without connection, a single mid-high orbit satellite might suffice for them.

Always keep in mind the time a satellite will cover a certain area/is behind the moon without connection itself.

Muns "front" is easy, always facing Kerbin; its farside would need a satellite.

Minmus is rotating, if you are patient, you could get away with no satellite at all.

Would a highly eccentric polar orbit work best for an interplanetary comm satellite? I'm talking about something with a few nice big GX-128 on it.

One would be good, two would be better. Make their orbits have equal periods, so that while one is far above Kerbin and its moons the other is slinging around Kerbin.

Nice idea actually! Lowers the chance for obstruction by Kerbin or its moons compared to long range satellites in the orbital plane.

As I understand it, if I sent a probe to Duna, I would point a long range dish at Duna and on the probe I would point a long range dish at Kerbin and that would allow communication between Mission control and the probe, correct? Assume the kerbin dish being pointed at duna is on a satellite connected to mission control.

Yes, but point a dish at the probe too - or "active vessel" - for mid-flight corrections!

Edited by KerbMav

So, the flight computer as of now works similar to Smart A.S.S., but it can also queue commands for later, like burn at x% for ys / zm/s and I read somewhere it could stage.

Can it also make use of action groups?

It seems like it can only comprehend one maneuver node?

The node could be left for KAC to safe as an event, are the commands saved when switching the vessel/going EVA?

And what about a whole flight plan with several nodes?

Also: Which were the legacy antennas that could be deleted? I am currently suffering from MIRF. (Memory Imprint Reduction Frenzy)

Edited by KerbMav

So, the flight computer as of now works similar to Smart A.S.S., but it can also queue commands for later, like burn at x% for ys / zm/s and I read somewhere it could stage.

Can it also make use of action groups?

It seems like it can only comprehend one maneuver node?

The node could be left for KAC to safe as an event, are the commands saved when switching the vessel/going EVA?

And what about a whole flight plan with several nodes?

Also: Which were the legacy antennas that could be deleted? I am currently suffering from MIRF. (Memory Imprint Reduction Frenzy)

Old antennas were already removed from what I can see. All current antennas are used in RT2

I've already put one up, linked over in the AIES mod thread.

AIES tech tree/RT2 files

This requires ModuleManager 1.5. I need to update the power consumption on the antennae since Cliph lowered the power utilization. Probably need to re-evaluate the ranges as well with the new dishes he introduced as well.

Oh? Perhaps @Dante80 you can try this... I'll take a look at this too.

Thanks for the link, cheers. Will test today. C:

Delayed staging is already supported. Just set up the delay first and then press space bar. A stage task will be added to the queue.
Thanks for the link, cheers. Will test today. C:

Works great so far, just got the AIES pack and tossed in Johnsonwax's files and they seem to work. Now I'm just looking for how to make things FAR compatable (I'm getting a wobble, I'm thinking the Fairings are causing some weird drag thing.)

Old antennas were already removed from what I can see. All current antennas are used in RT2

He may be talking about something Cilph said a while back, there are parts in RT2 that are depreciated now, they're still there but not needed/being replaced by newer versions. Reason for keeping them in is to avoid breaking ships/vessels/probes that use them. I could be wrong though it's been known to happen. ;)

First of all, I wanted to congratulate - this mod together with some probe parts (I use Near Future mod by Nertea) gives splendind results, as my Voyager I mission clearly shows (I changed the skybox during the mission):

uobSnb5.png

Phv9tU8.png

7USh6VW.png

8WbY58o.png

oikP5Ca.png

9OGtPAV.png

The key is the retrograde orbit - I'm moving too fast to be captured and fast enough to use gravity assists :)

However, there is one thing which could be improved - could you please modify the window for the delay signal so that it shows minutes, not only seconds? It's a small thing, but using the mod would be sligtly more comfortable :)

And to report on the MJ2 things a few page earlier : Cilph pointed me to the problem. I found why it does that, now I need to find how to fix it. Don't hold your breath but It will come.

It's now fixed. Those interested can get MJ dev version #105+

I installed 1.2.7 and have a few issues / remarks to make...

Time Delay

I love time delay! But really, now we are not able to land a probe remotely anywhere but Kerbin's moons right? Am i missing something?

Flight Computer

Issue 1, not precise Delta/v calculation. I think everyone must have noticed that by now, the delta/v burn command to the flight computer will not burn the amount expected by a node guide...

Issue 2, In a repetitive occurrence i could not make the Flight Computer to point straight. This happened on two identical very small probes that were attached to a main probe. Once detached and they were on their own, when i commanded them to point to Retrograde or the Node they would just spin out of control rolling like crazy. Unless i hit the time warp button fast enough, they'd spin so fast that i'd get the 'cannot warp while in acceleration' message, essentially rendering the game inoperable until a cancel command reached the vessel (~3m)...

Let me know if you'd like me to repost to GH

Edited by babbos